• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I am meeting a Trump supporter this week. Help.

Only A Sith Deals In Absolutes

this is the problem with the Authoritarian Mind; democracy, reasoning, nuance matters not. The only thing that matters to them is the end to their means no matter

You're friend "fell in love" with a guy who advocates genocide

and you want to respect her

Honestly, I think you have already lost, OP.
Yeah this. Don't even bother with either of them. If you still value your friendship then you need to tell her to fuck off if she's cool with people advocating fucking genocide. You're only hope is to shock her into realizing how fucked up this all is. She's probably lost already but anything short of complete rejection of this guy will guarantee it.

Fury451

Banned
You're never going to get through to someone with blunt force confrontation. Try just talking to them and sharing your perspective on why a man like Trump says/does things that are hurtful to you personally?

You both might even have a good conversation or something.

The irony of this thread. OP wants to challenge an ill informed person who believes whatever someone else tells him by having a bunch of strangers tell him information he can't be bothered to confirm the veracity of.
This right here.

Also, OP obviously using hyperbole in his update to prevent thread backfire.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
This right here.

Also, OP obviously using hyperbole in his update to prevent thread backfire.

Yeah, who ever heard of a Trump supporter having problems with Muslims and women.

Islamophobes and misogynists in the alt-right?! Who would believe such a tale?

Dehnus

Yeah this. Don't even bother with either of them. If you still value your friendship then you need to tell her to fuck off if she's cool with people advocating fucking genocide. You're only hope is to shock her into realizing how fucked up this all is. She's probably lost already but anything short of complete rejection of this guy will guarantee it.
Yup, whatever happened to "punching an nazi in the face" being an American tradition gaf? Giving up already?

Ryzaki009

I'm sorry but Op needs to get his shit together too

are people so desperate for "love" and "friendship" that's its so easily to overlook someone being or falling "in love" with a white nationalist?

I suppose putting your friend down would leave her to fall to nazi white nationalist ideology herself, but if she's already "in love" with a nazi, she's already going down that path.

Like damn, your friend is love with someone who advocates for genocide and you want to continuing being her friend. That's a person you need to keep in your life?

I'm assuming this is a temporary burst of stupidity rather than something that's constant. She might just need someone to talk some sense into her. This is recoverable and I see no need to lose a friend to this stupidity if it can be avoided. If she keeps on this train despite OP trying to pull her off then I see cutting her loose.

Raptomex

Don't talk about politics. Done.

When you meet people for the first time and don't know their politics beforehand, do you normally ask them immediately? I'm curious how you cultivate relationships, OP.

Mohonky

2017-08-0814.09.59ovzub.jpg

This doesnt get posted nearly enough.

The fuck is wrong with some of you?

Van Bur3n

Bring a hazmat suit and replace one of your teeth with a disguised cyanide capsule if you think you're about to be compromised.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Oh God, why hasn't the OP been updated with extra context for all the turkeys who want to read the first post then come in here and contribute to the circlejerk?

JustenP88

Where is the update?

Ok after discussing it with my friend (who gave her consent to make the thread to begin with) I can reveal a little more.

This man publically calls for the mass genocide of muslims and to put women back in the kitchen like the good ol' days.
However he is a focused individual, always working hard.

It is for this reason my 20yo friend has fallen in love with him. As he is the exact opposite of a bad boyfriend she broke up with last year.
I am all for her finding love, and I care very deeply for her. But this union is a mistake, but she's too far gone. She is a good honest decent person. Unable to hate or be spiteful.

This man is the bane of society. A literal walking nazi. I cannot be friends with him. I will not. There is no nice person who thinks slavery was good and shame on anyone who thinks there is.

She wants me to meet him to prove he is a good person. I will out of respect for her. But hearing about him from her I know he will go on about things I object morally. She is too in love to disagree with him.

I know Trump is the worst thing in modern memory. I know he's a crook and a liar. A tax dodger, a sexist, a racist, and idiot. These are the facts, I know these.
When I made the thread it was in the knowledge that this conversation would pan out:

Him: 'those muslims eh. Killing is their way.'
Me: 'i think your talking about extremists. Majority of muslims are peaceful people.'
Him: who told you that? Your fake news media?'
Me: well 1, i know muslims. And 2 (insert fact reference matierial here) if you wanna check it out yourself, or whatever.

Don't get me wrong, this man is my moral enemy. But I will keep the peace for my friend. I want him to spout his nonsense so that I can casually rebuke him. In this way it will show him that other cultures don't put up with his shit.

As far as I'm concerned, and this is the part my friend doesnt know about. 2 outcomes will happen. First she will see just how hateful and nasty he is. Secondly i will confirm that i had misjudged my friend, and may have to end seeing her. Either way the outcome is why i will meet him.

I know you shouldnt judge somebody by their political beliefs, but genocide? Slavery? Racism? Sexism? I refuse to be anything but contempt to hostile to an individual who wears these words like a badge of honour.

Extra context. This is a little deeper than "I'm going to be in the same room as a stranger who voted for a certain person. How should I react?"

AYF 001

Well, whatever the OP's situation is, at least they're trying to penetrate the right-wing bubble. If you want to research some specifics of his policies, administration, or statements, there's plenty of places to go. But instead of expecting some debate where you exchange data points, I think you'd be better off taking an inquisitive approach to his beliefs. You say you already know he supports terrible things; instead of focusing on them like they probably expect you to, ask why they believe it, where it came from, and how do they know for certain their side is any more trustworthy than the people they've been told are out to get them.

People like that prepare for confrontation because it's what their worldview conditions them to do. But they aren't prepared for introspection and conversation, because confrontation is usually a defense mechanism for insecurity. People get sucked into those movements because they're afraid and ignorant. Showing that the truth isn't so scary, and that it's possible to feel safe outside of their comfort zone can be the first step towards them lowering their guard and looking at things from a new perspective.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
It might help to state that I am not willfully going to bring the subject up. But I know it will come up due to prior knowledge of the whole situation. I'm sorry if i am vague, but I have been asked not to tell any specifics, and I will respect that.

What i am asking for is general facts and references to use just in case. I came to this forum to ask for advice from the experiences of those who have to live with these people everyday. People who trully follow the subject.
My google-fu is not so good.

Your profile states you're in the UK, there's plenty of Alt-Right Trump fans right here. I mean it's not that uncommon for Americans to comes here, you know that right? Just listen to Radio 2 during any Brexit debate on the Vine show.

You're acting like you're representing our country or something, you're not. Treat this person like anyone else. If politics comes up as a subject then you disagree with whatever force you believe is correct depending on the person's views.

Aside from that, I think you need to calm down a bit. This isn't an invasion and you're not needed to bring the artillery.

Edit: Stay well away from trying to convince anyone whose feelings for someone you can't stand is a bad person. Fastest way to lose a friend ever.

I was talking with a Trump supporter at my work. It went something like this.

"I really like Trump man"

"Why?"

"I dunno, I just do"

"Whats likable about him?"

"I dunno"

"Ok"

"I like his stance on immigration and stuff"

"Which is?"

"I dunno"

"I think he's a piece of shit"

"How? The dude is so likable!"

"Whats likable about him besides his immigration stance?"

"I dunno"

Ponn

Banned

"Why?"

"I dunno, I just do"

"I dunno"

"Ok"

"Which is?"

"I dunno"

"I dunno"

Oh they know, most just also know it's not socially acceptable to say out loud what they like.

"Why?"

"I dunno, I just do"

"I dunno"

"Ok"

"Which is?"

"I dunno"

"I dunno"

They were hoping you'd go "Yea I hope he kicks out all the (insert race/ethnicity here) too!"

PopeReal

I find it amazing that somehow all of these hateful conservative beliefs that are the cornerstone of the party are never shared by the people who vote for them.

muu

Meet the guy, don't talk politics. Be a normal, sane person and try to connect with him. Be welcoming, shoot the shit with him.

Take him out to lunch at a middle eastern restaurant. Enjoy your time together.

Audioboxer

Your profile states you're in the UK, there's plenty of Alt-Right Trump fans right here. I mean it's not that uncommon for Americans to comes here, you know that right? Just listen to Radio 2 during any Brexit debate on the Vine show.

You're acting like you're representing our country or something, you're not. Treat this person like anyone else. If politics comes up as a subject then you disagree with whatever force you believe is correct depending on the person's views.

Aside from that, I think you need to calm down a bit. This isn't an invasion and you're not needed to bring the artillery.

Edit: Stay well away from trying to convince anyone whose feelings for someone you can't stand is a bad person. Fastest way to lose a friend ever.

