• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I just finished TLG and I'm a bawling mess. Help? (No spoilers)

Rozart

I bawled, OP. I kept trying to blink my tears away but they just kept falling. Just thinking back to the ending is enough to get me misty-eyed again. The game allows the player to develop such a strong, authentic attachment to Trico and it never once feels forced or trite. That's why the ending is able to evoke such vivid and visceral emotions. Trico feels real. Thus, the bond that you share with Trico feels real too.

Not even being hyperbolic here but TLG truly is one of the gaming greats to me. It's such a masterfully crafted game. No other game released this gen has so many powerful and emotionally invigorating moments that would stick with me long after the credits roll. That moment where
Trico is finally able to fly and the music soars as it happens
is a particularly powerful one for me. The encounter with
the other beast in its own lair-- where you get to witness first-hand how downright terrifying these creatures can be
. The ending with
the boy weakly trying to call out to Trico as the villagers surround him...and having to tell him to leave after everything we've been through together.
That left me in tears. Heck, even the part where the boy
is unconscious but is still obviously very much alive (because who else is narrating the story if the boy dies halfway through the game) is so well-done. Not being able to do anything but watch as Trico desperately tries to wake the boy up
made my heart hurt.

Edit:

Bless this game. ;-;

arimanius

I mean the ending is emotional but I know a lot of people are talking about tears of joy when they speak of it.

One of the best gaming experiences, for sure.

It isn't like that. More.. bittersweet.

You might do well to wait but let me say this: The storytelling, scenes, and overall story treats the player with respect, is not a cheap story.

Edit: The sadness comes from Trico not beign a real animal and the only way you can live with him is by replaying the game, that's the most sad part of the game.

Well damn. Ok guys. If it's not like how I was thinking then I'll bite. Don't want to miss out on an awesome game.

Oh, lawd, that ending. Easily my favorite video game ending of all time. I was gritting my teeth so I wouldn't cry, but... yep. The 'Epilogue' music completely did me in, too.
Hilariously, I was sniffing so loud after the credits that I completely missed baby Trico's cry, and happened to be playing in a room with a bit of a glare from the sun, so I missed seeing the extra set of eyes. Of course, I still go pretty teary when I replayed the ending, but it was the extra happy kind of teary.

If you do what I say for that scene
Trico's horns will light up in the darkness

I still need to go back and do this, but I don't think I'd get through it without bawling. Such a clever moment of player interactivity, I had no idea.

I wanted to buy this game but I just had a feeling it was going to be a sad ending so I've been stalling. Thread made me glad I did now. Can't handle that right now.

It's hard to explain without spoiling, but TLG is a very emotional experience that is so very worth it, I don't think you'd regret it. I lost a dearly beloved pet in the last year, and nearly didn't pick up TLG because I thought it would hurt too much - TLG ended up being a gentle healing balm in a lot of ways.

Ratrat

I wanted to buy this game but I just had a feeling it was going to be a sad ending so I've been stalling. Thread made me glad I did now. Can't handle that right now.
Its a pretty uplifting ending overall. Unlike another goty contender that just leaves you feeling like shit.

arimanius

It's hard to explain without spoiling, but TLG is a very emotional experience that is so very worth it, I don't think you'd regret it. I lost a dearly beloved pet in the last year, and nearly didn't pick up TLG because I thought it would hurt too much - TLG ended up being a gentle healing balm in a lot of ways.

I think you guys have convinced me to pick it up. I was thinking the sad part was something else than what it is. So I can see how this may help like it did for you.

Its a pretty uplifting ending overall. Unlike another goty contender that just leaves you feeling like shit.

Yeah I'm sold. I'll pick it up this week.

BruceCLea

Banned
Update: I'm doing OK now. I'm just happy that this thread is everyone talking about their experience with the game in a positive way.

😺

Edit: I seriously need a Trico plushy.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Nearing the end of the game. I can feel myself loving Trico more and more.

Made this pic I took into phone Wallpaper:
The%20Last%20Guardian_20170116143030.jpg

Also took this to share:
The%20Last%20Guardian_20170116143117.jpg

Kaako

Felium Defensor
I think you guys have convinced me to pick it up. I was thinking the sad part was something else than what it is. So I can see how this may help like it did for you.
You will be an emotional wreck like the rest of us most likely but you'll be glad you go the chance to experience this beautiful and I mean utter beautiful journey.

If you appreciate arts and the video games medium, I feel that you owe it to yourselves to play this game just to see what this medium is capable of. The highs it hits is beyond what many even dare to dream of. Just nothing else like it really. And still fills me with emotions when writing/thinking about it. This connection and bond is absolutely the real deal.

Yi-So, Yi-Soi.
Every time I pet my sister's puppy now lol. This game...

I waited so long for this game. I was one of those who believed it was still coming when everyone else thought it was gone. I waited and I hoped, and it was finally reality. One of the big 3 of Sony's 2015 E3.

And boy was it worth it. What a masterpiece.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Hey, that's me.

Interesting note on that video. The most watched demographic in terms of country is Japan by a significant margin. More than North America and Europe (including the UK) combined.
Western world, am disappoint. Thanks for capturing it on video btw!

Toth

The last hour of the game makes TLG a masterpiece. The story hits all the right notes and that music...my goodness!

Just wish some of technical bugs could be worked out and some of the puzzles were more creative.

It's a must purchase for any Ps4 owner to experience it.

paulogy

This game is truly amazing. And it is neat to hear so many reactions as similar to my own. I hope everyone who loves games gets to experience it someday.

I do wonder how many people will get weeded out by the controls and camera and never finish. Those same people may watch the ending online, forever depriving themselves of these genuine feelings we have.

Cubed

Ugh! This game.

It's going to stick with me forever. Beat it over a month ago and still think about it at least once per day.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Yeah, I think it is uplifting. I don't mean to say it isn't crushingly sad, because it is. But the game (and the trilogy) is still all about hope. So I try to keep that in mind.

Edit: Christ. Anyone with a dog gets utterly destroyed by this game.

Danielsan

Put me in camp bawling his eyes out as well. The ending destroyed me. Especially after all the emotions during the end sequence.

gfxtwin

I love TLG and love Ueda. Dude is so interesting and downplays his talent/gift all the time. He's secretive and enigmatic so you don't know the extent of how interesting he is until one day, woah, turns out he got in a street fight (choreographed, but also real) as an art project, or turns out he made the promo CG trailers of ICO and SOTC pretty much totally on his own. He's just a true romantic storyteller and artist with lots of humanity. The closest thing to a Hayao Miyazaki or Steven Spielberg the gaming industry has I think.

And his next game will probably be even more amazing, after the lessons Gen Design learned during the development of TLG. Hopefully it takes place in the same dreamworld and is also more open world/sandbox, like SOTC.

WITHE1982

I'll sign myself up for any TLG counselling that's on offer. I was weeping for a good 20 minutes at the end. I watched it again on YouTube the next day in work and at the point
on the top of the tower before Trico takes his final flight with the boy
I had tears in my eyes and had to stop.

Easily one of the most moving gaming experiences I've ever had. In fact I've held off a second play-though just to stop myself turning into an emotional wreck again.

I agree with this. In fact any pet owner.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I love TLG and love Ueda. Dude is so interesting and downplays his talent/gift all the time. He's so secretive and enigmatic so you don't know the extent of how interesting he is until one day, woah, turns out he got in a street fight (choreographed, but also real) as an art project, or turns out he made the promo CG trailers of ICO and SOTC pretty much totally on his own. He's just a true romantic storyteller and artist with lots of humanity. The closest thing to a Hayao Miyazaki or Steven Spielberg the gaming industry has I think.

And his next game will probably be even more amazing, after the lessons Gen Design has learned during the development of TLG. Hopefully it takes place in the same dreamworld and is also more open world/sandbox, like SOTC.

I still want to see that FPS game he was talking about. Knowing him it would be about not firing a single shot the entire game and sparring all your enemies.

reson8or

Yeah, I think it is uplifting. I don't mean to say it isn't crushingly sad, because it is. But the game (and the trilogy) is still all about hope. So I try to keep that in mind.

Yup.

Dave_6

I've finished the game once and didn't want to rush to play through it again. The ending, or well the last ~30 mins, is very powerful. I've never played another game that has left me feeling this way. I've watched the ending maybe 20 times on YT and it gets me every single time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzL_uMRDz7E&t=1s

Warning, she's a bit loud and obnoxious, in that typical Pewdiepie sort of way. Seems like a nice woman other than that though.

Her reactions were great. I love how the SO hands her her cats for comfort and the cats are just looking around like "huh?" lol. Amazing. After beating the game I went on YT looking for reactions. I got sad watching other people get sad.

I want to pet him 😭

Krakin

I'm reading your reactions and getting teary eyed but I'm at work! OP, let me tell you something, I'm right there with you. I was a complete wreck. I cried so much I got a runny nose lol. I would have bawled but I did want to wake my wife XD.
What a masterpiece. Like many others this is a game I will never forget. What really destroyed me was
the determined look Trico has on his face, staring into the sun atop the tower, with the understanding that the only way he can save the boy is to bring him back to his village. Then when he flies into the sunset, a wind instrument kicks in and it's just glorious

DrewM1788

Man, the exact same thing happened to me. I held in the tears until after that credits scene and then it hit me like a ton of bricks. It's the first time I've ever sobbed at a video game and the worst part is that it was live on stream.

As embarrassing as it was, I had to put a video of it on YouTube because you're absolutely right in that it's a remarkable achievement:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umZdcG2LJQI

Dave_6

I just watched yet another play through of the ending. Man,
when Trico runs and flys out of the village and the music swells;
such a powerful moment.

Top Bottom