• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn PS4s biggest ever Sony published new IP launch in the UK

It's funny that the top 3 most exciting titles from Sony's first party in the last 5 years have been all new IPs:

The Last of Us
Bloodborne
Horizon

The pressure on Days Gone is enormous for a perfect 4/4 roll out.

It's not really surprising though. New IPs tend to be way more exciting than the same old franchises. Even if they can't manage a new IP, then a series reinvention or bringing back a dormant IP is probably the next best thing.

EGOMON

Was talking with a friend last night and discussed that a co-up with 4 players or even 8 in a valley battle arena with horde mode. Tackle a Thunderjaw or Tallneck or maybe even something bigger together would be awesome.
Sounds cool I imagine each round ends with boss fight like thunderjaw or stormbird and so on.
The sequel has so many potential to improve on

I'm not sure I want more melee in this. I guess the most I want is more defensive options other than rolling. So maybe a block or parry of you timed it right and you can get a 1 or 2 melee hit. But I'm not sure I want this to be monhun/souls close combat focused game.

What I want is to explore more weapon and trap options. Also more interaction with the world. Like if a robot is on water. A shock bomb or something should electrocute them too unless they're immune to the element. Also skill to allow you make huge trap like the log trap you see in hunting trial. I want to be able to make my own trap like that.

All robot ahould be mountable with ability to give simple command.

Aerial combat by riding stormbird or something similar.

Grappling hook as part of your traversal option instead of just contextually used to drop down from high places.
yes!!! Yes!!! Yes!!! To all of this...but we don't need it to be like Souls. Dragon's Dogma lite combat system would fit Horizon perfectly.

Also agree with a few posters, Horizon is slightly underrated, should be in the cool 90+ club, but shouldn't matter in regards to sales and word of mouth.

While I recognize that 88 is an excellent score, I actually feel that it's too low for this game (so far). I'm 10 hours in and it's a masterpiece IMO. I'm blown away by how good it is. More inline with what I'd expect to be a 91 or 92 MC. It's my second favorite game of the generation already. The Witcher 3 is #1. This is Sony's best exclusive since The Last of Us and the start of a hit franchise.

It's just the 50, 65 and couple of others bringing the meta down, primarily those two though. Without them there's your 90 meta probs. Just shows how pointless that site is as far as judging quality goes... what's 3 points from 88 to make a great score to a masterpiece on MC, oh well.

On-topic: Congratulations to the team at GG, having a blast playing this. Well deserved!

scoobs

That's my point though. It makes it sound less amazing. I hear best selling PS4 Sony released new IP and I can hardly think of anything with huge sales. It makes me lump it in with Knack, the Order and No mans sky (apparently the previous record holder). You don't want to be the game being compared to no mans sky.

I hear 110k sold first week in the U.K. and I'm impressed.

Maybe it makes you think that way, but to the general public/investors it sounds way better.

Not Drake

hopefully high chance for a sequel to Shadow Fall which is a better game but barely than Horizon

I liked Shadow Fall, but no.

2 evenings into the game I got through the
proving and wandered off as a Seeker
. The game has crazy potential and I'm ready to be overwhelmed as it opens. Two things that surprised me even though I already knew the game is fire. First, faces are insane. So well animated. Second, the voice acting is fantastic. Aloy is great, but I feel like every single character I met is way above industry average for VA.

hopefully high chance for a sequel to Shadow Fall which is a better game but barely than Horizon

clapping-ha-ha-wtf-shocked-laughing-13538573029.gif

You about to get attackd severely but salute for having the balls to proudly say it. I like horizon more but I'd take another killzone if they apply the lessons learned. Killzone just needs a better story and characters the lore and gameplay was there

foxbeldin

So Jeuxvideo.com says Horizon was the best launch on ps4, all games included.

Translated from French
Sony tells us that HZD becomes the best launch of a new IP on PS4, a position previously occupied by NMS. It's also the best launch *period* on PS4, title previously owned by Uncharted 4

Mistake?

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
So the chances of a new Killzone after Horizon's success are?

how much staff do they have at GG?

they could pull a naughty dog and if they have more demand and people hired they could break away and have two separate studios in GG. I'd love another Killzone only if it went back to its Killzone 2 roots

Kalentan

It wouldn't be that shocking... It's ancedotal but in comparison to many new games, Horizon has been dominating my friends list. Outside of Overwatch that hasn't really happened. More so for a SP game.

It wouldn't be that shocking... It's ancedotal but in comparison to many new games, Horizon has been dominating my friends list. Outside of Overwatch that hasn't really happened. More so for a SP game.
On my friends list right now it's either horizon or overwatch. Anecdotally speaking of course

thumb

Banned
lol They didn't work 4-6 years on Horizon just to go back to Killzone.

It's possible they have two teams, and a smaller one has been working on the next Killzone for some time now. Remember, there was no guarantee Horizon was going to be a mega hit. Having a fall back plan makes sense.

dumbo

I think KZ will be dead for awhile, considering how well Horizon has been received critically and commercially.

I think Bethesda switch between TES and Fallout, bioware switch between DA and ME, and I think CDPR will be doing the same thing?

So I wouldn't be at all surprised if GGs next title is "Killzone: RPG".

Floody

I think Bethesda switch between TES and Fallout, bioware switch between DA and ME, and I think CDPR will be doing the same thing?

So I wouldn't be at all surprised if GGs next title is "Killzone: RPG".

Pretty sure Witcher 3 was booked as the end for CD Projekt Red with The Witcher series. I could be misrembering though and it was just the end of Geralt's tale. It was before it was a huge success too, so plans can change I guess.

I was pretty sure Cambridge were going to take over, but that didn't happen, I doubt they'll be sitting on Horizon though, Killzone is probably dead for a good while, as getting a new I.P going is hard enough, delaying it's follow up for something people aren't really jumping for doesn't seem smart.

barit

Great news for GG and Sony. Retail advertising is pretty heavy too at least in Germany. If you go to one of the biggest markets in Berlin the first thing that greats you are Horizon ads. And not the normal one. The whole entrance is full of it with awesome shots of Aloy and robodinos.

AFCA

Neo Member
Great news for GG and Sony. Retail advertising is pretty heavy too at least in Germany. If you go to one of the biggest markets in Berlin the first thing that greats you are Horizon ads. And not the normal one. The whole entrance is full of it with awesome shots of Aloy and robodinos.

Which market? Alex?

NewDust

It's possible they have two teams, and a smaller one has been working on the next Killzone for some time now. Remember, there was no guarantee Horizon was going to be a mega hit. Having a fall back plan makes sense.

They do have two teams, or at least structured management to support two simultaneous productions. They specifically started working on Horizon because they wanted to differentiate, and not just become "that studio that makes Killzone". I think they will do a return to Killzone, but probably on a smaller scale (Infamous First Light like) or possibly online only.

tdrdrgn

Yeah they can be working on Killzone but the bulk of the team will be working on Horizon 2. No developer outside of maybe Naughty dog have the resources to split their team and have them both be running in full production. It's either Horizon or Killzone, one of them is going on the backburner and it sure as hell ain't Horizon.

thumb

Banned
They do have two teams, or at least structured management to support two simultaneous productions. They specifically started working on Horizon because they wanted to differentiate, and not just become "that studio that makes Killzone". I think they will do a return to Killzone, but probably on a smaller scale (Infamous First Light like) or possibly online only.

I think you're right that a smaller scale release ala First Light makes the most sense. I would love to see them focus on a game from Echo's point of view. Could be Echo trying to assassinate high-level Helghast leadership, with gameplay focused on setting up perfect sniping opportunities. So slower and quieter than most Killzone games.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
This isn't like Naughty Dog jumping between two critically acclaimed and commercially successfully franchises. I personally liked Killzone but it probably died with Guerilla Cambridge.

Top Bottom