• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How well can you draw a Pokemon by memory? Let's find out!

Spyware

Couldn't let this go so I had to try one more. Pretty close!
Mine has... very creepy eyes tho.

6lsSJar.png

250px-535Tympole.png

Wow, yours turned out way better than mine. Great job!
Aww, I liked yours :) It looks like it was hit by lightning :D

I'm going to pass for this one. Back in 2012, one of my friends challenged me and someone else to draw all 151 original Pokémon from memory within 48 hours, without even looking at the names of which ones there were. She claimed she could easily do it (which was true enough), but the whole ordeal was pretty exhausting for every participant. Drawing 151 of anything with a reference within a single weekend would have been hard enough, but this was just embarrassing. I was told that it was easier if I knew the Pokérap, but that didn't help me much.

Anyway here was my result. I missed about 20 of them, and some have entirely made up designs because I didn't know any better.

Dad

I'm going to pass for this one. Back in 2012, one of my friends challenged me and someone else to draw all 151 original Pokémon from memory within 48 hours, without even looking at the names of which ones there were. She claimed she could easily do it (which was true enough), but the whole ordeal was pretty exhausting for every participant. Drawing 151 of anything with a reference within a single weekend would have been hard enough, but this was just embarrassing. I was told that it was easier if I knew the Pokérap, but that didn't help me much.

Anyway here was my result. I missed about 20 of them, and some have entirely made up designs because I didn't know any better.

Your Seel and Dewgong are killing me

Blissey....

NTCtWA3.png

Original:

240px-242Blissey.png

Wow... Looks like Azumarill on a Blissey cosplay. I still play ORAS to this day, my memory on details really sux aha.

yo.

I really dig your style. just saying.

That marowak is fucking slaying me.

This was actually a lot of fun. I got Dragonite, who used to be one of my favorites. Haha, turns out that I still forgot he doesn't have fingers or teeth. And only one horn.

LnXFBWZ.jpg

250px-149Dragonite.png

EDIT: Holy shit, I'm only just now realizing my guy is waving just like the art. Haha, I promise I didn't look!

Your Seel and Dewgong are killing me
Dewgong came near the end of the 48 hours, and frustration was building up. I knew it existed, but I had no clue what made it different from Seel. When in doubt, make it bigger and add angry eyebrows. I did that a few more times as temporary place holders for Electrode, Muk, Dragonaire and Nidorina too, but I ended up redrawing them.

yo.

I really dig your style. just saying.

That marowak is fucking slaying me.
Marowak being missing isn't negligence or a depressing slice of in-game lore irony. You just need to see the Silph Scope to see it.

This is a great idea! Great for warmups before work. Here's a machamp and marill. Machamp I drew all the time as a kid, marill... Is sorta like pikachu?
Impressive work. Your Marill looks a bit like a Dedenne, but I suppose that is hard to avoid. There are too many rodent ones that there's bound to be some overlap once you lose your reference to get the minutia right. I bet it would happen easily with the tiny bird Pokémon as well.

also

Banned

These are great. Do you have the drawings from the other two participants too? Are they okay with you posting them?
Would you mind if I used Psyduck as my avatar?

These are great. Do you have the drawings from the other two participants too? Are they okay with you posting them?
Would you mind if I used Psyduck as my avatar?
They are cleared for public viewing, since they were posted to a blog. here's one and here's the other. Visual memory can be pretty impressive in some folk, regardless of drawing skill.

Knock yourself out on the psyduck.

TheOGB

Banned
Kecleon
Spr_3r_352.png

My drawing:

Swoobat
hn43IkV.png

My drawing:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I feel like I'm pretty good at remembering Pokemon (unless they're from Kalos). Color patterns aside, I was pretty damn close; I only missed Kecleon's back spike thing, and fudged up a few of Swoobat's details. Also added its nonexistant hands, and gave up on one of them :V.
I think I was thinking of Aerodactyl with the wings. (double checked, I was indeed thinking Aerodactyl) Also I'm not good at drawing wings.

Mista Koo

Castform:
fKgnar3.png
CWKx1Ss.png

I wasn't sure about the bandit mask colors. Besides that it was easy, a ball with boobs and a hair tuft.

Dewott:
1WzXpqX.png
rlZknKe.png

Once I drew the legs I realized I had no idea what I was doing (even though I love Oshawott). I almost gave it a blue bow behind its ears because I remember something dark colored being there!

I skipped a bug Pokemon that I don't recognize by name. I should try doing it without a mouse later.

This was actually a lot of fun. I got Dragonite, who used to be one of my favorites. Haha, turns out that I still forgot he doesn't have fingers or teeth. And only one horn.
I've never noticed the horn!

Got Ludicolo

XxzNU0H.png

Close enough.
I love this so much.

This is great, I want your version of Wartortle and Graveler.
That Primeape will probably be the basis for a future mega evo.

I feel like I'm pretty good at remembering Pokemon (unless they're from Kalos). Color patterns aside, I was pretty damn close; I only missed Kecleon's back spike thing, and fudged up a few of Swoobat's details. Also added its nonexistant hands, and gave up on one of them :V.
I think I was thinking of Aerodactyl with the wings. (double checked, I was indeed thinking Aerodactyl) Also I'm not good at drawing wings.
You almost nailed the Kecleon pattern, that is good memory.

I am going to do it with all of them and if I get a Pokeman I have never heard of, I'm going to draw it anyway and then see how I compare.

Bis4zyr.png

Here, I think that's a fairly decent attempt considering I've never heard of it before

530.png

I've got the protective headgear, the claws/drills, the upright stance. 10/10 for me.

Top Bottom