• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hyrule Warriors (Zelda Musou) (Zelda Dynasty Warriors) announced

shaowebb

GameXplain put up another video looking at elements of the trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1Y36jFCFYE

The crystals could also be monster generators. This was done in several musou style games most notably a game by Namco called Kamen Rider Battride War. Also some DW games had generators to destroy to get rid of Ghost enemies or various other threats. My guess though is while the crystal is RED the RED BARRIER is up trapping you in an area with enemies...like a boss fight. When its blue you are free to go. Likely defeating the general of a red zone will turn the crystal blue and let you leave if you dont want to fight the other enemies IMO.

Pots are what Link typically broke to find items and such likely they serve the same purpose as crates in Dynasty Warriors...to provide health, bonuses to atk/def/spd/meter or even item drops. Not certain why this was ever in speculation by these folks...seems obvious.

Also behind that barrier looks like Zelda. 

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
some characters suggested in the GameXplain video are simply tempting...I'd love to play as those:

Ghirahim-Second-Battle-demon-lord-ghirahim-27836691-583-978.png

x.jpg

Ganondorf_TP.png

Zant.png

Peoples who expect any more than Zelda skinned Dynasty Warriors are in for a massive disappointment.

By the way, there is nothing wrong about a Zelda skinned Dynasty Warriors.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Peoples who expect any more than Zelda skinned Dynasty Warriors are in for a massive disappointment.

I think that it's pretty evident that this is a Zelda-skinned Dinasty Warriors: who is expecting something diffrent? and what is expecting? :S

I think that it's pretty evident that this is a Zelda-skinned Dinasty Warriors: who is expecting something diffrent? and what is expecting? :S

In the GameXplain videos, peoples try to find if it's canon and if there's dungeons.

I don't think Nintendo thinks forward like this. The story will probably be farfetched and probably crammed multiple versions of the same characters, like Wind Waker Link.

To me, trying to find if it's canon is like trying to fit the Smash Bros Brawl storyline in the Zelda timeline.

Andrew J.

Keep in mind, this is the first time that Tecmo Koei has made a Musou adapatation of another game series, one with its own well-established mechanics that may be amenable to integration with the standard formula.

In the GameXplain videos, peoples try to find if it's canon and if there's dungeons.

I don't think Nintendo thinks forward like this. The story will probably be farfetched and probably crammed multiple versions of the same characters, like Wind Waker Link.

To me, trying to find if it's canon is like trying to fit the Smash Bros Brawl storyline in the Zelda timeline.

There are several periods in the Zelda timeline that would "work" for a period of great conflict and massive battles... Nintendo has also been known to farm out canon Zelda's to other companies and in forms I wouldn't have thought would be (see Four Swords Adventure).

Not saying that's a guarantee, only that there is quite the possibility for it being more than simply Zelda skinned Dynasty Warriors, story wise at least.

BY2K

Membero Americo
I want it to be non-canon, with multiple scenario, depending on which side you play, with a shitload of playables character, as per usual DW standards.

Make it an absolute fanservice fest for the Zelda fans. Go NUTS.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
The other problem too is that Zelda isnt exactly all that popular in Japan. With that being said means that this game would not be getting as much double exposure as they might hope.

Where as Fire Emblem is fairly popular in both sides o the pond, esp with how well the latest FE did in the west.

Anyways am driving the topic off the road so will stop on this. Looks cool, but am scratching my head at the decision that it got green lit.

Son Of D

For those who played the One Piece Musou games, did they follow the stories of the anime/manga or was it a non-canon original story? Might give us an idea as to how this will be in terms of story.

Parakeetman

For those who played the One Piece Musou games, did they follow the stories of the anime/manga or was it a non-canon original story? Might give us an idea as to how this will be in terms of story.

It followed pieces of the story, but granted it was nothing like what took place in said story in the manga of course.

kick51

Banned

it's not like there's a zelda canon to follow*

*unless you're really big into connecting disparate things in your head

Jamix012

The other problem too is that Zelda isnt exactly all that popular in Japan. With that being said means that this game would not be getting as much double exposure as they might hope.

Where as Fire Emblem is fairly popular in both sides o the pond, esp with how well the latest FE did in the west.

Anyways am driving the topic off the road so will stop on this. Looks cool, but am scratching my head at the decision that it got green lit.

...Zelda is more popular on both sides of the pond, especially the western side. Even in Japan, where Zelda is fundamentally a handheld-only series at this point, ALBW will almost certainly outsell Awakening. Also Fire Emblem Awakening has sold what...almost 1.5 million worldwide? Skyward Sword has sold 3-4 million. FE:A did huge numbers for the series, but is still dwarfed by the Zelda series as a whole.

Parakeetman

...Zelda is more popular on both sides of the pond, especially the western side. Even in Japan, where Zelda is fundamentally a handheld-only series at this point, ALBW will almost certainly outsell Awakening. Also Fire Emblem Awakening has sold what...almost 1.5 million worldwide? Skyward Sword has sold 3-4 million. FE:A did huge numbers for the series, but is still dwarfed by the Zelda series as a whole.

The sales numbers in Japan are generally poor for the Zelda titles compared to the west. Not to mention usually wind up in wagon sales which isnt exactly the sign of a strong series.

Over here people only generally care about Mario for nintendo based character games.

And you'd be wrong.... Part of what makes FE so great is that individuals mean something... Everyone on your side is precious, everyone on theirs a threat.

And the whole point of zelda is exploration and dungeon crawling not beating the shit out of 100000000000 of enemies. From a gameplay design perspective fire emblem would make far more sense than Zelda. It would be the "fantasy" dynasty / samurai warriors literally with how many damned characters they have.

massoluk

Banned
I want it to be non-canon, with multiple scenario, depending on which side you play, with a shitload of playables character, as per usual DW standards.

Make it an absolute fanservice fest for the Zelda fans. Go NUTS.

Meh, missed opportunity. Fanservice would be Nintendo Musou.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol

The first one followed the story pretty well. The second was an original non-canon story.

Riki

Having recently read the Skyward Sword manga, I kind of hope it's about that. The Hyrule wars and all. Seemed pretty awesome. OG Link was a badass.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Having recently read the Skyward Sword manga, I kind of hope it's about that. The Hyrule wars and all. Seemed pretty awesome. OG Link was a badass.

Best Link to date. Reminds me of GUTS from BERSERK in a way. Or Link is just more Anti-Hero and no bull shit.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
and this bring us to a question: would you prefer to see this game having a "canonic" approach to the storyline, or would you prefer to see it going crazy with the characters?
because of course, one thing limit the other...
Zelda canon is fucking dumb so hopefully not.

Lynd7

It would be a great chance to flesh out or play out some of the large scale battles that have only ever been alluded to in the main games.

ALTTP and Oot both have battle backstories.

As much as I'm not sure about the gameplay, I'm really excited to see more. I hope we get another trailer or screens soon.

Zelda canon is fucking dumb so hopefully not.

It's an ancient legend. If you try to line up every detail, of course it isn't going to be good. Details are lost over the course of time.

The timeline is cool because it gives fans room to speculate because of the flexible connections.

Platy

I agree with GameXplain about the playable character. How great would be to be Oni Link

and this bring us to a question: would you prefer to see this game having a "canonic" approach to the storyline, or would you prefer to see it going crazy with the characters?
because of course, one thing limit the other...

Going crazy, always

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
sorry for the bump, but...
This game is slated as a summer release (in Japan at least), and we are now around mid April.
Where in the BLUE HELL are the updates?!

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Well, "summer" might be September, so I could still be some time. I expect them to mention it at E3 at the latest.

you are right but...
Summer = last day of summer
Reveal trailer = no info for months
E3 info = a couple of months before the release....

it's not that the Wii U has TONS of games. I'd enlight the existing ones a little bit more...

AniHawk

well nintendo's sort of fallen into this habit of not having anything for the first half of the year and then dumping everything into the last half because that's when everyone buys everything anyway. the wii u is sort of a seasonal item now.

Top Bottom