• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How would you have written the ending for The Last of Us?

It was all part of a PSA video being projected into a train. Joel and Ellie are millionaires! Their acting career took off!

But hark! Resentment grows in the bowels of the megastars. They are in a limo together. Staring daggers across the way. The flash of the camera cannot hide the knitted brows!

They both have 9mm pistols in the secret pocket that was sewn in the designer dresswear made just for them! Gianni Versace slow-mo-stare down!

"You know, sweetheart. We really are the last of our kind."

sweenster

If I had to change it, it would end up where Joel is unable to stop
the procedure
, then kills himself because he has nothing left to live for

Amazing ending. I thought twd season 1 ending ruined their lunch but boy nd had an amazing plan to back it up. What an ending so powerful, so touching.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
I hated the ending only because it should have been ELLIE to make the choice whether she wanted to sacrifice herself or not. The entire came re enforces how mature she is for her age and how smart she is. She spends so much time covincing others of her intelligence and how much she truly understands what's happening with humanity.

Not letting her make the choice because "hurr yur mah new daughter" is stupid.

Ellie wakes up. She's in the middle of a waterslide! Yet there's no end.

When did she go down the chute? Were they on vacation? Did they get season passes? She cannot remember.

MEANWHILE a maniacal Joel haughtily cranks the levers in the pump station! A gigantic grin on his face! He'll keep her sliding down that tube forever....Or will he?

"You know, park patron. You really are the last of the ticket holders."

Tigress

I hated the ending only because it should have been ELLIE to make the choice whether she wanted to sacrifice herself or not. The entire came re enforces how mature she is for her age and how smart she is. She spends so much time covincing others of her intelligence and how much she truly understands what's happening with humanity.

I agree that they should have let her make the choice herself.

I don't agree that is necessarily how the ending should have ended. I think it made more a statement that no one on either side was willing to actually give her that choice. I mean you have these two sides who both think they are the good guys and are making the good choice (ok one side is more honest with himself than the other, I don't think Joel thought he truly was looking out just for Ellie). They're arguing over which one is right. And because of each's selfishness none actually think that maybe the person whose life is in question should be asked herself what she wants done. And the whole game is about how hopeless people are in that situation. You don't have to agree with what the characters choose to do for it to be a good and appropriate ending for the story. Sometimes part of the point is you don't agree with them ;).

Fezan

Ellie and Joel are driving away from the hospital. He has saved her, and murdered the fireflies.

In the rearview mirror, Joel sees a car approaching. He lightly hits the gas pedal, trying to put a little distance between him and the car that follows. The car keeps gaining on him, it pulls up beside him.

Joel looks out the window and sees the last person he wants to see right now.

It is Vin Diesel. A relic from Joel's dark drift racing past.

Vin gives Joel a look that only says one thing. This challenge is on baby.
giphy.gif

Joel knows what he must do, Ellie has never seen him like this. The blood of a racer courses through his veins.

"I know you can do this Joel. The blood of a racer courses through your veins."

With Ellie's encouragement, Joel slams on the gas. He races Vin Diesel. Joel is faster than Vin Diesel. In fact, he is better than Vin Diesel in lots of ways.

He wins the race.

Ellie and Joel embrace, victorious. He holds her close, and whispers in her ear.

"You know, Elllie, we really are 2 fast 2 furious."

They cry.

I am in tears. So good this post is not getting enough love

Catdaddy

Ellie and Joel are driving away from the hospital. He has saved her, and murdered the fireflies.

In the rearview mirror, Joel sees a car approaching. He lightly hits the gas pedal, trying to put a little distance between him and the car that follows. The car keeps gaining on him, it pulls up beside him.

giphy.gif

Joel knows what he must do, Ellie has never seen him like this. The blood of a racer courses through his veins.

With Ellie's encouragement, Joel slams on the gas. He races Vin Diesel. Joel is faster than Vin Diesel. In fact, he is better than Vin Diesel in lots of ways.

He wins the race.

Ellie and Joel embrace, victorious. He holds her close, and whispers in her ear.

They cry.

Incredible...lol Waiting for VinDLC pack...

I'm perfectly happy with the ending as it is.

