• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn Spoiler-free Impressions (for real this time)

spannicus

Not a spoiler but this picture... the lighting....
e1qpH0y.jpg
Whew.

Is dodging/running the only way to avoid physical attacks? Or is there something like a parry or block?

I imagine the ropecaster might be difficult when you're dealing with a group.

Speaking of collectibles, I feel I haven't found much. My collection menu is pretty empty, is this stuff really hard to find.

I am finding the
vantages story very interesting

Is dodging/running the only way to avoid physical attacks? Or is there something like a parry or block?

I imagine the ropecaster might be difficult when you're dealing with a group.

It's a human vs machine I know it's not real but it makes sense that blocking/parrying is not in considering machine will always overpower humans. Unless this is not the case @lamp @wesker?

SomTervo

Just both in visuals (with things littered about everywhere), and the way the landscapes themselves are designed in BotW, it's far more spare in nature.

Horizons landscapes are far more constricted, more densely packed together and just filled with more things to see in that space.

Oh right, in terms of visuals, yeah. In terms of gameplay they look similarly dense.

iratA

Did a great main quest and then I explored a bit and went beyond the borders of the map, you just get a message to turn back or the game will reset. But that area was sort of guarded by stuff I hadn't seen before lol.

As for guerrilla games they should never make a FPS again, this is so much better than killzone.

As someone who loves Killzone, especially 2, I'd hate to see this franchise die. HATE

Did you buy the maps that show the locations?

Can I hide the locations afterwards?

If no, I guess I know what should I not buy. I hate it when my map is clustered with those kind of things.

Edit: I'm aware that we can hide stuff including markers on the map. I only want to make sure if those are also hide-able.

Oh right, in terms of visuals, yeah. In terms of gameplay they look similarly dense.

Yea, gameplay wise Zelda and Horizon are whole different beasts. I meant solely in world and land scope design, sorry I wasn't clear.

Zelda reminds me more of something like Xenoblade Chronicles and Horizon is clearly more the western trend such as Witcher.

IGN's Lucy O'Brien confirmed that she's the reviewer for Horizon, so maybe the game that Vince Ingenito has been playing ain't Horizon? Makes one curious then, what other game could that be since as far as we know, Zelda review code hasn't gone out yet.

Ahasverus

More gifs: Some of these show a little bit more areas then shown and whatnot, still nothing huge but click at your own choice please.
Bu-but games haven't even reached Toy Story levels on the visuals! Lol. Wow, this is a game people are playing in 2017. I can't believe it.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
More gifs: Some of these show a little bit more areas then shown and whatnot, still nothing huge but click at your own choice please.

ms40SP1.gif

DUf4xcZ.gif

8a2YUpa.gif

yyfEpgT.gif

pfpiO7n.gif

i6pCqth.gif

these are absolutely goddamn gorgeous.

iMerc

this game looks amazing.
i hope it achieves great success in the marketplace.

i've been in media blackout mode, and it's not out here yet in australia, so i can't wait!

To those playing the game, what is your take on this from an embargoed reviewer?

I'm under embargo until 3am, our review will be posted at noon on Monday. But few complaints. Love the combat, easily the best open world moment-to-moment combat there is to date and I'll take any MGSV arguments to a throwdown any day, HZD is just so damn smooth and fun! Unfortunately, despite the awesomely different ways you can take machines down, it starts to get repetitive, to the point you'll often run away most of the time Red Dead style. This game is for the farming crowd...I'm not that guy but if you are you'll love this system, prepare to hunt and hunt and then maybe you'll tackle a story mission. Not for me.

cackhyena

I'm wondering if the trees are static for the most part. Can't tell in the gifs. It would be a bummer if these open world games are taking a step back from the Witcher in that regard. I wanna see swaying.

Edit: I see some in a gif now. Not bad.

Sounds great to me its super impossible for a game that 30 to 50 hours long not to get repetitive somewhere.

They really nailed the gameplay.
Yep, same for me. I think every game is repetitive, actually. It is just more apparent in some games because of their design (i.e, being open world). Being repetitive isn't necessarily a bad thing either.

Either way, I'm just glad the gameplay seems to be super solid.

ironcreed

Banned

ms40SP1.gif

DUf4xcZ.gif

8a2YUpa.gif

yyfEpgT.gif

pfpiO7n.gif

i6pCqth.gif

I am just in absolute awe. Horizon is quite simply the most jaw dropping video game I have ever seen... and I have seen a lot.

Papacheeks

Banned
IGN's Lucy O'Brien confirmed that she's the reviewer for Horizon, so maybe the game that Vince Ingenito has been playing ain't Horizon? Makes one curious then, what other game could that be since as far as we know, Zelda review code hasn't gone out yet.

Could it possibly be Nier?

To those playing the game, what is your take on this from an embargoed reviewer?

I mean... I don't know know how to take that other then assuming that the person doesn't like open world games? Yes you have to harvest resources and craft a lot but otherwise it's been completely enthralling for me. The world, enemies, story, and visuals. The crafting is all via the menu system and fairly simple.

Are you using a 4k resolution by chance?

Yes.

B.O.O.M

I'm not surprised a number of people in their 30s or older are looking forward to this. The robodino concept is very 80s/early 90s so it probably resonates with people that grew up with similar ideas.

damn right! Dino cartoons were the shit! I'm still expecting this to be the origin story of Horizon

DINOSAUCERSSSS tada tada tada tada da da

Top Bottom