• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How Activision Uses Matchmaking Tricks to Sell In-Game Items

Titania

That's just going to make people not play their games and proceed to (rightly say) that they have shitty matchmaking.

Dryk

That does sound scummy, but isn't it kind of a leap to assume the new player would want to buy the weapon the veteran has instead of being discouraged to keep playing at all?
Eh, do what you like Activision, I don't buy your games anyway (avatar quote).
The entire point of using these sorts of analytics is that you can figure out which buttons to push to get the positive response instead of the negative one on a player by player basis. Show them the cool items juuuusssttt enough and in just the right ways that they're tempted but not so much that theyre turned off.

Banzai

The entire point of using these sorts of analytics is that you can figure out which buttons to push to get the positive response instead of the negative one on a player by player basis. Show them the cool items juuuusssttt enough and in just the right ways that they're tempted but not so much that theyre turned off.

You're right. That they use this kind of data at all is pretty scary.

If someone is gullible enough to buy microtransaction shit thinking it will make them get better to be like their "idol" in a game, more power to Activision to capitalize on their fleeceability.

I would say it's shady because of impressionable kids making the purchases, but that is where mom and dad need to step in and do their job. It isnt even remotely on the level of the CS:GO scandal as far as how predatory that was.

Dryk

You're right. That they use this kind of data at all is pretty scary.
One day in the right hands it could be transformative. There are already stories of people adjusting their games difficult on the fly based on player behaviour. If you applied this sort of technology to goals like "engagement", "fun", or "suspense" you could make something great. But that's more of a consolation for the existence of this sort of thing than a good reason for it to exist.

Shengar

If someone is gullible enough to buy microtransaction shit thinking it will make them get better to be like their "idol" in a game, more power to Activision to capitalize on their fleeceability.
Look guys, it is actually achievement for drug dealer/alcohol seller/gambling den if they managed to get themselves an addict? Jesus Christ, the US had TOO many government already, can't they just let corporate do as they please to maximize profit? Let market run loose and see the industry usher into golden age by the Invisible Hand of Algorithm!

SoulUnison

Banned
Don't they think the good players in return will quit since they're playing with what basically amounts to cannon fodder? But yeah, this is pretty bad.

It's more likely more often the other way around.

The "well equipped" players get vindication for their collections and/or their "skills" by constantly getting a stream of less experienced and poorly outfitted players to stomp on.

Daffy Duck

Activision Statement said:
UPDATE: Activision sent us the following statment in regards to this new patent being revealed, stating that the matchmaking patent was an exploratory patent that is not implemented in any title.

“This was an exploratory patent filed in 2015 by an R&D team working independently from our game studios. It has not been implemented in-game.”

L42uJ2J.jpg

ghostjoke

Banned
This patent, though, specifically discusses how that system for pairing up players can also be used to entice a player to purchase in-game items.

"For instance, the microtransaction engine may match a more expert/marquee player with a junior player to encourage the junior player to make game-related purchases of items possessed/used by the marquee player. A junior player may wish to emulate the marquee player by obtaining weapons or other items used by the marquee player."

They found a way for cosmetic items to affect gameplay. Sorry, EA, you're going to have to kill another studio or two to win this year's coveted scummiest AAA publisher.

Shengar

As a Psych major going into Marketing, I think this is fucking BRILLIANT.

As a gamer, I think this is scummy as fuck and it's a practice that should be dropped immediately.

¯_(ツ)_/¯
The US is trully fucked up if their (soon to be) expert can't have ethics in their own field expertise.

1. Buy gun with real money
2. Get matched against players with lower skill
3."Wow this gun made me a better player" "I'm wrecking these fools!"
4. Buy more guns

Daffy Duck

Condrey tweeted saying he’s never heard of the system and that means it’s not in WW2, well I mean you would say that wouldn’t you.

wapplew

Activision have the patent, other publisher can't use same trick right? None Activision games are save then.

I am not buying call of duty because of loot boxes and will happily stay away from Activision games in the future.

If u was a new player and matched with someone who kept kicking my ass I would stop playing rather than pay more money.

Kalentan

I wonder if this is why Infinite Warfare matchmaking is so slow.

Wouldn't make sense. At least on PS4 matchmaking is still fast (Live in NA), and the game has enough variants and weapons that I would imagine the system would be a nightmare to work. Plus it's easy enough to get all of that stuff that it would be pointless.

DiscoJer

I would say it's shady because of impressionable kids making the purchases, but that is where mom and dad need to step in and do their job. It isnt even remotely on the level of the CS:GO scandal as far as how predatory that was.

It's not really gullibility though, it's psychology. Hell, it's beyond that, it's brain chemistry, even. Gambling addicts have brain chemistry that spits out dopamine when gambling. Stuff like this is no different.

Activision have the patent, other publisher can't use same trick right? None Activision games are save then.

Other publishers CAN use it, they just need to license it from Activision. If microtransactions is as profitable as they say, the high license cost wouldn't stop other publishers from using this.

Only way to stop publishers from using this is for the public to keep mtx profit below the license fee bar,or just stop buying mtx/playing mtx-games entirely.

CEJames

Wouldn't this just as well risk discouraging further purchases from the "marquee" player? "Gee, I can smoke all these scrubs... guess my dude is powerful enough..."

It's never about the veterans. Once they're well-established, they know they won't spend too much more money on the game. It's always about getting new people into the game to entice them to pay to catch up to the veterans. And the cycle goes on. Once they have your extra MT money, small or large, they've won. Onto the next newbie.

Chris1

Other publishers CAN use it, they just need to license it from Activision. If microtransactions is as profitable as they say, the high license cost wouldn't stop other publishers from using this.

Only way to stop publishers from using this is for the public to keep mtx profit below the license fee bar,or just stop buying mtx/playing mtx-games entirely.
Can't they use it just go about it slightly different?

Like how Sony patented checkerboard rendering so ms uses sparse rendering but they're basically the same things?

Condrey tweeted saying he’s never heard of the system and that means it’s not in WW2, well I mean you would say that wouldn’t you.

WW2 is apparently launching with cosmetic loot boxes, so there's no point for it to be there at launch.

Two months later when they add the new loot box guns it'll be a different story!

Daffy Duck

WW2 is apparently launching with cosmetic loot boxes, so there's no point for it to be there at launch.

Two months later when they add the new loot box guns it'll be a different story!

Expect two months of awesome lobbies with on-point connections, then magically matchmaking goes to shit.

But it's harmless, you don't have to buy them, it's cosmetic.

Have those excuses been used yet?

Don't forget the "game development is expensive".

Jesus christ.

How the fuck is this legal?

It's legal because that's how money is made. Marketing techniques that have existed for a long time. Just in algorithm form now.

Example: Store layouts are intentionally planned so that people buy things they wouldn't otherwise when coming into store. Most common items (the ones people come into store for) are all the way back in the store, so you are forced to walk trough "we want you to buy THESE items" -sections.

Example 2: Pretty people in adverts. Most of the time being pretty has nothing to do with product that is being sold, it's just there to produce a halo effect (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halo_effect) so you are more likely to buy the product.

Very few adverts in todays world have anything to do with helping the consumer and all to do with tricking you to buying things by any means necessary.

xviper

does Bliazzrd uses this system in Overwatch competitive mode ? i know that OW has no microtransactions but why the fuck do i get matched with a Torbjorn in attack ?

EA uses a much worse system in Fifa Ultimate team, it's called Handicap, when you pay hundred of dollars to open packs and get good players, your team will suddenly become retarded and you will probably lose most of the matches, you will miss most of the shots even if you are playing as Messi

Redders

Can understand it, even if it's shitty.

In MWR I was getting killed by the BOS14 a fair amount and I was like hey I want to try this gun. Proceed to get the gun and wreck fools with it completing the cycle.

Should add I didn't pay to get the gun (and wouldn't) just acquired through playing the game, but some people would pay to do this so it works.

Sjefen

And this is why we need regulations. They are litterary maping out how to exploit addictive behaviour in gamers to suck as much money as possible. Matchmaking in mp games revolves around lootboxes and microtransactions.

Its fucking scummy and greedy as fuck. Distgusting.

Spurs

Neo Member
I wouldn't mind Micro transactions if they were reasonably priced, however paying like 20 quid for some in game currency that doesn't really amount to a lot is shady as fuck when the entire game itself is only £40

Calabi

When I constantly lose matches to a super skilled player, it doesn't make me want to take a look at what they're using. It makes me want to stop playing.

I get their logic, but I don't know that it really works the way they think it does.

Yeah but I bet they can account for that. Their's likely a different method to exploit you. Their getting detailed metrics on all their players. Does everyone think they just ignore it and throw it away. I bet everyone would be shocked with the things they can figure out just from studying the data they have of you.

And all these people saying it doesnt work on me all these other people are idiots, your the biggest idiot if you don't think this stuff works on you.

This is par for the course now, and personally I dont think it bodes well for the future. With the technology they have now their getting increasingly better at manipulating people.

Devil's advocate - people are totally misreading this. It is putting people ON YOUR TEAM. So, if your profile shows you have an interest in sniper weapons, it pairs you with some dudes with sick sniper items.It's not a matter of "no items, get rekt". Doesn't seem quite as scummy, just trying to get you to buy stuff through envy. Which I guess is still a bit scummy, lol.

What do lootboxes and rigged matchmaking have in common?
Gameplay purposefully designed to apply pressure towards microtransactions.

Add techniques that use metrics to apply strategies down to the individual level to foster buy-in and you've got something pretty damn insidious afoot in modern gaming.

Top Bottom