• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How do you keep your cats out of your consoles?

SURGEdude

PS4 comes with cat repellent. Ugh, X1 doesn't have this basic feature? You picked the wrong console my friend.

Surprisingly so in light of Don Mattrick's obvious rat heritage. You'd think he would do anything to keep those clawed furballs far away from his all-in-one entertainment and gaming system and nest. I'm just gonna go ahead and blame Kinect for MS cutting such a central feature ;)

quabba

tqqD6Lx.png

I'm not sure I'd trust my 40" on top of that horizontally, but vertically, it would fit our books and games, and possibly free up room to put the Xbone on a lower shelf with less cat room. Hmm...

That box is 2 months old.

Your cat is just sitting on the highest available flat surface they love doing that so you need to give it something else to sit on. Ideally you should put a cat shelf up/get a stand for it to climb up and sit on, or clear some space up high the cat can jump up to. Just taking away the flat surface of the Xbox one with tape or a controller might stop it from using it but if the cat can't sit up high its behaviour might get worse.

The simplest solution could be moving some of that other crap away, putting something on the Xbox one (that won't cause any problems like a controller or remote or figurine) and putting a box (like a shoe box/lid or something) in the clear space for the cat.

spannicus

These motherfuckers ate two sets of cords from my A50's and my xbox one headset adapter adapter cable. Damn I hate cats. When they get up there punt them.

KyleCross

I've dealt with this hell for 6 months. Now I'm moving out and this person wants me to keep the cat. I love this cat, he's adorable and he is attached to me by the hip... but he's a fucking nightmare. He attacks us at night, he knocks the shit off the shelve, he has to climb on everything including my TV. I had to start tapping a huge ass cardboard box over my TV screen whenever I leave or go to sleep because every time I'd come home or wake up to paw marks down it from where he's climbed. Somehow he hasn't managed to scratch it.

I can't fucking keep this cat, tho I'd love to. Most I could do is get his claws capped but that only lasts a few months and isn't cheap, and he'd still jump headfirst into us from a high shelve while we sleep, knock stuff off our shelves, and put prints on the TV.

Aces&Eights

Bottom line: This is like the old adage of tricking a drug sniffing dog's owner, rather than the dog. You are not going to convince a cat to not do something it wants to do. Period. You need to make it want to not sit on your xbox. Therefore, put something on the xbox it doesn't like. My idea? A Slinky. Simply stretch a slinky across the system and tape each end down Right across the middle. It now has no place to sit, and you are not using water, scarecrows, laser lights or anything that is going to hurt your system. The slinky is a horrible thing to try and sit on. It's easy to get stuck and every cat that I have seen try and play with one hates it. They can't bat it around, their paws fall through the coils but since it is not sharp it doesn't hurt them.

Seriously, I have seen this work. It sounds stupid but it actually looks kind of cool. Likea small prison fence guarding your toys.

Aiustis

You have to provide your cat with its ideal space. Maybe your console is in your cat's ideal space type.

My cat used to hide where I kept my console; I realized she just liked closed in, low to the ground spaces and I made her her own nook and gave it a heating pad. Now a days she's more into my wardrobe or roommate's bed.

Also invest in a spray bottle. That's how I got my cat to stay off counters and tables.

Joei

My wife got rid of her cat about 2 years ago. No way I could live with that thing, cats are f'n awful.

DSix

Banned
Simply get pissed off at the cat very time he does that. Cats are intelligent creatures, he will immediately understand why you are angry and won't hold it against you and won't do it again after a while.

Derpcrawler

Gaf, you will laugh at me, but I always kept my cat from place it's not supposed to be by spraying orange skin residue/oil. Just get fresh orange, peel of skin, fold skin and press, it will spray oil. You can try on your cat.

For some reason both my cats avoided this shit like fire, not daring to even enter room it was sprayed in for hour and avoiding direct spot for weeks until it wears off. Since then I moved to China to study, and don't have a cat so no problems like this. But this is very handy, if you want for your cat to stay away from certain spots. It's old trick if you want your cat to stop pee in anything other than cat toilet, people who have cats know that as soon as cat find other place other than kitty toilet to pee/shit in, they go there from time to time, when they cbf stroll to toilet. Orange oil is a way to make them stop doing it.

