• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive is $799, ships early April 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheCrow

As someone else said. I expect higher highs and lower lows from the giant bomb steam. Which makes sense since there's so much out there in launch.

Wallach

Oculus is probably feeling some pressure right now.

Makes me wonder if they will try to push the Touch release up.

We'll have to see a bit more of the overall reaction over the course of the next few weeks. I wonder if we will get any sales information regarding first month units or anything out of either camp. The opening game here may be slow enough that they feel comfortable with the time frame of Touch still.

taoofjord

If this becomes the trend in all the reviews, definitely.

One of the worst things that could happen for oculus is that Giant Bomb tries the vive on their livestream and goes apeshit over it.

I doubt that will happen. They want deep games and while I think the Vive launch games will be great fun they're still pretty simple and content light. I hope there aren't a lot of people waiting for GB to be the ones to convince them. They're pretty consistent with what they like and I think the Vive stream will be similar to the Rift only slightly more positive. They'll enjoy the tech but will be asking when we'll see something more than proof of concept experiences (which is totally fair). For them, I believe the magic of VR has worn off so while they really enjoy the tech they want more. Basically like many of us in 2-4 months.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
well part of their complaints was that so many of the Oculus launch titles were just normal games with VR cameras. I think the nature of some of the Vive's launch titles will separate them from conventional games that they might be a bit more interesting.

But yeah, giantbomb tends to be harshly jaded.

I just hope they take a little extra time to set things up.

"There's these headphones in the way"
"They're removable"
"NO TIME during this 11 hour stream!"

Maybe they were afraid of breaking it after they found out, screwing up the stream, but it was clearly an annoyance to them.

One of the best suggestions I've seen about Vive is to throw down a mat or carpet, and make that your "VR area". Something you can physically feel, and know you're getting to your planned edge, even when you tune out Lighthouse. That would probably help them out a lot.

I doubt that will happen. They want deep games and while I think the Vive launch games will be great fun they're still pretty simple and content light. I hope there aren't a lot of people waiting for GB to be the ones to convince them. They're pretty consistent with what they like and I dpthink the Vive stream will be similar to the Rift only slightly more positive.

I don't think it's a matter of agreeing with them on everything and being convinced in that sense. I'm interested in seeing it put to use by them. I'm not that interested in any launch games between this and Oculus except Elite, so any criticisms against those doesn't really matter to me. I'm interested in getting one for the possibilities in the future and hopefully Arma 3 running on one.

taoofjord

I don't think it's a matter of agreeing with them on everything and being convinced in that sense. I'm interested in seeing it put to use by them. I'm not that interested in any launch games between this and Oculus except Elite, so any criticisms against those doesn't really matter to me. I'm interested in getting one for the possibilities in the future and hopefully Arma 3 running on one.

Ah, yeah. I'm sure we'll see more hardcore sims like those two down the road. I hope we see them soon but more than likely it will take a couple years. I think it's important to remember that games of Elite Dangerous or Arma 3's quality built for the ground up for VR are a LONG way away. The market is too small and there's too many unknowns design-wise to make and release something of that scale. PSVR will likely be getting those types of bigger games first but they will obviously skew towards an arcade-y experience instead of being a sim.

Wallach

Honestly - if it is more about the future for you rather than anything available right now, why not wait until then? You'll have much better information in hand. These things aren't going anywhere, and I don't see either of them being sold out perpetually through the year (though you'll probably want to make a decision before the Black Friday shopping season).

bj00rn_

Banned

Speaking of sims; I saw that DCS World is getting Vive support (yay!), AND with Vive controllers support. My A-10C model and my X52P can't wait.

..WhereTF is my Vive..

Zalusithix

"Oculus Touch launches in June 2016*

*First units ship to customers in November 2016"

Haha, yeah, I was going to make a similar comment. Given the troubles they've had shipping the headsets, I really don't think they should launch the Touch until it's both finished and ready to ship in warehouses around the world. The last thing they need is another lengthy preorder/ship delay debacle.

Thank you for your HTCVIVE.com order – We will start shipping May 2016.

Turns out my resistance was futile. I have about a 8' x 15' area behind my sofa in my great room that I'll be using for room scale. Hopefully its big enough. I can move the sofa a bit to go from 8' to 10' or so though.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Seems to be some shipping activity in Europe according to Reddit. Mostly Paypal orders, so I still have a bit of hope left in me.

EDIT: I just got my shipping notice! So happy right now. I'm an old child.

libertytoast

Neo Member
What worries me for these games is, since the Steam page shows both room scale and standing for the space needed, how does the experience change from one to another?

