• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn Patch 1.30 adds New Game+, Ultra Hard difficulty and lots more

Not

Banned
Sure sure no doubt that trends, media and society in general does have some sway in what people view as attractive, but we can still be diverse in our opinions and tastes.

I believe it's more widespread than that. The majority of us only find women's bodies attractive if they're artificially modified. Makeup, hair removal, etc. That's almost universal. I doubt that's a "natural" opinion or our ancestors in the hunter-gatherer societies would've died the fuck off. But I guess this isn't the right thread.

EDIT: In terms of abs, though, sure. There are preferences for all body types, not disagreeing there. However, we see way less women with abs than men in media, and that has to have some kind of effect, extrapolating from the reasons above.

If anyone wonders how unlockable face paint and focus look like.

It is done.
SwNWnud.jpg

Here are all the unlocks available:

Face Paint:

Focus:

Too bad you have to first complete the game on new game + to get them.

Not

Banned
Love those. I wonder what kind of options they'll give you to customize Aloy's look in the sequel.

Cool. How was UH? Planning jumping into NG+ UH soon for replay before DLC.

Easy with Shield-Weaver armour and with fully upgraded gear & weapons from the first run.
Only the last mission is hard the rest is very easy. Also I've only done main missions and ignored everything else.

Without Shield-Weaver armour it would be very hard.

Tovarisc

Easy with Shield-Weaver armour and with fully upgraded gear & weapons from the first run.
Only the last mission is hard the rest is very easy. Also I've only done main missions and ignored everything else.

Without Shield-Weaver armour it would be very hard.

I imagine even last mission is quite easy then with Shield-Weaver if you collect allies to help you as they pull AI aggro.

Famassu

That's because the patriarchy has reinforced that women who are physically imposing be viewed as "ugly" in order to maintain physical supremacy

Your brain is not your own

crystal-black-andbougie-theyre-the-best-gymnasts-in-the-world-3353326.png
Muscle men are gross as well. Not the natural level muscular body (man or woman) that looks like the kind you could get from, like, physical daily work at a farm, but the go-to-the-gym-obsessively-10-times-a-week-eat-nothing-but-protein-powders kind. Imho feels like that's just another form of modern over-indulgence

Humdinger

Gold Member
I don't like those face paints. Half of them look quite ugly to me and only a few look okay. I prefer her face clean.

Foci are nice.

Garlador

Muscle men are gross as well. Not the natural level muscular body (man or woman) that looks like the kind you could get from, like, physical daily work at a farm, but the go-to-the-gym-obsessively-10-times-a-week-eat-nothing-but-protein-powders kind. Imho feels like that's just another form of modern over-indulgence

My wife has chiseled, rock-hard abs and she's not some insane 10-times-a-week, nothing-but-calories, body-obsessed freak. Really, you can get Vanesha's abs from just a few crunches a week.

Either way, REGARDLESS, it's still nice to see a woman with a muscular look to her in a medium dominated by rail-thin models with inflatable boobs. I'd love to see more women pop up in games like Vanesha, Zarya, Vanessa Lewis, etc.

Is there an adept version of the carja heavy stalwart?

Really enjoying NG + on ultra. Good challenge for sure and forcing me to find the right weapon combos to exploit big bads.

First storm bird seemed impossible. Changed tactics and down no prob.

Humdinger

Gold Member
Heck with all these 6-pack abs. I like women with some chunk on them. Looking forward to playing as Donut Aloy.

I'm super surprised they didn't do something about the rng on some of these resource drops. Is there somewhere I can buy specific hearts? This shit is kinda burnin me out a little.

Lakuza

I'm super surprised they didn't do something about the rng on some of these resource drops. Is there somewhere I can buy specific hearts? This shit is kinda burnin me out a little.

doesnt a vendor in meridian sell every heart and lens? Haven't played since launch month so I cant remember completely.

Hopefully someone else can give a more confident answer.

doesnt a vendor in meridian sell every heart and lens? Haven't played since launch month so I cant remember completely.

Ahhhh could be. Dyr if they sold skins or not? Trying to find some of these bits for rabbits and rats and geese is just too much rng for me

dEvAnGeL

yes, theres a vendor where you can get pretty much every part you need to upgrade your equipment, it is expensive though

Isn't that a picture of the women's Olympic gymnastics team? If so that negates your point some.

Garlador

So, more than "just a few crunches a week"...

Proper diet (the foundation) is the most important and often most difficult part.

Okay... me. I do a few crunches every few days. Not even five minutes worth. I eat moderately healthy and still binge on cookies and ice cream and fast food and pizza quite often. Washboard abs.

Of course, genetics factor into it, just like my wife. We're very toned individuals and I haven't been to a gym in a decade.

Not everyone needs to work out like a bodybuilder or Olympian to get a a firm belly is all I'm saying.

MORE importantly... gaming needs more women with some muscle on them and body diversity outside of the pin-up model ideal, and Vanesha is a great example.

Okay... me. I do a few crunches every few days. Not even five minutes worth. I eat moderately healthy and still binge on cookies and ice cream and fast food and pizza quite often. Washboard abs.

Of course, genetics factor into it, just like my wife. We're very toned individuals and I haven't been to a gym in a decade.

I won't call you a liar, but doing what you describe and coming out with "washboard abs" is VERY uncommon and unusual.

Not

Banned
In til someone gets Garlador to post pics of his abs

This is turning out to be the best thread in history

Dr. A

Sure, but the idea that you need to be a supplement-munching gym-rat to have defined muscles is completely absurd.

Agreed, but the other end of the spectrum where you assert that a "few crunches every week" is pretty much all that is needed is equally absurd. :)

This thread has gone a little wonky with abs, female beauty standards and patriarchy criticisms lol

Melchiah

yes, theres a vendor where you can get pretty much every part you need to upgrade your equipment, it is expensive though

Good to know. Those Shell-Walker hearts seem to be a really rare drop. I destroyed a bunch of them last week, and didn't get any. I didn't have any from the previous playthrough either. It's a good thing I saved all those rare machine components I got from there though.

Good to know. Those Shell-Walker hearts seem to be a really rare drop. I destroyed a bunch of them last week, and didn't get any. I didn't have any from the previous playthrough either. It's a good thing I saved all those rare machine components I got from there though.
I had the same feeling but then I wanted a piece of gear and created a job. I went to the nearest spot on the map for Shell-Walkers and boom, heart.

hbkdx12

That is what I plan to do. Farm for shards before starting NG+ on ultra hard because all the outfits/resources will be massively overpriced

I went into it not giving it much thought with 20K in shards and it was more than enough. The lowest i ever dropped down to was about 15K but i was also diligent about looting everything and selling off junk and crappy mods every chance i got.

I didn't see how much the outfits costs because i stuck with the shieldweaver but the new adept weapons were almost 10K a pop and they never really felt all that necessary for that extra mod spot if you already have good mods on your current weapons.

Apparently you can win the adept weapons by completing the hunting trials in NG+ but just thinking about doing some of those challenges on ultra hard with the eagle vision the AI has already gives me a headache

Melchiah

UHNG+ is kind of a joke if you go into it with a lot of money and manage your resources properly.

I kinda regret starting NG+ on hard as there's no challenge at all, but I just wanted to go through the main story missions this time. I gather the Adept weapons come handy for ultra hard, and that you might need to do the ally sidequests to get their assistance for the final mission.

Floody

Apparently you can win the adept weapons by completing the hunting trials in NG+ but just thinking about doing some of those challenges on ultra hard with the eagle vision the AI has already gives me a headache

Done all but the Thuderjaw one (haven't got to it yet) and they haven't really been too bad, was expecting them to be far more annoying honestly.
The Stealth one is probably the hardest, just due to the A.I spotting you instantly and Stalkers and Watchers watching pretty much everywhere, but it wasn't too bad outside of the stealth takedown one, which I only did because I got super lucky with all the watchers walking right into my stealth grass.

hbkdx12

I kinda regret starting NG+ on hard as there's no challenge at all, but I just wanted to go through the main story missions this time. I gather the Adept weapons come handy for ultra hard, and that you might need to do the ally sidequests to get their assistance for the final mission.

Yeah i would say just back out and jump to ultra hard. The adept weapons never felt like a necessity for me. Machines still died pretty quickly if you tackle them the right way. (Tear arrows, fire arrows, precision arrows) also, more often than not i would triple up on my arrow shots. Human enemies are the worst as they continually move around and make it difficult to get consecutive shots in. I also feel like their hitboxes have been reduced but i could be imagining that although i missed a TON of shots that look like they should have landed. For me, fire arrows were king. Non armored enemies would die from two shots from my fire arrows due to the damage over time.

The ally sidequests feel like a must for the final stretch of the game. Their ability to distract enemies is invaluable. The last fight is so overwhelming that i can't imagine how crazy it would be without them.

Done all but the Thuderjaw one (haven't got to it yet) and they haven't really been too bad, was expecting them to be far more annoying honestly.
The Stealth one is probably the hardest, just due to the A.I spotting you instantly and Stalkers and Watchers watching pretty much everywhere, but it wasn't too bad outside of the stealth takedown one, which I only did because I got super lucky with all the watchers walking right into my stealth grass.

You're a better man than I. I went back to my normal playthrough to get the plat and the only trial that was standing in my way was the stealth one where you need to loot the boxes from the shell walkers and that was already hard enough

TedMilk

When I first got the game I played it to 100% a couple of times on easy. When this patch came out I got a hankering for the two trophies, so I went from easy to NG+ Ultra Hard.

It wasn't too bad aside from a couple of bits (although the last mission was pretty ridiculous), but fuck playing it to 100% on that difficulty. I didn't even fight any rockbreakers or Thunderjaws and basically just rushed through the story missions.

Got the two trophies though, and now I'm settling into a nice NG+ on easy again and collecting everything while messing around with my new facepaints.

Love this game.

Top Bottom