• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Zero Dawn won't be 'tutorialised'; RPG systems detailed

all the details we are listening are amazing really. The only thing that GG needs to do now is to confirm whether there is player choice and consequence during dialogues.

If that is also a check, then damn, put me in cryo sleep until the game releases!

Yeah I want a dialogue wheel with some meaningful choices and consequences. Not just bad or good either. With the writer they have this shouldn't be hard to accomplish.

tbd

This game is making me want a PS4 more than the other games they showed at E3 to be honest.

Honestly I didn't really expect RPG elements, I just assumed they were going to tell a story.

Almost everything has RPG elements today, especially open world games.

Mendax

Yeah I want a dialogue wheel with some meaningful choices and consequences. Not just bad or good either. With the writer they have this shouldn't be hard to accomplish.

That would be so cool. Maybe you or someone can ask them this on twitter;I would but I really dont know how lol..

When I think of next gen gameplay I think of games with more natural feeling mechanics and I'm hoping GG can succeed in delivering that. I was so glad to see her actually fighting the dinobot instead of some QTE set piece

I think this is the game that sells me a PS4. I was already close with Bloodborne, but €400 for one game felt a little steep.

Horizons, No Man's Sky, Uncharted, and P5 are some amazing games to look forward to :)

I have one real fear about this game. I hope they don't ignore the fact that the dinos are supposed to be at the top of the food chain.

It looked terrible how the girl was able to hunt gigantic robo dinos like it was a walk in the park. It should mimic real human history and we should only be able to tackle the bigger ones if we have traps, nets and a numbers advantage.

She looked like she was no1 on the foodchain there.

Humans and and dinosaurs have never coexisted so you can't automatically assume dinosaurs would be on top of the food chain. Also, she was using tools to fight the Dino which makes perfect sense

Greddleok

Has there been any info on why she's hunting these dinobots? It's not like they can be eaten. I assume it's a MonHun style thing of using their parts to make new weapons, but I'm curious as to the lore based justification.

terrier

I didn't like the early concept art leaks, but once i saw it in action seems a fun game that could be awesome, as long as the plot/story is interesing. Hope it turns out to be an awesome game, Guerrilla deserve it

Has there been any info on why she's hunting these dinobots? It's not like they can be eaten. I assume it's a MonHun style thing of using their parts to make new weapons, but I'm curious as to the lore based justification.
She's collecting that canister with green liquid the robo deer have in their back. Whatever it is, it's valuable to human in this world.

panty

This game sounds too good to be true.

Best of luck to Guerrilla Games, I'm so looking forward to this game. Please be amazing.

Shengar

I would not call it wasted potential. I'm glad they are focusing on making the making the best single player game they can. This project sounds ambitious enough as is.

Even discounting the fact that most similar game aka hunting big things, tribal society in the past usually hunt big animal together and some made it part of their culture.
If this installment is focused on SP, then that's okay. Maybe GG want to do an exclusively SP game after Killzones. But then the premise is already a fit for coop MP. Since they really focused on the SP aspect of the game going as far as talents hiring CDPR and Obsidian, that's I said in the future.

moozoom

Clearly the dialogue was for the purpose of the trailer.

It looks like it, but it's not sure... Incessant banter and internal monologue would break the mood for me. Hopefully there'll be an option to mute voice over if this gets in the game.

I'd love to have a character creation for this game, like in monster hunter or better - like dragon's dogma... a big part of the fun of crafting weapons and armor is playing dress up with my own doll.

alexein

I hope that they will focus on sp and maybe put multiplayer in a second game.

i'm really happy that its rpg and since they bring guys from big rpg witcher 3 ...
Its possible that you can negotiate with other tribe maybe with more human like like robots through quests and you could have many consequences (destroy a village...)
its offer a lot of possibilities i hope that there will trade instead of monetized system.

FrunkQ

Neo Member
This is one of my concerns. The two huge tail swipes she took from a huge hulking robot dino, looked out of place. Unless the tribes have armors, she should be broken up and killed. That said, Horizon is definitely on my list.

FFS - it is a videogame!

In the vast majority of videogames you can get shot 2-3 times - the screen turns a little red at the edges... you dash for cover and are fine again 5 seconds later. Or for more "realism" pick up a health pack or spend 3 seconds wrapping a dirty bandage around your arm which mysteriously disappears from your character model.

If I was shot by a gun in any part of my body I would probably be rolling around on the floor crying like a baby until an ambulance turned up and put me in a hospital for a few weeks to heal up. Then I would be hobbling around and complaining to everyone I knew for weeks before finally getting over the incident 6 months later. Not really a fun videogame experience.

If you are deliberately trying to look for lack of realism as a negative well stay away from ANY videogame, any blockbuster film - in fact ANY modern media.

Greddleok

FFS - it is a video game!

If you are deliberately trying to look for lack of realism as a negative well stay away from ANY videogame, any blockbuster film - in fact ANY modern media.

Spot on. Video games aren't about realism. They're about interesting mechanics and enjoyment.

This game....

this FUCKING GAME!!!