With how humanity has gone to shit, I wouldn't have liked an ending where Ellie was sacrificed in the name of finding the cure. Is it really worth saving Hunters when they kill people with hopes of getting a new pair of shoes? Or the cannibals? Or the military which starves citizens to the point that they become Hunters? Not if you ask me.

Joel sacrifices his life for Ellie by injecting himself with some medicine bullshit that can cure the disease. This gives birth to Joel's Nobody... Xojel.. Ellie promises to bring Joel back by using her Keyblade. Ellie then embarks on a journey to kill heartless and create the People's Kingdom Hearts to bring Joel back. Meanwhile, Xojel joins Organization Clicker in search for his true purpose.
The Last of Us: 358/2 Days: Memories of Distance Sleep

Now, from a sociological perspective, if I play out a scenario where Ellie had died and a cure was developed that'd give the Fireflies massive political power in the three headed power structure that includes them, the military, and the hunters. They would effectively decide who lives and dies. There is nothing indicating that the Fireflies would forgive and forget. They could extract all manner of concessions or simply let people they don't like die if they couldn't mass produce a cure. Worse yet, it could touch of a war for the cure itself.
That would allow for one Hell of a sequel, I think.

Joel turns the corner. He needs to get this paper in on time! He needs an A or all will be for naught!

But hark! The corridor is full of clones of Ellie, also desperate to hand in their term paper, and also discussing the ramifications of an un-peer-reviewed article!

There's five minutes left in the semester, and Joel's bladder is full.

"You know, dystopian university clone-self, we really are the last of us...."

Foshy

giphy.gif

He wins the race.

They cry.

i am fucking dead

this post is beautiful i love you

I just beat the game for a second time last night and agree with everyone saying it's perfect as is.

The ridiculous, melodramatic suggestions in the OP would have been a huge disappointment.

It's interesting how subtly changing the ending made it so great. I think a lot of people know that initially you controlled Joel in the final moments. Controlling Ellie gives that a scene a totally different tone. The ending they ended up with was a lot more interesting than the alternate one where everything wraps up in the surgery room instead of the parking garage, even though the dialogue is exactly the same between the two.

NEO0MJ

Maybe they could have made it less cliche and predictable? I mean, who would have expected Joel to let her go?

giphy.gif

He wins the race.

They cry.

This post is just killer XD

Elandyll

Banned
I would have gone super happy ending (Ellie still alive and kicking, but they miraculously find the cure anyway, or at the very least how to prevent new infections), and...

The game would have been worse for it.

Choomp

Banned
I wouldn't. It's not my story to tell.

Meh. Older guy/younger girl go on some sort of journey form some sort of bond blah blah learn to kill stuff seems like it's everyone's story to tell nowadays
I was waiting for them to run into Daniel Day Lewis or some shit
"You know Ellie, we really are the Last of the Mohicans"

ELLIE.EXE and JOEL.EXE were two separate programs before. Now that the simulation has ended, they have merged! The servers never encountered this before! Could the A.I. be gaining sentience?

But hark! Is that LOVE.DLL that I spy? Or is that the new russian trojan program that was threatened months ago?

YOU KNOW....

F5yKkov.png

giphy.gif

He wins the race.

They cry.

Put this in the OP! God dam! I died.

Update: This is the definitive ending. Even Neil Druckman agrees.

The ending should have been way darker,

Joel ends up killing most of the fireflys getting to the operating room.

Ellie talks to him and tells him she wants to go through with it.

The doctors go ahead with the procedure but the cure they make doesnt work.

Joel kills himself.

Joel breaks into the room where the doctors are about to perform surgery on Ellie. The screen fades to black as Joel dives toward the nearest doctor, leaving the player hearing only the sounds of a struggle and muffled screaming.

The screen then fades in, but the player is now viewing the world through Ellie's eyes. She looks around and sees signs of a struggle all around her, and hears shouting coming from the next room. She stands up and shuffles on weak legs to the nearest window. In the next room, she can see Joel and the doctor gritting their teeth and scowling at one another. Both men are naked, save for the black leather vest Joel is wearing that clings to his glistening skin. In his mouth is a ball gag. The two combatants are sword fighting with their cocks, while the other doctors stand in a broken circle around them, cheering, jeering, and placing bets on which of the two men will "finish" first.

