• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How to brick an Xbone in six easy steps.

I don't get it. Weren't people excited and "impressed" by this a couple of months ago, when they said every retail console can be a dev kit?

Yeah, but maybe after registering and being unlocked from MS or something.
This thing is accessible to everyone with a few simple button presses.

Alvarez

Banned
How would anyone know something like this? I wonder if a developer or someone at MS put this out there. Seems crazy anyone would run into that by accident.

QA testers and programmers are all severely underpaid and overworked, and they are let go (fired) constantly. It's no surprise that this got out.

Kodros

iOS7 making your phone waterproof was one of the funniest 4chan pranks.

H3Cuok1.png

There's even a Vine video of some dude doing it.

https://vine.co/v/hrzranUHr3M

stang6604

c'mon people it was a feature MS was bragging about. its just not ready to be used yet. MS has released a statement saying not to use it

It seems people will do anything they read on 4chan or see on YouTube, no questions asked. Even when warned against it by the manufacturer.

LDAF

Do consoles normally have such easy ways to access devkit tools?

The Wii U did when it launched... :3 Trike became the Master of the Miiverse on Day 1, and Nintendo didn't like him having such a godly amount of power.

RedAssedApe

Banned
This is like how people used to tell you to press ALT+F4 and people would press it and get booted from chatrooms and games. lol

People are actually trying this? smh

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Over/Under on how many threads created on GAF due to this

I say 7

What about you?

"Halp GAF my Xbone keeps rebooting!"

Vaiim

Considering how many people don't realise the Xbone doesn't come with backwards compat when they buy it. Added to the fact people are selling their old console to afford that £430 (-.-) pricetag. Multiplied by stupidity. Equals horrible joke :(

Fix it Microsoft, you shouldn't be able to destroy your console doing something that innocuous and simple.

Phades

Oh man, I can see it now. Bricked consoles, bricked consoles everywhere. Then Microsoft pulls a 180 and patches out the dev kit feature (wouldn't be different than sony and other OS really). It does make me wonder if this voids the warranty on the console.

So, if this is step 1 of a greater evil plan. What is step 2 and how many more steps until they profit?

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
If it's too good to be true...

OH MY FUCKING GOD @ that vine link posted

#DEAD

#DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD

Robot Pants

Oh man, I can see it now. Bricked consoles, bricked consoles everywhere. Then Microsoft pulls a 180 and patches out the dev kit feature (wouldn't be different than sony and other OS really). It does make me wonder if this voids the warranty on the console.

So, if this is step 1 of a greater evil plan. What is step 2 and how many more steps until they profit?
2 more steps.

zpiders

The stupidity of some people can not be underestimated, I can see people bricking the X1's with this. How MS could allow this to happen is a joke, they should patch it up ASAP.

Gaz_RB

The picture in the OP was a little small at first, but the Alt-F4 trick worked like a charm.

I remember a common scam when I used to play Runescape back when I was younger. People would lead a group to a deserted area claiming they were going to show them how to quickly boost their level with a cheat.

They told people to drop everything in their inventory and hit alt+F4. People fell for it and lost all their stuff...There are a lot of stupid kids on the internet.

That's how I learned what alt-F4 did :(

angrygnat

Why would someone intentionally hurt someone like this? I understand someone hurting another if it benefits them. I don't advocate that, but I can understand it. This doesn't do anything but hurt with no benefit to anyone. Some kind of sociopath does this shit. May the fleas of 1000 camels infest their nutsack.

Gaz_RB

Why would someone intentionally hurt someone like this? I understand someone hurting another if it benefits them. I don't advocate that, but I can understand it. This doesn't do anything but hurt with no benefit to anyone. Some kind of sociopath does this shit. May the fleas of 1000 camels infest their nutsack.

you've got a lot to learn about people on the internet

Top Bottom