• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 2. Read OP, your 2500K will run Witcher 3. MX100s! 970!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dundar

hi guys, i'm looking into assembling this pc. I'm quite sure about CPU/GPU combo, but a little less about mobo, ram, cooling e psu. Can you tell me what do you think?

CPU: Intel i7-4790k

GPU: MSI - GeForce GTX 970 4 GB

Motherboard: MSI - Motherboard Z87-G45 GAMING (is it good? it comes at a nice price)

RAM: CORSAIR - Memory Dimm Vengeance Black 16 Gb (2x8Gb) ddr3 1866 MHz CL10 Unbuffered (what does "low profile" means? and "unbuffered"?)

HD: WESTERN DIGITAL - WD Blue 1 TB 7200 rpm

SSD: SAMSUNG - Solid State Disk 250 GB Series 840 Evo 2.5" Interface Sata III 6 Gb/s

DVD: SAMSUNG - DVD burner SH-224DB BEBE SATA 1.5Gbps Bulk

CASE: COOLERMASTER - Case HAF 912 Plus

PSU: XFX - Power supply 750 Watt Core Edition ATX 80 Plus Bronze

HEATSINK; Coolermaster hyper 212EVO

kharma45

hi guys, i'm looking into assembling this pc. I'm quite sure about CPU/GPU combo, but a little less about mobo, ram, cooling e psu. Can you tell me what do you think?

Motherboard: MSI - Motherboard Z87-G45 GAMING (is it good? it comes at a nice price)

RAM: CORSAIR - Memory Dimm Vengeance Black 16 Gb (2x8Gb) ddr3 1866 MHz CL10 Unbuffered (what does "low profile" means? and "unbuffered"?)

SSD: SAMSUNG - Solid State Disk 250 GB Series 840 Evo 2.5" Interface Sata III 6 Gb/s

Are you using PCPartpicker to get that build? If so post a link to it so we can see the prices.

Dundar

Are you using PCPartpicker to get that build? If so post a link to it so we can see the prices.

Just browsing an italian website, the only one with all the parts available.... 1400 euro(s) more or less. 330 euro the CPU, 370 the GPU, 120 the mobo, the standard stock prices for the other parts.

LilJoka

Ideally Z97 motherboard, Z87 may need a Bios update for it to boot a Devils Canyon chip.
SSD - Crucial MX100, considering the firmware bug on the Samsung,

Case/Mobo, could go mITX or mATX if youa rent planning to SLI. And same thing with the PSU, i recommend a 550W PSU if you arent running more than 1 GPU. And i dont recommend to SLI unless you get 2xGTX980's today. Otherwise be better to sell the GTX 970 down the road and buy a new single GPU solution.

You want unbuffered RAM, this means it doesnt have ECC, thats for severs, not needed for your normal machines. Low profile means its not got tall heatsinks so will be compatible with all large tower type CPU Coolers. You want low profile ideally.

ekgrey

Am I the only one who always thought PowerColor was actually PowerCooler? Like, PowerCooler would make sense. I don't even know what PowerColor is supposed to mean.

yeah, I made the same mistake for quite awhile. it's a pretty silly name.

edit: damn Smokey, you have the craziest issues. helps to offset my jealousy nicely. ;)

I'm so lazy with hardware maintenance nowadays. I have 2x 4GB RAM, but for the past month or two I only get 4GB. One stick isn't detected but I felt too lazy to open up my PC. I just opened Task Manager right now and found that I have 8GB again. Hooray I suppose.

Smokey

yeah, I made the same mistake for quite awhile. it's a pretty silly name.

edit: damn Smokey, you have the craziest issues. helps to offset my jealousy nicely. ;)

I think it's the board. I thought that a while ago, but I've been trying to go through process of elimination. Everything seems to be ok with 2 GPUs. When I add the third the lock ups happen. That tells me something is going on with power delivery. I have the additional 4 pin molex adapter plugged in too. This is supposed to give additional power to the PCIe lanes.

Streaming a few days ago and my PC locked up twice. One time it did through a BSOD and it gave me a "Memory_Management" error. I did mem tests and everything checked out. Then I was trying to play BF4 and got hit with another that said DPC_Watchdog_Violation.

Going to see what MC says because I'm out of ideas to try on my end.

ekgrey

honestly, your rig is so far above anything I'm likely to be playing with in the near future, I wouldn't know where to begin with troubleshooting. so many more things to go wrong. but I always pay attention to your problems and solutions because it's a great way to learn about stuff i don't have to
don't get to
mess with.

hope Micro Center gets you sorted.

So. How is color profiles not sticking in fullscreen games STILL AN ISSUE AFTER ALL THESE YEARS?

Why aren't Nvidia/Microsoft/developers doing something about it?

Games look terrible on ROG SWIFT PG278Q without a proper color profile. Is it that hard to keep a color profile?

xBladeM6x

honestly, your rig is so far above anything I'm likely to be playing with in the near future, I wouldn't know where to begin with troubleshooting. so many more things to go wrong. but I always pay attention to your problems and solutions because it's a great way to learn about stuff i don't have to
don't get to
mess with.

hope Micro Center gets you sorted.

I'm calling that he has a small piece of cheese wedged into the third PCI-E slot. :3

Booshka

Looking to buy a headset, have around £60 ish to spend can go above or below that.

Any help?

Superlux HD 681 Headphones and Zalman Clip mic is my personal suggestion. Cost me $40 overall and the headphones are way better quality than any gaming headset I have ever had. Zalman clip mic is pretty good as well, good clarity, clips onto the Headphone cable easily too. Although, you will pick up background noise and probably have to put a Mic Boost from your Sound controls, so if you don't have any audio coming in, you will hear a low whine from the Mic Boost.

axb2013

Is there a decent sub $600 build available? Mostly looking to play the wow expac and ideally some new releases on medium settings.

If you are willing to consider some used components, you are more flexible within given budget. There are few communities like the for sale/trade sub forums on prominent hardware sites. Some people insist on new components, especially ones they physically interact with on a daily basis but a used mobo, power supply or CPU allow for minor miracles within given budget.

Smokey

This process is going to determine if I continue to give Asus my business or not going forward. I've had issues with their customer service in the past and it's not off to a good start today. I called the customer support line and was given another number to call for GPUs and motherboards. I called that number and have been on hold for 48 minutes. Then it kicks me off and auto routes me back to the original number that I called.

So that's strike 1.

jfoul

I think this is the cheapest I've seen this new.

$88 @ Amazon - Corsair Hydro Series H105
RBvjKr1l.jpg

Having some weird behavior with my reference GTX 980. I've been playing bf3 campaign just to kind of test it out and my temps seem strange. Normally during idle, the card sits at about 38C. During bf3 gameplay, it hits 80C. My fan on the card usually idles at 1200rpm (26%) and during gameplay it spins at 1900 rpm (45%). I never even hear the fan during gameplay. Shouldn't the fan be working harder since the temps are getting so high?

x3sphere

Having some weird behavior with my reference GTX 980. I've been playing bf3 campaign just to kind of test it out and my temps seem strange. Normally during idle, the card sits at about 38C. During bf3 gameplay, it hits 80C. My fan on the card usually idles at 1200rpm (26%) and during gameplay it spins at 1900 rpm (45%). I never even hear the fan during gameplay. Shouldn't the fan be working harder since the temps are getting so high?

No, 80C at load is normal. The cooler is designed to maintain that temp at default settings. You could setup a custom fan profile in Afterburner to get cooler temps, but 80 C is totally fine.

ekgrey

This process is going to determine if I continue to give Asus my business or not going forward. I've had issues with their customer service in the past and it's not off to a good start today. I called the customer support line and was given another number to call for GPUs and motherboards. I called that number and have been on hold for 48 minutes. Then it kicks me off and auto routes me back to the original number that I called.

So that's strike 1.

that's fucking horrible. looks like I'll be sticking with Corsair and EVGA for my new year's upgrades.

neoism

So guys not sure where else to post this but here goes also sorry for any spell mistakes or whatever I'm using my phone.
So I got an 1080p HDTV Emerson TV for my ps4 but mainly the only reason was that it had a VGA port in the back so I could use it for my computer monitor. The tv worked fucking great for like 3 weeks it even looked amazing as a computer monitor but the remote died on me and I found out not one fucking button on the back worked. We'll probably one of the most aggregating times I had was last night I want and got it replaced with the same one come home the screen was totally fucked -___- go back to replace that one come home the motherfucking remote is dead out of he box rageface.
Soo my main question is about my card my PC is getting old 5 years, I have a R5870 I've only ever used the VGA in the back but it has an hdmi port. Could I use that but just for video and just use my regular speakers for sound. I heard it has problems sometimes and I'm not really sure. I really don't want to get another tv just for one reason and not get to use it as a monitor. It seems HDTVs don't really have VGA ports anymore. Also stay fucking away. From the Emerson brand fucking worst tv company ever :*(

Any help would be great thanks guys

So, this is the build that I'm planning that I was hoping just to get a little help with. Stuff in italics is already purchased.

I only want to do midrange gaming - no SLI, overclocking, or crazy resolutions. I may not even buy the video card or SSD for a while (using a 1TB HDD I already have).

What I wanted to know is if it made sense to get the H97 motherboard, or if getting a Z97 made more sense in case I wanted to upgrade later and then overclock - say in 3 years or so?

Otherwise, is this a reasonable system for just surfing the web, Netflix, watching Blu Rays - and maybe down the road with a new video card (like a "960", assuming it comes), perhaps playing Assassin's Creed Unity at console-level quality?

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.95 @ NCIX) BOUGHT
Motherboard: Asus H97-PLUS ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($111.58 @ DirectCanada)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($83.36 @ DirectCanada)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($138.98 @ DirectCanada)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB WINDFORCE Video Card ($144.99 @ NCIX)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($88.98 @ Amazon Canada) BOUGHT
Power Supply: Corsair RM 450W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($104.98 @ Newegg Canada) BOUGHT (at $50 after MIR)
Optical Drive: LG UH12NS30 Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer ($44.99 @ Canada Computers)

Total: $917.81

Edit: oh forgot to mention that I got the Fractal case and Corsair power supply bc of noise, even though I know, re the case at least, it's overkill.

Addnan

So guys not sure where else to post this but here goes also sorry for any spell mistakes or whatever I'm using my phone.
So I got an 1080p HDTV Emerson TV for my ps4 but mainly the only reason was that it had a VGA port in the back so I could use it for my computer monitor. The tv worked fucking great for like 3 weeks it even looked amazing as a computer monitor but the remote died on me and I found out not one fucking button on the back worked. We'll probably one of the most aggregating times I had was last night I want and got it replaced with the same one come home the screen was totally fucked -___- go back to replace that one come home the motherfucking remote is dead out of he box rageface.
Soo my main question is about my card my PC is getting old 5 years, I have a R5870 I've only ever used the VGA in the back but it has an hdmi port. Could I use that but just for video and just use my regular speakers for sound. I heard it has problems sometimes and I'm not really sure. I really don't want to get another tv just for one reason and not get to use it as a monitor. It seems HDTVs don't really have VGA ports anymore. Also stay fucking away. From the Emerson brand fucking worst tv company ever :*(

Any help would be great thanks guys
I don't see why that would be a problem. I run HDMI for video and my speakers are plugged into my sound card for audio.

Weevilone

So that's strike 1.

I swore off Asus for years after having a bad experience with a failed MB that never did get replaced via warranty. Like an idiot, I finally came back this year and was immediately burned again. I've never had such bad customer service. Had I not used a contact that reviews their products for a major website, I'd still be screwed.

SugarDave

I'm looking for a 1080p 60Hz monitor to go with my build currently as I'd rather wait until higher resolution/refresh rate displays become a bit more affordable. The consensus seems to be to go with an IPS panel and I've been eyeing up the Asus PB238Q. Does anyone have an particular recommendations?

Also, are the Corsair CX range of power supplies good? I did have the EVGA G2 in my list but it seems like overkill for what I'm getting.

xBladeM6x

I'm looking for a 1080p 60Hz monitor to go with my build currently as I'd rather wait until higher resolution/refresh rate displays become a bit more affordable. The consensus seems to be to go with an IPS panel and I've been eyeing up the Asus PB238Q. Does anyone have an particular recommendations?

Also, are the Corsair CX range of power supplies good? I did have the EVGA G2 in my list but it seems like overkill for what I'm getting.

Corsair HX is probably more of what you're looking for. (Assuming you're gaming)

So that's strike 1.

Good luck You will need it:

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1764403

Just a year ago when I was deciding between a Xbox and ps4, the pc never crossed my mind. It was the age old excuse of "it cost too much(mind you every time I put parts together on websites, I chose the most expensive parts thinking that will grant me the best pc)". Well after a year of switching between a ps4 and Xbox one, I decided to put the right research into pc gaming and found out that you can build a killer for the same price and enjoy games so with that in mind, I bring you "The Creepy Uncle" :
PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/rZ8pD3
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/rZ8pD3/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Pentium G3258 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor ($57.00)
Motherboard: MSI Z87-G41 PC Mate ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 250GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($25.49 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Video Card ($121.00)
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($41.51 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 430W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($15.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $340.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-09-28 15:10 EDT-0400

Note:Ram came free with the motherboard, the cpu was used, the video card was used

Smokey

I swore off Asus for years after having a bad experience with a failed MB that never did get replaced via warranty. Like an idiot, I finally came back this year and was immediately burned again. I've never had such bad customer service. Had I not used a contact that reviews their products for a major website, I'd still be screwed.

It's definitely irritating. I didn't even get to talk to anyone and I know they are open on the weekends. Their site has their hours. Nearly a hour of wasted time only to be thrown back to the original number in the first place is poor service.

Jesus

I've never had this happen but I have had to deal with them on a previous board RMA. It is one of the reasons I got the Microcenter protection plan. I did not want to deal with them again. Unfortunately MC doesn't stock the R4BE anymore. At least not from what I can see on their website.

Will head up to MC later and see what I can do.

Started messing around a bit with SpeedFan today to tune my fan speeds. Damn that program is awesome, basically turned my PC into a semi-silent build now. Fan control on my board sucks, so I am glad it exists.

appaws

Banned
Is there a decent sub $600 build available? Mostly looking to play the wow expac and ideally some new releases on medium settings.

I think more so now than ever probably. The Pentium Anniversary and something like an R9 270 represents a ton of value for the money....and is pretty damn capable for 1080p gaming.

Like this:

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/vLxNsY
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/vLxNsY/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Pentium G3258 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor ($69.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial M500 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($115.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Green 1TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Asus Radeon R9 270 2GB DirectCU II Video Card ($165.38 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Antec Basiq 430W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply ($44.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $641.29
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-09-28 16:00 EDT-0400

I went a little over $600, really wanting to get a decent SSD in there....

Kieli

It's definitely irritating. I didn't even get to talk to anyone and I know they are open on the weekends. Their site has their hours. Nearly a hour of wasted time only to be thrown back to the original number in the first place is poor service.

Please do keep us updated, Smokey.

I've pretty much shortlisted the ASUS brand for purchase, but I'm getting second thoughts after your (and other people's) issues with their customer service.

If it comes down to this, I'll either get the EVGA ACX2.0 or pay a slight premium for MSI.

IMACOMPUTA

I think more so now than ever probably. The Pentium Anniversary and something like an R9 270 represents a ton of value for the money....and is pretty damn capable for 1080p gaming.

Like this:

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/vLxNsY
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/vLxNsY/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Pentium G3258 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor ($69.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial M500 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($115.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Green 1TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Asus Radeon R9 270 2GB DirectCU II Video Card ($165.38 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Antec Basiq 430W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply ($44.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $641.29
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-09-28 16:00 EDT-0400

I went a little over $600, really wanting to get a decent SSD in there....

Whats the reason for paying $4 more for the 240gb m500 over the mx100 256gb?

Wolfie5

Is there some texture glitches with Arkham Origins? I started playing this game with my new card GTX970 and some weird texture glitches started to happen. I got worried thinking there is some heating issue with my card and closed the game. Looked at my temps and it was between 50-60, which is good.

Played a little more demanding game, Last Light and there was no problem playing that game. Went back to Origins, same problem came back

Is there some setting I should turn off or is there no fix? I am assuming this is a problem with this game and not my hardware, right?

This morning my ~2 month old computer suddenly stopped booting.

When I press the ON button on the case the LED surrounding it lights up for a couple seconds, turns off for a second, turns back on for a few seconds, etc.

Inside, the computer seems to be turning on but unable to boot. The rear fan doesn't turn on but the other 2 case fans and the CPU fans do turn on. They rev as if the computer is trying to boot but can't. Nothing appears on the monitor. This keeps going until I turn it off by pressing the power button on the case.

Case: Define R4
Board: Gigabyte z97x ud3h

Any thoughts?

xBladeM6x

This morning my ~2 month old computer suddenly stopped booting.

When I press the ON button on the case the LED surrounding it lights up for a couple seconds, turns off for a second, turns back on for a few seconds, etc.

Inside, the computer seems to be turning on but unable to boot. The rear fan doesn't turn on but the other 2 case fans and the CPU fans do turn on. They rev as if the computer is trying to boot but can't. Nothing appears on the monitor. This keeps going until I turn it off by pressing the power button on the case.

Any thoughts?
Sounds like your PSU may have died.

IMACOMPUTA

Doing a new cheaper build.

What are the potential problems with going AMD? Im thinking of getting a 270x

Is it just driver support is slower?

I think Nvidia's software suite just adds a lot of value. (shadowplay, gamestream, gsync, etc.) and sometimes AMD's driver hotfixes lag behind.

270x is a good choice in that price range, though.

Noob question -

I have a GTX 760 output via DVI to my ASUS monitor now. I have a spare Samsung 32" tv that isn't being used; can I dual monitor with these 2 (Asus through DVI as primary and Samsung through HDMI as secondary?)

ricki42

Any thoughts?

Do you have all 3 fans connected to the fan controller? You could try disconnecting the fan that doesn't work or the whole controller.

Soodanim

Gold Member
I finally have money enough for a build. I will be for 1080p 60hz gaming, and I have a monitor already. But I need your help, PC-GAF. Please help.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

The standard stuff that doesn't really need much looking at because it's what everyone seems to get:
CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (£171.54 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£24.96 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£74.39 @ Aria PC)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£37.50 @ Aria PC)

What I'm not 100% on and would like help with:
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LP 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory (£69.36 @ Scan.co.uk)
-1600 is fine, right? I know that is 1866, but the 1600 version is on Amazon for roughly the same price.
Motherboard: MSI Z97-GAMING 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£99.56 @ Scan.co.uk)
-This is a big one. There are so many motherboards out there and reviews get far too technical for me. The Gaming 5 seems to be decent enough in terms of ratings, but by alll means please recommend something else. I'd rather not pay £120+, but if it's justifiable then it can be done.
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card (£274.99 @ Ebuyer)
-This doesn't require much decision. The only reason I'd pay £15-25 more for the Gigabyte one is because being a UK company it would likely simplify things in the event that it is faulty.
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case (£67.34 @ Aria PC)
-It's only not set in stone because I don't know if there is anything newer and better out there. But the clean design, dust filters and noise dampening are all things that draw me in.
Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (£49.93 @ CCL Computers)
-Again. If there's a preferable alternative, let me know.
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/RSBS DVD/CD Writer (£12.76 @ CCL Computers)
-Same as above. I only really need it to rip my CD collection and install some games I have on disc (that I could just re-buy on Steam for how much they'd all cost - it's only HL2, Manhunt, Vice City, and a 9 game THQ pack I got for £8).
Total: £882.33
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-09-28 21:38 BST+0100

I'm thinking of overriding a number of items to Amazon so that it's mostly from one retailer I'm familiar with and I know has decent customer service. I'm worried that if I ever have problems then some of the UK online retailers won't be as friendly and straightforward as Amazon are. Does anyone have experience with places like Scan, Ebuyer and Aria for returning faulty items? What about GPU RMAs?

Edit: I need a WiFi card too. Any recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom