• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Zero Dawn won't be 'tutorialised'; RPG systems detailed

Drencrom

GamesBeat: When she disables the machines, I didn’t quite understand what she was doing. Is she somehow giving them some kind of electromagnetic pulse when she hits them?

Hulst: That’s her close combat weapon. She has that ability. But she doesn’t have the raw power of the machines. She’ll sometimes use the weapons you saw in the trailer, the weapons of the machines, against them. But she can also use electricity to stun them. She can use her rope gun tie them down. She has a rich range of weapons at her disposal.

http://venturebeat.com/2015/06/18/h...e-up-with-the-new-world-of-horizon-zero-dawn/

Sounds good, I really do hope there's lots of melee weapons and use of them besides the bows and ropecasters. I personally prefer melee weapons over ranged weapons, so I hope they let you hunt with spears and swords too.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I wonder if they are using the term RPG too liberally. It kind of sounds more like a Farcry style game than a true RPG, which I am completely fine with.

I think I'm in love. Everything I hear about this game just makes me want it more. Hopefully we see a little more on twitch in a bit. I'd love to see how that "trip wire" looks.

Alo0oy

Banned
I wonder if they are using the term RPG too liberally. It kind of sounds more like a Farcry style game than a true RPG, which I am completely fine with.

Experience points to level up your character.
"Perks" as you level up.
Crafting armor & weapons.

Sounds like an RPG to me.

I think people are shocked when they saw it had great animations & gameplay & are having a hard time registering the game as an RPG, RPGs usually have janky animations & a very simple combat system.

Pandy

Experience points to level up your character.
"Perks" as you level up.
Crafting armor & weapons.

Sounds like an RPG to me.

I think people are shocked when they saw it had great animations & gameplay & are having a hard time registering the game as an RPG, RPGs usually have janky animations & a very simple combat system.
smh

It's an RPG in that there is a role, and you play it, in a game. Beyond that... not so much, from what we know so far.

Kvik

I would love to be able to play this game with KB+M, but alas, looks like I need to brush up my controller aiming skills.

Alo0oy

Banned
smh

It's an RPG in that there is a role, and you play it, in a game. Beyond that... not so much, from what we know so far.

No, we know you can level up, there's a skill tree, there are perks, you can craft items, weapons, & armor, & we know that you can mix & match between them with different layers. People are doubting its RPGness because it doesn't have janky animations. Despite everything we know so far.

Was she white? I thought she was more tan than straight up white.

Aside from all of humanity going through a tribal phase, how many years in the future does the game take place? It's clearly long enough for humanity to seemingly reset and the "ones who came before" to be ancient history that at the very least the average person doesn't know much about besides stories that probably fall into legend, which considering how much of history is being recorded today is very odd and is probably another indication that it's at the very least been a thousand years after the fall of the "modern" age. Are they playing on the "race of the future" idea?

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Sure, if we look at those things shallowly, Far Cry is exactly like The Witcher & Skyrim too.
Sure, but you are missing the point. I get the sense that this game is going to be more like Farcy in its RPG elements than, as you said, a Witcher or Elder Scrolls.

I just want to know why the machines are shaped like dinosaurs and animals. Did humans build them that way or did they build themselves?

hawk2025

Sure, but you are missing the point. I get the sense that this game is going to be more like Farcy in its RPG elements than, as you said, a Witcher or Elder Scrolls.

There's a gigantic difference between "I get the sense" and "exactly like".

You said "exactly like".

Alo0oy

Banned

Here's a question. Why?

The studio has been on a hiring spree, hiring RPG vets from Bethesda, Obsidian, & CD PRojekt. When was the last time a game was announced as an action RPG that you said "nah, that's not an RPG"?

So again, why the skepticism? It's pretty clear to me that the biggest reason is that the animations aren't janky like most RPGs.

This is the first I've ever seen people accusing developers of fabricating an entire genre, usually people doubt graphics, IQ, & even over-exaggerated game features, but doubting the entire genre? Despite all the evidence to the contrary?

TBH, the skepticism is making me even more excited, finally we have an RPG that doesn't have PS2 animations & an extremely simple combat system. The animations were too good that people don't actually believe the game is an RPG. GG's graphics, animations, production value, & polish with the combined talent from three big RPG veteran studios? Sign me up.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
TBH, the skepticism is making me even more excited, finally we have an RPG that doesn't have PS2 animations & an extremely simple combat system. The animations were too good that people don't actually believe the game is an RPG. GG's graphics, animations, production value, & polish with the combined talent from three big RPG veteran studios? Sign me up.

This.

Are people really so used to janky animations in RPGs that this blows their mind? Madness. Maybe if we stopped giving BioWare and Bethesda free passes, they would up their game...

Alo0oy

Banned
Are people really so used to janky animations in RPGs that this blows their mind? Madness. Maybe if we stopped giving BioWare and Bethesda free passes, they would up their game...

Yeah, I love their games, but people really need to be more vocal about the atrocious animations in those games, not only do they look a generation behind, but generations behind.

I'm still excited about Fallout 4 & Mass Effect Andromeda, but I can't say I wasn't disappointed with the animations in FO4. Hopefully ME delivers on that front.

I have one real fear about this game. I hope they don't ignore the fact that the dinos are supposed to be at the top of the food chain.

It looked terrible how the girl was able to hunt gigantic robo dinos like it was a walk in the park. It should mimic real human history and we should only be able to tackle the bigger ones if we have traps, nets and a numbers advantage.

She looked like she was no1 on the foodchain there.

Human history??

I don't want to jump to any conclusions, but look... Dinosaurs and man, two species separated by 65 million years of evolution. . .

Sounds great but I am hesitant about the upgrading through mech technology and armour. I don't want my character to look like mech Raiden by the end of the game, keep it organic

Alo0oy

Banned
Sounds great but I am hesitant about the upgrading through mech technology and armour. I don't want my character to look like mech Raiden by the end of the game, keep it organic

I'm guessing you'll have different upgrade paths, with heavy, medium, & light armor with different benefits. Defense vs Agility.

You must not be easily impressed, or else which other games are blowing your mind?

The fact that Horizon is leaving people impressed is not only because of the animations, I mean UC4 is probably more impressive in that regard. It's the total package, Horizon is just getting so many things right, at least for what it has shown thus far. Then there is the talent that is involved that is getting people hyped, plus they have taken inspiration from games that are loved by large amounts of gamers.

Horizon is promising to be very special and that is a breath of fresh air in an industry that's generally quite afraid to experiment and take chances.

RiverBed

Banned
Open-World, baby!

Wow, that is very, very impressive. Looking at the trailer (which it fantastically merges video and gameplay seemlessly) I was thinking linear game play because everything looked so damn good. This is the third time I hear 'open world' and I still can't fathom it. Now that I finally do, I am so impressed with GG. I wish them the best. They deserve it. The art, imagination, animation and design in the demo alone is top notch. Kudos to Guerrilla.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
So wait. This is an open world esque action RPG? I was under the impression it was a Gears like shooter.

Stasis

This game could make me get a PS4 if it's deep enough and reviews come in pretty good after a week or so. Almost every game that's been overly hyped pre-release has left me pretty disappointed thus far.

It looks fantastic, but I too fear that it'll be a lot more like Tomb Raider than a true RPG. I like huge open world true RPGs. If this is that, it'll be hard not to cave. If it's another Tomb Raider I'll be fine letting it pass by until it's dirt cheap down the road.

NastyBook

Horizon E3 wall:

nl5F5LS.jpg
Oh, man, that has to be a nice feeling. Nothing but indifference towards Killzone, now they've got hype coming out the wazoo. Congrats, GG!

Top Bottom