• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn - Preview Thread [Up: All Previews Live]

Tripolygon

Banned
Youtube link for just photo mode section
Photomode:

ShrillRashCapeghostfrog.gif

John Wick

should i buy a ps4 just for this game gaf

its only 265 for a slim with uc4

hmmm

If your buying your first PS4 then you'd be better off getting the Pro if you want to enjoy this game at its best. Even if you only have a 1080p TV the image quality improvement is worth it

hmm

depends on how much money I get for my bday haha

If you can afford a Pro, it's definitely worth it. I have the Pro and had the OG PS4, was surprised at the difference super sampling makes for some games that have it, plus others have added additional things on top. I'm only on 1080p TV as well but the differences for games are noticeable... and Boost Mode is coming for Pro as well, helping a few older titles.

jdstorm

Banned
should i buy a ps4 just for this game gaf

its only 265 for a slim with uc4

hmmm

Depends on how badly you want it. With the Nintendo Switch and Xbox "Scorpio" comming soon there will likely be some really good bundles on a PS4 later this year.

If you want Horizon right now thats as good a deal as any. Try and get the PS4 slim and not the launch model as build quality is better on the slim

^It did work in TLOU having to see the character manually make a shiv or something because you couldn't pause the game and it added to the tension.

Not sure that would be fun in Horizon unless the game wants you to really prepare for missions like Monster Hunter games or something.

Cloukyo

Banned
The easier crafting is, the better IMO. That particular mechanic is usually the most annoying grindy part of these games. So this keep the pace and action moving

Agreed. Death to whoever came up with crafting. I don't mind old jrpgs that made you try and get rare items to get super-items. But it's become stupid now, picking up random shit and junk to make standard items.

I don't know how Horizon does it but hopefully not like that, and it's good that you can do it whenever and where ever.

X-Frame

I'm tempted to jump into this game at the hardest difficulty. Witcher 3 became much more fun when I cranked the difficulty up, because then I was forced to worry about oils, potions, beastiary information for weaknesses, etc.

So for this game that would be scanning enemies, setting traps and luring, equipping the appropriate weaponry (e.g. arrow types), using stealth, etc.

I'm tempted to jump into this game at the hardest difficulty. Witcher 3 became much more fun when I cranked the difficulty up, because then I was forced to worry about oils, potions, beastiary information for weaknesses, etc.

So for this game that would be scanning enemies, setting traps and luring, equipping the appropriate weaponry (e.g. arrow types), using stealth, etc.
Given the interaction between machines, I hope another variable to consider is using those interactions to your advantage. Like which best types to lure into a fight if you're being pursued, stuff like that

slash3584

I had that exact same experience with The Witcher, so I'm 100% starting at the hardest difficulty.

Tigress

Agreed. Death to whoever came up with crafting. I don't mind old jrpgs that made you try and get rare items to get super-items. But it's become stupid now, picking up random shit and junk to make standard items.

I don't know how Horizon does it but hopefully not like that, and it's good that you can do it whenever and where ever.

First of all, kinda overboard to wish death on them. And well, they keep having it cause there are people like me who love it. In fact tell me a game has crafting and I'll get very excited. I hated how witcher' crafting was get stuff for the potion once and then ate all you need (I'm guessing you liked that). I love having to find ingredients to make potions. In fact I'll start refusing to buy ingredients or potions to make finding stuff more necessary.

Don't know if I like crafting on the fly, seems like it makes it too easy.

I plan on making a personal rule of no crafting while in the middle of a fight. At least unless I found out their balance of how many arrow you need in a fight includes being able to craft stuff in the middle of a fight (basically they allow you to carry so few arrows it just makes it way too impossible for me not to).

Cloukyo

Banned
I hated how witcher' crafting was get stuff for the potion once and then ate all you need (I'm guessing you liked that).

Nah, I mean more like in star ocean where you could find rare items to make super weapons. Crafting being used to turn normal stuff into super rare powerful stuff. Or maybe something like fusing personas in P4. Like I said, finding random scraps on the ground to make standard stuff like potions is too much fluff for me, it feels less like gameplay and more like a mundane chore.

Going out there to specifically find rare items, or using your brain to mix and match items to try and make rare items is more gameplay focused and hence more fun.

Honestly, I just want to play the game, not get "gem a + blade of grass c + wood = medikit for 50hp!" or "stick + potato = stickpotato +5 damage!"

Hope the Switch release doesn't put a shadow Horizon. Also was expecting a bit more of a ramp up with adverts by now. I'm seeing Morrowind ads but nothing about Horizon

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Given the interaction between machines, I hope another variable to consider is using those interactions to your advantage. Like which best types to lure into a fight if you're being pursued, stuff like that

This is exactly what excites me about this game. For me the wildlife in open world games not in a city are what make the experience. They're far less predictable than humans and add so much life to the world. This game is built on that, they aren't ancillary. I think that's what's going to separate this from other titles.

First of all, kinda overboard to wish death on them. And well, they keep having it cause there are people like me who love it. In fact tell me a game has crafting and I'll get very excited. I hated how witcher' crafting was get stuff for the potion once and then ate all you need (I'm guessing you liked that). I love having to find ingredients to make potions. In fact I'll start refusing to buy ingredients or potions to make finding stuff more necessary.

I plan on making a personal rule of no crafting while in the middle of a fight. At least unless I found out their balance of how many arrow you need in a fight includes being able to craft stuff in the middle of a fight (basically they allow you to carry so few arrows it just makes it way too impossible for me not to).

This is usually fine, but as someone with limited time to game, I feel like these systems shortly lose their luster and begin really disrespecting my time. If I only have an hour to play, spending even 20 minutes of that going through a routine of finding X number of herbs so I can craft enough potions to survive an encounter seems tedious, and I'm likely to decide to spend that hour doing something else instead.

What really got me during yesterday's stream was when they revealed you need to craft a "fast travel kit" in order to fast travel between campfires, and it required like 3 different ingredients. If I find myself on the wrong side of the map, and to even get where I need to be going I need to spend 15 minutes hunting a rabbit, gathering 20 herbs, and then getting a part from a specific machine just to get to where I need to be? Pass.

I am still very excited for this game, but these systems have tempered that excitement a bit. The Witcher did it right - collect what you need once, then get on with the rest of the game.

This is exactly what excites me about this game. For me the wildlife in open world games not in a city are what make the experience. They're far less predictable than humans and add so much life to the world. This game is built on that, they aren't ancillary. I think that's what's going to separate this from other titles.
Yeah, same here. Said this yesterday
Aside from games like Red Dead Redemption or Far Cry, ecosystems in open world games are usually window dressing and almost always take a backseat to "guy with gun". Here, the "animals" are the main event, and between the interaction between different types, the natural animations and varied behaviors, and decent variety, it seems like a refreshing change

===

Going to be some nice vids focusing on specific machines. Should be starting today throughout the week. :)
Cool. Hope they're not too spoilery. Part of the fun here seems to be "nature doc" observation of machine behavior

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
This is usually fine, but as someone with limited time to game, I feel like these systems shortly lose their luster and begin really disrespecting my time. If I only have an hour to play, spending even 20 minutes of that going through a routine of finding X number of herbs so I can craft enough potions to survive an encounter seems tedious, and I'm likely to decide to spend that hour doing something else instead.

What really got me during yesterday's stream was when they revealed you need to craft a "fast travel kit" in order to fast travel between campfires, and it required like 3 different ingredients. If I find myself on the wrong side of the map, and to even get where I need to be going I need to spend 15 minutes hunting a rabbit, gathering 20 herbs, and then getting a part from a specific machine just to get to where I need to be? Pass.

I am still very excited for this game, but these systems have tempered that excitement a bit. The Witcher did it right - collect what you need once, then get on with the rest of the game.

Personally I kind of hate what fast travel does to a lot of games as it really robs them of a lot of their agency, their pacing and so forth. Worse is when games are designed around the notion of fast travel as certain quests can literally be just jumping from place to another to talk to this and that NPC or pick up this item for that guy and then return. It often leads to some really lazy and uninteresting things and the Bethesda open world games are notorious for this shit.

I wouldn't get rid of it altogether but I actually think fast travel can be hugely detrimental to a lot of open world games. The open world should be well designed enough, interesting enough, and just fun to move through that you should be discouraged from fast traveling.

Personally I kind of hate what fast travel does to a lot of games as it really robs them of a lot of their agency, their pacing and so forth. Worse is when games are designed around the notion of fast travel as certain quests can literally be just jumping from place to another to talk to this and that NPC or pick up this item for that guy and then return. It often leads to some really lazy and uninteresting things and the Bethesda open world games are notorious for this shit.
Agreed. Fast travel kind of knocks the legs out from under the genre. Especially in worlds where exploration and encounter dynamic/random scenarios is part of the experience.

It removes the danger and threat from the world, because why journey through a particular dangerous area if you can skip the journey altogether? People will most always choose the easier fastest option if it's always available.

By making fast travel a matter of resource management, you're forced to be more cautious and careful out in the world, not rush headlong into every fight, and so on

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Agreed. Fast travel kind of knocks legs out from under the genre. Especially in worlds where exploration and encounter dynamic/random scenarios is part of the experience

It removes the danger and threat from the world, because why journey through a particular dangerous area if you can skip the journey altogether? People will most always choose the easier fastest option if it's always available.

By making fast travel a matter of resource management, you're forced to be more cautious and careful out in the world, not rush headlong into every fight, and so on

Its been a while since I've played it but I'm pretty sure Dragon's Dogma had a similar idea to fast travel. You could use it but it required a specific resource to use.

Yeaa theyll probably detail every lil bit about the machine what parts break off what weapons to use nah son I'm good

We on blackout drifting..Now the bigger question is do we even enter the thread..Them juicy gifs bound to show up tho...
I enter the thread and try to scroll down as quickly as possible without seeing anything lol.

It is hard not to enter the thread.

Yeaa theyll probably detail every lil bit about the machine what parts break off what weapons to use nah son I'm good

We on blackout drifting..Now the bigger question is do we even enter the thread..Them juicy gifs bound to show up tho...
I'm hoping the trailers are more documentary style clips of machines out in the wild, rather than overviews of what they do and how they act

Another cool approach could be framing the narration as a myth being told to a young Aloy. So keeping it kind of vague and mysterious rather than a detailed overview
Perhaps it'll be just dev commentary on the thought process behind each individual Machine at a time, how much time it took, inspiration, little details about the body, what it does for the world etc. Gameplay stuff I'll avoid

Top Bottom