• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Zero Dawn won't be 'tutorialised'; RPG systems detailed

kyser73

Are people really so used to janky animations in RPGs that this blows their mind? Madness. Maybe if we stopped giving BioWare and Bethesda free passes, they would up their game...

You know what - the animation was literally the last thing on my mind when I was watching the demo.

wapplew

This game could make me get a PS4 if it's deep enough and reviews come in pretty good after a week or so. Almost every game that's been overly hyped pre-release has left me pretty disappointed thus far.

It looks fantastic, but I too fear that it'll be a lot more like Tomb Raider than a true RPG. I like huge open world true RPGs. If this is that, it'll be hard not to cave. If it's another Tomb Raider I'll be fine letting it pass by until it's dirt cheap down the road.

I think it will be like dragon dogma, action heavy RPG.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

I was a bit concerned when we got 'white people in native dress' opening, to be honest. I'm sure that'll turn into a thing.

Do people not understand that white people use to wear "native dress" during certain periods of history?

Loudninja

"If we had a slider," he said, "... you would say that open-world games kind of fit along a slider between super action open-world games — maybe you'd look at a GTA or maybe you'd take a look at an Assassin's Creed on that side — and then the really RPG-ish open-world games. Maybe you'd put a Skyrim on that side, or maybe a Fallout. We think we actually kind of fit somewhere in the middle. We haven't seen a lot of those RPG elements yet, but there are a lot in there and we look forward to showing quite a few of them down the road."
http://www.polygon.com/2015/6/24/8834897/horizon-zero-dawn-e3-2015-preview-gta-skyrim

Donthizz#

Game director just posted this. leaving it here.

qUMtwSel.png

It was definitely the most interesting PS4 game at E3.

Also, Guerrilla stole the robot dinosaur idea from me. Through my dreams or something. I was going to make a hunting action game out of it.

Keasar

A game that asks me to actually explore the possibilities of the tools I got instead of just giving them to me, ask me to do a thing that just HAPPENS to be nearby that requires that EXACT tool to solve and then expect me to repeat the procedure ad-infinitum?

Sold.

It was definitely the most interesting PS4 game at E3.

Also, Guerrilla stole the robot dinosaur idea from me. Through my dreams or something. I was going to make a hunting action game out of it.

They've been trespassing in all our dreams, man. I wish them luck in making good use of what they found.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
After Evolve, can we please stop pretending this means anything. Thank you.
(Although, hopefully the critics that picked Evolve will have learned their lesson and chosen more carefully this year. Or is that too much wishful thinking?)
What it means is that the people at E3 thought it had a good E3 show.

The same that is true in 2015 for Horizon was true for
Evolve in 2014
Titanfall in 2013
The Last of Us in 2012

That's all it means.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
I was just reading through the thread again and looking at those pics and thinking about their upgrade paths and such they've been discussing and at the same time mashing that together with people hoping (Just like me..) that there is more to the melee offerings in this game further down the line and it got me thinking...

I wonder if you could potentially rip specific elements off a Robo that could - lets say - be the hydraulic mechanism of their hind legs or spine or jaw or whatever... and then fashion those into leg armor... allowing you to run faster or jump much higher...
Similar elements fashioned into armor for your arms and body could potentially support very large swords/spears...

I know i'm probably dreaming a little at this point but... good lord this game has me hyped.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I am really curious to see what they do with the upgrade paths. They've talked about crafting armor from the robots. I wonder if you can go all the way from prehistoric hunter to cybernetic suit. I'd love to see a combination of high and low tech build up around Aloy.

Ha

I fully agree with you BTW

Fredrik

Sounds like the upgrade system from TR2013, which I liked a lot, it's awesome that they're doing it this way, adds depth to what otherwise could be yet another third person cover shooter in a cool world. Hopefully there are a few different branches in the skill tree based on different play styles, if you're offensive, defensive with armour/shields, use a lot of stealth, scavenger, attack by sword/axe or arrow/spear etc.

Donthizz#

Are those robo pterodactyls in the middle pic or is that the bird like creature we saw at the end of the trailer?

I was thinking the same. They look biological to me, plus se says in the tweet " feathers for decoration" did not see any feathers in the trailer.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
I am really curious to see what they do with the upgrade paths. They've talked about crafting armor from the robots. I wonder if you can go all the way from prehistoric hunter to cybernetic suit. I'd love to see a combination of high and low tech build up around Aloy.

Ha

I fully agree with you BTW

I'm thinking furs and beads and feathers and all things natural and awesome interconnected with a crazy full robo suit ...

OR mayhaps a more agile/ranged focused build would be much more natural looking with only bits of mechanics here and there while a strength/melee focused build almost has you looking full cyber suit style. Imagine the helmets! Full on Robo-Raptor visor!

I hate to psych myself up for stuff like this when it's not been shown or talked about basically at all by GG themselves but ooooohhhhhh baby does it get my imagination runnin. The whole idea of how do you open up this open world as you get upgrades and move through the story and all that... imagine running right alongside some of the faster robo dinos when you get high enough in your levels/armor... single jumps up onto the top of the Thunderjaw... unnnnfff... sogud

Alo0oy

Banned
Sounds like the upgrade system from TR2013, which I liked a lot, it's awesome that they're doing it this way, adds depth to what otherwise could be yet another third person cover shooter in a cool world. Hopefully there are a few different branches in the skill tree based on different play styles, if you're offensive, defensive with armour/shields, use a lot of stealth, scavenger, attack by sword/axe or arrow/spear etc.

Hopefully not, TR had the worst upgrade system I've ever seen in a game (no exaggeration), there was nothing RPGish about it, all it did is lock basic gameplay mechanics behind mundane & boring Assassin's Creed-like collectathons. Good thing TR had great gunplay, because that atrocious skill tree should not be used as an example by any developer ever.

Please Guerrilla, if you're reading this, don't make it like TR, please.

Bloodrage

Banned
Just let me customize Aloy's hair please, i hate that style.
First time I'm seeing a comment like this. Even if they allowed us to change her hair, I definitely wouldn't want to. It looks almost too perfect already, and the fact that it reminds me of Ygritte from GoT is a massive plus.

I hope they make zero changes to her. Love her face, love her hair, love her attire.

I'd really hope not. TR2013's tacked on RPG elements were fucking terrible and I'm pretty sure Horizon isn't a third person cover shooter.

2San

Are people really so used to janky animations in RPGs that this blows their mind? Madness. Maybe if we stopped giving BioWare and Bethesda free passes, they would up their game...
Mass Effect 3 is pretty smooth, sure it's no Gears of War 3, but what is?

sirap

Haha. I literally said "What the fuck is that" when I was got to that part. I played 1 and 2 as Femshep, but don't remember it being that bad.

I can't imagine the AD looking at that and saying "yep, looks perfect." Some of the animations in ME3 look so out of place compared to the first two.

This game is making me want a PS4 more than the other games they showed at E3 to be honest.

Honestly I didn't really expect RPG elements, I just assumed they were going to tell a story.

Other people have said the same thing in other threads. What's funny is that they've mentioned repeatedly that it was an open world RPG. But given GG's recent endeavors I can see why everyone thought it was just an action game.
Game director just posted this. leaving it here.

qUMtwSel.png

Fuck yes. I knew there was a reason why they showed wildlife outside of the robodinos.

Philippo

First time I'm seeing a comment like this. Even if they allowed us to change her hair, I definitely wouldn't want to. It looks almost too perfect already, and the fact that it reminds me of Ygritte from GoT is a massive plus.

I hope they make zero changes to her. Love her face, love her hair, love her attire.

Obligatory Avatar Quote

Seriously though, don't get me wrong: i too think they perfectly fit the character and actually wouldn't change them, its just that i really really dislike dreadlocks and the likes irl too.

I'm thinking furs and beads and feathers and all things natural and awesome interconnected with a crazy full robo suit ...

OR mayhaps a more agile/ranged focused build would be much more natural looking with only bits of mechanics here and there while a strength/melee focused build almost has you looking full cyber suit style. Imagine the helmets! Full on Robo-Raptor visor!

I hate to psych myself up for stuff like this when it's not been shown or talked about basically at all by GG themselves but ooooohhhhhh baby does it get my imagination runnin. The whole idea of how do you open up this open world as you get upgrades and move through the story and all that... imagine running right alongside some of the faster robo dinos when you get high enough in your levels/armor... single jumps up onto the top of the Thunderjaw... unnnnfff... sogud

Im hoping its a mix of high tech and cave man tech. I'm also thinking she will eventually be able to command a robo dino either as a means of travel or battle companion or both.

zkorejo

This looks really promising.

I want to see more gameplay and read/hear more about it before I hop on the hype train.

Top Bottom