• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 2. Read OP, your 2500K will run Witcher 3. MX100s! 970!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pocks

Unless I'm horribly mistaken, wasn't AMD supposed to announce something yesterday?

Whatever happened to that?

It turned out to be an AMD India announcement, the details of which are old news elsewhere.

http://www.gizbot.com/tech-biz/amd-...repro-w9100-radeon-graphics-cards-019669.html

ByXz6idCAAAYjK7.png:large

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Will a 2500k at 4.4ghz be fine paired with a 970? I'm going to keep my secondary PC like that while I build a totally new one at the end of the year with hopefully even better stuff by then.

Ok, I've got a issue and hopefully you guys can weigh in and give me some advice on what best to do.

1. I have a i7 3770k system that is my main PC and game machine. I had a GTX 770 in there, but just bought two 970's to SLI.

2. I have a old i5 2500k system where I put my old GTX 770

3. I have been trying to test out my system and haven't really noticed any performance increase. So long story short, after some research my motherboard doesn't support SLI.

I need to get a new motherboard and in the process I'll get a new CPU as well. I'll get a i7 because why the hell not? I work right down the street from Microcenter, which has the best prices for CPUs so it's not as expensive to get a i7 either. So my real question is, which processor do I get, the numbering scheme has gotten really confusing since they went to Haswell.
Presuming it's your 3770k's mobo that won't work, I'd personally just buy a new mobo. Not to mention that 2500k is plenty fine for a modern rig too. (Thread title.) If you must buy a new i7, it's the 4790k you want.
Will a 2500k at 4.4ghz be fine paired with a 970? I'm going to keep my secondary PC like that while I build a totally new one at the end of the year with hopefully even better stuff by then.

That rig is good enough to be a primary PC.

Booshka

What's a good OC and voltage to work toward on a 3770K? 4.3ghz at 1.2ish Voltage, or can I go higher. I have a Z77 Sabertooth and plan on getting a Coolermaster Hyper 212 cooler when I do it.

PCPartPicker part list

CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($214.98 @ Newegg Canada)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($46.52 @ Newegg Canada)
Motherboard: ASRock H97M-ITX/AC Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard ($119.57 @ Newegg Canada)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($99.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($141.57 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($75.51 @ Newegg Canada)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB WINDFORCE Video Card ($170.77 @ Newegg Canada)
Case: BitFenix Prodigy (Black) Mini ITX Tower Case ($99.72 @ Newegg Canada)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 430W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($46.47 @ Newegg Canada)

Base Total: $912.91
Mail-in Rebates: -$65.00
Tax: $118.61
Total: $966.59 CAD

How does that look as a graphic design/music production machine? If there's anything that I could maybe shave off to save a few bucks but get similar performance I'm all ears. Also if any of these brands are terrible it'd be nice to know as well.

LilJoka

What's a good OC and voltage to work toward on a 3770K? 4.3ghz at 1.2ish Voltage, or can I go higher. I have a Z77 Sabertooth and plan on getting a Coolermaster Hyper 212 cooler when I do it.

Keep going, you will hit the temp limit before vcore limit. I run 4.2ghz 1.05v.

Addnan

If any UK Gaf is building a mid range -ish PC and is thinking of getting a 760 or similar price range card buy my Gigabyte GTX 770 2GB of me. £150 I'll get rid of it.

Thoraxes

Does anyone know if the regular 2011 socket coolers work with the new 2011v3 sockets?

Like, if I get a 5820k could I use the Corsair Hydro Series H60 Liquid cooler with it?

I'm assuming yes, but I have minor paranoia when it comes to everything working together, heh.

kharma45

I have a friend who's looking for a new Mac desktop for gaming. He's not a member here so I'm posting for him. He's not very tech savvy so he couldn't list any desired specs

Maximum budget: I'm not putting one, since I want to see how high the best laptop/desktop can go

Maximum Size: (He currently has a laptop) I have a 13inch MacBook now, which I like the size of. I would be shooting for that size again, but if a larger size laptop/desktop can offer better performance, I'd entertain it

Planned Usage: The newest games, the highest specs, the best resolution. Again, I don't want to put limits on any of that, since I want to see what is the best offered for gaming on a Mac desktop and then work my way down.

