• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn - Preview Thread [Up: All Previews Live]

SomTervo

Yup, it's crazy.

iirc it was two weeks for Uncharted 4 and Final Fantasy XV too

I got my copy of UC4 a few days early, but I don't remember anyone else having it much earlier than me.

There was that Redditor who always gets games insanely early, though. The guy who was streaming No Man's Sky early and everything.

Maybe I'll give my local mom 'n' pop store a bell and see if they have it... Usually they order for the Saturday before release, though.

Reviews in 5 days though so not a total big deal.

That contextualises this more, yeah.

Luigiv

5 hours off how does that work?

Not one thing as been right.

I know you're super excited for this game but you can't be serious, can you? Are you familiar with the concepts of approximations, averages, bell curves and rounding? Not everyone is going to complete the game in the exact same amount of time, there will naturally be variance. Quoting game length is not an exact science. We also have no idea how much side content the reviewer did or whether or not he spent any time just playing around, testing the systems for review purposes, like FelipeMGM was talking about. With that in mind, +5 hours seems well within reason.

Of course, big disclaimer, I'm not saying any of this confirms the rumours to be true (and of course I'm making a big assumption about what GarciaHotspur's numbers actually mean) but I'm saying it does correlated pretty closely (even if that correlation may ultimately be pure coincidence).

Well anyway, we'll find out the truth soon enough.

I got my copy of UC4 a few days early, but I don't remember anyone else having it must earlier than me.

There was that Redditor who always gets games insanely early, though. The guy who was streaming No Man's Sky early and everything.

Maybe I'll give my local mom 'n' pop store a bell and see if they have it... Usually they order for the Saturday before release, though.

That contextualises this more, yeah.

UC4 wasn't a few days earlier I don't think. I recall having my 3-4 days before the review embargo lifted because I had beaten the game before reviews went live, so that'd be about more than a week to about two weeks in advance.

SomTervo

UC4 wasn't a few days earlier I don't think. I recall having my 3-4 days before the review embargo lifted because I had beaten the game before reviews went live, so that'd be about more than a week to about two weeks in advance.

OK. Just my mid-term memory being a dunce again.

My copy being a few days early was thanks to a mom n pop store.

I'm getting my copy within the next couple of hours.
I asked in the other thread but I'm taking requests for things people want me to find out for them.
I'll also give spoiler free impressions. I've avoided almost all media since E3 so I'm pretty fresh into this game.

Also, if I finish the game before release, if you want me to sell it to you, let me know. It's the pictured Latin American version but it plays fine in English.
Do you happen to have a capture card to stream?

for those that own the game, how fast is it from the XMB menus to playing the game? (post if you are in a OG or Pro game, stock or different harddrive)

and sorry for the joke in the spoiler thread lol

Ricker

Someone said they're 54 hours into the game and they'd give it 25 (presumably out of 100), so things aren't looking good.

Mmm no...he said he is 25,and according to Ancestry he will live to 100 and he is 54 hours in the game but has no clue where he is in the game...he is waiting for more impressions... :p;)

Tyaren

I'm getting my copy within the next couple of hours.
I asked in the other thread but I'm taking requests for things people want me to find out for them.
I'll also give spoiler free impressions. I've avoided almost all media since E3 so I'm pretty fresh into this game.

Also, if I finish the game before release, if you want me to sell it to you, let me know. It's the pictured Latin American version but it plays fine in English.

You got a Pro as I recall, right? Can you take a look if the game makes use of good anisotropic filtering on Pro?
Leaked standard PS4 screens a few days ago (they have been deleted unfortunately) showed poor use of it and really blurry textures at oblique angles and in the distance. A real flaw in an otherwise so beautiful game.

Tratorn

Of course, big disclaimer, I'm not saying any of this confirms the rumours to be true (and of course I'm making a big assumption about what GarciaHotspur's numbers actually mean) but I'm saying it does correlated pretty closely (even if that correlation may ultimately be pure coincidence).

Well anyway, we'll find out the truth soon enough.

Probably.

Either way I wouldn't expect a gigantic playtime. The size of the map doesn't seem that big for an OW-RPG and the number of machines not super high so that you could get 100 hours out of it. At least not without a lot of repetitive filler content and/or if interactions with humans take a bigger role in the game than expected.
I'd expect a story length similiar to action-adventures, but more side-content than those. I expect it to be in the middle of bigger RPGs and AAs when it comes to overall playtime.

Tyaren

Nah. I think i am in the minority by not having a problem with having the opposite. I think the majority wants a beefy 100+ hour rpg.. and you guys are right.

I don't think you are in the minority, at least not here on GAF. From my experience, when it is revealed that an RPG is comparatively short with about 25-30 hours (like FFXV or now Horizon Zero Dawn apparently) there is maybe one guy (usually me ;)) who expresses his disappointment and at least 10 people who are like: "Nah, that's a perfectly fine length. A game doesn't need to be unnecessarily long and padded. I got bored early in *insert some random RPG here*."

You got a Pro as I recall, right? Can you take a look if the game makes use of good anisotropic filtering on Pro?
Leaked standard PS4 screens a few days ago (they have been deleted unfortunately) showed poor use of it and really blurry textures at oblique angles and in the distance. A real flaw in an otherwise so beautiful game.

Wait, Tyaren... Are you talking about those Cauldron shots, which are now gone? Cause I think some of those are photomode, so misuse of DOF and Aperture can really mess things up, cause apparent muddiness and blur of textures.

Anyway I won't go into it more, just thought I'd share an opinion on that. We need to keep this spoiler free.

Tyaren

Wait, Tyaren... Are you talking about those Cauldron shots, which are now gone? Cause I think some of those are photomode, so misuse of DOF and Aperture can really mess things up, cause apparent muddiness and blur of textures.

Yeah, I'm talking about those. Not specifically the cauldron shots (too dark) but the two shots out in the open. As far as I could tell there was no DOF or filters enabled in those shots.

Lack of anisotropic filtering is a real pet peeve of mine. XD

jayu26

I don't what games you guys have been playing but 25-30 hours for main quest and 50 hours including side quests is the norm in WRPG. Bethesda games and Witcher 3 are exceptions. Even then, main quests can usually be finished in 20-25hours in Bethesda games and other two Witchers are not nearly as long (especially Witcher 2). It's the side content in those games that push them into the 100+ hours mark.

Length of Horizon is fine, even by WRPG standards.

NastyBook

The character moves when you push on the stick. Literally the same basic control scheme we've had since the late 90s. Where's the innovation? I hear the main menu has music playing over it. Wow, how unimaginative.
It's such a bore when a high-profile exclusive release from Sony doesn't re-invent the wheel.
When will they learn? Will probably pick this up used from Gamefly...

Just two more Tuesdays. Gonna have to start avoiding these threads at some point in the next couple of days. And fucking Youtube/Twitch spoilering assholes, too, fuck.

I don't think you are in the minority, at least not here on GAF. From my experience, when it is revealed that an RPG is comparatively short with about 25-30 hours (like FFXV or now Horizon Zero Dawn apparently) there is maybe one guy (usually me ;)) who expresses his disappointment and at least 10 people who are like: "Nah, that's a perfectly fine length. A game doesn't need to be unnecessarily long and padded. I got bored early in *insert some random RPG here*."

I certainly love RPGs that are long and full of quality content. But unfortunately, I do not think most RPGs fall into that category for their SP. There's almost always a level of padding involved (like in TW3 where the latter half of the game is filled with stuff that could've been easily condensed) and that padding almost always brings the quality of the main story down in an effort to lengthen the main story.

I much prefer having most of that sort of content be moved over to the optional category, rather than something you have to mandatorily go through to complete the game just so it can advertise an hour requirement.

With something like FFXV that was clearly padded to hell and back to reach that 25-30 hour mark, I would've much preferred if some of that stuff was taken out and put into optional category. We can only hope that Horizon is a more focused game when it comes to the main story.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Some hot impressions guys:

Aloy has two arms and two legs
Aloy talks during the game
Aloy shoots arrows at things
Aloy has giant hands
There are not enough tree's for the forests to be considered anymore than shrubbery
The robo dinosaurs are controlled by ghost aliens from an alternate future where everything are machines
Some people die
Mental illness

Kazuo Hirai

I really want everyone to know how much more Titanfall 2 sold than Nioh. It was a staggering amount.
The 25 hours main story just a guess right? Why take it seriously?

scream

Still waiting guys..

f3c8d79cfd86128ea637524302e22641.gif

Razgreez

Aloy has giant hands
There are not enough tree's for the forests to be considered anymore than shrubbery
The robo dinosaurs are controlled by ghost aliens from an alternate future where everything are machines
Some people die
Mental illness

Err... I'll kill myself before I ever read the above

Also, what's with the surprise about possible play time. I vividly remember an interview in which Herman stated they're trying to make the game story focused and condensed and estimated around 50hrs total play time - though the latter might have just been my own imagination acting up

Raylan

Banned

Aloy has giant hands
Some people die
Mental illness
Precancel ordered!

Smellycat

Apparently Brom plays a very important role in the game and is featured in every cutscene and joins you as a wisecracking sidekick for 75% of the game as he battles his inner demons. You have to avoid approaching cliffs while he is with you, otherwise you will be forced to play out that cutscene over and over.

mosdl

Apparently Brom plays a very important role in the game and is featured in every cutscene and joins you as a wisecracking sidekick for 75% of the game as he battles his inner demons.

Brom is actually the main protag, alloy is just a decoy ala MGS2

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Brom is actually the main protag, alloy is just a decoy ala MGS2

Its Metal Gear Solid 2 all over again. I still think the part where Brom was naked talking to AI's and doing cartwheels while holding his junk was a bit much. Kojima's weirdness really rubbed off on GG.

mosdl

Its Metal Gear Solid 2 all over again. I still think the part where Brom was naked talking to AI's and doing cartwheels while holding his junk was a bit much. Kojima's weirdness really rubbed off on GG.

Now we know why Kojima is using their engine

Top Bottom