Ellie bangs on the window, desperate to wake Joel up from the drugging he's obviously been a victim of. The room grows quiet and Joel turns his head. With rapidly softening boner in hand, he wipes the sweat dripping from his brow, pulls down the ball gag, and says, "What's the matter, breeder? Never been to a cock fight?" The doctor laughs and twirls the giant fake mustache Ellie just then notices clinging crookedly to his upper lip.

She shrugs, walks into the hallway and then through the door to join Joel and the gang in their shenanigans. She puts five bucks on the doctor to finish first. She loses.

Roll credits.

In the sequel, Joel is pregnant. The spores make all things possible.

Edit: Before anyone points out how absurd/stupid this is, so is the idea of changing the ending to TLoU.

I wouldn't have changed a damn thing.

Perfection.

EDIT: On second thought...

Joel breaks into the room where the doctors are about to perform surgery on Ellie. The screen fades to black as Joel dives toward the nearest doctor, leaving the player hearing only the sounds of a struggle and muffled screaming.

The screen then fades in, but the player is now viewing the world through Ellie's eyes. She looks around and sees signs of a struggle all around her, and hears shouting coming from the next room. She stands up and shuffles on weak legs to the nearest window. In the next room, she can see Joel and the doctor gritting their teeth and scowling at one another. Both men are naked, save for the black leather vest Joel is wearing that clings to his glistening skin. In his mouth is a ball gag. The two combatants are sword fighting with their cocks, while the other doctors stand in a broken circle around them, cheering, jeering, and placing bets on which of the two men will "finish" first.

Ellie bangs on the window, desperate to wake Joel up from the drugging he's obviously been a victim of. The room grows quiet and Joel turns his head. With rapidly softening boner in hand, he wipes the sweat dripping from his brow, pulls down the ball gag, and says, "What's the matter, breeder? Never been to a cock fight?" The doctor laughs and twirls the giant fake mustache Ellie just then notices clinging crookedly to his upper lip.

She shrugs, walks into the hallway and then through the door to join Joel and the gang in their shenanigans. She puts five bucks on the doctor to finish first. She loses.

Roll credits.

In the sequel, Joel is pregnant. The spores make all things possible.

Those of you asking for the option to kill the doctors missed the entire point of why they *don't* give you the option. Joel's turn as a character was set in stone- one that was willing to do anything, including murder innocents in order to protect what he needs to survive. Letting the surgeon live would contradict the final turn in Joel's character. No other life mattered but his own. And in order to keep living, he had to protect Ellie at any cost.

50 years later.....

It's medieval times! Sir Joel the Brave rides his flashy steed up to the castle in dramatic style.

But hark! A light in yon window! The gallant knight girds himself for derring-do! Yet there are spikes all around castle Lastovous! How shall this be triumphed over?

Hark again! In the sky! Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No!

It's Witch Ellie riding her broomstick! What's in her satchel? Shall Sir Joel ever get to the tower?

"Thou knowest, indeed, foul crone. We truly are the misbegotten members of this day."

spekkeh

Banned
If you're gonna go for an ending with the cure, you'd have to change the entire hospital sequence as it's meant to be a repeat of the worst day of Joel's life. Change the ending though and the beginning of the game, one of the most heart-breaking sequences I've ever played, becomes pointless. Joel as a character would become pointless.

I don't remember him mowing down scores of people in the worst day of his life. If they were really going for that, I think the ending would have been better if it more closely resembled that day, in tone and everything, so it feels more of a loop and Joel now doing 'the right thing', than basically Joel acting all homicidal maniac again. I guess that would be my answer.

The main problem I have with Tlou though is that it takes an incredibly cliche setting and does nothing new with it, so I would have thought of something novel or wouldn't have written the story in the first place.

edit: shit i went straight-faced into an epic bread, disregard this I suck

Squozen

"Wait, Joel, why aren't I in the hospital anymore?"

"I saved you from those doctors. They would have killed you."

"You're amazing, Joel."

They make out.

----END----

thats the other Hollywood ending that the OP might have liked

ghostjoke

Banned
Leave it as it is. Story is there to serve the character and their decisions (which come from their personalities and experiences), not the other way around, and in that regard Last of Us ends perfectly.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.

giphy.gif

He wins the race.

They cry.

2015-01-0322_27_00-twkwuud.png

giphy.gif

He wins the race.

They cry.

Perfect :')

giphy.gif

He wins the race.

They cry.

Erevador, you really are the best of us.

Personally, I would have liked to see Ellie become a sacrifice/sacrifice herself consciously for a cure. Maybe Joel makes it to the operating room and while he initially tries to stop the procedure, he eventually gets to talk to Ellie and finds out that Ellie herself wants to push through with the procedure to make a cure, that she wants to help mankind and not let the sacrifices of everyone that helped them along the way (especially Tess) be in vain.

Alternatively, maybe Joel gets bit in the process and Ellie's blood can help him by slowing down the infection but they'd have to go through with the procedure to produce an actual cure (which they do) and Joel wakes up all cured.

So instead of an ending with some balls that actually serves the characters and their development, you wanted cliche garbage to match a generic plot.

I wouldn't change the ending.

I didn't like the ending. I felt a disconection between what you go through, like it was all for nothing.

I would have give two endings, give or don't Ellie, it would have made it more personal for each player.

So instead of an ending with some balls that actually serves the characters and their development, you wanted cliche garbage to match a generic plot.

I wouldn't change the ending.

The plot is already cliche and generic, so it wouldn't matter. If the joyness of the story lies in the journey, then the players should be able to choose what suits it better.

I didn't like the ending. I felt a disconection between what you go through, like it was all for nothing.

I would have give two endings, give or don't Ellie, it would have made it more personal for each player.

The plot is already cliche and generic, so it wouldn't matter. If the joyness of the story lies in the journey, then the players should be able to choose what suits it better.

The story isn't about the plot. How can that possibly fly over your head? The plot is a set up.

I can see how you felt disconnected....

Tigress

I would have gone super happy ending (Ellie still alive and kicking, but they miraculously find the cure anyway, or at the very least how to prevent new infections), and...

The game would have been worse for it.

Yeah, that's pretty much what would happen if I had done the ending.

Well, maybe. I've been known to like doing super depressing endings. But I wouldn't have been creative enough in how it was depressing to do the ending that they did (which was perfect). I probably just would have had Ellie or Joel die or both. Or maybe as some one say Ellie or Joel or both die and it was in an attempt to make the cure and the cure didn't work.

Honestly, not only was the ending perfect, it was surprising in that they didn't follow the same old tropes (for good or bad endings).

jacobeid

Banned

giphy.gif

He wins the race.

They cry.

Give this man a tag. I laughed so hard.

Ridill

giphy.gif

He wins the race.

They cry.

ABSOLUTELY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For real though? Nothing, the ending itself was perfect (to me). It is what the game designers wanted, and I always rather let the dev team let their own creative juices do the work.

wowlace

Joel didn't take the choice away from her, the fireflies did. They never restored her consciousness after she almost drowned. They never told her that the only way that they can study her is to kill her.

Why not let her wake and have closure with Joel? The FF are naive cunts with one doctor who thinks he can create a cure with the rubbish facilities at their disposal.

Philippo

Yeah, i too found the ending a bit "weak" or "anti-climatic".

Mostly because even if Ellie's still obviously suspicious about Joel's story, she just goes "yeah whatever" and cuts to titles.

I liked how it left me uneasy about Joel's actions (i spent a couple of days thinking if he was wrong or right).

So what if they gave you the choice? To either leave Ellie with the Lights (he looks at a sleeping Ellie, says her farewell, then cuts to him on a horse in the wilderness) or to take her with you (same ending we got).

I think it would have made a much bigger impact.

edit: holy shit Erevador

Not that I have a problem with the way it is now, and in fact my way would undoubtedly be worse, but if I wrote it I'd probably have killed Ellie at the end. Or Joel. Or both.

Yeah I told you it would be worse.

tim1138

I would have ended it at the scene with the giraffes and left it completely ambiguous as to the final outcome and if Ellie could help create a cure

Top Bottom