UVcUJw7.gif

Loudninja

Ex-Bethesda and CD Projekt Red developers helped build Horizon's open world
According to an interview with studio art director Jan Bart Van Beek and lead producer Lambert Muller, the biggest challenge for the team was the shift from making "a level that needs to take 45 minutes to an hour, to making an experience that needs to go into the dozens of hours, that maybe has dozens of things to do." So the best solution for Guerilla was to hire talent that knew how to make these sorts of games already. The studio brought on developers from Bethesda (the lead writer for Horizon worked on Fallout: New Vegas, for instance) and CD Projekt Red (the studio behind the massive fantasy RPG series, The Witcher).
These are developers who know how open-worlds work, and were brought on to help Horizon grow and expand, to turn it into a "machine that works, where every moment is fun no matter how you approach it." Guerilla is essentially learning how to build a sprawling game like Horizon from scratch, and while their ambitions were initially incredibly high, these devs stepped in to help them realize why certain elements of open-world games work the way they do. "This is a lesson learned on how to [avoid] the same mistakes that everyone's going to make when they first [develop] an open-world game," says Van Beek.
http://www.gamesradar.com/ex-bethes...-developers-helped-build-horizons-open-world/

Loudninja

GamesBeat: This is a very creative title, and very beautiful. Could you talk about how it got started and how you guys found time in between Killzones to get to it?

Hermen Hulst: We started work on this project after we finished Killzone 3. It actually started earlier than Killzone Shadow Fall. It’s the original creative team that completed Killzone 3. We wanted to do a new game, a very beautiful game. We’ve always worked in science fiction, but the Killzone series was a very dark kind of science fiction. We wanted to concentrate on beauty.
GamesBeat: It was interesting how you included the aspects of nature, the tall vegetation she was sneaking through, as part of how you approach these big things.

Hulst: We have an entire corner of the office at Guerrilla that just works on green things, these beautiful plants and vegetation. We’ve invented a lot of new plant species.
GamesBeat: When she disables the machines, I didn’t quite understand what she was doing. Is she somehow giving them some kind of electromagnetic pulse when she hits them?

Hulst: That’s her close combat weapon. She has that ability. But she doesn’t have the raw power of the machines. She’ll sometimes use the weapons you saw in the trailer, the weapons of the machines, against them. But she can also use electricity to stun them. She can use her rope gun tie them down. She has a rich range of weapons at her disposal.
http://venturebeat.com/2015/06/18/h...e-up-with-the-new-world-of-horizon-zero-dawn/

spekkeh

Banned
Was it? Oh man, if this game ends up being anything like Shadow of Mordor, I will be more heartbroken and bitterly disappointed than you can imagine.

So far, though, there's no evidence that it'll be the case. I still have faith.
Interesting. I'm really hoping it's like SoM. It had roving bands of orks that you could track across the land. Lots of different sandbox ways to tackle a certain situation, dynamic systems that kept track of what you did and showed this to an extent in the game world, and above all an open world that was just satisfyingly big but still very much manageable without making traversal a slog. Oh yeah and a good fleeing to dominating power progression. The problems of that game were imo much more in the story and setting, which of course are nothing like Horizon.

What makes you heartbroken about it mechanically resembling SoM?

This game looks soooo goooood!! the more I see it and read about it the more I need it! Haven't been this genuinely excited about a game in so long.

Jabba

Banned
FFS - it is a videogame!

In the vast majority of videogames you can get shot 2-3 times - the screen turns a little red at the edges... you dash for cover and are fine again 5 seconds later. Or for more "realism" pick up a health pack or spend 3 seconds wrapping a dirty bandage around your arm which mysteriously disappears from your character model.

If I was shot by a gun in any part of my body I would probably be rolling around on the floor crying like a baby until an ambulance turned up and put me in a hospital for a few weeks to heal up. Then I would be hobbling around and complaining to everyone I knew for weeks before finally getting over the incident 6 months later. Not really a fun videogame experience.

You can still be a videogame and address the concern that I brought up. You could only take one of those hits, one more and your toast. Doesn't the souls series deal with the same idea succesfully? I just didn't like that the protag took those hits it seems, without much consequence is all. Of course it's early and things could change.

There's no reason to get so defensive over it, surely not to the point of implying someone stop watching all media based on a possible perceived perspective. In no way do I want realism to 9th degree.

Anybody that plays games knows they usually do not mimic total reality.

Even if someone did have the realism perspective, can't they still enjoy said media or do they have to do as you tell them?

Yes, but does it in a way that sounds very "Tomb Raider 2013".
Tacked-on "RPG Elements" on Action games.

To me it doesn't sonded at all "Tomb Raider". I think it recalls closely the Monster Hunter kind of progression where your equipment is upgraded krafting the remnants of the enemies killed

FATALITY

Banned
You can still be a videogame and address the concern that I brought up. You could only take one of those hits, one more and your toast. Doesn't the souls series deal with the same idea succesfully? I just didn't like that the protag took those hits it seems, without much consequence is all. Of course it's early and things could change.

There's no reason to get so defensive over it, surely not to the point of implying someone stop watching all media based on a possible perceived perspective. In no way do I want realism to 9th degree.

Anybody that plays games knows they usually do not mimic total reality.

Even if someone did have the realism perspective, can't they still enjoy said media or do they have to do as you tell them?

these demos are normally in super saiyan mode

Capella

This is one of my concerns. The two huge tail swipes she took from a huge hulking robot dino, looked out of place. Unless the tribes have armors, she should be broken up and killed. That said, Horizon is definitely on my list.
She only took one tail swipe and some damage earlier from ranged attacks. According to some of the impressions from the demo shown behind closed doors, there are a lot of things we aren't seeing in the gameplay trailer like the HUD and damage numbers. She could have actually taken a lot of damage from those few attacks.

Top Bottom