• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hyrule Warriors (Zelda Musou) (Zelda Dynasty Warriors) announced

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
So this is just a Zelda skinned Dynasty Warriors? Gross. Zelda is so far above this franchise, i feel like it's getting tainted by being associated with it. Is this the beginning of Zelda being whored out? Are we going to get Zelda Golf and Zelda Tennis next?

If you think this game is a "whoring out", I don't think you've paid sufficient attention to the products the Zelda franchise has been associated with.

L~A

Damn, I was literally speechless when this was announced. I just couldn't believe what I saw seeing. The funny thing is that I had a passing thought a few days ago : 'hey, a Musou game in the Zelda universe would cool'...

I love the Samurai Warriors games (only played 2 of them, though, including 110h of the 3DS game), so having a Zelda Musou title is just wonderful. Link blasting off waves of enemies with fire magic...

Damn, I need this game NOW... The wait is gonna be tough.

Nätso

but gaf told me that reviews dont matter!

Why can't you just take an opinion for what it is?
Why spend all of that energy on someone else's thought process?
It's not worth the time, and it's not worth the effort. Relax, and enjoy the games that you enjoy. That's all anyone could ask for.

Posts like these confuse me.
Zelda has already had spin offs before.
Four Swords. Crossbow training.
And this looks like a lot of fun! How is this tainting the franchise? Get over yourselves.

Is Four Swords really a spin-off though?

To me, this does kind of cheapen the franchise, but it's not much of a big deal. I'm still going to love the main entries to the series, and since this is going to increase Nintendo's mindshare in Japan, then so be it. Can't hate on them for trying to do better.

Mecha

I'm not expecting this to be incredible or anything, but if this releases in 2014 I'll get a Wii U this summer so I can play this, Mario, Smash, Mario Kart, and a few others.

Are Dynasty Warrior games typically multiplayer? I'd love to play a game like this with friends.

I believe all of the recent Koei musou games have had online co-op, and all of them have local co-op. So there's a high chance of this also having co-op.

OK, you are just trolling at this point.

You claim people unfairly dislike the series based on old game reviews. I point out that the reviews have not gotten better, so your reply is now "lol reviews don't matter".

Discussing the matter any further appears to be pointless.

Videoneon

I would buy this. God that music kinda sucks though. Low expectations.

How are the regular Dynasty Warriors stories?
only played gundam 3 which was almost nonexistent.

Regarding DW and being most familiar with 4-6, surprisingly varied given that TK constantly reinterprets the same history (with all sorts of creative liberty, though this is essential to not create the exact same game over and over again.) It's still generally weak and there aren't often significant deviations like introducing the Jin faction. I myself am kinda pissed with how they structured some of the 7 and 8 storylines, as some factions' stories are truncated something fierce.

It's okay though, nobody plays it for the story once you're familiar with it the first time. Check them out for the music, the over the top attacks, and battles that can occasionally be quite demanding. Higher difficulties are recommended.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I really like this idea. I just hope it gets that Nintendo polish, because the Warriors games can be a bit rough at times.

Finalizer

I came in expecting a joke.

Or maybe some sort of fan made mod project.

Then it was real.

6PC60Hn.gif

Yazuka

Has anybody pointed out that this Link perhaps is the Skyward Sword prequel manga Link?
Just some changes in color here and there...

I don't really want to post a picture since all I can find are scans. Don't know the rules about posting a scan from a manga. But just google skywards sword prequel manga.

Nätso;94021651 said:
Why can't you just take an opinion for what it is?
Why spend all of that energy on someone else's thought process?
It's not worth the time, and it's not worth the effort. Relax, and enjoy the games that you enjoy. That's all anyone could ask for.

You seem to be spending a lot of energy on his...

DoubleTap

Wow ... just wow.

The end is nigh.

Now they are exploiting Zelda for a mindless dynasty warriors game and people flip about it.

LOL And of course , people aren't getting hysterical or flipping about the Zelda name being "destroyed" by being attached to the Musou franchise.

I'm not seeing any of that in this thread.

Tiu Neo

Lol Kirby could eat demons and gain their powers digital devil saga style.

You know, that could work.

If anything, I would think that a game that actually focused on Bowser, his armies, and possibly his rise to power would be what I think could be the best usage of "Mario series" characters in the Musou formula.

Plus, Bowser has been needing his "own" game (re: no Mario or Luigi) forever. Why not give him one that would allow him, Junior, Kamek and the Koopalings a place to tear shit up?

Now, that would be an interesting use of the characters. I would love something like this.

Darryl

Banned
So this is just a Zelda skinned Dynasty Warriors? Gross. Zelda is so far above this franchise, i feel like it's getting tainted by being associated with it. Is this the beginning of Zelda being whored out? Are we going to get Zelda Golf and Zelda Tennis next?

I think they hinted at a Sonic x Zelda cross-over as well in the Lost Worlds DLC, I believe. That's like as low as it can go.

Hoo-doo

Banned
This game is probably going to be total garbage.

Weird that they are actually taking a franchise as huge and prestigeous as Zelda and botch it onto Dynasty fucking Warriors.

It looks hilarious though! Like I just entered Bizarro world.

jay

You are the one who brought up reviews, now your counter argument is the single person known as GAF says reviews don't matter? This was preceded by you arguing that we know nothing so the negative reactions are bullshit before declaring you have a good idea what this game will be like so your positive reaction has merit.

I strongly advise other posters to not engage you in argument.

Anzan

Neo Member
Character options:
Multiple Links (Toon, Twilight Princess/Wolf, Skyward, etc.)
Deity Link
Sheik
Zelda
Tetra
Ganondorf
Ganon (big pig monster)
Demise
Vaati
Darunia
Impa
Skull Kid (With Majora's Mask)
Tingle (you know you want it!)
Yuga
Ghirahim
GOOSE!

Just read the news and seen the trailer.

It doesn't appeal to me, but I've no problem with it existing. I also don't think it looks particularly impressive visually, but clearly others disagree so its probably just a matter of taste.

I play my Zelda games for exploration mainly, so its probably understandable that I'm not that interested in this.

On a broader note, I'm happy with Nintendo allowing other developers to have a go with their IPs, as long as we don't get another Other M (though the problems with that title expand far beyond involving an inappropriate external partner).

Mumups

Judging from the video, it looks like Link will be the only playable character but just using different weapons.
I'm hoping for Zelda and Ganon though.

Has anybody pointed out that this Link perhaps is the Skyward Sword prequel manga Link?
Just some changes in color here and there...

I don't really want to post a picture since all I can find are scans. Don't know the rules about posting a scan from a manga. But just google skywards sword prequel manga.

Its the first thing I thought when I saw the character

Well. Most of the DW story-lines are based off of pre-existing material. The core series is based off of Romance of the Three Kingdoms, Samurai Warriors off the Sengoku period, and of course the Anime Warriors like One-Piece and FOTNS.

Most of Omega Force's original storylines are "what-if" scenarios and mash-ups designed entirely to appeal to fans.

So I expect Hyrule Warriors to have a storyline filled with fanservice, but otherwise nothing special.

Jarate

Banned
You are the one who brought up reviews, now your counter argument is the single person known as GAF says reviews don't matter? This was preceded by you arguing that we know nothing so the negative reactions are bullshit before declaring you have a good idea what this game will be like so your positive reaction has merit.

I strongly advise other posters to not engage you in argument.

yes, let's bring up reviews to niche japanese game!

Those games review so well!

also, reviewers never even play the game, they just give it a 4 and say, HERP DERP SAME GAME. This is why bringing up the metacritics are useless.

I wonder if the Internet and gaming existed in 1992 the way it currently does, if people would've complained that any of the myriad things Mario does cheapened the franchise.

I guess since they don't have Halo Fighter or CODtris, any spinoffs or side versions don't cheapen their franchises. Fair enough!

MegaPanda

Agreed that DWG3 had no story. DWG1+2 had an "Official Mode" which followed the plot from the various anime series. DWG4 is bringing Official Mode back and is including some newer Gundam series storylines

Jarate

Banned
I wonder if the Internet and gaming existed in 1992 the way it currently does, if people would've complained that any of the myriad things Mario does cheapened the franchise.

I guess since they don't have Halo Fighter or CODtris, any spinoffs or side versions don't cheapen their franchises. Fair enough!

mario is missing, the mario time travel game, the mario typing game all devalued the brand so much that mario 64 sold like shit

Teknoman

This game is probably going to be total garbage.

Weird that they are actually taking a franchise as huge and prestigeous as Zelda and botch it onto Dynasty fucking Warriors.

It looks hilarious though! Like I just entered Bizarro world.

Pokemon Conquest was pretty cool.

PBY

Banned
yes, let's bring up reviews to niche japanese game!

Those games review so well!

also, reviewers never even play the game, they just give it a 4 and say, HERP DERP SAME GAME. This is why bringing up the metacritics are useless.

we get it.

You are probably going to be able to play as Sheik in this game. This is what most people wanted isn't it? An action only spinoff where you could play as Sheik.

Someone explain Dynasty Warriors to a completely clueless person, please.

Is it just a "mash buttons to kill lots of enemies" series, or is there more to it?

Think of it like a 3D Final Fight on a large map with a light strategic layer, which you manage indirectly by clearing obstacles (like enemy officers or bases for example), or intercepting small enemy forces tied to an event trigger, or capturing territory, so that your npc army can accomplish it's fixed goals for the stage. There are variations and some have better ancillary systems than others, but that's the basic jist.

So in any given stage you'll have these fixed events that happen when certain npcs meet, or when you get to a specific spot on the map, and you can influence whether or not these happen or make them play out slightly differently by killing the event participants, or making sure someone stays alive long enough TO participate, etc.

The majority of the fun for me personally comes from the management of the strategic layer.

Yawnier

Banned
Footage seems from a early build btw.

You can probably expect the game to look less janky and more polished as time goes on. I remember the early gameplay videos of DW8 made it look janky as hell but by the time it was close to release it looked significantly better.

This looks fun but it better not be a full priced title, unless the new thing for Nintendo is allowing 3rd party publishers to use its IP on regularly horrible franchises. I really do hope this is fun though.

weevles

I did not expect this. I'm not really into Musou games, but I did pick up One Piece PW 2 because the theme and characters really fit into the gameplay pretty well. I'm not sure the same can be said of Zelda, but I guess we'll see how it goes...

Top Bottom