If you don't believe and have cat + fresh orange at hand, just try it. Your cat will run shitless away from you.

Empty box or bag tends to work. Otherwise when our cat steps on my PS4 it's for attention and I just give him a stern look and a "noooooope". Ends up sitting on the couch or on something comfy and warm instead. Cats are awesome.

Aiustis

Gaf, you will laugh at me, but I always kept my cat from place it's not supposed to be by spraying orange skin residue/oil. Just get fresh orange, peel of skin, fold skin and press, it will spray oil. You can try on your cat.

For some reason both my cats avoided this shit like fire, not daring to even enter room it was sprayed in for hour and avoiding direct spot for weeks until it wears off. Since then I moved to China to study, and don't have a cat so no problems like this. But this is very handy, if you want for your cat to stay away from certain spots. It's old trick if you want your cat to stop pee in anything other than cat toilet, people who have cats know that as soon as cat find other place other than kitty toilet to pee/shit in, they go there from time to time, when they cbf stroll to toilet. Orange oil is a way to make them stop doing it.

If you don't believe and have cat + fresh orange at hand, just try it. Your cat will run shitless away from you.

I did that once to see how effective it was. Hilarious.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
My wife got rid of her cat about 2 years ago. No way I could live with that thing, cats are f'n awful.

Got rid of? You sound like a couple of winners.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
You don't.

And you should not be spraying water at a cat for standing on your stuff. That is fucking cruel.

Cats aren't really that aversive to water, it's more the suddeness of it all. My cat loves to take showers, like he literally begs me to do it sometimes.

Edit: Regarding the orange trick mentioned above. Cats absolutely despise any citrus fruit smell. My brother accidentally got some lemon extract on the nose of one of his cats once and he described it as the cat looking like its face was literally trying to crawl inside itself. Poor thing.

You need to change the box all 4 weeks because it must smell new and fresh. The picture you showed looked like a very old card box. Cats are very picky when it comes to boxes. I repeat boxes should be new and should have a fresh smell on it. You can increase your chance in rubbing catnip into the box.

msX6aE9.png

Alternatevly, you can put the box away for a week or two and take it out again. This works with toys that they've grown tired of as well, you don't really need to throw old ones out and buy new ones. Just have a bunch that you can keep in rotation.

Popsickles

It probably thinks your Xbone is a litter tray.
Seriously though I think its time for a new girlfriend, cat lovers are psychos.

EGM1966

Empty boxes in the room and vertical position works with my two cats. If it's the heat lure 'em away with a hot water bottle.

If you're feeling mean quickly move them away from the console and spray 'em with some water (not too much). They'll soon learn console = moved and sprayed. Don't overdo it it should be light spray though. Soak 'em and you'll probably end up with an expensive vet bill for a cat with a cold.

You can use a touch of lemon juice to keep him away from anywhere. But never spray it directly on him, since it is very poisonous to them and could kill him.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Empty boxes in the room and vertical position works with my two cats. If it's the heat lure 'em away with a hot water bottle.

If you're feeling mean quickly move them away from the console and spray 'em with some water (not too much). They'll soon learn console = moved and sprayed. Don't overdo it it should be light spray though. Soak 'em and you'll probably end up with an expensive vet bill for a cat with a cold.

Don't really have to spray them at all. Just keep taking 'em off and they'll eventually get it.

I want a cat now.
I want one SO bad. They don't smell, they clean themselves, you don't have to pick up their poop outside like a dog, you don't have to walk them every day. All you have to do is feed them, clean litter box, and maybe vacuum hair, that's it. In return you get a great pet.

Unfortunately, my apartment's whole living room and kitchen has a wooden floor. I'm thinking a cat wouldn't work because they like to scratch things.

Brashnir

I want one SO bad. They don't smell, they clean themselves, you don't have to pick up their poop outside like a dog, you don't have to walk them every day. All you have to do is feed them, clean litter box, and maybe vacuum hair, that's it. In return you get a great pet.

Unfortunately, my apartment's whole living room and kitchen has a wooden floor. I'm thinking a cat wouldn't work because they like to scratch things.

A cat won't hurt a hardwood floor. They like to scratch on things they can get their claws into, like carpet and your sofa.

Joei

Poor cat.

Oh please. Poor cat my ass. That she beast is with 2 other cats and people that actually want shedding, hissing, basement pooping animals. What do you think happened? She was dumped on the side of a road or something?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
yeah, fuck cats.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dCK_qC4VDQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-gHYHzskrw

god, those guys are useless, sometimes!

they barely go for my PS4 though, they just chill and watch / sleep when i play.

they do teach you proper cord and cable management. If you hide the clutter there's nothing for them to play around with.

cats are great.

those are beautiful. I grew up with dogs but our house has no pets currently, and my daughter really wants one. I don't think it would be fair to have a dog due to work etc and leaving it alone, so a cat might be an option.

Get a new girlfriend who has a dog.

By having a dog instead.

buy a dog

Best answer ITT. New girlfriend AND an animal that doesn't stink up part of your living space with a box of its own shit.

Get a dog. Cats suck.

By getting real pets like dogs.

In the past couple of weeks I've learned from users on here that indie games aren't real games and now that cats aren't real pets. I don't know what to think anymore!

It is interesting to note though, in that thread where the dog chewed the user's gamepad there aren't any outright replies like this (telling the user to get a dog or new girlfriend), as far as I can tell. Given that it's a situation where a dog destroyed a tablet controller versus one where a cat just sits on a console, I'm not sure what that says about people who passionately hate cats.

Anyway, some sort of citrus spray would probably help. Otherwise, you could try this automated air spraying thing from amazon. I've never used the latter myself, but I've read that it's good in keeping cats off counters and other areas.

no angel

I don't care what anyone says, you can't train cats. Ours will do as they're told for a while, lull us into a false sense of security then explode into a session of naughtiness. Soft paws are good (although inevitably end up getting chewed off) but all you can really do is roll with it. They can be irritatung little buggers but totally worth it, I have a beanbag I sit on when I game and if I do much as lean forward for something one of them immediately sits down behind me and claims it as his own.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Pretty sure you could program an arduino to shoot a spray bottle at them when they come near your entertainment stand.

Lamptramp

Cats are annoying as hell when they do this kind of thing, more-so if you're allergic to the little bags of histamines.

Man I want a cat again :(

OP some kind of citrus spray could help keep them away as others have said, if the area smells citrussy (rather than spraying right onto the poor thing. I've never had much luck "training" cats to do anythign they dont want to do anyway :)
Our old cat loved being high up to lord it over the room in one of these Ikea shelf things, maybe having somewhere higher than the Xbox would give her somewhere else to hang out that didn't smell so much of orange.

yeah, fuck cats.

god, those guys are useless, sometimes!

they barely go for my PS4 though, they just chill and watch / sleep when i play.

they do teach you proper cord and cable management. If you hide the clutter there's nothing for them to play around with.

cats are great.

Those cats are adorable :D

I have 4 cats and many electronics they seen to respect everything but my 1440p monitor by knocking it down and breaking the stands on my Ducky Keyboard (still upset to this day about that). Give them a slap spray and vinegar.

They also liked to turn off the ps3 by pressing the power button but we don't play on it much anymore so its not a problem.

2 cats i hate the bastards, got 2 huskies who are terrified of the cats.. puffs.

My dogs run off when the cats enter the room.. seriously my dogs are massive.

no angel

Does anyone else's cats go for the tv when you're playing specific games? mine are entranced by destiny and would always try to catch the flies that buzz around the orcs in the pause screen for shadow of mordor.

Shengar

Holy shit, you cat is fucking huge he make Xbox One looks normal sized.
flip your xbone vertical
lol don't challenge the cat
It is interesting to note though, in that thread where the dog chewed the user's gamepad there aren't any outright replies like this (telling the user to get a dog or new girlfriend), as far as I can tell. Given that it's a situation where a dog destroyed a tablet controller versus one where a cat just sits on a console, I'm not sure what that says about people who passionately hate cats.

That because cats choose you, not the other way around

cats are great.

So far, there 2-3 confirmation that cats don't sit on PS4.
Someone in the marketing team should make something out of this

elhav

First post cracked me up

But yeah, either try pissing around the area of tge console, or give the cat a nice box somewhere near

Top Bottom