• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn Spoiler-free Impressions (for real this time)

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
Starting to feel torn between how much I enjoy this thread and how much I want to go into the game fresh.

Quick question Slasher et al, is sprint bound to a button or is it just full tilt on the analogue stick? If yes, what button?

I ask because I can't stand Arkham style face-button-to-run.

Would it be too spoilery to ask about any little details you've noticed while playing? Besides ants on tree of course

Stuff like that is what really imbues an open world with its own personality, although I guess noticing them yourself is half the fun

(The other half being when someone on GAF points them out and you realize you've somehow been missing those details for a dozen hours)

More then just bow and ropecaster.
More than
the sling
?

GreyWind

Welcome back Lamp. make sure to post a lengthy impression after you are done.

tumblr_n54wz9JPoc1qbtneqo1_400.gif

Lol LBUSA

dEvAnGeL

Last time i was hyped for a game was for the witcher 3 and it certainly didn't disappoint, this looks to be spectacular as well

EktorOni

33 and ready to devour this game like a maniac. Love what I've seen of the world, and Aloy, character-wise, looks right up my alley. Can't wait!

Kevin

No, you can't go anywhere like in Zelda due to the lack of the Zelda-like climbing mechanic and chute. The world design of the game is different than Zelda's.

Horizon features a more densely packed world designed around the robo encounters th an Zelda's sparse one.

Still excited to explore this world. Game simply looks stunning. It's hard to believe that this is running on a console. It looks great. I'll be playing on a Pro and 4K tv and I couldn't be more excited to lose myself in this world and story.

Woah, we're revealing our age now? :eek:

I'm 25 and married. My wife is a huge Tomb Raider fan and I bet she'll love Horizon as well. I wasn't really convinced before this preview thread, tbh. While I still have some little concerns, now I'm ready for the preload on PSN.

Would it be too spoilery to ask about any little details you've noticed while playing? Besides ants on tree of course

Stuff like that is what really imbues an open world with its own personality, although I guess noticing them yourself is half the fun

(The other half being when someone on GAF points them out and you realize you've somehow been missing those details for a dozen hours)

More than
the sling
?

Yes more then the sling. Also tons of little details to catch just in the enviroment, or in locations. Animal behavior, etc.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Older than time itself and I'm more hyped for Horizon than I was for humanity learning to make fire

Just put my preorder down. Short of a sub 60 metacrtic, I think I'm decided. The impressions here are enough. This looks like a game that will fit right into my collection.

Oh, um 24. Forgot I was surrounded by ancient beings.
I didn't forget.

Any word on the install size? I know the day one patch is just 250 mb, but I'd like to know how much space I need to clear from my fridge (still rockin' a 500gb).

CoolNumber9

Hahaha! Grammar is not my strong point.

Now if I can get my daughter to stop playing fallout 4 long enough to try horizon, but then I'll have to buy 2 copies of the game and I'm not crazy about that lol.

Got my pre-order in today. All aboard! ^_^

It's going to be interesting going from my first full playthrough of TLOU to this. A very high, high, HIGHLY produced but ultimately last gen game, to something newer (in every sense) and reaching hard to hit those same 'holy shit' heights.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
More gifs: Some of these show a little bit more areas then shown and whatnot, still nothing huge but click at your own choice please.

ms40SP1.gif

DUf4xcZ.gif

8a2YUpa.gif

yyfEpgT.gif

pfpiO7n.gif

i6pCqth.gif
Just fucking absurd. Graphically, I feel this is this gen's Gears of War moment.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I'm constantly impressed by how damn good even a random leaf or flower of twig look up close.

Aim assist off?

Holy shit yes! That's actually such a big deal for me. Going from R6: Siege (which has no aim assist) to other shooters or games with aim assist is such a pain now that I'm used to it being off on consoles.

BTW about to hit about 10 hours and not even 30% yet. I mean I guess if I wasn't so compelled to do all side quests and exploration it would be much faster, but screw that lol.

SomTervo

No, you can't go anywhere like in Zelda due to the lack of the Zelda-like climbing mechanic and chute. The world design of the game is different than Zelda's.

Horizon features a more densely packed world designed around the robo encounters th an Zelda's sparse one.

Um, we don't know how sparse Zelda's world is yet. It doesn't look very sparse from recent videos/footage.

But you're right about the climbing thing.

Starting to feel torn between how much I enjoy this thread and how much I want to go into the game fresh.

Quick question Slasher et al, is sprint bound to a button or is it just full tilt on the analogue stick? If yes, what button?

I ask because I can't stand Arkham style face-button-to-run.

I wanna say it's the left stick click. I'm not playing right now so. Not 100 percent.

Um, we don't know how sparse Zelda's world is yet. It doesn't look very sparse from recent videos/footage.

But you're right about the climbing thing.

Just both in visuals (with things littered about everywhere), and the way the landscapes themselves are designed in BotW, it's far more spare in nature.

Horizons landscapes are far more constricted, more densely packed together and just filled with more things to see in that space.

Top Bottom