They alse really need to put the room space needed in the Store page for these games :(

With regards to The Gallery, the devs have a teleport solution for movement, so you could walk around in game, or do everything while standing still. Budget Cuts and the new Minecrift mod for the Vive both offer the same thing.

I don't think one detracts from the other, since you can walk around as much as you want if you have the space. I think one of the guys from Valve said every game in The Lab also works as a seated experience, so if Valve's going that route, they must believe it doesn't hurt the experience to offer it both ways.

Rob85Fr

Neo Member
Oculus is probably feeling some pressure right now.

This make me think, is there any concrete comparisons available between Rift and Vive speaking about the screen quality ? I searched a little bit these days, but nothing concrete. I only heard some months ago that the Rift would be a little bit better on this point, without seeing any deep comparisons.
This is personally the only element that bothers me. I tried DK1, DK2, Gear VR, and all these VR systems have a true screendoor problem for me (I don't know if it's really the word to use, but you know, the fact to clearly see pixels (and a true blur problem on the edges)).

I think these two companies should really do some "test tour" around the world. I heard something like this was in companies mind, but I saw nothing for now.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Destructoïd review said:
The ability to see your keyboard and mouse via camera feed without taking my headset off, as well as the absense of Oculus weird nose gap, for me made the Vive a considerably better VR platform of choice for seated play.
I was thinking about it yesterday. With the camera I will be able to use my keyboard. All I need is the abilty to locate one letter and position my fingers. Muscles memory will do the rest and I can switch back to VR. I hope there will be a shortcut on the keyboard to alternate between VR and Tron views.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
can't wait.

I'd wait for more if you're on the fence. I'm sure there will be a dozen more for your consideration in the next 24 hours. :D
Yeah, I'd be waiting until the end of the week to order, anyway. I'll definitely still read reviews and impressions this week, but I'm leaning heavily towards cancelling my Rift order.

T.O.P

Banned
With regards to The Gallery, the devs have a teleport solution for movement, so you could walk around in game, or do everything while standing still. Budget Cuts and the new Minecrift mod for the Vive both offer the same thing.

I don't think one detracts from the other, since you can walk around as much as you want if you have the space. I think one of the guys from Valve said every game in The Lab also works as a seated experience.

Good stuff, it pisses me off that i'm limited with the space available for now :(

Also, had no idea that the two base stations required each a power outlet, was expecting them to be rechargable or something, this is will be a big ass bitch to setup in my room as i don't really have another 2 free power outlets for those...goddamnit

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Until now I couldn't concentrate on my work because I was anxious about not receiving a shipping mail. Now that I know it's on the way, how can I even work?

Bigby

ss_1a8bcb4453089596f38a208aa8c28d975965fe92.1920x1080.jpg

Zalusithix

Oh wow, even my chandelier might be in the way of the 2 base stations, jesus christ

Maybe, though likely not - at least if we're talking about the sync. Most chandeliers have a small cross section at the top. The base station's sync pulse is omnidirectional from an array of LEDs. It'd be hard for the chandelier to block that completely. What it could do is create oddly shaped zones to either side of it that are partially occluded to one tracker.

pj

Banned
This make me think, is there any concrete comparisons available between Rift and Vive speaking about the screen quality ? I searched a little bit these days, but nothing concrete. I only heard some months ago that the Rift would be a little bit better on this point, without seeing any deep comparisons.
This is personally the only element that bothers me. I tried DK1, DK2, Gear VR, and all these VR systems have a true screendoor problem for me (I don't know if it's really the word to use, but you know, the fact to clearly see pixels (and a true blur problem on the edges)).

I think these two companies should really do some "test tour" around the world. I heard something like this was in companies mind, but I saw nothing for now.

Maybe that's something they will worry about when they aren't both sold out for months.

HTC at least is doing some of that as I was able to try vive at the MS store in manhattan.

T.O.P

Banned
Set up one of them at medium height? That should solve the chandelier problem.

Can they be at different heights? That might work

I'll post a picture of my room later, i don't care if i'll be limited to standing only because i was ready for that, but some temporary fix until my "future" move would be much apprecciated

The worry for me is spending so much on something and then for an unforseen problem to arise during installation in the room.

yup :|

Jordan117

Also, watching footage of Fantastic Contraption kindled this brilliant idea: a VR version of the Spore Creature Creator. Spore the game was kind of meh, but the Creature Creator was distilled brilliance.

Imagine being able to squash, stretch, sculpt, and paint a life-sized 3D alien and then trot it around your room, or do the same thing with millions of other user creations... it would be AMAZING.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom