• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How do you keep your cats out of your consoles?

Jolkien

Oh and most cats detest the odor of citrus, one thing I did when it was super young was put orange peel near and around the Christmas tree (he always sprinted and jumped in it) and it stopped him.

Sayter

tqqD6Lx.png

'Soon. Soon I will play Scalebound.'

I told my gf I would never move in with her unless I have a room the cat is not allowed to enter. Good thing we broke up. :lol

mollipen

Best answer ITT. New girlfriend AND an animal that doesn't stink up part of your living space with a box of its own shit.

Dogs stink, just in different ways. People who think dogs don't stink have just gotten used to the smell.

Also, if we're talking about animals that won't tear up your house (and the things in it), dogs are the worse option, not the better one.

tqqD6Lx.png

I'm not sure I'd trust my 40" on top of that horizontally, but vertically, it would fit our books and games, and possibly free up room to put the Xbone on a lower shelf with less cat room. Hmm...

A: That cat looks badass.
B: It's eerie how similar your setup is to mine. I have a 40" TV that horizontally fits square in the middle of the shelf. When I lived at my old studio apartment, I'd considered strapping the TV to the top of the shelf to use it vertically, but changed my mind.

The only things I have under the TV are my soundbar and the cable box, with my audio system resting on the side of the shelf.

Everything else is in the cubbyholes. I also have little baskets that store all of my games and accessories. Even if you're unemployed, you could probably fix your setup and buy yourself peace of mind for less than the cost of two new games.

I would also second the dude who mentioned cleaning the wood with lemon polish. That should prevent the perching. In general, cats like Lording over shit by being up high. Give them places to Lord over that aren't the TV stand and everyone will be happier. You can probably achieve that while at Ikea with some simple shelves that mount into wall studs for $30 or less.

(Also, I recommend streaming some episodes of "My Cat from Hell" on Netflix on one of those consoles. Jackson Galaxy is doing God's Work.)

joecanada

Just to be clear, she only has one cat right?

Make sure it stays that way. My buddy dated a chick we later nicknamed "crazy cracked out cat lady Clare "... Don't ask (she wasn't a crackhead just to be clear)

Brokun

Guys it's ok. I have had cats my entire life, and I am a doctor. A cat doctor. For cat problems.

The box trick works pretty well but does little in actually disciplining them when they decide today is not box day. Use a fine mist water spray bottle, spray them in the face, and be consistent, not just with your consoles. Kitchen counter? Spray bottle. Whining for food just after being fed? Spray bottle. Clawing the spray bottle? Spray bottle. Eventually the cat will fear the disciplinary action.

My cat is not afraid of the spray bottle itself, however if I am holding it and pointing it at him he darts off in the other direction. It can be from across the room. I don't even have to get off the couch.

Cat stays dry. My stuff stays safe.

Consistency is the key. They will test your boundaries and your laziness and if you let it go even once you will have a longer more difficult battle ahead.

Good luck!

Get a new girlfriend who has a dog.

But what if the dog starts standing on his Xbox One? I had a black lab dog that actually ate my PlayStation with Tekken 2 in it. Went to the mall with my brother and parents, when we came back... there were just small bits all over the floor. Most of it was obviously eaten and she somehow never got sick. All that plastic, the disk, motherboard, and components were just gone.

Rockondevil

From my experience with having cats my entire life they will do whatever the fuck they want whenever they want and nothing you can do will stop them.
Sorry.

sublimit

Banned
tqqD6Lx.png

I'm not sure I'd trust my 40" on top of that horizontally, but vertically, it would fit our books and games, and possibly free up room to put the Xbone on a lower shelf with less cat room. Hmm...

That box is 2 months old.

That cat looks like Batman lol.She also looks like she is ready to slap you. She probably knows that you don't like her and she tries to piss you off. :p

system11

They're an ungodly nightmare. I've spent hundreds of pounds so far trying to stop the neighbours cats crawling all over and scratching my new car or using our garden and front yard as toilets. People shouldn't buy animals they can't control, absolute pests.

inki

They're an ungodly nightmare. I've spent hundreds of pounds so far trying to stop the neighbors cats crawling all over and scratching my new car or using our garden and front yard as toilets. People shouldn't buy animals they can't control, absolute pests.

You cannot control a cat my friend. They allow you to feed and clean up after them. I could see you getting mad about a neighbor letting a dog do that though.

system11

You cannot control a cat my friend. They allow you to feed and clean up after them. I could see you getting mad about a neighbor letting a dog do that though.

I get mad about my neighbours irresponsible choice of pet affecting me financially and fouling our property. I think cats should have to be controlled just like dogs are. Can't do it? Don't inflict your animals on others. They also killed all the nesting birds we had in the garden.

I have nothing against house cats - by definition they are not my problem.

XOMTOR

Get some wide packing tape and lay it sticky side up. After she has dealt with that a few times, she'll stop. Worked wonders for keeping my cat off the kitchen counter during the night. I use the cheap dollar store crap since it's not too sticky.

