• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How can the games industry resist and push back against Trump & his fascism?

Status
Not open for further replies.
They are not stating an opposition to the point of the OP, they are shitting that the OP even exists.

There is a difference.

Are you sure? The one saying that he's not a fascist on the first page got banned too, and that's not thread whining at all. It's... pretty weird for a forum to ban someone just because they expressed their political opinion

Staf

Just don't click on the fucking title. For fucks sake. I'm not the most liberal guy out there either, but if you don't like the thread, then stay the hell out. I don't get why you guys come in here, thread whine, then get banned, then act surprised.

What? No, it's not that. I agree with the sentiment. I just wish neogaf had Gaming/Politics/Off-topic since there are so many political topics.

Apologies if I offend, as a non American (living in another country) the types of things in the media I have read/seen on my local news websites have all been very anti Trump. In the lead up to the election there would be new stories each day with sensationalised headlines quoting the things Trump says. Occasionally there would be a neutral article highlighting the positive points from each party but I rarely if ever saw an article that I could consider 'Pro' Trump. From an outsider looking in I don't agree with the things Trump has said or his overall behaviour towards the presidency. However I do believe in democracy and while I don't think he is equipped to be an good, adequate or even passable president for your country. He did still win the election.... How can we say "He is Hitler" then at the same time over turn a democratic vote? I find that idea to be hypocritical. No matter who the leader of the free world is, I have hope that it won't stop people from being tolerant, respectful to one another. Sure there will be people who feel justified in their attitudes towards minorities but if everyone can band together and get passed the prejudice, then it won't matter who is in charge as the everyday man/woman will be doing the right thing to respect and treat one another as equals.

Well said. There is definitely always going to be room for disagreement, but neither side is going to end up satisfied if we don't find areas we agree and try to compromise on the others. Everyone is so far left and so far right and nothing changes. People will just find solace amongst those with similar beliefs.

What? No, it's not that. I agree with the sentiment. I just wish neogaf had Gaming/Politics/Off-topic since there are so many political topics.

There is an off topic section, but as this one is semi related to gaming the OP put it here. even if you didn't like the topic of the thread, I respect your opinion. I just wasn't sure if you were thread whining or not. My apologies for jumping to conclusions.

Jerbol

Apologies if I offend, as a non American (living in another country) the types of things in the media I have read/seen on my local news websites have all been very anti Trump. In the lead up to the election there would be new stories each day with sensationalised headlines quoting the things Trump says. Occasionally there would be a neutral article highlighting the positive points from each party but I rarely if ever saw an article that I could consider 'Pro' Trump. From an outsider looking in I don't agree with the things Trump has said or his overall behaviour towards the presidency. However I do believe in democracy and while I don't think he is equipped to be an good, adequate or even passable president for your country. He did still win the election.... How can we say "He is Hitler" then at the same time over turn a democratic vote? I find that idea to be hypocritical. No matter who the leader of the free world is, I have hope that it won't stop people from being tolerant, respectful to one another. Sure there will be people who feel justified in their attitudes towards minorities but if everyone can band together and get passed the prejudice, then it won't matter who is in charge as the everyday man/woman will be doing the right thing to respect and treat one another as equals.

I appreciate your positive thoughts. We are all personally responsible for our actions and it starts at home. Some may argue this is naive but we have to try anyway.

Not quite directly gaming related (although there are lots of Lego games), but Lego will no longer advertise in the Daily Mail (UK) after pressure from a group called Stop Hate (or something like that) due to the amount of bullshit that's printed by the paper. It openly encourages hate and bigotry.

I applaud you, Lego.

QaaQer

This is the first time I have weighed in on anything about this election. I have read hundreds of comments on Facebook, Twitter, spoke with people from work and my social groups and have read countless threads and comments on here reddit etc. To know how much salt to use I am not a Trump supporter. I would just like to say that I cannot abide insulting and judging a group based on who they voted for. We all have different backgrounds and upbringing and have been influenced differently by the media, school, and public opinion. It may seem painfully obvious to you that all the things you see, everyone else should see too. But it just (IMO) is not reality. I can see why someone would want Hilary as president and I can see why people would want Trump. I just do not understand insulting an entire group of people who feel a certain way when they have legitimate reasons (not racism, homophobia, etc) to do so. What may seem obvious to you may not be to them and its not just about intelligence or hate. I know several individuals who voted for Obama that voted for Trump. I live in a primarily Democratic state by the way. I feel that we should all fight for the things we believe in. That we can be better than this and video games can play a big part in that for our demographic. Making a statement for fairness and pushing for policies that we feel is good for our planet, our country, our family and our neighbors. A good fight that should be fought with reason and positivity. This hate and over generalization will just push forward the so called "Trump agenda". Please continue the good fight, we are all different and when we reduce people to less then human in our minds we forget that we are all in this together. Lasting change will never happen if we keep with the negativity. I will continue personally to try and be a better person. I know I have a long way to go. I hope our favorite industry chooses the high road on this one.

P.S. I am not the best at English so bare with me please.

For example, Trump saying to faces of the Ford Motor Co executives, in front of a factory in Michigan, that if they moved factories to Mexico, there would be a 35% tariff on the cars coming back. I'm guessing that turned a few voters in Mi.

Progress gets made through human interaction over time, not preachy videogames or other media. Having classmates, coworkers, friends, and (through marriages) family members from different groups is what pushes things forward. You cannot hate groups when you love individuals from those groups.

Budi

NEOgaf seriously need a separate section for political stuff.

As I stated earlier, I'm also tired of seeing Trump everywhere. And i'm not even from USA. But this could be interesting topic if people would actually talk about the topic, not whine about the thread, whine about the whiners or talk about the politics without the games.

DarkKyo

Why can't video games be about fantasy worlds and not try to influence the political world? I suppose companies and developers can throw their weight and money behind political candidates who are on the morally good side, but I don't think anti-Trump video games would be that entertaining. And that's the point, video games are an escapist medium in their base form. They help us mentally step away from the bad shit in the world. Those that are more though generally have messages that already have inclusive or righteous angles or morals. Very few moral undertones in video games are pro-fascism or pro-racism. Video games aren't hyper progressive(at least most are not) but in general they follow heroes that would already be anti-racism and likely anti-Trump. I would like to see more positive and inclusive messages in games but it's pretty hard to get as specific as you are implying.

Edit: I hope this isn't considered a whine post, it definitely was not intended to be. I just feel like video games are already more inclusive than Hollywood, so they are on the right track as it is(and will likely become even more progressive in time).

WarpathDC

Stays? It never has been.

Did you miss Bioshock? Sim City? Ms Pac-Man being a "way of thanking all those lady arcaders who have played and enjoyed Pac-Man"?

I see political themes everywhere in gaming now, across many genres. There are so many on steam it should warrant a political genre on the store drop down bar

reKon

Banned
NEOgaf seriously need a separate section for political stuff.

You seriously shouldn't read through threads you have no interest in reading. Why is so fucking hard? I'd love to hear your answer so I can confirm what I'm already thinking.

As I stated earlier, I'm also tired of seeing Trump everywhere. And i'm not even from USA. But this could be interesting topic if people would actually talk about the topic, not whine about the thread, whine about the whiners or talk about the politics without the games.
I think we need a warning in the OP that thread whining=ban.

Unknown?

OP sounds brainwashed. I'm not happy Trump is the president but I'll give him time to prove what he's about in his actions and not believe what the media tells me he is. If he doesn't do well then that's unfortunate and it's just four short years but if he does do good things then great! I respect Obama for meeting with him and wishing him well, a lot more mature than what I've seen going around on the internet.

That said the game industry doesn't have to do anything! Why would they? They've had plenty of time since the 80s to make anti establishment games or games making aware problems going on in the world but haven't overall. It's not their fight and would frankly be annoying to play game after game of propaganda.

OP sounds brainwashed. I'm not happy Trump is the president but I'll give him time to prove what he's about in his actions and not believe what the media tells me he is.
You can always just ignore the media and go by Trump's own words and his cabinet picks

And games have addressed or included political ideals forever. Including some of the most praised ones like Bioshock and the MGS series as mentioned above

Metal Gear Solid is probably one of the most political video game series in existence, if not the most political, since it's entirely about war, how war is conducted, and the effects of war.

I mean fuck, the first game dealt with the proliferation of nukes, the second one talked about the way information is disseminated in the modern world, the third was... well... more nukes, and a bit closer to campy James Bond fun, the fourth was entirely about a possible future and how war might be conducted in a supposed peaceful world, and the fifth was a commentary on the Cold War itself.

I love Metal Gear, and I love its politics more.

Metal Gear games are sexist as fuck though...

Sushi Nao

Collecting my ideas for discussion on a new page:

I want people to look at the consequences of their vote.

- A fun cool cops game but after a few levels you get orders to beat up a peaceful protest and then you end up killing a little Hispanic kid and it's super graphic and everybody is still like YEAH! GOOD JOB!

- A drone game where you think you're making a difference on the other side of the world, but you find out that you're bombing poor black neighbourhoods.

- An economics game where you need to find places to cut funding in order to secure tax breaks for the corporate interests who will get you re-elected, and the white neighbourhoods will balk at losing money, so you have to take it from communities of colour

- A day-to-day first person life simulator but instead of a power fantasy, you get spit on and pushed and harassed constantly and you don't know why except that your hands are a different skin colour than those of your harassers

- A word-matching game which starts with neutral emotional language but gradually becomes loaded with racial slurs and strongly coded violent language until it's revealed that the player is generating talking points for hate speeches

- A neighbourhood simulator where your character is rewarded greatly for spotting specific behaviour from your neighbours and reporting on it, which causes the police to swoop in and disappear them, but then you notice your neighbours are watching you too

- A prison simulator which starts relatively innocently but then you start getting mandates to torture specific segments of the population

- A Bully-style game in which the player completes tons of minigames to educate themselves, works hard to do well in school and keep their nose clean, then on graduation day they're shot by a police officer and there's nothing the player can do about it

- A flight sim with a futuristic jet that never lands and must refuel and repair in the air but eventually it's revealed that it's because its trillionaire passengers have exploited the world's population so badly that landing anywhere is certain death

- A city planning game where pollution is an unsolvable problem but it can be temporarily fixed by diverting it into poor communities and closing schools & increasing police presence there

besada

Banned
I think we need a warning in the OP that thread whining=ban.
Thread whining is always bannable. This thread isn't special in that regard, beyond the fact that at least four moderators are reading it.

As always, if a thread doesn't seem valuable or worthy to you, feel free not to post in it. If no one posts in it, it falls into oblivion. When people post thread whining posts, it bumps it to the top, drawing more attention. Not only is thread whining irritating and bannable, but it literally does the opposite of what the whiners want, which is to make the thread go away.

Woorloog

Banned
Collecting my ideas for discussion on a new page:

You probably gave alt-righter lurkers heart attacks with this good list!
If nothing else, they'll be livid and breathing and hissing "cuck cuck cuck cuck" (imagine them flapping their arms like chickens).

Garlador

OP sounds brainwashed. I'm not happy Trump is the president but I'll give him time to prove what he's about in his actions and not believe what the media tells me he is.

For the record, I'm a Republican, and I didn't need to watch the "liberal" news to tell me who he was. I just needed Trump to tell me who he was.

Because I read Trump's books. I read his own autobiography. I listened to his interviews. I watched the debates. I heard him speak at rallies.

Trump told me who Trump was. And he told me he was exactly the type of person the media reported him as.

Back on the topic... Concerning the game industry and Trump, the alt-right, and ignorance and intolerance in general...

... Just stay the course. That course being an every-growing diverse pool of characters, creators, writers, stories, and experiences.

I want and expect more games starring women, black people, Latinos, and other minorities. I'm expecting a big game will eventually come along starring a gay or trans individual, or a game starring a Muslim hero geared towards the masses.

Games are the ONLY medium on the planet that's interactive to such a deep degree, the only medium that gets so close to letting you literally walk in the shoes of another person and experience life through a new pair of eyes.

And I imagine there are a ton of developers out there who are more emboldened now than ever before to share those type of experiences with the world.

And I'm more ready than ever to experience them.

reKon

Banned
Thread whining is always bannable. This thread isn't special in that regard, beyond the fact that at least four moderators are reading it.

As always, if a thread doesn't seem valuable or worthy to you, feel free not to post in it. If no one posts in it, it falls into oblivion. When people post thread whining posts, it bumps it to the top, drawing more attention. Not only is thread whining irritating and bannable, but it literally does the opposite of what the whiners want, which is to make the thread go away.

Cut it out with that logic and allow people make their passive aggressive posts about political topics!

Or one could wait and see what actual legislation comes down the pike before taking action, both are valid options.
If one can decide what candidate they approve of by going by their words and past actions, one can do the same now. The beliefs and actions of Trump and Trump's current and potential cabinet picks speaks volumes

True very true

I wish we could all have your tag.

I'd like to see a purely modern day Assassin's Creed, maybe one slightly in the future with the Templars coming out in the open. Could be a lot of political commentary to make there.

Mechazawa

Another day, another thread where people don't read past the thread title.

OP is predominantly giving examples of game developers pushing back by changing their hiring practices and donating money to civil rights organizations, and people in here are crying about video games using "propoganda".

Fucking christ.

Nanashrew

Banned
Or one could wait and see what actual legislation comes down the pike before taking action, both are valid options.

I mean, Joe Arpaio for homeland security? A person who has abused his power, misuse of funds, committed unlawful enforcement of immigration laws, election law violations, unlawful discriminatory police conduct and racial profiling which he was sued for.

DarkKyo

Because video games are a form of art and expression, and throughout history art and expression (books, movies, music) have often reflected politics in culture.

They already do this! I get what OP is saying but lots of video game stories and worlds are already on the morally righteous path without being completely heavy handed. A game can have good messages about acceptance and love without invoking thoughts of real-world politics and events.

Garlador

Why can't video games be about fantasy worlds and not try to influence the political world?.

I don't think Pokemon, Mario, Minecraft, or Street Fighter are going to suddenly turn into political commentaries on the problems of our current social and political climate.

It's like movies. You're going to get fantasy films and you're going to get films like "Spotlight" and "The Imitation Game".

It's almost like "video games" can be more than just the genre of fantasy.

Games that promote tolerance and understanding is what is needed.

Before Trump and now....
I agree with this. The capacity to really FEEL things due to the interactive nature of video games make them a really powerful tool for empathy, I would love to see it used in this way.

Yokai

Hitler won a democratic election too.

There's actually nothing wrong or immoral about protests against a to be president. Unfortunately, I wish all of these protestors where more actively supporting the candidates we had and took more action to push voters out to the polls.

There's actually nothing wrong or immoral about protests against a to be president. Unfortunately, I wish all of these protestors where more actively supporting the candidates we had and took more action to push voters out to the polls.
I'll bet my entire game collection against yours that Trump doesn't open concentration camps during his term.

Garlador

One positive is this was one of the largest "wake-up calls" I've ever seen for the nation.

It's going to take a long, long time to recover and regroup, but I fully expect the result of the election to be felt as we move forward, not just in the political area but also in the type of movies, music, and games that will be made.

I'll bet my entire game collection against yours that Trump doesn't open concentration camps during his term.
Please shut up.

My family was imprisoned in internment camps in America less than a hundred years ago. That happened under the tenure of a president many in the nation respected and even still admire.

Don't belittle the threat that minorities, people of color, and Muslims face, because this dismissal is ignorant of our nation's actual modern history.

I don't think Pokemon, Mario, Minecraft, or Street Fighter are going to suddenly turn into political commentaries on the problems of our current social and political climate.

It's like movies. You're going to get fantasy films and you're going to get films like "Spotlight" and "The Imitation Game".

It's almost like "video games" can be more than just the genre of fantasy.

Weirdly enough, Pokemon has had political themes for a while, mostly in dealing with subplots and the enemy teams though. Not in Gen 6 though. Team Flare was dumb.

DarkKyo

So then what was the point of your question?

I guess I'm saying there isn't much more that can be done within the medium at this point in time. I feel like even besides the moral messaging they let us peer into worlds of imagination that can nurture creativity and relieve stress, which are both important in dark times such as these. If you want to fight political battles it is more effective to do so outside the echo chambers of video game worlds and video game culture that the problematic people in society probably do not even take part in(aka the racist baby boomers voting for Trump). The escapism of gaming even has the potential to make life worth living away from the real world. Imo that's enough, but like I said I have no problem with video games becoming increasingly more important in the realm of cultural and political discussion, I just feel like that's second to what they already provide.

SaniOYOYOY

a game that deals with minorities, diversity,chain of hatred as the part of its narrative can be a good start i think...... idk.,some kind of open world game where you encourage peoples to stay cool or beat the shit out of provocateur sounds orignial to me

Sai-kun

Banned
ah yes, the old 'your intolerance of MY intolerance is just as bad!!!'

i don't think i've ever seen anyone argue that a vote for hillary made you a good person. ever. i've never seen that.

also fucking LOL @ calling neogaf fascist. it's a private video game discussion forum. get over yourself.

edit: oops bye

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom