• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I just finished TLG and I'm a bawling mess. Help? (No spoilers)

BruceCLea

Banned
giphy.gif

It's always the music.

it totally is.

"Once. Twice. Three times a lady." That game made me think and feel something profoundly new and unique with games... multiple times, subsequently, in the latter portions but those moments were all delivered on the back of what it builds up and develops throughout.

Mupod

The ending had a bit less of an impact on me because I figured out where it was going
after it showed that shot of the freed helmetless Trico as you escaped.

Still though, the game felt like it was being unfair to me every time something bad happened to Trico. He's such a believable and endearing creature that I just got really goddamn angry, like if I'd caught someone torturing a cat.

You guys should watch the ending portions of some of the Let's Play videos on Youtube. It's like... my new hobby! There's a russian portuguese lady who
loses it during the end credits, regains some of her composure for the epilogue, and then completely loses it again when that's over.

The ending man. It's so
bittersweet it hurts.

Raylan

Banned
You guys should watch the ending portions of some of the Let's Play videos on Youtube. It's like... my new hobby! There's a russian lady who
loses it during the end credits, regains some of her composure for the epilogue, and then completely loses it again when that's over.

The ending man. It's so
bittersweet it hurts.

Link?

Yeah it is a tear jerker to be sure. Before that I cried a bit at the end of FFXV.
That mid credit cutscene during the final camp with your Bro's, oh I could not help but cry.

Last year, it was Life Is Strange that had me tearing up after a not-so-great start to the game.

You're not alone. I still see that lasting image of
Trico standing there bloodied and mangled calling out to the boy after giving him back to his village. Then he just flies away.
It broke my heart, and I just couldn't recover from that scene.

I feel you OP, this game made me cry uncontrollably and I was really surprised by this because this never happened to me in a movie or a game. Tears were just coming out of eyes and I couldn't hold them back at all.

This game left me destroyed, I was thinking about it for weeks and I just couldn't play any other game for a long while and to this day, I still think about this game throughout my day and it just makes me sad.

The music was one of the best things about this game for me, what a masterpiece. My soundtrack of the year. Takeshi Furukawa, hats off good sir.

The amount of respect and appreciation I have for Fumito Ueda can't be put into words.
I hope to god this won't be the last game from him.

This game is a Masterpiece and everyone with a Playstation MUST buy this game, I don't think any game will give me this experience again.

Fireblend

Banned
The ending had a bit less of an impact on me because I figured out where it was going
after it showed that shot of the freed helmetless Trico as you escaped.

Still though, the game felt like it was being unfair to me every time something bad happened to Trico. He's such a believable and endearing creature that I just got really goddamn angry, like if I'd caught someone torturing a cat.

Yeah, I think the game really accomplished something in making me care so much for Trico that the punishment for failure wasn't something mechanics-related like having to retry from a checkpoint, but knowing that a creature I cared about was in pain. For example with the armors, you know Trico will take care of them if you just fend for yourself and give it time, but you bet I was charging at those motherfucker spear throwers and literally felt like a failure every time one got to throw one. The game successfully integrated my conscience into its mechanics and I can't think of any other game having done so before.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
The part where
them cunts had him pinned down and there was nothing you could do had me legit traumatised. I was desperate to do something
, talk about player agency...........

if you want to play another game to "get the tears out", you should play BROTHERS A TALE OF TWO SONS.

(i would recommend going into that game blind.)

Brothers_A_Tale_of_Two_Sons_cover_art.jpg

100% agree

- Adventure puzzle game about a quest to save someone
- Unique fantasy setting
- Centered around the relationship between 2 characters
- Beautiful art style
- fantastic music
- Great puzzles
- Memorable locations
- Terrifying enemies
- Unbelievably good ending
- Emotional rollercoaster

Every fan of Ueda needs to give this game a go.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I feel you OP, this game made me cry uncontrollably and I was really surprised by this because this never happened to me in a movie or a game. Tears were just coming out of eyes and I couldn't hold them back at all.

This game left me destroyed, I was thinking about it for weeks and I just couldn't play any other game for a long while and to this day, I still think about this game throughout my day and it just makes me sad.

The amount of respect and appreciation I have for Fumito Ueda can't be put into words.
I hope to god this won't be the last game from him.

This game is a Masterpiece and everyone with a Playstation MUST buy this game, I don't think any game will give me this experience again.

We should be good. Ueda has said videogames are the only medium that can do his vision justice and he wouldn't get the same effect in manga or anime or movies. That and he's said he's got ideas for new games and that they hopefully won't take a decade to come out. I expect something with Sony as they seem to have a good relationship with him still and not like there are many other companies that would have supported a game like TLG for near on a decade.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzL_uMRDz7E&t=1s

Warning, she's a bit loud and obnoxious, in that typical Pewdiepie sort of way. Seems like a nice woman other than that though.

Her reactions were very genuine, I doubt I was much different.

I expect something with Sony as they seem to have a good relationship with him still and not like there are many other companies that would have supported a game like TLG for near on a decade.

I'm hoping they make another game with him, if the game had been badly received there would probably be no chance, but the fans loved it so maybe there's hope.

sora87

i cried too, OP. The final hour of that game was an emotional rollercoaster, and the very end, with the amazing music, set me off. Truly an incredible work of art.

My GOTY last year. Incredibly thought provoking game.

All the indies that have taken inspiration from Team Ico/Ueda games can't really do it the way they do.

;_;
Just thinking about it makes the emotions come.

Raylan

Banned
PewDiePie himself did a playthrough of the game and he gets pretty emotional and very into through out but he's also a big fan of Ueda's past work so not that surprising.
Yeah, and I loved it. He breaks character, is teary eyed and heavily emotional after the game. You can hear it. Awesome to watch :)

I didn't cry, but I came close, and it's very hard to make me cry over a game or movie or show. It was just a soaring, magnificent ending, and one I can't forget.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
We feel you 100% on this, OP. Since there are definitely more than a dozen of us by now lol. I personally was a fucking emotional wreck by the end and was legit going through the motions frantically as if my best friend's life depended on it. I was so god damn angry and legit screaming at my TV when
The other beasts started to tear him apart.
At that point I didn't even think, my body fully took over and just reacted as if
my own pet was being killed right before my eyes.
God damn thinking about it still makes me emotional as fuck.

genDESIGN are geniuses, we need more people like them in this industry. Games like this is what elevates the medium for me. Just nothing like it.

A staggering accomplishment. Captures the essence of love and friendship in a completely authentic way.
To cry at the ending is no surprise, but when you first help Trico to narrowly avoid a fall by removing the lumber blocking his foothold? I was shocked by a sudden rush of tearful relief and joy.
First time that's ever happened to me while playing a video game.

I didn't enjoy PewDiePie's playthrough all that much, he often got frustrated at the game for his own incompetence (like
when he took multiple tries to just get around the white tower because he can't platform for shit
)

Also, I didn't cry on my first time, but I did on my second.

i teared a bit myself, that's a first one with a video game. and sounds lame but damn, it hit hard on the childhood reminded me a lot of my dead shepard and i really liked the boy too

You guys should watch the ending portions of some of the Let's Play videos on Youtube. It's like... my new hobby! There's a russian portuguese lady who

The ending man. It's so
bittersweet it hurts.

Yeah, Link?

I played TLG right after finishing FFXV. What an emotional roller coaster that was. Back to back long awaited games with incredible endings that touched all the right emotions.

Fuck the haters, FFXV has the best ending in the entire franchise. In fact
FFXV had me bawling my eyes out way more than TLG. I sat there for minutes after the new title screen appeared crying. Then remembering what happened and crying again. FFXV slayed me I was almost out of tears to shed with
TLG which I finished exactly a week later.

Yep, truly a one-of-a-kind game. Also lost it when Trico was trying to revive the boy.

About a month later and still keep thinking about the game quite often.

There were some really emotional moments throughout the game. The last hour left me drained and into an ugly crying mess lol

I get emotional listening to the Epilogue and the Finale pt 2 from the soundtrack. Grr this game.

I love this game. I love Trico. I keep calling my cat Trico and he is not happy about it.

Unknown?

Legit, The Last Guardian makes you care about that danged Trico so much. But I think the most remarkable thing is that it makes you feel like that danged Trico genuinely cares about you too.

Fumito Ueda = wizard?
That was truly how I felt too! Worth the wait for sure! Glad Sony didn't cancel this!

Gbraga

I still didn't replay it, even though I really want to, just because I feel like I still need to give it more time.

Every time I rewatch the ending to see someone's reaction, I end up crying again.

It's incredibly powerful. This game is one of the greats, man.

Easily my GOTY 2016 and one of the best games I've ever played. It's brilliant.

I really hope genDESIGN works with Sony again. I'm actually more of a PC guy, but I just can't see anyone else doing them justice. I don't want to think "what could've been" when we get Ueda's next game. It needs to have the perfect environment to not hold it down.

I wrote my thoughts a little more extensively in the spoiler thread, in case anyone cares:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=227466716&postcount=1525

arimanius

I wanted to buy this game but I just had a feeling it was going to be a sad ending so I've been stalling. Thread made me glad I did now. Can't handle that right now.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I wanted to buy this game but I just had a feeling it was going to be a sad ending so I've been stalling. Thread made me glad I did now. Can't handle that right now.

I mean the ending is emotional but I know a lot of people are talking about tears of joy when they speak of it.

You might do well to wait but let me say this: The storytelling, scenes, and overall story treats the player with respect, is not a cheap story.

Edit: The sadness comes from Trico not beign a real animal and the only way you can live with him is by replaying the game, that's the most sad part of the game.

Top Bottom