• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

firelogic

Just checked the trophies, some interesting numbers:

86% percent of users finished The Proving.
75% scaled a Tallneck
70% killed every machine in a corrupted zone
63% Completed the War Chief quest
58% Completed a Cauldron
17% Finished the game (how many hundreds of thousands of people is it? around 500K I presume)

I don't know if this data is reliable, besides people have to sync their throphies but still.

PSN should indicate the total number of people who own each game on the trophy page. The stats are kind of meaningless without it. I'd like them to get even more granular and show the actual number of people that got each trophy against the total owners of the game. And by owners, I mean ones that have synced.

danowat

Banned
will probably be another few weeks before I finish it, and I'm OK with that!.

What are people's thoughts on the open world padding , flowers, banuk figures etc?

Would the game have been at a detriment without them?.

Shock32

How awesome are the
stalker enemies
. Sneaking into an area and seeing one just waiting there up on the side of a mountain. Some predator shit.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member

What are people's thoughts on the open world padding , flowers, banuk figures etc?

I liked them as it gave me incentive to explore more of the world. Rewards for getting them all should have been better though and I think the game would have been fine without them.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
How awesome are the
stalker enemies
. Sneaking into an area and seeing one just waiting there up on the side of a mountain. Some predator shit.
i was hiding in some tall grass and panned around to see the shimmer of one standing right over me in silence. Theyre actually super creepy. Speaking of, those red laser mine things - does shooting them disable em or does it just attract you know who? Haven't been able to figure it out yet - i know triggering them seems to attract some attention.

Shock32

i was hiding in some tall grass and panned around to see the shimmer of one standing right over me in silence. Theyre actually super creepy. Speaking of, those red laser mine things - does shooting them disable em or does it just attract you know who? Haven't been able to figure it out yet - i know triggering them seems to attract some attention.

I tried shooting one and nothing happened so I never tried again. Im pretty sure they are flares and you cant hide even in grass. The detection seems varied on them as well. Some times I think im clear and trigger one, other times I think im going to trigger one and I don't. Cool stuff tho

BigDug13

I liked them as it gave me incentive to explore more of the world. Rewards for getting them all should have been better though and I think the game would have been fine without them.

Yeah in hindsight maybe some artists could have been making more Aloy outfits as rewards instead of random modifications that are most likely redundant or worse than what you have by then.

JP_

Banned
I think when I shot one, it alerted them but I was still hidden. So it was actually a way to get them to blow their cover and let me set up an ambush.

Banuk figures are cool, have a good story behind and there are really few of them.

Flowers... they're not as interesting and there could be less, but they are tied to the main story in a way so they are necessary.

Vantage point are a must, best collectible.

Coffee Cups, worthless imo.

Elandyll

Banned
How awesome are the
stalker enemies
When I met my first one, my wife and kids were watching me play.
They all got mesmerized at the game of cat and mouse we played for nearly 10 minutes, the Stalker avoiding my traps and laying down his own, going in and out of stealth, sniping me or going into melee depending of when I was vulnerable to either.

I kept going wtf, and I think my kids were actually rooting for the Stalker...

On another note, Platinumed it last night with 100% completion, but I don't want to stop :(
Probably time to continue other things though.

Shooting them triggers them. Very useful for luring the Stalkers into traps. And aye, they are my favorite HZD enemy by far. They have an awesome design and no matter how far along you are in the game they retain their ability to be threatening.

r81XBai.png
QyYj79z.png

Love stalkers~!

DPB

I could have done without the flowers and cups, it was too much like looking for a needle in haystack. I liked the vantage points and Banuk figures though, as they all gave you pieces of a story and their placement felt more logical rather than being placed at random.

i'm glad that they didn't go overboard with the number of collectables, 60 is much fewer than the usual for this type of game.

Shock32

They all got mesmerized at the game of cat and mouse we played for nearly 10 minutes, the Stalker avoiding my traps and laying down his own, going in and out of stealth, sniping me or going into melee depending of when I was vulnerable to either.

On another note, Platinumed it last night with 100% completion, but I don't want to stop :(

Yep definitly my favorite enemy encounters. They hide and adapt to you, compared to everything else that just kinda charges at you.

XD

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
I like to purposely set off flares and hide in nearby grass. The stalker comes running and is wide open for overriding. Just be sure that you're not in line of sight when the flare goes off.

Too bad stalkers kind of suck as allies though.

bombshell

PSN should indicate the total number of people who own each game on the trophy page. The stats are kind of meaningless without it. I'd like them to get even more granular and show the actual number of people that got each trophy against the total owners of the game. And by owners, I mean ones that have synced.

That will never happen unless sales numbers for every game suddenly were made public info.

Humdinger

Still really enjoying the game. Level 27. Really love the world -- so beautiful. In terms of difficulty, some parts have been tougher than I expected (playing on Normal), but overall it's been quite manageable.

It's a game made with heart and great care. I really appreciate the time they put into this. They deserve all the success.

Finished the
Heart of the Nora
mission last night. Aloy is consistently woke as fuck in this game. When they
bowed and called her "anointed of the Nora" and she told them to get back up and gave that speech
it was quite powerful.

so i'm trying to get all my blazing suns on my way to my platinum but found that one of the trials is glitched.

at the Greatrun Hunting Grounds if you do the part collection trial you need to tie down tramplers and shoot off the big yellow part on their bellies.

well, i get the first one just fine, but as soon as i do the second one it immediately tells me no more enemies available and that i've failed the trial. i tried 5 times now and every single time i absolutely nail the trial but it tells me i've failed because i ran out of enemies. even though there's still one trampler left and both of the first two were done 100% correctly.

hopefully it's a bug they just need to patch out but i'm really bummed as i was hoping to get my platinum this weekend. anyone else encounter this issue?

so i'm trying to get all my blazing suns on my way to my platinum but found that one of the trials is glitched.

at the Greatrun Hunting Grounds if you do the part collection trial you need to tie down tramplers and shoot off the big yellow part on their bellies.

well, i get the first one just fine, but as soon as i do the second one it immediately tells me no more enemies available and that i've failed the trial. i tried 5 times now and every single time i absolutely nail the trial but it tells me i've failed because i ran out of enemies. even though there's still one trampler left and both of the first two were done 100% correctly.

hopefully it's a bug they just need to patch out but i'm really bummed as i was hoping to get my platinum this weekend. anyone else encounter this issue?

That's weird. Try reloading your save or fast travel from one place to this one. Could fix the issue.

Finished the
Heart of the Nora
mission last night. Aloy is consistently woke as fuck in this game. When they
bowed and called her "anointed of the Nora" and she told them to get back up and gave that speech
it was quite powerful.

She should have demanded 20 Fox Skins before getting all humble.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
"Over animated" such a strange complaint , its looks awesome and that shall be the final goal of the animator and for me he achieved it with finesse.
Character movement animation is really great in this game.
It's flashy at the expense of player agency. Similar mechanics in other games are at the same time incredibly well animated while maintaining a sense of groundedness. Don't take my criticism so personally, I think he did a good job otherwise.

Man finally left Daytower. The east section is easily the Hinterlands. I want to go back and finish finding collectibles but I'm level 20 and need to pick up the main story lol.

As I posted a few days ago, I purchased that game on accident while viewing its videos on PSN. Since then I have not been able to stop playing or thinking about it.

The first thing I noticed upon booting up the game was the almost flawless transition between cutscenes and gameplay. This game is truly a pleasure to look at; although, I have had problems with the brightness, or lack there of, in certain parts of what I have played so far.

The next thing that stood out to me was the animation, especially Tessa's. Those minute eye movements and facial ticks are incredible. Every scene that she is in draws me further and further into the world. She is a woman at the penultimate of her life, but she is also a woman who is mischievous, quick-witted, and kind. She is a scene-stealer. She has an aura of 'it ain't over yet!' to her.

The diversity in this game is amazing. As a POC,
Olara, Olin, Resh
, not only talk like but emote like people I know in real life. They look like them too.All characters seem to have had equal effort dedicated to their characterizations.

The world is HUGE but not desolate. I almost feel overwhelmed with the amount of content in the world; though, the way they have intertwined the character's stories always pushes me forward.

In regards to combat, it's extremely enjoyable and I love that players are free to employ their own play style. Nothing beats turning machines on each other, but if you want to set booby-traps that's fine as well.

I am yet to arrive at
Meridian, but I just finished the first cauldron.
I will admit I had some issues as I did not procure the necessary items before hand. When I got to the final boss I was in quite a predicament. I struggle many times and ultimately bested my
feathered foe[?]
, but I had to use every weapon, tactic, and ounce of patience and determination I could muster. BTW: I'm playing on normal difficulty, which is more than enough for me :p.

The only issues I have encountered in game are structures getting in the way of my characters movement. One random beam in the final chamber of the first cauldron resulted in my death twice - I was not happy about it.

This game has reinvigorated my 'gamer's spirit' and I have been happy to share everything about it with anyone who games (whether they ask or not :p).

I am excited for what is to come in the rest of the game. However I already can tell that it will be amazing!

Sorry for the super long post.

TLDR: GAME. OF. MY. LIFE

As I posted a few days ago, I purchased that game on accident while viewing its videos on PSN. Since then I have not been able to stop playing or thinking about it.

The first thing I noticed upon booting up the game was the almost flawless transition between cutscenes and gameplay. This game is truly a pleasure to look at; although, I have had problems with the brightness, or lack there of, in certain parts of what I have played so far.

The next thing that stood out to me was the animation, especially Tessa's. Those minute eye movements and facial ticks are incredible. Every scene that she is in draws me further and further into the world. She is a woman at the penultimate of her life, but she is also a woman who is mischievous, quick-witted, and kind. She is a scene-stealer. She has an aura of 'it ain't over yet!' to her.

Olara, Olin, Resh
, not only talk like but emote like people I know in real life. They look like them too.All characters seem to have had equal effort dedicated to their characterizations.

The world is HUGE but not desolate. I almost feel overwhelmed with the amount of content in the world; though, the way they have intertwined the character's stories always pushes me forward.

In regards to combat, it's extremely enjoyable and I love that players are free to employ their own play style. Nothing beats turning machines on each other, but if you want to set booby-traps that's fine as well.

I am yet to arrive at
I will admit I had some issues as I did not procure the necessary items before hand. When I got to the final boss I was in quite a predicament. I struggle many times and ultimately bested my
feathered foe[?]
, but I had to use every weapon, tactic, and ounce of patience and determination I could muster. BTW: I'm playing on normal difficulty, which is more than enough for me :p.

The only issues I have encountered in game are structures getting in the way of my characters movement. One random beam in the final chamber of the first cauldron resulted in my death twice - I was not happy about it.

This game has reinvigorated my 'gamer's spirit' and I have been happy to share everything about it with anyone who games (whether they ask or not :p).

I am excited for what is to come in the rest of the game. However I already can tell that it will be amazing!

Awesome impressions! Glad you're enjoying it. The "I accidentally bought Horizon" post made me laugh.

And yeah, the unprecedented range of diversity and the very obvious care and attention to detail GG put into crafting the black and brown NPCs in this game stood out to me, too. I've never played a video game in my life that comes close, and it's incredibly refreshing to see it done so well in HZD.

The game doesn't let up once post-Meridian, either! You're in for a treat, Kaito!

Tomeru

It's also probably regional stats. I don't think a us account and a eu account share the number of people who own a game.

kitzkozan

Olara, Olin, Resh

I am yet to arrive at
feathered foe[?]

GG were smart in crafting it's open world, as it appear bigger than it actually is thanks to perspective tricks. ;) They were able to find a good balance between barren landscape and content to do.

I think this is the kind of game and universe where it would fit for Aloy to be able to climb mountains (or most surface). People are saying that developers should all inspire themselves from BOTW, but it make sense for GG given what they created (people are scavenging what they can from the old world, so developing skills to search every nook and cranny are useful). I don' think it would fit in RDR as there's no reason to climb mountains for the protagonist.

shiba5

I liked them. They took me to some interesting locations I probably wouldn't have found. The Vantages were really cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom