• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn PS4s biggest ever Sony published new IP launch in the UK

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Well deserved. The game is a masterpiece and elevates GG to a top tier developer. No way they can afford to make a mediocre shooter now any more.

noobie

Banned
Lifetime is debatable. Zelda is not as big a franchise as Mario Kart, sales-wise. Horizon with some decent legs can easily reach 6+million. Add bundles and you are comfortably at 8 million. Best selling Zelda game to date did a bit under 8 million.
To the best of my knowledge, GG games, killzone series, have never done more then 3 million with bundles. So expecting HZD to do 6 million without bundles n 8 million with bundles is quite optimistic. Also I think we know Sony USA is not very fond of bundling. So the major market is probably not going to get HZD bundle.

To the best of my knowledge, GG games, killzone series, have never done more then 3 million with bundles. So expecting HZD to do 6 million without bundles n 8 million with bundles is quite optimistic. Also I think we know Sony USA is not very fond of bundling. So the major market is probably not going to get HZD bundle.
Killzone =/= Horizon.

I'm happy for Guerrilla; as many others have said it was a risk, but see how well it payed off.

The game's combat, story, music and visuals are individually fantastic, but together they really make this a GOTY contender.

I bought a Pro for this, ME:A and better PSVR and the game looks unbelievable on an HDR UHD TV.

If anyone hasn't already seen them, have a look at the photo threads: some amazing images, many captured on base PS4.

Kill3r7

Horizon has the makings of a game that will sell incredibly well. I would be surprised if HZD does not get a bundle this year, at least a PRO bundle. I say this fully realizing that Sony will at the very least have a Destiny, COD and BF2 bundles this holiday season.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
And I havent even played Blood Borne yet...

I have got to get me a new PS4 ASAP. Missing out on some great games.

I am doing my best not looking at any clips or screen shots of Horizon.

Rains

Game looks fantastic but i have a back log i wish more company would take risk am tired of the same old games getting face lifts

Toni

So the chances of a new Killzone after Horizon's success are?

jeg3UU5.jpg

Certinty

I wouldn't even mind a new Killzone.

Shadow Fall had great gameplay and looked amazing. Sure everything else sucked, but after this I'm fairly confident they can fix all those issues if they do make another.

They had a straight up several minute gameplay video of Horizon which took up the whole ad break the other night, I've never seen that with an advert before. Strong marketing from Sony for this, looks like it has paid off.

I wonder if they could take the Killzone world and do something with it in the style of Horizon.

Same way God of War is undergoing a reimagining, imagine a more open world Killzone, all the lessons learned from Horizon but on Vekta or Helghan....
or both?

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I wonder if they could take the Killzone world and do something with it in the style of Horizon.

Same way God of War is undergoing a reimagining, imagine a more open world Killzone, all the lessons learned from Horizon but on Vekta or Helghan....
or both?
I'm down for a Splinter Cell or Metal Gear Solid type infiltration game set in the Killzone world.

I just don't want them to do another first person shooter. Make more third person games!

But because this would be practically a new IP anyway because the mechanics would have to be prototyped a lot I'm fine with more Horizon for a bit. It's a strong setting with great gameplay. Gorilla machine next!

Yeah, its a bit premature to put them on Naughty Dogs level, but at worst they are #2 now.

All of their games have been profitable, they've now built two successful IPs, and they've created maybe the most impressive engine we've ever seen which was hand picked by Super Massive, Cambridge, and Kojima himself.

They're about as safe as you can get in this industry.

sobaka770

Banned
This game is crack. Simply loving walking around and hunting. Up there with Bloodborne as top PS4 exclusives (UC4 is great too, but not really innovative).

I think that we need an expansion or DLC for this. A full blown sequel in a few years, Guerilla can let go of Killzone for a good while.

Roufianos

Just look it up, Uncharted has 8.7 while Mario Kart has 8.3 (both 2016). So yeah, I was wrong on the numbers.

But my overall point still stands. Even if Switch sales turn out to be not so great, Zelda can still outsell Horizon.

Mario Kart Wii sold 36 million. Twilight Princess sold a quarter of that.

Zelda's not even remotely as popular. No chance it outsells Horizon.

Caode

Well deserved. The game is a masterpiece and elevates GG to a top tier developer. No way they can afford to make a mediocre shooter now any more.

I'm only about 10 hours in but it's reminding me of Naughty Dog and Uncharted 2 in the sense that this is the step that's elevated Guerrilla Games to that top tier status, just as Uncharted 2 was the breakthrough point for Naughty Dog.

jrDev

If I didn't pick up switch and Zelda this week I would have 100% picked up Horizon
As it is I'll pick it up later when there is a price drop now
Me too! Game looks well deserved! Reason I bought a PS4, but I have to finish Zelda first...

Living up to your username I see.

Ricky_R

Bloodborne isn't first party but if we're listing it, don't forget Until Dawn. Wonderful game.

This started preproduction after KZ3 shipped. They talked about working on a new IP long before Shadow Fall was even announced.

Sony doesn't own the BB ip? I consider all IPs owned by Sony first party, regardless of the studio that develops it.

IS GG now the best Sony FP studio in terms of talent? have they surpassed Naught Dog?

The last sub-90 Metacritic game that ND released was a decade ago. Since then they've released four games, the lowest one received 92. And three of those games went on to when the majority of the GotY awards from that year. If we're being realistic here, no one else in the industry really has the type of track record that current ND has.

Loris146

The last sub-90 Metacritic game that ND released was a decade ago. Since then they've released four games, the lowest one received 92. And three of those games went on to when the majority of the GotY awards from that year. If we're being realistic here, no one else in the industry really has the type of track record that current ND has.

Rockstar.

It will easily reach 8M during it's lifetime, with strategic bundles maybe more.

35 hours in, spectacular game in every possible way. There's a Guerrilla post Horizon, no way they're gonna be looked upon the same way after this.

It would be cool if Guerilla got a second, mid-sized team. Big team does Horizon stuff, big ideas, big projects; second unit does smaller stuff, the occasional Killzone, prototypes ideas.

The Cambridge unit was kinda like that, but we known how that went. Being in two different locations - two different countries - probably isn't ideal.

Ricky_R

Sony owns BB IP, but From Studio isn't first party studio.

Ahh, doubted who owned the ip for a moment... Still consider the game first party though, just made by a third party dev. If Sony wanted to, they could make a sequel with one of their studios (unless there's a clause?).

For all intents and purposes, it's a Sony game.

Top Bottom