• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hyrule Warriors coming out on August 14 in Japan [Up: Famitsu Images]

Litri

I'm starting to wonder which will be the game's setting. On last year's reveal trailer we saw Hyrule Field, but I'm wondering which scenarios have been chosen by Tecmo/KOEI and Nintendo for this specific game.

Some of my all time Zelda favorites -->

Gerudo desert, Faron woods, Zora's Fountain and Eldin Volcano.

Mariolee

Yeah, at this point I'm more excited about finding out where this fits into the timeline than playing the actual game itself.

TreIII

Throw me in the camp that believes that Shia is just someone that Ganon decided to utilize for his own nefarious bidding, and he'll be revealed properly later.

I'm just hoping that perhaps the Blue Boar from LTTP may be the one chosen this time. The one good takeaway from Shin Gundam Musou for me was being able to talk a gigantic Mobile Armor and stomp all over everything else, so why not have a playable Ganon do similar? 8D

ironcreed

Banned
Sounds great. I love the Warriors games and am getting back into Zelda after years, so this will be quite nice. Hopefully the NA is not far behind.

I'm not sure how Dynasty Warrior typically works, but hopefully Zelda being kidnapped and "Shia" being the villain doesn't count them out as being playable characters. I know there's typically different campaigns from different perspectives in the main games, so they could take advantage of that here to show Zelda do some cool stuff or Ganondorf fighting Hyrulian Soldiers. Plus I think there's some more arcadey modes so.

Grizzo

The exact same thing happened last year.

Near drought for the first half of the year, then a game a month in the back half.

I'm still betting on X being delayed until next year. I expect Hyrule Warriors, Bayo 2, Smash, plus a couple of others we don't know about (and/or Yarn Yoshi) out this year though.

That's how it worked last year.

Aug: Pikmin 3/NSLU
Sep: TW101
Oct: Wii Party U
Nov: SM3DW
Dec: Wii Fit U (kinda)

EDIT: beat

Oh alright, I see. I'm a late Wii U owner (just got one a few weeks ago) so I haven't known anything but the drought for now.

I hope we can get at least three of these major games (Yoshi would be a bonus but since they never mention it, I guess we're gonna see it somewhere in 2015).

Some Nobody

I'm calling it

August Hyrule Warriors
September Bayonetta 2
October X
Nov Smash

Nintendo has been pretty consistent with worlwide releases, and Zelda is much bigger in the west, so I see no reason at all it won't be a worldwide August launch. Not like there's a ton of translation? X on the other hand...

lol please don't let this happen I can't handle another game I want coming out in October. September maybe, November I can swing it as a birthday gift. But October? >_<

Anyway, hopefully this is the start of consistent releases from Nintendo again.

Team Ninja co-developing it is actually good news to me. Gameplay could be a bit deeper than the average Dynasty Warriors game. Is this the first time they've worked with Omega Force on something?

Did they? The last word I remember was Iwata making it clear that this was a spin-off and not "the Zelda U", not anything that stated if this was "canon" or not.

My Japanese is rudimentary (and rusty), but I believe the interview in the OP says it's not canon.

Nia

Just when I was complaining about the lack of Hyrule Warriors info yesterday, this happens. I am pleased. I like that they're mixing Skyward Sword Impa's design with Ocarina of Time's Impa. Shia reminds me of Veran a bit, and that theory of her being controlled by a Majora's Mask like entity is interesting. More interesting than if it was just Ganondorf anyway, which it probably will be. I can't wait to see who these unexpected playable characters will be, among the others that might be playable.

Khrno

I'm not sure how Dynasty Warrior typically works, but hopefully Zelda being kidnapped and "Shia" being the villain doesn't count them out as being playable characters. I know there's typically different campaigns from different perspectives in the main games, so they could take advantage of that here to show Zelda do some cool stuff or Ganondorf fighting Hyrulian Soldiers. Plus I think there's some more arcadey modes so.

DW games usually have different game modes, the main story mode takes you through a set story where although you can choose from a few characters, they are set for each map, and sometimes you might not be able to choose a character (like in the Gundam games when you have to play with certain characters at certain times).

However after completing the maps/story mode, you unlock the characters (friendly npcs, enemy npcs) and you can use them in the other modes, which sometimes are actually bigger (in both scope and play-time) than the story mode.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Somehow Link looks like Other M Samus..

Tecmo-Koei Samus/Link approach
Link_and_Samus.jpg

Not sure how this will turn out but I'll definitely be picking this up. Not gonna miss a console Zelda, spin off or not. The few Warriors games I've played were interesting though admittedly I haven't spent a lot of time with them.

While the Wii U doesn't have a lot of games released the amount of exclusives it has are starting to add up quickly. Can't wait for it to release and hope it's sooner rather than later in NoA.

Dugna

Instead of having separate slots for each character or form from Zelda they could just make it so each character has select gear that allows them to use certain abilities from each game.

What I heard about the translation is Zelda sent Link to find Shia, not Zelda kidnapped by Shia.

Also, Omega-force + Team Ninja, IGN is going to give this game 3/10 or something, and it may deserve it, sadly.

TreIII

My Japanese is rudimentary (and rusty), but I believe the interview in the OP says it's not canon.

I suppose it doesn't really matter that much, but I'll wait for more details to come out. After all, if this game is the start of its own series, it could end up being a "separate continuity" unto itself.

What I heard about the translation is Zelda sent Link to find Shia, not Zelda kidnapped by Shia.

Also, Omega-force + Team Ninja, IGN is going to give this game 3/10 or something, and it may deserve it, sadly.

And that'll be before they even play it judging by some of their previous Dynasty Warriors reviews.

georly

I wonder if any of the 'unexpected' characters are non-zelda (like pit or samus). Or if they're just people who traditionally didn't do much fighting in previous games, like the sages.

Mory Dunz

Zelda will definitely be playable IMO

When I saw Shia, I instantly pronounced it "She yuh", maybe because it's Japanese so I didn't think of the actor.

MADGAME

I wonder if any of the 'unexpected' characters are non-zelda (like pit or samus). Or if they're just people who traditionally didn't do much fighting in previous games, like the sages.

Would be interesting for sure. Maybe scanning in characters via NFC. Doubtful, but would be neat.

AdanVC

Ahh this is cool! I honestly tough it will be an october title... but ya' this is for Japan so probably the game will arrive on the West around september/early october... That means another 3 to 4 month drought of Wii U games. Sigh. Hopefully that changes by E3 to see what they announce and launch between Mario Kart 8 and Hyrule Warriors.

Bayonetta 2 perhaps? :D

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
The scan has got me hyped.

In addition, it seems that the game received further polish judging by the images.

I'm excited to see the box-art. Nintendo's Wii U box-arts have been godly lately.

Wii U Release schedule might look like this moving forward:

- July : Bayonetta 2
- August: ? (HD re-release?)
- September : Hyrule Warriors
- October : X
- November : NFC game + Super Smash

It's looking good.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Judging from the scan (which is not much) the game looks pretty. Link's model looks a bit different.

Is Tecmo known for bullshots?

georly

In addition, it seems that the game received further polish judging by the images.

I'm excited to see the box-art. Nintendo's Wii U box-arts have been godly lately.

It's looking good.

Smash is Winter 2014, which basically means december. Unless they meant 'holiday 2014'. Who knows. I wouldn't be surprised if *THIS* was our november game, since zelda is sometimes november.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Smash is Winter 2014, which basically means december. Unless they meant 'holiday 2014'. Who knows. I wouldn't be surprised if *THIS* was our november game, since zelda is sometimes november.

Miyamoto:

By the end of this year, we will have “Mario Kart 8,” as well as “Super Smash Bros.”

It's definitely coming this year. I'm positive Nintendo's target is late November release in time for Black Friday.

Kriken

Good to know there's a release date now for this in Japan, I do hope we get more news of this in either a ND or E3, s shame it's only been shown once since December. Also, wonder if there will be some sort of digital download incentive in the states as well.

Effect

Johnny Yong Bosch does have a voice that would match what I always figured adult/teen link should sound like. Also the guy that does the English voice for Kira in Gundam Seed would be a good fit as well.

Edit: Matt Hill is the second guy I was thinking of.

TreIII

Since Nobuyuki Hiyama works for Koei so often (he's Date and Fuuma in Sengoku Musou, among others), I wonder if this means we'll get to hear him be Link again for the first time since SC2 and Melee.

It's looking good.

HD re-release + Bayonetta 1 port, PLEASE!!

Top Bottom