• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive is $799, ships early April 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alx

That's actually quite competitive compared to Oculus, I expected a bigger gap. *edit - oh wait maybe not, I thought the gap was $100 but it's actually $200.
Also "job simulator" isn't really the best game to pack in. I suppose the game is good, but it's not the kind of title that will make people dream of VR. Might actually be a better way to have people snicker at the device.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
announce in Spain - no Europe pricing?

I think that isn't a bad price. Oculus touch will probably be around $100 because its two controllers plus an extra camera. So a total setup is around $699 for the OR with motion controllers.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I wonder what the UK pricing will be. Yikes.

Whopping. It has controllers bundled though. Early adopter yadda-yadda. Gonna get a lot cheaper with future revisions. Important thing is to make a very good first impression. Half-assing a new tech would be much more detrimental to VR catching on than initial high prices.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
No thanks.

( I'll buy the gen 3-4 version for third the price and double the features a couple of years down the line.

PSVR will have to do until then.

except you won't.

In a year or two you can probably choose - lower price for the same tech, or the same price for better tech. I don't think you'll have both. Not that quickly

I'm happy to be in at the start just to enjoy the ride, but I think the baseline will fairly quickly rise. If HBM and 14nm GPUs really start to jump up in performance, combined with foveated rendering and 4k (or higher) screens - I think that'll be a really good option in 2-3 years.

MUnited83

For you.
I'm astonished there are people here that are actually surprised at this lol
Maybe that guy was right when he made that thread stating all VR was dead on arrival.

Save us PSVR, you are our only hope for affordable, good quality VR this decade.

OSVR is a PC headset that costs 300$ and has similar specs to PSVR.

Hyun Sai

RG0BS1U.gif

PSVR will find a way.

Bl@de

I expected more. It's enthusiast hardware after all. Mainstream VR is still a couple of years away. I'm interested to see what the first year of VR brings, even if I'm not buying any of them now.

specdot

That's actually quite competitive compared to Oculus, I expected a bigger gap.
Also "job simulator" isn't really the best game to pack in. I suppose the game is good, but it's not the kind of title that will make people dream of VR. Might actually be a better way to have people snicker at the device.
Lol didn't you know?
Packing it with Job Simulator is brilliant, since you're going to need all the job you can have to afford this.
Savage! Lmao.

I fully expected them going for $1000 after what they've been saying (premium device, best in class components).
This seems reasonable for the extra hardware you're getting. Euro pricing is going to be interesting though, lets hope it's not a mess like it was with the Rift.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
I'm sure it will be a great 'high-end' experience, but the price is just too much unfortunately. Waiting to see Sony's price. If it's above $500 as well then I'm out.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
The UK pricing works out to be £666. The price of the beast.

pelican

I expected more. It's enthusiast hardware after all. Mainstream VR is still a couple of years away. I'm interested to see what the first year of VR brings, even if I'm not buying any of them now.

It is going to be interesting.

I suspect a year of tech demos and smaller games. It is going to be hard to convince any developer/publisher to invest millions into a project for a niche market/audience.

Sony right now:

WEILWtQ.gif

All Sony have to do is price it between 299-399 and they win.

Sony now know the price of their two competitors. Even 100 dollars lower than the occulus and Sony will still win

Heh, I remember some speculating that companies like HTC who have manufacturing experience would have an advantage over Oculus... not really, it seems.

I expected it to be $100-150 more than Oculus, but even with that expectation the final price is even higher.

Let's see now the Oculus Touch final price.

This is lower than I expected. I was thinking a thousand because of the room trackers.

Months ago they said they were pretty cheap to manufacture.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
What is it in Europe? The Rift was more than the USD price in many countries, even if you added in tax.

Peltz

images

I understand why, but I will be passing on this and grabbing one of the other two headsets.

This is like Neo Geo in 1990 levels of expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom