• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I am meeting a Trump supporter this week. Help.

You'll be fine most likely. Personally, I would try to avoid bringing up any politics. As a thread yesterday showed, a lot of previously outspoken Trumpsters have shut up recently. If he has any humility, he'll follow suit. If he doesn't, it's always good to know what you're talking about.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/promises/trumpometer/browse/
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/06/23/opinion/trumps-lies.html
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-38663043
http://www.npr.org/2017/06/23/533840991/despite-claims-to-contrary-trump-has-signed-no-major-laws-5-months-in

I'm sure others can provide some quality references as well.

EDIT: Well, never mind then after reading your update. Tell your friend to open her fucking eyes and ask her how she can just ignore what this guy believes. Others have said to just walk away if he starts bringing up this shit. I don't think I could do that. You need to be ready to counter every stupid fucking claim he makes.

Foffy

Banned
Wait, this person supports genocide?!

OWNWKKI.gif

This person may be a straight up lost cause, OP...

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
I wasn't really talking about OP, i was talking about you. If you think that all "trump supporters" are, at their core, loud, proud white nationalists and mysoginists, then that's a dangerous assumption to make.

If you can't even imagine speaking with another human being simply because they're a "trump supporter", then I don't know what to tell you. The majority of this thread seems to understand that having deep anxiety and fear over simply meeting another person because their ideas are different from yours isn't a healthy thing.

OP isn't going into combat, he's just going to have a fucking conversation. If he doesn't agree with him, so fucking what, get over it and talk about something else, you aren't going to convince everyone you talk to that your political views are correct.

Most normal people can do this. Unless both OP and the guy he's talking about are both nutcases, in which case yeah, maybe the conversation will turn violent and it'll end in a deathmatch or some shit

I honestly have a hard time believing that someone would genuinely just flat-out say "I believe in mass genocide of Muslims because reasons" and not either be genuinely mentally unstable, or have some very deep and wide disconnect with the things hes saying vs. the things he actually knows.

I don't have to "imagine" speaking to a Trump supporter. If I stood up from my desk right now and spun around in a circle, I'd see about 15 people, all but one of which are Trump voters. We're not talking about a casual conversation with the local freaking milk people. We're talking about one friend concerned about another friend who seems to be getting into a relationship with a man wrapped up in the hottest new death cult.

Honestly, I think the fact that you're handwaving all the "Muslim genocide" stuff aside like it's just a footnote to dance around is concerning. These sorts of sentiments are what propelled Donald Trump into power. This isn't fringe shit. The President of the United States is going to ride that hate wave until the wheels fall off. We're not doing ourselves any favors by trying to convince ourselves and those around us that these people don't actually mean what they're saying.

Sounds to me like you should be sitting down and talking with her, not him.

You have to remember that not everyone who supports Trump (the guy you're meeting obviously being an exception) does so because they are hateful people. Many of them have been mislead by the right wing media bubble.

I don't know if I can be friends with someone who is white nationalist Nazi though. Or a friend that wants to be friends with that person or is even okay hanging with them at their own free time.

Veitsev

If you can't shut up about politics than give up on the dude and your friend. You can't simply change the opinions of a white nationalist. If she doesn't care about him being a white nationalist then she probably has some pretty abhorrent views too that you don't know about. You can't change these people with facts. They don't operate in the same reality. They will reject everything you say as fake news. They reject science. They reject academia. The only hope is that they see the error of their ways through their own experiences (mostly shit that affects them directly). Logic won't work.

Don't waste your time.

What a silly thread with a silly title. "I am meeting a Trump supporter. Help."

How about act like an adult and get on with things? Google tells me 62.9 million people voted for him. You've probably already met one or two.

What's even sillier is that you're so convinced you have to present a strong argument and win a fight you're so sure of, but you can't even come up with evidence on your own.

Llyranor

So your friend is in love with someone who thinks she should be back in the kitchen and who advocates genocide? Yikes.

Your first mistake was thinking facts matter to a Trumper

Your second mistake was thinking you could do anything to change their mind. Aside from the fact he's a piece of shit, Trump has accomplished nearly nothing. Even if you support his shitty policies he's too incompetent to even get them passed yet people still think he's the greatest president ever

If what you have said about this guy's views are true and not hyperbole and you have confronted your friend in private about her SO's abhorrent views on genocide and women's rights and she is still dead set on being with him, I don't think any facts you may be able to share will change her mind.

Also, probably not a good idea to go into the encounter with the idea that you need to shame him if you truly are interested in changing his or her minds on anything. It would better to just not meet him if that's the case.

mcrommert

Banned
Ok after discussing it with my friend (who gave her consent to make the thread to begin with) I can reveal a little more.

This man publically calls for the mass genocide of muslims and to put women back in the kitchen like the good ol' days.
However he is a focused individual, always working hard.

It is for this reason my 20yo friend has fallen in love with him. As he is the exact opposite of a bad boyfriend she broke up with last year.
I am all for her finding love, and I care very deeply for her. But this union is a mistake, but she's too far gone. She is a good honest decent person. Unable to hate or be spiteful.

This man is the bane of society. A literal walking nazi. I cannot be friends with him. I will not. There is no nice person who thinks slavery was good and shame on anyone who thinks there is.

She wants me to meet him to prove he is a good person. I will out of respect for her. But hearing about him from her I know he will go on about things I object morally. She is too in love to disagree with him.

I know Trump is the worst thing in modern memory. I know he's a crook and a liar. A tax dodger, a sexist, a racist, and idiot. These are the facts, I know these.
When I made the thread it was in the knowledge that this conversation would pan out:

Him: 'those muslims eh. Killing is their way.'
Me: 'i think your talking about extremists. Majority of muslims are peaceful people.'
Him: who told you that? Your fake news media?'
Me: well 1, i know muslims. And 2 (insert fact reference matierial here) if you wanna check it out yourself, or whatever.

Don't get me wrong, this man is my moral enemy. But I will keep the peace for my friend. I want him to spout his nonsense so that I can casually rebuke him. In this way it will show him that other cultures don't put up with his shit.

As far as I'm concerned, and this is the part my friend doesnt know about. 2 outcomes will happen. First she will see just how hateful and nasty he is. Secondly i will confirm that i had misjudged my friend, and may have to end seeing her. Either way the outcome is why i will meet him.

I know you shouldnt judge somebody by their political beliefs, but genocide? Slavery? Racism? Sexism? I refuse to be anything but contempt to hostile to an individual who wears these words like a badge of honour.

You know what you must do

You must take the Shards of Narsil, of the sword that was broken

And you must reforge them into Anduril

Only then can you strike down such evil

Ok after discussing it with my friend (who gave her consent to make the thread to begin with) I can reveal a little more.

This man publically calls for the mass genocide of muslims and to put women back in the kitchen like the good ol' days.

It is for this reason my 20yo friend has fallen in love with him. As he is the exact opposite of a bad boyfriend she broke up with last year.
I am all for her finding love, and I care very deeply for her. But this union is a mistake, but she's too far gone. She is a good honest decent person. Unable to hate or be spiteful.

This man is the bane of society. A literal walking nazi. I cannot be friends with him. I will not. There is no nice person who thinks slavery was good and shame on anyone who thinks there is.

She wants me to meet him to prove he is a good person. I will out of respect for her. But hearing about him from her I know he will go on about things I object morally. She is too in love to disagree with him.

I know Trump is the worst thing in modern memory. I know he's a crook and a liar. A tax dodger, a sexist, a racist, and idiot. These are the facts, I know these.
When I made the thread it was in the knowledge that this conversation would pan out:

Him: 'those muslims eh. Killing is their way.'
Me: 'i think your talking about extremists. Majority of muslims are peaceful people.'
Him: who told you that? Your fake news media?'
Me: well 1, i know muslims. And 2 (insert fact reference matierial here) if you wanna check it out yourself, or whatever.

Don't get me wrong, this man is my moral enemy. But I will keep the peace for my friend. I want him to spout his nonsense so that I can casually rebuke him. In this way it will show him that other cultures don't put up with his shit.

As far as I'm concerned, and this is the part my friend doesnt know about. 2 outcomes will happen. First she will see just how hateful and nasty he is. Secondly i will confirm that i had misjudged my friend, and may have to end seeing her. Either way the outcome is why i will meet him.

I know you shouldnt judge somebody by their political beliefs, but genocide? Slavery? Racism? Sexism? I refuse to be anything but contempt to hostile to an individual who wears these words like a badge of honour.

Well that was an unexpected read.

Honestly I'd probably end up fighting someone like that if I met them (especially if alcohol got involved) so I'm not gonna hand out advice here.

Well, other than
face punch him

I didn't say that you should be?

Oh my bad. To expand on it, I don't think the OP should go even for their friend. They seem pretty ticked off meeting this guy in general. And even if it's to protect their friend, its not worth if they're gonna approach the meeting like how they already approached this thread.

To OP: I know you care about your friend, but you should probably not go. Let her judge this guy herself.

I don't know what pussy started this whole belief that you can't judge someone on their political beliefs but it's laughable.

Their beliefs are directly tied to who they are. Good people don't believe in sexism or that white men are discriminated against.

ACE 1991

Just don't talk about politics with him, dude. There is no reason for you to engage him over his political views other than for a self-serving sense of superiority. The fact that you don't know enough about the issues you purport to care about to successfully argue against this person's views proves this. Take the high road, and don't engage. If he attempts to provoke by saying some reprehensible shit, however, feel free to call him out.

chadtwo

You make it sound like you're meeting with a serial killer, alone, in a dark alley at midnight.

Just treat him like the human being he is, and if politics come up then either express your views respectfully while understanding that neither of you is likely to have your mind changed, or change the subject.

Edit: In light of the genocide thing I would avoid talking to him altogether.

. He deserves to be shamed and made unwelcome here.

Going in with the intention of shaming is a great way to make a fool out of ones self. And needing other peoples help to shame is shameful. If you don't know the facts on Trump yet feel his supporters need to be shamed you may need to take a step back and apply some self reflection.

But given how you have decided to ignore some reasonable advice. You are just making yourself look bad.

Just be a normal person and converse on topics.

Ponn

Banned
It's funny how there's always people willing to give Trump supporters the benefit of the doubt, it's just their opinion, they are human, etc etc. Then they end up supporting genocide.

I'll keep on saying it over and over, Trump supporters knew damn well all the shitty stuff they were voting into office. He didn't hide it, he flaunted it.

chadtwo

It's funny how there's always people willing to give Trump supporters the benefit of the doubt, it's just their opinion, they are human, etc etc. Then they end up supporting genocide.

I'll keep on saying it over and over, Trump supporters knew damn well all the shitty stuff they were voting into office. He didn't hide it, he flaunted it.

This has gotta be the first time I've ever heard of someone criticizing people for calling their political opponents human.

Regardless, this guy seems like a lost cause.

Merrydeath

Just avoid talking on the subjuct. He going go stick with his way. I have a friend who is a pro trumper and I tried to tell him to research on the "news" he posted on Facebook and he simply insulted me for being a Clinton supporter which wasn't even the point I made to him.
Point is.
Your going to be dealing with a wall that won't listen to reality and it best not tried to engaged in politics matter
Your going to open up a can of worms..

Ponn

Banned
This has gotta be the first time I've ever heard of someone criticizing people for calling their political opponents human.

Regardless, this guy seems like a lost cause.

It's not the first time I heard people trying to normalize shitty ideology by doing the whole "hey guys we are all human beings" thing. No shit, of course we are all humans, now make a bigger effort to try and tell that to the group that has the "opinion" some humans don't have a right to live. It goes beyond politics when a group of people advocate and are ok with racism, bigotry and being associated with those wanting genocide and white nationalism.

This OP. Tell your friend to get her shit together. WTF tell her to have some standards.

I'm sorry but Op needs to get his shit together too

are people so desperate for "love" and "friendship" that's its so easily to overlook someone being or falling "in love" with a white nationalist?

I suppose putting your friend down would leave her to fall to nazi white nationalist ideology herself, but if she's already "in love" with a nazi, she's already going down that path.

Like damn, your friend is love with someone who advocates for genocide and you want to continuing being her friend. That's a person you need to keep in your life?

blackflag

To keep a long story short, a Trumper has come to my country and my friend (who is clueless of politics) wants me to meet them.
I would like specific evidence to use to counter argue this man. I've always accepted his way is wrong on a moral level. But I need evidence of facts as to why Trump is bad. Also specifically as to why muslims are not destroying america.

I know the sane move is to not interact with him. I know nothing will come of it. But nevertheless I need to try. For more information this guy is very anti-muslim, pro-trump, anti-clinton. He deserves to be shamed and made unwelcome here.

if you dont actually know why trump is bad or how muslims are "not deztroying america" then you need to just ignore this person and worry about educating your self.

Raven117

could just talk like actual people instead of having to debate those that have different views?

Why do you feel it necessary to go on the political attack/debate stance straight away?

First post nails it. Just talk to the guy and try and understand WHY he supports Trump.

You wont change his mind, but you might get a greater understanding of the mindset of these people that you can use to identify that in others in your country. Trump is a symptom of a river of discontent underflowing the world in general.

Audioboxer

Out of curiosity, how many people here are willing to just shoot the shit and hang out with someone you know advocates genocide?

If it's not hyperbole and "A literal walking nazi" can be taken seriously, unlike many of the "everyone is nazi" claims on the internet, then I doubt many. You'd have to be off your rocker to plan a nice social gathering with your supposed best friend and her legimately genocidal boyfriend, who appears to be some long distance FB hookup (it's suggested they've never met???). OP's continuing issue will be not everyone is going to read 134 posts to get to this. They will read the title and the OP and respond.

I've never met a Trump Supporter in person. Is it true that they all have Orange Skin?

Believe it or not, Trump supporters are all around you. Only a small minority of them are vocal about their support of him.

See: The 2016 election where he upset Hilary Clinton even though everyone you talked to said they weren't voting for Trump.

PillarEN

Oh. I was thinking Trump supporter in a less unhinged way (yes there are "normal" people that don't mind him), but this is less of a Trump supporter and more of a complete nutter who doesn't seem all that swell.
*mind blown*
I figured this was just a friend of your friend who was coming for a visit. I certainly know some people from my past in other parts of the world who apparently like Donald going by their Facebook posts. Figured it was one of those kind of meetings.
But she is dating him?!?! Hahaha. She is a woman who has fallen in love with a person who thinks of her as a third class nothing and also wishes death upon millions of people. She is dating this person. What a bizarre twist.

Dehnus

Ahhh both sides are the same. I forgot for a minute.

Alright then, from here on out I will post as if being gay is a choice, hillary clinton is having people executed left right and center, the earth is only 6000 years old, evolution isnt real, global warming isnt real, dinosaurs were on the ark, abstinence only education works, and Barack Obama is a Kenyan muslim marxist socialist communist.
Don't forget: Mexicans need to be deported, a wall needs to be around every country, refugees need to die and Soros is The devil.

Gosh the privilege shown in this thread is extreme. Maybe op 's friend set up this meeting as a debate? And the op is a minority that does not have the luxury of acting like " first they came for.."? Most in this topic seem quite comfy in that role, only being keyboard warriors to scream shame when it's in the news.

First post nails it. Just talk to the guy and try and understand WHY he supports Trump.

You wont change his mind, but you might get a greater understanding of the mindset of these people that you can use to identify that in others in your country. Trump is a symptom of a river of discontent underflowing the world in general.

Exactly this. Coming at somebody with hostility right off the bat is a 100% guarantee that you will never change their mind on anything. Just try talking to the guy like a regular human being.

Unbounded

Living with one right now, trust me, facts do not work and any engagement just makes things worse.

The most progress I've had is in ignoring it and doing absolutely nothing.

EDIT: Ahhh. So she's dating him and he's a little unhinged.

Uh, I'd at least ask him about why he's a Trump supporter then. Hopefully if your friend hears him out loud she'll start to see that he's a bit of an ass.

Top Bottom