Brexit is a disaster but that is pushing it a bit

Mr Trump meanwhile had an approval rating of 18 per cent with the British public and disapproval of 60 per cent.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...proval-rating-gorton-survey-gfk-a7653576.html (before the Corbyn resurrgence)

Trumps holding off even coming to the UK due to the reception ~ https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/jun/11/donald-trump-state-visit-to-britain-put-on-hold

Wait, so this guy openly endorses genocide, yet OP felt the fact that he supports Trump is the only real point of contention worth mentioning in the thread title and initial post?

Why do I suspect that OP wanted to pick a fight with somebody who has different political beliefs, and when called out on it, made up shit to make this person sound like a monster to justify their own hostility?

Wait, so this guy openly endorses genocide, yet OP felt the fact that he supports Trump is the only real point of contention worth mentioning in the thread title and initial post?

Why do I suspect that OP wanted to pick a fight with somebody who has different political beliefs, and when called out on it, made up shit to make this person sound like a monster to justify their own hostility?
Uh, made shit up?

A Trumper not supporting genocide is more of a mythical creature than a unicorn

Stop It

Brexit is a disaster but that is pushing it a bit

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...proval-rating-gorton-survey-gfk-a7653576.html (before the Corbyn resurrgence)

Trumps holding off even coming to the UK due to the reception ~ https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/jun/11/donald-trump-state-visit-to-britain-put-on-hold
18% is still 18% too high and is scarily close to the support UKIP had before the Brexit vote and the peak theoretical polling support for the BNP before that. That's still a big minority of potentially bigoted and right wing people, despite the majority view that Trump is an asshat.

The fact is that this sort of view, while not at all representative, still has a base of support in the UK and such rhetoric isn't exactly unheard of here.

The key bit is not his views, but of course that someone has fell for someone whose views diverge from theirs. As hard as is is to accept, you will very rarely convince someone in love that the person they love is a bad person, especially when the reasons are purely political.

I mean yes, the guy is a complete racist git, but having an argument with the guy is only going to make you look like a argumentative bastard and not convince this person that their feelings are misplaced.

Is it really unbelievable to you that a Trump supporter advocates for genocide?

Audioboxer

18% is still 18% too high and is scarily close to the support UKIP had before the Brexit vote and the peak theoretical polling support for the BNP before that. That's still a big minority of potentially bigoted and right wing people, despite the majority view that Trump is an asshat.

The fact is that this sort of view, while not at all representative, still has a base of support in the UK and such rhetoric isn't exactly unheard of here.

The key bit is not his views, but of course that someone has fell for someone whose views diverge from theirs. As hard as is is to accept, you will very rarely convince someone in love that the person they love is a bad person, especially when the reasons are purely political.

I mean yes, the guy is a complete racist git, but having an argument with the guy is only going to make you look like a argumentative bastard and not convince this person that their feelings are misplaced.

Statistically speaking in a political poll 18% is low. Give Americans a poll with an 18% approval rating of Trump and they'd be doing cartwheels. You could ask people in a poll do you want £5,000 no strings attached and it would still somehow end up 95% yes, 5% no. Point being, you'll probably never get to 0%.

A lot of the Republican party views are in-line with our Conservative party views, so you'll always get some tossing support towards the American equivalent. If anything, considering our country voted for Brexit and keeps voting for the Conservative party, it's actually pretty impressive to see Trump polling at something like 18%. As in, our country would probably be expected to chuck him maybe 30 odd %, or at least be higher than 18%. So even a good chunk of our Conservatives don't like him, considering our overall country seems to be heavily Conservative, politically.

But yes, I do agree I wish it was lower, I'm just trying to be pragmatic it's actually not that alarming. Hence why Trump won't even visit the UK.

chadtwo

It's not the first time I heard people trying to normalize shitty ideology by doing the whole "hey guys we are all human beings" thing. No shit, of course we are all humans, now make a bigger effort to try and tell that to the group that has the "opinion" some humans don't have a right to live. It goes beyond politics when a group of people advocate and are ok with racism, bigotry and being associated with those wanting genocide and white nationalism.

I'm dying at the idea that acknowledging the other side as human does anything to normalize terrible ideology. In fact, that's a great way to understand terrible ideology -- borne of human irrationality, infallibility, and cognitive bias. Treating the racism of Trump supporters as supernaturally, extraordinarily unique does absolutely nothing and is actually probably pretty detrimental to seriously addressing the roots of bigotry.

What a silly argument. Seriously, think about what you've said.

Or, if you're criticizing only those who use the phrase as some sort of sly way of justifying the actual content of Trump supporters' beliefs, then your real gripe should be with the intellectual dishonesty of those who use the phrase in that way, not the phrase itself.

Finally, I hear people say "it goes beyond politics" or "it goes beyond opinion" a lot these days when it comes to Trump. What does that even mean in terms of actionable decision-making? What do you have in mind? Are you advocating violent revolution or something? Has your personal response to Trump's policies thus far entailed circumventing the political process? How has your response to Trump and his supporters tangibly differed from your response to previous politicians whom you disliked?

The Hermit

To keep a long story short, a Trumper has come to my country and my friend (who is clueless of politics) wants me to meet them.
I would like specific evidence to use to counter argue this man. I've always accepted his way is wrong on a moral level. But I need evidence of facts as to why Trump is bad. Also specifically as to why muslims are not destroying america.

I know the sane move is to not interact with him. I know nothing will come of it. But nevertheless I need to try. For more information this guy is very anti-muslim, pro-trump, anti-clinton. He deserves to be shamed and made unwelcome here.

Nice

You will only strengthen his position

Nowise10

Probably already been posted but you're just showing you don't even know why you dislike Trump when you're asking people to give you arguments to use.

Stop It

Statistically speaking in a political poll 18% is low. Give Americans a poll with an 18% approval rating of Trump and they'd be doing cartwheels. You could ask people in a poll do you want £5,000 no strings attached and it would still somehow end up 95% yes, 5% no. Point being, you'll probably never get to 0%.

A lot of the Republican party views are in-line with our Conservative party views, so you'll always get some tossing support towards the American equivalent. If anything, considering our country voted for Brexit and keeps voting for the Conservative party, it's actually pretty impressive to see Trump polling at something like 18%. As in, our country would probably be expected to chuck him maybe 30 odd %, or at least be higher than 18%. So even a good chunk of our Conservatives don't like him, considering our overall country seems to be heavily Conservative, politically.
Actually...more people voted centre or centre left in 2017 than centre right or otherwise.

But FPTP and voter distribution gave the Tories the win at a higher rate than the vote split would otherwise suggest.

I know what you're saying, but I've seen enough people who frankly match the OP description over here.
My main contention was that the OP insinuated that this sort of view doesn't fly here. The likes of Hopkins and Farage shows that alas, they have their minority, but very loud and obnoxious support here too.

It's also impossible to argue with people like this with any other results than continuing to see them as arseholes and them continuing to be arseholes. The problem here is the OP wants to place a friendship on the line because if they can't convince that they're right and this guy is an arsehole that their friendship isn't worth it.

I'd say the argument isn't worth it and to let the person involved discover for themselves what toxic views can do to a person when they meet them. Trying to convince them yourself is doomed to almost certain failure.

I'm going to be interacting with Trump supporters at a work meeting in five minutes. There's no point in getting in a big fight with them, just talk about other topics and move on.

I have updated the OP with the update. I am limited to mobile so its not pretty. Just a copy paste.

I also want to thank all the people providing me with links. It helps me brush up and memorise who is providing what information and where they got that information from.

Audioboxer

Actually...more people voted centre or centre left in 2017 than centre right or otherwise.

But FPTP and voter distribution gave the Tories the win at a higher rate than the vote split would otherwise suggest.

I know what you're saying, but I've seen enough people who frankly match the OP description over here.
My main contention was that the OP insinuated that this sort of view doesn't fly here. The likes of Hopkins and Farage shows that alas, they have their minority, but very loud and obnoxious support here too.

It's also impossible to argue with people like this with any other results than continuing to see them as arseholes and them continuing to be arseholes. The problem here is the OP wants to place a friendship on the line because if they can't convince that they're right and this guy is an arsehole that their friendship isn't worth it.

I'd say the argument isn't worth it and to let the person involved discover for themselves what toxic views can do to a person when they meet them. Trying to convince them yourself is doomed to almost certain failure.

Don't mention the word centre in an American political topic lol. I agree with you, but after having spent a few years slowly being educated more on American politics, while there is similarities between our Conservative party and the Republicans, they're not 1:1. One of the biggest differences being, while theyworkforyou.com might show some horrendous Tory MP voting records, overall, social acceptance of things like LGBT and having some sort of benefits system/social healthcare system are still supported by our Conservatives. They're dicking around with the NHS and benefits for sure, and it's pathetic/hurting many, but they're not quite Republicanevillaugh.gif style fuck the poor, ill and those gays. We don't have as much of a God-infused element to our political system either. Nor do we have the guns...

I've got an Uncle who is the kind to share articles on FB that drives the family crazy, especially living in Scotland (where last election aside we've kept the Tories at 1 seat for years and years). Conservative propaganda. Never quite on the level of UKIP garbage, more I've got mine, fuck you, with plenty of ignorance. Guy is smashing in person, and will happily debate with family members without getting aggressive. I can't say I don't like my Uncle... I just don't agree with many of his political views. The thing is, he admitted last election he voted Labour for the first time in quite a while. Mainly because of May. Like Trump, May is a terrible leader. Even David typical Tory Cameron could still string things together a bit better than May. You could probably, therefore, describe my Uncle as centre-right. As I said in a topic about Hillary Clinton's book to GAF, to win elections you're normally talking about convincing a 5~15% margin. Not to mention convincing people to simply vote. People who treat voting like it's a buffet system, of taking part whenever they feel like it, deserve their own kind of side eye for any time they moan about politics but say they stay at home. That's another topic of debate, and America does suffer from an even worse turnout than we do. Like routinely around 50% of the country eligible to vote... sheesh. We're at least usually in the 60's, sometimes 70's.

Anyway, your main points I agree, there are decent %'s of people out there you'll only raise your own blood pressure trying to debate/change. Largely speaking, ignore them and focus on getting those who may be in that 5~15% to listen to your arguments. While also taking part in contributing honestly, critically and effectively to your own parties leadership. Getting your leader right is important, just look at the UK and May holding a snap election where she was confident as fuck, and ending up trashing her own majority. Regular stay at home voters and the 5~15% who can be swayed pop up every now and then and hit back at shit leaders/go with leaders who inspire. Americans should know that as well coming off of Obama of all people.

All of this off topic chat aside, what I said is relevant to someone like the OP or anyone else, wanting to charge off into confrontations and act like this is Game of Thrones where you just stick a sword in the bad guys. Sometimes it's best just to write people off, disengage and stay the fuck away from them. OP keeps going on about a friend who is apparently giving permission for a NeoGAF topic... just tell that friend to read this topic. I still don't quite know what the status is on long distance relationship or what, but if things check out as the OP is telling GAF, their friend has to have some serious wish to hook up with genocide, patriarchal kitchen demands and Nazi-ism. Unlike some on GAF, I do believe there will be centre-right Republicans, just like there are British centre-right Tories. Some who can be influenced/debated, but OP's description of a person doesn't seem to sound like that.

I read the update and honestly, you've just go to write off your friend. You're correct in saying that she's too in love with him to see how wrong he is, and she'll keep being that way as long as she's in love with him. Your attempts to humiliate the Nazi will just sour her on you. And judging from the fact that you had to crowd-source your arguments, I'm a bit skeptical you're going to casually destroy him, anyway. If he's got any rhetorical skills he might just end up humiliating you and looking like a hero. You've got to understand that Trump supporters don't give a shit about truth, consistency or intellectual honesty. It's all about winning the battle in front of them at all costs. Being freed from any constraints of morality even a mediocre debater has a chance of besting someone who plays fair. Fortunately most Trump supporters are morons, but this guy doesn't sound like a moron.

I'd be telling the friend that her ~very special one~ makes me uncomfortable, and that I don't want to engage with him. Arguing with people, particularly when you don't have an argument lined up and come on the Internet to have people get it set up for you, is more likely to make them double down than it is to make them listen. If anything, being exposed to your more tolerant views might make him see some reason, but the fact that you're prepared to go in taking shots while ignoring advice to the contrary doesn't reflect well.
The guy sound absolutely reprehensible, true, but I'd be asking why the friend isn't seeing/doesn't care about that. That doesn't necessitate being anything other than patient and neutral about the situation, but it'd give me pause for sure.

Maybe I misunderstood, but why even entertain the idea of hanging out with someone who believes in Muslim genocide?

I'd tell him to fuck off, i don't need to hear his side. I guess don't talk politics? But the genocide thing and walking nazi would be on he back of my mind as he spoke.

Ekai

could just talk like actual people instead of having to debate those that have different views?

Why do you feel it necessary to go on the political attack/debate stance straight away?

Trump supporters are actual people?
Racism, sexisn, homophobia, transphobia are just different points of view? Hmmm

yep

Fercho

Personally i don't have patience nor desire to talk with a Trump supporter or to listen what he has to say. Not anymore.

I could understand the misguided souls who voted for him. But to support him at this point goes beyond political views, it's a statement and i don't have time for those guys anymore.

Top Bottom