• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How powerful was the GameCube compared to the PS2 and XBOX ?

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Although its not unfair to rank the machines XBox, GC, PS2, PS2 could more than hold its own thanks to the insane fillrate on the GS supported by the vector units.

The reality was that keeping the GS busy was the problem, not what it could spit out.

Essentially it depends of you're judging image quality or scene complexity. If you're talking about brute-force overdraw, ZOE2 is frankly ridiculous, and titles like God Of War II show quite how capable the PS2 hardware was when used optimally.

So was there ever a Xbox game that was better looking that Rebel Strike/Rogue Squadron in the same genre?

I'd say Panzer Dragoon Orta comes close but there really weren't a lot of games in the same genre. Which is the better looking up for debate and I don't know if it's crunching as many polygons, but it's still incredibly impressive at 60FPS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNEUjQ6EYPI

Sadly none of those can kill rouge squadron which I and others have pointed out in various debates. I hate when I see conker put up the games levels were so small anyone can make a great looking game with how rare set that up. Also the discussion is about GC not Wii which had worse developer support despite essentially being a beefed up GC. Can't really exceed an xbox game especially CT which had major ubisoft support when same said company won't use a team of that quality to build a Wii/GC game.

I gotta disagree about Conker. Small levels or not, it's a beast in the graphics area and has some of the best looking textures, lighting, and environments. Like Chaos Theory, it could easily pass off as an early 360 game minus a few flat parts. Chaos Theory on the GC got the shaft a bit. They had a separate team working on the Xbox, while another were working on "3D textures" on the PS2. I don't know where the GC fit in there.

VALKYRAY

Banned
GC was capable of doing 480p but nintendo does not allow you to do it by limiting the supply of component cable. so for the vast majority, the max resolution you could get out of a GC was 480i, which is way inferior than 1080i PS2 could offer.
GC's disc size was also the lamest of the trio, in order to fit on that piece of joke disc, a lot of games were water downed significantly compared to their siblins over on PS2 and Xbox. EX: splinter cell series, NFS series

XBOX = PS2 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> GC

Sapiens

Does it make sense if I say I was always most impressed with the PS2?

GC and XBOX outclassed it, but PS2 was two years older (roughly) and seeing it do comparable stuff was always a treat.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Does it make sense if I say I was always most impressed with the PS2?

GC and XBOX outclassed it, but PS2 was two years older (roughly) and seeing it do comparable stuff was always a treat.

I felt the same way about the Dreamcast in retrospect, and then later the Wii.

there's something magical about seeing the slow kid in class do good on tests every now and then

VALKYRAY

Banned
I felt the same way about the Dreamcast in retrospect, and then later the Wii.

there's something magical about seeing the slow kid in class do good on tests every now and then

the wii came out later than both 360 and ps3, and yet its just a updated gamecube. i guess that's the newest slow kid in the class

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
the wii came out later than both 360 and ps3, and yet its just a updated gamecube. i guess that's the newest slow kid in the class

yea but even tho he was an just updated gamecube, this time he had a revolutionary* new blue shirt that allowed him to bring everyone together

jett

D-Member
When your main competition was Sega with 1.2 GB Custom Discs, and the bulk of PS2 games making use of CDs, the choice didn't look too bad. Sega dropping out and Microsoft coming in shook up the table though, making Nintendo go from mid road to bottom.

wat

the VAST majority of PS2 games came on DVD.

pax217

I just saw the first page of this... I never had any clue that the GC was as, or anymore powerful than the PS2. Wow.

sfried

Nonsense. CD's were only really used in the PS2's first year, and not by everyone. The vast majority of PS2 games are on DVD.
Yeah, but it wasn't immediate. There were still CD games out in its second year.

Oh, and nobody seems to have asked this, but was GC ever capable or reading multi-layered game disks? Was there ever such a thing? Wii pretty much already has not-DVD-9*
starting with Brawl, but I couldn't understand why GC can't have multi-layer mini-DVDs.

*"not" because it technically doesn't conform to DVD consortium but is really a DVD-9 regardless.

ss_lemonade

Didn't newer gamecubes lack component cable support? We were able to purchase an older unit with all the ports intact very late into the game (xbox was all we had before) and even then, games like Resident Evil, Metroid Prime and Wind Waker still blew us away. And this was already after experiencing stuff like Chaos Theory, RSC, and Panzer Dragoon.

I'd say both the Gamecube's best looking games are easily on par with the Xbox's. Both were clearly ahead of the PS2

Yeah, but it wasn't immediate. There were still CD games out in its second year.

Oh, and nobody seems to have asked this, but was GC ever capable or reading multi-layered game disks? Was there ever such a thing? Wii pretty much already has not-DVD-9*
starting with Brawl, but I couldn't understand why GC can't have multi-layer mini-DVDs.

*"not" because it technically doesn't conform to DVD consortium but is really a DVD-9 regardless.
Not sure, but it could read normal sized DVDs just fine if you ripped it out of the case to fit the disc

salpa

Banned
Technical specs aside, based on what I SAW:

It always seemed to me that the GCN was on par, or very close to the Xbox. What impressed me the most was Rebel Strike. Game was gorgeous. Used shaders that make some of today's games look bad. Not to mention, the background planets during certain missions were actually fully rendered, not just big blown up images.

That game blew me away. My buddy worked at Factor 5. They were an impressive lot.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
sfried said:
but was GC ever capable or reading multi-layered game disks?
The Panasonic-branded one was :p

CD games were never very common though - even during launch most games shipped on DVDs already. It was a cost-cutting measure for low-budget projects (but DVD pricing bottomed up fast enough for it to no longer be relevant by 2nd year).

tinfoilhatman

all of my posts are my avatar
You people are nuts, outside of a few notable exception the Xbox crushed the PS2\NGC if you had an widescreen HDTV.

99% of Xbox games supported 480p and Xbox had BY FAR the most widescreen support of any of the 3 not to mention actual T@L units and a modern(at the time) GPU

Top Bottom