Ultimately, the best plan when having pets is to just have a pet friendly home. They're kinda like young children and will get into anything if allowed so you always have to think 3 steps ahead of them. We've always had older cats so it really wasn't an issue but after our last cat passed away, we adopted a kitten followed shortly by a puppy so we really had to make sure the house was in order. It's not so bad since the house has never been cleaner and more de-cluttered. Nothing gets left out on the coffee table, counters or island anymore, shoes are always put in the closet, wires are all tucked away safely.

DiscoJer

Put an empty box on the floor. Cat will get in that instead.

It's probably sitting on it because it smells like a box.

catsinabox_zps2ff03289.jpg

Prototype

The scruff and spank works well.

Lightly Scruff the back of the neck, say "No", then a light spank on the butt.

My cats are angels now. They know not to go near wires or any electronic devices in the house.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Put an empty shoe box a few feet from your entertainment center. Cat will trade up in 7 milliseconds.

My girlfriend moved in with me not too long ago, bringing her cat with her.

I don't like pets, but I try. I pet it. Until it happily scratched me, I brushed it. I fed it.

In fact, I just fed it today. 10 minutes later, the damn thing was standing on my brand new Xbox One, on a TV stand that I previously had to shove empty boxes into to keep her from casually crawling through the other consoles and all the cables in the back.

I am at my wit's end.

I can't flick water at her or use a spray bottle because it doesn't mix well with electronics. Is the only solution an enclosed stand, which might have ventilation issues or otherwise create problems with plugging in wired controllers?
If you live in a building, throw it out the window, it'll land on its feet. If you live in a house, chase it outside with a lawnmower.

Either you own the cat or the cat will own the shit out of you.

Tigress

Speak to any vet and they'll tell you not to do this. Doesn't matter if it's an "inside cat". Trimming a cat's claws is not the same as trimming your own nails. And cats absolutely need their "full" claws.

LolWhat? A cat's claws are fine trimmed long as you don't cut the quick (the red part of the claw). And no vet is going to tell you that (in fact some are fine with even removing them <- I completely disagree with this practice by the way, just saying that some vets aren't even abject to removing them entirely). In fact it's bad not to trim their claws cause otherwise they get stuck in things and can damage them (I know, I have a siamese that for most her life was very hard to trim her nails and she did get caught in things and would panick and twist her toe around trying to get free. It's taken years and me learning the best way of getting her for her to be ok with it now. I've learned for her the worst part is the chasing/knowing it's about to happen than the actual clipping part so if I just surprise her when she jumps up on me she's a lot less traumatized. Note I said the worst part for her is the being chased part, not the clipping of the claw part).

Shoot, I trim my cats' claws often and now they're so used to it I usually can get away without them even caring so much until having to get the dew claw (Cause of angle it's harder and they notice as I am trying to twist it a little so I can get a better angle).

Yes, cats need their claws (I am dead against declawing). They don't need the "full" claws though (as in you're fine to clip the tips off), that's absolute rubbish.

Also, just cause it puts holes in the cardboard doesn't mean it is going to do that to your xbox. First of all,c ats love scratching on cardboard. Or things that pull at their claws (The reason cat claws stay so sharp is unlike growing out like our nails or a dog's claws they shed the outer layer like a snake would but just on the claws. But to do this cats need to pull off that outer layer so they like materials that their claws stick into to scratch on so that the material will catch the outside sheath and pull it off so the old part of the nail gets pulled off. Plastic is not very good for that so in general most cats are not going to try to scratch on plastic <- cats being animals and having minds of their own this is not a guarentee but a probability). This is why the best scratching posts are ones that are covered in materials like sisal rope (Something rough that catches edges really easily). And cardboard, cats really love scratching on cardboard in general.

tqqD6Lx.png

At least it's doing the right thing and not covering the vent/fan.

hunchback

First you send me a PM with your address. Second:You take the girlfriend out to dinner and a movie. Leave me a key under the flower pot. Third:Come home to a cat less house. Fourth:Send me 25 dollars.

Seriously. Balloons have worked in the past. The Xbone is pretty sturdy so I put a Hellboy bust on it. It's heavy enough to not be knocked over by the cat.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
photo.jpg

My cat was doing this for a while before I had everything organized. I thought she'd just stay there for a bit, but it happened every other time I went to play. I kept saying "get down" or I'd go and lift her off. The worst time my PS3 fan was acting up and the console made that overworked noise. I only had them there since I had just bought the TV and I had no stand for it.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
My consoles are like 5 feet off the ground with no furniture anywhere near the shelf. No cats on the thing at all. It's not really difficult.

Uh... I had a cat that could touch the middle of my living room ceiling by wall-jumping. She didn't even need help from furniture or counters to get literally anywhere in my home.

Slixshot

Banned
Urinate on them to mark them as yours.

Most problems can be solved by pissing on things.

giphy.gif

Actually made me laugh out loud

tqqD6Lx.png

That cat is staring at you and sayin "Yeah, what you gonna do about it? Punk."

Cats don't give a fuck. This is something you need to learn.

As a dude that has had several cats in my life, and an 18 year old one now, this is the exact truth, and the exact reason I like them..

Cats do whatever the fuck they wanna do and will look you in the eye and dare you to stop them while they do it...

Top Bottom