• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I hope CD gets another shot at Tomb Raider.

Why? Because she mows down cannon fodder with impunity?

How about how she interacts with all of the antagonists in the game especially
Ana
? The only time you get any sense of vulnerability is from her inner-monologue and that is all around feeling responsible for getting people killed.

Enemies: "She's here!"
Lara: "You're damn right I am!"

That doesn't sound particularly inspiring. Nor do I think that Camilla Luddington can convincingly play that role.

That is just one example meant to respond to the nonsense idea that she is somehow emo now. Maybe you should expand on what made her a bad-ass in the original games that somehow does not apply to the reboot.

tuxfool

Banned
That is just one example meant to respond to the nonsense idea that she is somehow emo now. Maybe you should expand on what made her a bad-ass in the original games that somehow does not apply to the reboot.

I don't think she is emo. However I really don't think that they can convincingly make Lara cool with the writing and the current actress.

In the old games Lara didn't actually talk as much as the newer games, but she was unflappable when she did.

I don't think she is emo. However I really don't think that they can convincingly make Lara cool with the writing and the current actress.

In the old games Lara didn't actually talk as much as the newer games, but she was unflappable when she did.

The performance of the actress is certainly subjective but I think she does a great job. I was mainly replying to the poster that said she was a "bad-ass bitch" in the old games but is an emo little girl now. I'd defy anyone who thinks that to watch the clip below and explain their position:

WARNING: Major spoiler for ROTR in this clip but since so many in here seem set on not playing the game anyway... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrExtbuqd7M

Tobor

I don't think they'll take the MS money again. I don't think anyone will now.

Well, yeah. No one else would before, and they certainly won't now. MS approached multiple publishers/developers and Square Enix was the only ones who bit. The rest were smart enough to say no.

Skele7on

Banned
They will hopefully, it's not their fault that Square are making insane deals the game is very solid and I've been having a blast playing it.

Ray Down

Banned
Well, yeah. No one else would before, and they certainly won't now. MS approached multiple publishers/developers and Square Enix was the only ones who bit. The rest were smart enough to say no.

Yep, the biggest one MS targeted was EA for a fully exclusive deal (Xbox 1/PC) for Mass Effect Andromeda. But EA had enough sense to say no even when Microsoft offered timed exclusive they sill said no because this is there chance to get Mass Effect to really grow and not by stunted by releasing it late on any platforms.

Percy

Banned
I find it funny how many people are saying how it's a shame they screwed this game over by making it exclusive. So much of a game's "narrative" online is written by the people who yell the loudest and then is spread outward. If the ps4 only owners would have been adults and thought to themselves "hm that's business and how the world works, besides I'll probably get to play it next year like the wording clearly reveals", then they wouldn't have caused a huge uproar that convinces others to basically boycott the game. It's only an issue because people made it an issue. I own both systems, but last gen I only had a PS3, and whenever a game was exclusive to Xbox I didn't whine...because I can see how big gaming businesses want to operate. It doesn't take much thought to step outside yourself and use your imagination to see that. Just because a game comes out on another system doesn't mean the next one will, and assuming that is the case is to be willfully immature. I feel like I'm taking crazy pills with how the Internet treats games as this personal business, when it's fucking entertainment and exists to make money.

Holy shit... I'm dying!

Aranjah

...Weird. I haven't been following it, so I had no idea this game sold poorly. I've been planning on picking it up soonish (maybe after Christmas), it just didn't make it to the point of being an "I must buy this on release" game for me.

What's all this "corporate bullshit" people keep talking about in this thread?
If it's the Xbox One [timed] exclusivity then all I can say is welcome to this side of the table as I sit here with my Xbox and watch all of these awesome-sounding PS4 exclusives (some timed, some permanent) go by. I'm sure you're all equally upset by the exclusivity on those, right?

If it's not that, can someone fill me in or link me to a story or something?

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
I'm sure they will. I don't think that the last one tanking hurt Square in any way. There sure was some kind of backdoor they had in the deal. I don't know, like MS covering for the production if it doesn't make enough or something like this.

That said, I still cannot fucking wait for the PC version. Day uno.

RK128

...Weird. I haven't been following it, so I had no idea this game sold poorly. I've been planning on picking it up soonish (maybe after Christmas), it just didn't make it to the point of being an "I must buy this on release" game for me.

What's all this "corporate bullshit" people keep talking about in this thread?
If it's the Xbox One [timed] exclusivity then all I can say is welcome to this side of the table as I sit here with my Xbox and watch all of these awesome-sounding PS4 exclusives (some timed, some permanent) go by. I'm sure you're all equally upset by the exclusivity on those, right?

If it's not that, can someone fill me in or link me to a story or something?

That is a good point; a lot of JP titles and JP published games wind up being PS4/PC only games and never come on X1. Though I feel the reason is due to the fact that JP don't sell very well on X1 (not like MS tried; they money hatted a lot of JRPG's early in the 360 life cycle but no one bit :l).

I feel exclusive or not, RotTR just came out at the wrong time. It was not going to top Fallout 4 sale wise and being put up against that was a really dumb move on Square and MS's part.

I also see the game not selling due to, well, the original reboot souring people off the series as a whole. While its core was strong and the gameplay itself was fine, the horrid story and radical departure from the original PS1 games and the Legend series on PS2/360 made original fans of the series not like the reboot.

Or in my case, people who enjoyed the reboot despite its large issues (story and gore factor in my case) willing to give it a shot isn't that pushed into getting a console just to play the game. I would honestly say exclusive wise right now, I want a X1; Sunset Overdrive, Ori and Rare Replay are fantastic and I would love to play those :D! But, I can only afford one Next Gen console and considering I want Ratchet & Clank, FFXV, Neir 2, and KH3, I will get a PS4.

Point is, a lot of factors was put up against RotTR from selling well and hopefully the game does better next year as the PC version will release and more people will be aware of the strong 360 version.

Wouldn't mind them taking a break to work on a different game before closing out the gen with a 3rd TR. Let TR bake for a little while, put out a few more thoughtfully designed "Lara Croft" arcade titles.

In the meantime, somethning else. Maybe I dunno. Something fantasy. With Vampires and time travel?

RK128

¡HarlequinPanic!;190070121 said:
Wouldn't mind them taking a break to work on a different game before closing out the gen with a 3rd TR.

Maybe I dunno. Something fantasy. With Vampires and time travel?

You mean Crystal Dynamics making a Legacy of Kain game on PS4, PC and X1 :D?

Yeah I don't hear many tears about how many sales From lost by not releasing Bloodborne on PC despite it being the lead platform for Dark Souls 2 sales. Here you are more likely to read about how the exclusivity is great because PC gamers ruin the souls community.

Yeah I don't hear many tears about how many sales From lost by not releasing Bloodborne on PC despite it being the lead platform for Dark Souls 2 sales. Here you are more likely to read about how the exclusivity is great because PC gamers ruin the souls community.

Nobody says that. Bloodborne is on PS4 only because From worked with Sony Japan, therefore making it a Sony game just like Demon's Souls. A little different than CD and Square who are both 3rd party making a deal very late in the game when every Tomb Raider before that had been on Playstation platforms. You can't compare the situations.

hawk2025

I'd like to see some examples of people saying PC gamers ruin the Souls community.

Bloodborne is not only a very different situation, but it also did not represent a giant drop on the series' numbers upon release, even accounting for a reduced number of platforms.

Do you actually have any information whatsoever to back up your post, or was it just a haphazard attempt at drawing a false equivalency?

I'm near the end of ROTR, and I'm enjoying the game for the most part, but like with TR2013 it's still not the Tomb Raider that I want. But for what it is, I like it as a game and it's definitely better than the previous one. Even if the way that the game and story progresses feels eerily similar to the last game, just in a different setting.

At the end of the day, though, I still have a problem with "tomb raiding" being an optional component of a game called Tomb Raider. Yes, the tombs are certainly bigger and better this time around, but it's still just a small fraction of the game.

I feel like this game has struck a better balance between combat, exploration, and the big action set-pieces. And I'd be fine with all of that remaining in this new era of Tomb Raider, but I feel like they could still do a much better job of taking what they have right now, and building a proper tomb raiding game around it. CD worked on Anniversary and they did Underworld, both of which I really liked, so I know they are capable of doing that sort of game.

So I think they deserve another shot. But even though ROTR marks an improvement over its predecessor, the games are so similar in design that simply doing another game just like these ones would be underwhelming, to me at least. I'm not sure I'd be very keen on a third reboot-era game unless they can make the tombs the focal point again. They don't have to blow it all up, just make the series' namesake matter more.

tuxfool

Banned
Yeah I don't hear many tears about how many sales From lost by not releasing Bloodborne on PC despite it being the lead platform for Dark Souls 2 sales.

You certainly do hear that from time to time. But the point being that Bloodbourne sold well on the PS4. ROTR didn't sell well on either XBoxen.

I'd like to see some examples of people saying PC gamers ruin the Souls community.

Bloodborne is not only a very different situation, but it also did not represent a giant drop on the series' numbers upon release, even accounting for a reduced number of platforms.

Do you actually have any information whatsoever to back up your post, or was it just a haphazard attempt at drawing a false equivalency?

There is at least one gaffer who is always going on about how PC gamers ruined the souls community but I don't want to either go through old posts or resort to random naming and shaming.

Whatever From sold they could have more than doubled it by going multiplat, easy. That's a lot of money they left behind that could of gone into funding future games that everyone could enjoy.

hawk2025

There is at least one gaffer who is always going on about how PC gamers ruined the souls community but I don't want to either go through old posts or resort to random naming and shaming.

Whatever From sold they could have more than doubled it by going multiplat, easy. That's a lot of money they left behind that could of gone into funding future games that everyone could enjoy.

Could have.

One gaffer? Are you fucking kidding me then? You made a sweeping generalization based on one guy you don't remember?

I don't know why I bothered engaging with your clear derailing attempt.

Wasn't Sony the ones that pitched the idea of Bloodborne to From Software? If so it makes sense why it's an exclusive. With Tomb Raider, Microsoft came to SE with bags of money to keep a nearly finished game off other platforms.

Could have.

One gaffer? Are you fucking kidding me then? You made a sweeping generalization based on one guy you don't remember?

I don't know why I bothered engaging with your clear derailing attempt.

Like I say I don't want to break down who is saying what in a huge database of neogaf posts from the last five years. Are you seriously expecting me to have that sort of data on hand in case one angry guy asks for evidence? Maybe some sad character working for a games publisher does that for a living but not me.

hawk2025

Like I say I don't want to break down who is saying what in a huge database of neogaf posts from the last five years. Are you seriously expecting me to have that sort of data on hand in case one angry guy asks for evidence? Maybe some sad character working for a games publisher does that for a living but not me.

I'm expecting you to not shitpost and derail threads.

tuxfool

Banned

No. But people also don't expect you to extrapolate evidence of group behaviour from a single sample point of one person.

Mooreberg

I find it funny how many people are saying how it's a shame they screwed this game over by making it exclusive. So much of a game's "narrative" online is written by the people who yell the loudest and then is spread outward. If the ps4 only owners would have been adults and thought to themselves "hm that's business and how the world works, besides I'll probably get to play it next year like the wording clearly reveals", then they wouldn't have caused a huge uproar that convinces others to basically boycott the game. It's only an issue because people made it an issue. I own both systems, but last gen I only had a PS3, and whenever a game was exclusive to Xbox I didn't whine...because I can see how big gaming businesses want to operate. It doesn't take much thought to step outside yourself and use your imagination to see that. Just because a game comes out on another system doesn't mean the next one will, and assuming that is the case is to be willfully immature. I feel like I'm taking crazy pills with how the Internet treats games as this personal business, when it's fucking entertainment and exists to make money.
It is fairly obvious that SE (or higher ups at CD) made decisions that negatively impacted the game's ability to make money. No amount of commentary from PS4 owners convinced Xbox One owners to keep it from being a top ten seller on its own (and for now, only) platform. Bad release date timing. Lousy bundle restricted to one retailer. And apparently, some strange decision making from SE where the PS4 version was delayed an additional six months. They now have to market the same game three different times.

No. But people also don't expect you to extrapolate evidence of group behaviour from a single sample point of one person.

I saw it happen enough for it to stick in my mind as an outlying opinion that came up often enough to be more than a one off statement. Anyway this reaction to my Bloodborne reference just reinforces the point that people do not have a uniform reaction to exclusives even though sales money is being lost either way. Maybe it's like piracy in that people care more when a game is being pirated if it is also seen as being on the ropes in terms of profitability. Maybe it's just that which is grinding people's gears, yeah let's be generous.

Ninjimbo

I mostly blame Fallout 4 for TR's bomba status. The way gamers nowadays fall into these hype cycles. The game was bad and it obliterates everything not named Call of Duty or Star Wars.

A lot of people really only have time and money for a few games a year, so props to Bethesda for making Fallout 4 one of those games. Hell, I bought both TR and Fallout on the same day against my better judgement just because I wanted to be part of the conversation. I knew that what Fallout offered isn't what I look for in games but I bought it anyway.

Tomb Raider ended up being an amazing experience while I ended up quitting Fallout early on.

Oh well, that's just the way things fall I suppose. CD hasn't produced a single bad game in the TR franchise so I'd be down for another one. I hope they get that chance since they've improved every single time.

I'm imagining Sony welcoming CD back into the fold by having the PS4 GOTY edition have a special DLC where Lara Croft runs into Nate and Elena and invites them on her next excursion and they're like "FUCK NO!" cause now Nate and Elena have adorable kids and Granddad Sully's in the car and Uncle Sam is being a bad influence on them.

Yeah.

Top Bottom