• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hyrule Warriors (Zelda Musou) (Zelda Dynasty Warriors) announced

sensui-tomo

Same here, although I may end up trying DW8 before then to try out the main series.

DW8 is the main series, another good one is Warriors orochi 3 which is the combined Dynasty warriors and samurai warriors game.(original story, no need to play the previous games before it, although it was made before 8 so it doesnt have those new characters from that title.)

Robin64

Someone explain Dynasty Warriors to a completely clueless person, please.

Is it just a "mash buttons to kill lots of enemies" series, or is there more to it?

Shinta

Banned
It's not hard to imagine Nintendo commissioned this game specifically because a "real" Zelda won't be ready for a while.
Well, seems they have a good working relationship with Tecmo. They worked together on Metroid after all. Nothing about this is truly that unusual. They work with Namco and Sega a lot too.

UNCMark

Banned
As a Zelda fan I was happy to hear the name called, and then Dynasty Warriors was mentioned. Fuck that. I hate that series. My wait for a real new Zelda Wii U game continues.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Better screens
1387380066-hyrule-warriors.jpg

Sadist

Hmmm, I just remembered that I posted a Nintendo Conference Bingo a few years back with as my crazy batshit prediction we'd get a Fire Emblem Musou game.

Damn, so close.

Since the only playable character that we know of is Link, this gives Koei/Nintendo an immense opportunity to tease information.

It's like Smash Bros. all over again. Every week or so they'll announce a new character/location/feature.

BPoole

They gave up after imagining the definitive character of all videogame characters, Cranky Kong. It sucked all the innovation out of every single one of their developers.
Maybe if Nintendo fans are lucky Nintendo will announce Cranky Kong as a playable character in this at the next Nintendo Direct.

Nätso

alright, the next time there's a Kanye thread im going to go shit it up with opinions that are based on practically 0 knowledge. Because it's fine apparently!

And for the sake of the argument, Kanye went from Graduation, to 808's and Heartbreak....

Yeah. Regardless of how much you appreciate DW games, there is no guarantee that you'll enjoy this game.

Yawnier

Banned

Is it just a "mash buttons to kill lots of enemies" series, or is there more to it?

If you play on a difficulty higher than normal you pretty much have to do more besides just smashing square or you will die.

Mory Dunz

I always kind of felt that brand dilution applied more to games of a similar genre or audience, personally.

Like: NBSMU, SM3DW, NSMB2
or Sticker Star, Dream Team.

I don't feel it applies to a brand if the games are different. Like going from playing Sticker Star, to SM3DW, to Mario Party (or something), to Mario Kart, to Luigi's Mansion, I wouldn't feel "too much Mario" because each game there is completely different.

So I know this Zelda game has fighting, and Zelda U will have...fighting, but that's about it. I don't see a big overlap so I don't see too much of an issue.

Playing and owning NSMBU could make someone slightly less hype and excited for something like SM3DW, because they're platformers. But if something like Hyrule Warriors made someone look towards Zelda U less....that'd be crazy.

That could be cool, but maybe too much for a first game. Of course, they could use a hook with the FE crossover to justify that... hmmm...

But I'm not sure if some Nintendo properties would go well with SMT demons.

Lol Kirby could eat demons and gain their powers digital devil saga style.

Link's own inventory from thoughout all the games could already fill out a playable roster on its own, if the fire staff from the video is any indication.

Heck, if they could do something crazy with, say, the Cane of Burma, that'd just sweeten the deal for me.

creid

Interesting announcement. Nintendo continues its "help other Japanese devs make money on Nintendo hardware by adding in Nintendo franchises" campaign. I hope this gets more people to try Musou games.

Effect

Honestly after the Other M debacle Nintendo needs to be a bit more considerate with how their IP is used by 3rd parties.

It was always my understanding the issue with Other M was not what Team Ninja did in terms of gameplay but the story (how Samus was written) and how it impacted how you played the game (not being allowed to use weapons, etc). All of which came from Sakamoto at Nintendo.

I actually do know enough about the musou games to know most likely how this game is going to be played

now it could be good or bad, I have no clue, maybe it'll be the worst thing ever and literally cause the crash of the games industry. It's a possibility, but hey maybe it can happen.

But really, you can have opinions about things, but there's no need to shit on an entire franchise of games that are actually fairly good. But of course, people on here will remember their Game Informer reviews from when they were 14 and won't actually try these games out.

When they were 14? The series has received marginal to negative reviews throughout its lifespan.

http://www.metacritic.com/search/all/dynasty+warriors/results

I am happy that you enjoy the game, but even you have to understand that the game series has a rather tainted reputation. This leads a lot of people to be skeptical about attaching the Zelda name to it.

a916

I was hoping someone would be able to take the IP and really take it into a new direction, so it's exciting in that front.

I was hoping, however, to not be something else (Dynasty Warriors) slapped with Zelda everywhere.

Mecha

Dynasty Warriors style games attract people for different reasons so its hard to explain the series. Some people like doing everything and the grind, others like the challenge of the higher difficulty levels, some just like killing stuff, and the list goes on.

TreIII

You know what I want after that?

A Mushroom Kingdom Musou.

Just imagine, the armies of Goombas vs armies of Toads, Bowser destroing everything, and then Mario, Luigi and Peach show up mounted on Yoshis to save the day. That would be glorious.

If anything, I would think that a game that actually focused on Bowser, his armies, and possibly his rise to power would be what I think could be the best usage of "Mario series" characters in the Musou formula.

Plus, Bowser has been needing his "own" game (re: no Mario or Luigi) forever. Why not give him one that would allow him, Junior, Kamek and the Koopalings a place to tear shit up?

MegaPanda

When they were 14? The series has received marginal to negative reviews throughout its lifespan.

http://www.metacritic.com/search/all/dynasty+warriors/results

I am happy that you enjoy the game, but even you have to understand that the game series has a rather tainted reputation. This leads a lot of people to be skeptical about attaching the Zelda name to it.

It's understandable that people aren't expecting much from this game. But why are people expecting that this game is a sign of future Zelda game quality? Nintendo isn't making this game and I highly doubt that it's interfering with Zelda WiiU development. This is just bonus fanservice for Zelda & Musou fans, just as the Gundam and One Piece games were.

So this is just a Zelda skinned Dynasty Warriors? Gross. Zelda is so far above this franchise, i feel like it's getting tainted by being associated with it. Is this the beginning of Zelda being whored out? Are we going to get Zelda Golf and Zelda Tennis next?

I'm not expecting this to be incredible or anything, but if this releases in 2014 I'll get a Wii U this summer so I can play this, Mario, Smash, Mario Kart, and a few others.

Are Dynasty Warrior games typically multiplayer? I'd love to play a game like this with friends.

Layell

It was always my understanding the issue with Other M was not what Team Ninja did in terms of gameplay but the story (how Samus was written) and how it impacted how you played the game (not being allowed to use weapons, etc). All of which came from Sakamoto at Nintendo.

If you think it was just story you are sadly mistaken, there were those dumb pixel hunting moments (which you could argue were story related). But then we have the horrible HP system that is unlike anything else Metroid related (can only recharge HP when you are about to die who thought this was a good choice?), the uninspired item choices which is basically the standard Super Metroid items, the awful FPS missile usage that makes Samus stand still like a moron, the fact it can only be played with the Wii Remote sideways, and no option at all for Nunchuck, the linearity that made everyone appreciate Metroid Fusion all the more.

If Other M wasn't a Metroid game I could write it off as some bland action game but it's a Metroid game and it is bad on about every level.

Riki

So this is just a Zelda skinned Dynasty Warriors? Gross. Zelda is so far above this franchise, i feel like it's getting tainted by being associated with it. Is this the beginning of Zelda being whored out? Are we going to get Zelda Golf and Zelda Tennis next?
Posts like these confuse me.
Zelda has already had spin offs before.
Four Swords. Crossbow training.
And this looks like a lot of fun! How is this tainting the franchise? Get over yourselves.

Top Bottom