• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How do you keep your cats out of your consoles?

Cowie

A friend of mine used a Nerf Dart Gun to dissuade her cats from being on/in the way of electronics where a water spritzer wouldn't cut it.

Another friend would yell "HEY ASSHOLE" and the cat would meow and then leave, so give that a shot.

What's weird about all the reports of no cats on PS4 is that it's a relatively recent adjustment for Sony. Cats had no problem riding the PS3.
jLBc8l3jO1CJR.jpg

Dabanton

Does anyone else's cats go for the tv when you're playing specific games? mine are entranced by destiny and would always try to catch the flies that buzz around the orcs in the pause screen for shadow of mordor.

One of mine really loves GTAV especially when I'm driving and recently the other cat has been really entranced by Sunset Overdrive, he was sitting on the arm of the chair I was in yesterday watching me play, I think the explosions and noises pulled him in.

I'm actually surprised the cats don't go for the TV more actually as I sometimes play those Youtube videos for cats series where someones filmed a bird nest. playing them on a big screen and seeing the cats reactions is hilarious.

I don't do anything. Luck of the draw - my cat doesn't mess with any of my stuff. So I think it depends on the feline. And hell, mine was a feral cat I rescued about 6 years ago. He's totally domesticated now and he follows me around wherever I go like a puppy dog. But he's one of the most well behaved pets I've ever owned.

c71YH3O.jpg

Holy shit, you cat is fucking huge he make Xbox One looks normal sized.

lol don't challenge the cat

That because cats choose you, not the other way around

So far, there 2-3 confirmation that cats don't sit on PS4.
Someone in the marketing team should make something out of this
Can confirm some cats do like sleeping on ps4's, one of mine goes to sleep on mine from time to time. I would rather she didn't of course but if I'm not using it I can't bring myself to move her since she looks so sweet.

suzu

Just give it another high place to chill on that is more appealing than your toasty consoles. Or give it a cardboard box.

Keep a water spray bottle around. Use it enough and you just pointing it at the cat's direction will scare it off.

Also a lot of cats hate citrus smells. Maybe try leaving some orange peels near your tv stand for awhile until the cat leaves it alone completely. lol

Big Nikus

I adopted a kitten ten days ago, he was in a pretty bad shape. He had been left anonymously at an animal shelter, nobody knows where he lived before but he was weak, hungry, he had to be washed twice and still had fleas... the water was almost black. Now he's getting his strength back, and the first place he went to was the PS3. But he quickly found an even better place: my shoulder. I don't know how he manages to sleep like this. Here, browsing GAF in the morning :

(click to enlarge)

I tried to prevent him from sleeping on my armchair and I put some stuff on it but obviously, he's a cat so he doesn't give a fuck. My plan failed miserably:

However, I can vouch for the aluminium foil technique, but you need to cover the entire space otherwise he'll make do with a teeny tiny spot because you know, cats... And yeah they don't like the smell of oranges and citrus.
(I love him)

Spyware

I have had 5 cats in my life. No console sitting ones, but I think it's because I always had something for them to sit on higher up. Most cats want to be where you are and keep an eye on things. For the last cat we had a cat tree in the center of the biggest wall in the room. She could sit/sleep up there and have a complete view of the whole room. She also had a box in one corner of the room where we had the computers. Always went there when we were both sitting there.

I saw that someone told you to "pick them up by the scruff of the neck". Do not do that. It hurts them the same as if someone picked you up by a small part of your skin only. You can gently grab a cat there (and not lift!) if they need to be calmed down, nothing else.

People telling you not to spray or in other ways scare away the cat are right tho. All of mine were rescue cats and most had really bad anxiety problems. They need to feel safe.

Provide the cat with better places to sit and sleep. Move her there constantly but gently if she still walks over to the consoles and tell her to get down. In time she will learn.

Top Bottom