We need a budget, otherwise I could spec you something north of $10K.

Great, thanks, I guess an i5 will do, or is it better to future proof it with i7?

i5 4690K

Addnan

Does anyone know if the regular 2011 socket coolers work with the new 2011v3 sockets?

Like, if I get a 5820k could I use the Corsair Hydro Series H60 Liquid cooler with it?

I'm assuming yes, but I have minor paranoia when it comes to everything working together, heh.

yes

xBladeM6x

Seems I've finally found an acceptable and stable OC for my 980 SC. Apparently moving the Power Limit to 125% helped. Though I noticed that when playing BF4, I only really ever use / stay below 2GB even though the game is 3GB recommended VRAM on ultra. *shrugs*

jfoul

Unless I'm horribly mistaken, wasn't AMD supposed to announce something yesterday?

Whatever happened to that?

Nothing much came out of the event, like others have posted. Seems like price cuts on the current lineup, with better games added to the bundles until 390X(Fiji). Rumors right now are pointing to a release in the 1H of 2015. It would be awesome to see this card release on 20nm and use HBM.

AMD Radeon R9 390X Arrives In 1H 2015 – May Feature “Hydra” Liquid Cooling

AMD's R9 390X will not become available until the first half of 2015, but the GPU vendor has already started cutting some of its GPU prices to boost sales.

SHADES

Quick question regarding selling 2nd GPU's and warranty transfers.

I've just sold my EVGA 670 FTW (970 upgrade :) and removed my details from EVGA's website so that the new owner can carry over the warranty.

The new owner is asking about receipt details, in the event of a RMA where does the owner stand without a receipt? and is there a way around this?

LilJoka

Quick question regarding selling 2nd GPU's and warranty transfers.

I've just sold my EVGA 670 FTW (970 upgrade :) and removed my details from EVGA's website so that the new owner can carry over the warranty.

The new owner is asking about receipt details, in the event of a RMA where does the owner stand without a receipt? and is there a way around this?

Just give him the receipt. Been in this situation with many sellers, so annoying.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Ah, crud. I built that last year and I was hoping it would carry me into at least the second year of this gen. :/

Kriken

Not the best PSU. I'd grab the SSD now. This mobo and CPU combo is a better one from MC.

For up to $1K

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Micro Center)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI Z97-GAMING 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($110.00)
Memory: Patriot Viper 3 Low Profile Blue 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($67.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($109.97 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Hitachi Deskstar 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($73.49 @ Amazon)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($38.98 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Other: 770 2GB from GAF ($220.00)
Total: $890.40
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-09-26 20:10 EDT-0400

Leaves plenty of wiggle room

Sorry for the late response, but thanks for the advice.

For the PSU I just grabbed the cheapest one that PCpartpicker said was compatible and forgot that OC would not be accounted for in compatibility :/. Also, where do you see $110 for that motherboard?

Edit: Also for a monitor, how is this? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236174

Hey guys, would really appreciate some help because I haven't built a system in over a decade.

What I don't know is what motherboard to get. I bought an i5 4460, so that means no overclocking. I'm only aiming for midrange gaming, and that will be down the road (I'm just going to use the integrated GPU for now).

So I'm assuming that an H97 motherboard from ASUS or MSI or something like that will be okay? And okay if maybe I wanted to upgrade to an i7 down the road?

The rest of my parts so far:

• Fractal Design R4
  • Corsair RM450 Gold
  • Reusing an old Western Digital 1TB before I upgrade to an SSD/new drive
  • No RAM yet, but I'm assuming that won't be too complicated?

LilJoka

Hey guys, would really appreciate some help because I haven't built a system in over a decade.

What I don't know is what motherboard to get. I bought an i5 4460, so that means no overclocking. I'm only aiming for midrange gaming, and that will be down the road (I'm just going to use the integrated GPU for now).

So I'm assuming that an H97 motherboard from ASUS or MSI or something like that will be okay? And okay if maybe I wanted to upgrade to an i7 down the road?

The rest of my parts so far:

• Fractal Design R4
  • Corsair RM450 Gold
  • Reusing an old Western Digital 1TB before I upgrade to an SSD/new drive
  • No RAM yet, but I'm assuming that won't be too complicated?

You have bought the case and PSU?

kharma45

Sorry for the late response, but thanks for the advice.

For the PSU I just grabbed the cheapest one that PCpartpicker said was compatible and forgot that OC would not be accounted for in compatibility :/. Also, where do you see $110 for that motherboard?

Edit: Also for a monitor, how is this? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236174

Don't skimp on your PSU. Motherboard is 110 when bought from micro center as part of the i5 bundle.

No idea on that monitor.

Beaver

Neo Member
With the help of this thread, I finally got around to building this rig about two weeks ago:

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K Haswell Quad-Core 4.0GHz
CPU Cooler: STOCK
Motherboard: ASUS Z97-A LGA 1150 Intel Z97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX
Memory: CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
Storage: Intel 730 Series SSDSC2BP240G4R5 2.5" 240GB SATA 6Gb/s MLC SSD
Case: Corsair Graphite Series 600T Arctic White Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
Power Supply: CORSAIR CXM series CX750M 750W ATX12V v2.3 SLI

And I just pulled the trigger on an MSI 970 last night. But all's not good in paradise; I'm a bit worried about my temps and fan speeds. The PC runs beautifully, but there's always a constant whirring that I don't really notice with friends using similar builds. Using RealTemp, I see that it idles at 27-30C. I ran Prime95 for a day and, while there weren't any instabilities, it was running at around 85C.

I guess the reason I'm bothered is that, a day or two after building, the fans weren't this loud. Another thing that's irking me is that when they're running especially loud (but still at 27-30C, mind you), I check the task manager to see how heavy the load is, and it'll show 50% CPU load for a split second before it goes down to 0%.

For even more context, while I was building, I didn't have any thermal paste on me, so I just went with the stock that was already on the CPU fan that came with it. If that was insufficient, could the lowered heat conduction be causing strain on the fans to keep everything cool? Could this be as "simple" as a BIOS update? Any advice would be appreciated.

SHADES

Ah, thats a problem. You are not the original purchaser? If you bought it maybe you have some sort of online invoice?

The guy I brought it off kept hold of the receipt as he brought 2 to sli, decided against it and kept one. I've knocked on his door to ask for a copy of the receipt but he's since moved house.

So the warranty is only valid with a receipt? Even though the serial numbers match and EVGA can see the history of the card?

sangreal

With the help of this thread, I finally got around to building this rig about two weeks ago:

Case: Corsair Graphite Series 600T Arctic White Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

And I just pulled the trigger on an MSI 970 last night. But all's not good in paradise; I'm a bit worried about my temps and fan speeds. The PC runs beautifully, but there's always a constant whirring that I don't really notice with friends using similar builds. Using RealTemp, I see that it idles at 27-30C. I ran Prime95 for a day and, while there weren't any instabilities, it was running at around 85C.

I guess the reason I'm bothered is that, a day or two after building, the fans weren't this loud. Another thing that's irking me is that when they're running especially loud (but still at 27-30C, mind you), I check the task manager to see how heavy the load is, and it'll show 50% CPU load for a split second before it goes down to 0%.

For even more context, while I was building, I didn't have any thermal paste on me, so I just went with the stock that was already on the CPU fan that came with it. If that was insufficient, could the lowered heat conduction be causing strain on the fans to keep everything cool? Could this be as "simple" as a BIOS update? Any advice would be appreciated.

The stock fan on my haswell (4770k) was incredibly obnoxious. Not just loud, but high pitched. The thermal paste is fine, but the fan is trash. I upgraded to one of the corsair aio water-cooling solutions and never looked back

Keyouta

I'm going to be building a new system for a friend, he wants it to be a more high end machine. How's something like this look? I already kind of know what parts I'll be putting in the machine, but if anybody here could help make a better decision, then it would be appreciated! Around a $2K budget, but can go over a little.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($358.95 @ DirectCanada)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.19 @ DirectCanada)
Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty Z97X Killer ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($164.95 @ Vuugo)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($178.72 @ DirectCanada)
Storage: Crucial MX100 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($223.95 @ DirectCanada)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card ($431.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case ($99.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($154.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit) ($163.34 @ TigerDirect Canada)
Wireless Network Adapter: Asus PCE-AC66 802.11b/g/n/ac PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($79.88 @ Canada Computers)
Total: $1885.93
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-09-27 10:59 EDT-0400

Kezen

Banned

Pairing such a CPU with the stock fan makes no sense whatsoever. Get yourself a real cooler. A BIOS update won't fix anything, your stock cooler is letting you down, simple as that.

Beaver

Neo Member
Pairing such a CPU with the stock fan makes no sense whatsoever. Get yourself a real cooler. A BIOS update won't fix anything, your stock cooler is letting you down, simple as that.

Fair enough. I'll look into the heatsink from the OP. I just wasn't sure how big a difference stock was making. Thanks!

DontBlink

Here's a build I came up with that I will hopefully get to buy within a month. The total price is a little high for me, so are there any suggestion as to where I can lower the price but not give up too much performance?

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($279.99 @ Micro Center)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus Z97-A ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($82.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card ($355.91 @ Newegg)
Total: $888.87

Parts I plan to reuse from my current build:
Case: COOLER MASTER RC-692-KKN2 CM690 II Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
Storage: Samsung SSD 830 256GB and WD 256GB HD
Power Supply: Corsair TX 750W

For undervolting do you basically set vcore from auto to normal and use a negative offset in bios? I put in a -0.05 offset and intel extreme tuning stress went fine but in -0.06 and windows crashed during the test.

ricki42

While I agree with the better cooler, I think a BIOS update can help, at least if the voltages are set to 'auto'. My Z97-A came with an older firmware, and they have since released updates that improve compatibility with the 4790. I'm fairly certain that temperatures under load decreased after the update because some of the 'auto' voltages are now lower (I have played around so much with settings both in the BIOS and the OS that I don't remember the numbers).

How the hell does Shadows of Mordor juice 6GB VRAM at 1080p on ultra? Damn...

Witcher devs were saying on an unoptimized W3 that game is currently running around 30-40fps at 1080p on a 780 Ti(or was about a month or 2 ago).

Addnan

No Gigabye, MSI or Asus GTX970 cards on Amazon.co.uk?? I just got paid and want to do something stupid but I want to buy from Amazon ;_;

kharma45

Damn it, this is my prime moment to do something stupid but not so stupid as to order from Scan et al.

My biggest gripe with Amazon is that they never take part in GPU promotions either like the free game offers. They're the only one I trust for sending stuff back. Novatech have been fine the two times I've had to but I was only able to get them to pay postage the first time.

Addnan

My biggest gripe with Amazon is that they never take part in GPU promotions either like the free game offers. They're the only one I trust for sending stuff back. Novatech have been fine the two times I've had to but I was only able to get them to pay postage the first time.
Not too fussed about promotional games especially right now the 900 doesn't seem to have anything. The main reason I stick to Amazon for my GPU purchases is the incredibly easy refund you can get months down the line.

Addnan

What's wrong with Scan/others? I'll be buying parts soon, don't scare me.
Nothing particularly wrong, I usually buy from Scan. Amazon just have CS above and beyond what any of them can offer. Just such hassle free returns any time within 12 months should anything go wrong.

SugarDave

Which HDD should I go for? Both are exactly the same price with 7200RPM etc. but which is the most reliable? I did have the 1TB WD Blue in my basket but game file sizes are huge nowadays.

3TB Seagate Barracuda ST3000DM001
3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300

Also, what's with UK prices on pretty much all components steadily increasing over the last few days/weeks? We already get shafted on prices here without my CPU, PSU and RAM jumping up £10 each.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom