• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 2. Read OP, your 2500K will run Witcher 3. MX100s! 970!

Status
Not open for further replies.

appaws

Banned
Hey Smokey, If you don't mind me asking...what do you do for a living IRL...?

You seem to have fat loots....are you a trust fund baby of some sort...? Internet gazillionaire...? Mr. Scarface formerly of the Geto Boys...?

Aside from the $ factor, do you have a significant other who will get mad and deny you the sweet sweet lovin' if you spend too much cash...?

I'm an attorney married to a doctor and I get nervous about dropping loads of cash the way you seem to. It's awesome for ya, though.

Fedelias

Hopefully this is the right place to post this. I've got a couple monitor questions. I'm looking for a monitor right now, but I can't seem to find one suited for me. I want 1080p and low latency and all the usual jazz, but I also need it to have a usb port. My budget is also around $300. Also, if the monitor has one hdmi port, can I plug an hdmi splitter in and have multiple things connected (consoles+pc)? Thanks if you answer and sorry if this is the wrong place to ask :)

Dries

Dont read too much into that message, it can occur when removing the power from a machine in some instances.

Go back to the settings you had previously and run Prime95 for a few hours. Tweak from there. You wont break things if you take a shot in the dark, but its unoptimal in terms of stability and cpu life.

Also not sure waht CPU you have but 4.1Ghz should be near stock Vcore. So work that out first in CPUz.

Asking all users: Which Prime95 tests should I run and for how long?

my stock CPU is 3.3 ghz btw, but my Clock Ratio was set to 37 before any over clocking.

jett

D-Member
What's a safe speed to set a 4670k on air (using a coolermaster 412)? I haven't bothered OC'ing at all yet. Hell, I don't even know how. :p

Smokey

Hey Smokey, If you don't mind me asking...what do you do for a living IRL...?

You seem to have fat loots....are you a trust fund baby of some sort...? Internet gazillionaire...? Mr. Scarface formerly of the Geto Boys...?

Aside from the $ factor, do you have a significant other who will get mad and deny you the sweet sweet lovin' if you spend too much cash...?

I'm an attorney married to a doctor and I get nervous about dropping loads of cash the way you seem to. It's awesome for ya, though.

lol

IT. Fiance doesn't mind too much...although maybe that's because I don't reveal things to her unless she asks! Then I just start talking jargon until she eventually says "ok!" and leaves the room.

I'm not rich. It's just a hobby that I like being on the edge of and enjoy trying new things. One of the nice things about the PC is you can pretty much do what you want or set up a configuration in whatever way you see fit. I've tried pretty much every configuration out there from 4k to a 120hz NV Surround setup. I like to speak on things that I have experience with and you can't do that unless you try it for yourself. Most of my changes have been on the GPU side, and that's because it's relatively easy to flip those for something new. It's something that I find fun to do and talk about. Except when things go wrong.

jett

D-Member
I'd recommend what they call a CPU Roller. I know, stupid name. Helps lift it off the floor enough to keep dust/lint out. Has worked well for me:

Like this one on Amazon.

I have a HAF 922, yours looks similar to my case, I imagine it's just as noisy. How do you deal with the noise from the fans and whatnot due to it being so open? Or do you just deal with it? :p The noise coming from my GPU it's too much when playing any demanding game (280X). I'm either considering moving it further away from my desk/gaming setup(which would involve buying longer cables and other stuff to make it work) or getting a new case altogether, which is a headache of its own.

appaws

Banned
lol

IT. Fiance doesn't mind too much...although maybe that's because I don't reveal things to her unless she asks! Then I just start talking jargon until she eventually says "ok!" and leaves the room.

I'm not rich. It's just a hobby that I like being on the edge of and enjoy trying new things. One of the nice things about the PC is you can pretty much do what you want or set up a configuration in whatever way you see fit. I've tried pretty much every configuration out there from 4k to a 120hz NV Surround setup. I like to speak on things that I have experience with and you can't do that unless you try it for yourself. Most of my changes have been on the GPU side, and that's because it's relatively easy to flip those for something new. It's something that I find fun to do and talk about. Except when things go wrong.

Good point. I'm always surprised at the high resale value of a lot of GPUs.

I enjoy your contributions here as the resident high-end, early adopter guinea pig. You into water cooling at all..?

The Enthusiast build from the OP pretty much fits exactly what you're looking for.

As a matter of fact it's more or less what I've already got as a partlist :p

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($279.99 @ Micro Center)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 55.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($123.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($159.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($134.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Red 3TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($124.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Superclocked ACX Video Card ($479.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Phanteks PH-ES614P_BK ATX Full Tower Case ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: XFX XTR 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($94.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $1550.91
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-12 02:05 EDT-0400)

(the case is the Enthoo Pro, and I'm open to any value maximization possible - particularly with the motherboard because I don't know what the christ the difference is between all of these Z97 models)

It's Intel so most likely never

srry Mutes

intel and nvidia most likely have some kind of pact in place to torture their early adopting customers

I am literally going to die unless the skylake series has an 8 core CPU. If I have to wait another year for skylake-E or something I will implode in my chair.

Haswell processor gotta do me for like 2 years unless there's some pressing reason to upgrade sooner. Thank god I don't care about ubishit busywork simulators.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I really, really like the Silencio 352.
The 352 is a great case, it's essentially the same as the N200 but designed for quietness rather than cooling. Nice design and great internal layout too.
Would be nice IF I COULD BUY IT IN THE US. CM rep said in June 'lol dunno'. Gotta clear that N200 NA stock I guess. Does look better.
This post reminds me...the EVGA SuperNova G2 850/1300 should be added into the OP. They are really good PSUs (made by SuperFlower) and come in at good prices. Not sure if their previous PSUs ruined their name, but their G2 line is really solid.
The EVGA PSUs are pretty good, but the V750 right now is just stupid. Also the metal bar on the EVGAs... I'm split on it. It looks stupid but it does seem useful (although I'm not sure I'd trust it 30lbs on it).
I was just going to start an AMD build but then the G3258 came along. The end result is pretty simple, I just would like to keep the funds down.

The plan I have so far is the G3258 and ASRock Z97 (Gaf favorite?). The only thing that's boggling me down is the GPU only because of the cost.

Your Current Specs: N/A
Budget: Prefer ≤$450 but no more than $525ish.
Main Use: Gaming and Netflix.
Monitor Resolution: Got a monitor. Dat 1080p. Might swap between that and a TV though.
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Fallout 3 modded and max, Ori and the Blind Forrest, CS:GO, Skyrim.
When will you build?: Next 3 months
Will you be overclocking?: Yes
ASRock Z97 isn't a favorite, it's just the cheapest and probably competent.

Pentium
ASRock Z97
8GB RAM (Find something on sale that is 1.5V)
R7 265
1TB HDD
VP450 or B500/B600 / some CX PSU on rebate for $40
Source 210/220/Comrade

You can save $ by buying RAM used, but that's about it.
Hopefully this is the right place to post this. I've got a couple monitor questions. I'm looking for a monitor right now, but I can't seem to find one suited for me. I want 1080p and low latency and all the usual jazz, but I also need it to have a usb port. My budget is also around $300. Also, if the monitor has one hdmi port, can I plug an hdmi splitter in and have multiple things connected (consoles+pc)? Thanks if you answer and sorry if this is the wrong place to ask :)
Sounds like you want a low latency / input lag IPS panel with USB ports, can't help specifically on top of that. I think DELL is the safe bet here? Monitors not my strong suit for fishing out recs apart from a few good ones I know.
Asking all users: Which Prime95 tests should I run and for how long?

my stock CPU is 3.3 ghz btw, but my Clock Ratio was set to 37 before any over clocking.
I run it for about 10 minutes then bump it up.
What's a safe speed to set a 4670k on air (using a coolermaster 412)? I haven't bothered OC'ing at all yet. Hell, I don't even know how. :p
I'm not rich. It's just a hobby that I like being on the edge of and enjoy trying new things. One of the nice things about the PC is you can pretty much do what you want or set up a configuration in whatever way you see fit.
It's also a heck of a lot cheaper than a lot of other hobbies and everything is resalable without massive loss if you rotate enough.
As a matter of fact it's more or less what I've already got as a partlist :p

(the case is the Enthoo Pro, and I'm open to any value maximization possible - particularly with the motherboard because I don't know what the christ the difference is between all of these Z97 models)
I wouldn't drop in a DC i7 with a 4 phase board. It just seems wrong. I mean it is fine, but you went an SLi board I'm guessing to go SLi later. If you want to OC I would go another board as well.
Z97 Gene / Hero? UD5H?
REDs are NAS drives, I still haven't checked if turning off some command is enough to use them nicely for home use or not. HDDs are hard now to pick one out to recommend.
I'd get a V850 instead for PSU.
I am literally going to die unless the skylake series has an 8 core CPU. If I have to wait another year for skylake-E or something I will implode in my chair.

Haswell processor gotta do me for like 2 years unless there's some pressing reason to upgrade sooner. Thank god I don't care about ubishit busywork simulators.
Only 2 years at this pace, yeah, that'll be a huuuuuuuuge problem.

riflen

I enjoy your contributions here as the resident high-end, early adopter guinea pig. You into water cooling at all..?

At the rate he changes GPUs, he'd spend all his time draining, refilling, leak testing and installing GPU blocks.

I wouldn't drop in a DC i7 with a 4 phase board. It just seems wrong. I mean it is fine, but you went an SLi board I'm guessing to go SLi later. If you want to OC I would go another board as well.
Z97 Gene / Hero? UD5H?
REDs are NAS drives, I still haven't checked if turning off some command is enough to use them nicely for home use or not. HDDs are hard now to pick one out to recommend.
I'd get a V850 instead for PSU.]

As far as SLI goes I think I'm gonna wait until my third build (c. 2017) to do that, in which case I'd be good with 650W or possibly even 550W this time around.

Given that point about VRM phases (...and the above point about no SLI this time) I'm going to swap that board out for a UD5H.

Secondary hard drive's gonna be a complete crapshoot, though I should note the SA counterpart to this thread has WD Reds as their >2TB drives of choice (even for non-NAS) - and a quick Google's telling me standalone Reds should be suitable for desktop usage as long as TLER's disabled.

either that or I get a Green and fuck around with its firmware

The R7 260 is a bit of an underwhelming upgrade option but the 265 looks promising; will I benefit from going for a 2GB model over a 1GB model at this level?

I'd say so. 1GB is very small these days for GPU's. Hell, we have people concerned about having 3GB lol. 2-3GB is still good for 1080p though and if you don't have massive Skyrim mods.

Edit: Does a 1GB version even exist for the 265? All I see is 2GB ones on Newegg. I see that the 260x has 1GB versions though.

How much can you spend?

Around $170 is the tops I'd probably set aside for it..

The AMD line of cards are particularely confusing. The R9 260X is a Bonaire (faster 7790?) and the 265 is a Pitcairn (faster 7850?)? Is there a good reference for their current line of cards, performance, and GPU used (with generation details etc.)?

2Gq4ycz.png

b0bbyJ03

lol

What is the sweet spot for reselling time wise? I just built my first PC and I'm already addicted. Bought a Galaxy gtx 780 HOF edition. I'd also like to flip it when the new stuff comes out. How much value (percentage) should I expect to loose from msrp. Also, do u switch between AMD and Nvidia?

kharma45

Around $170 is the tops I'd probably set aside for it..

The AMD line of cards are particularely confusing. The R9 260X is Bonaire and the 265 is Pitcairn (basically a 7850?) but somehow still faster? Is there a good reference for their current line of cards, performance, and GPU used (with generation details etc.)?

R9 270 for $150 http://www.ncixus.com/products/?usa...=CGAX-R927614&manufacture=Club3D&promoid=1068

The 265 is faster as it's clocked higher than the 7850.

As for that, umm, TPU do this which might help http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/R9_270_Direct_Cu_II_OC/26.html

R9 270 for $150 http://www.ncixus.com/products/?usa...=CGAX-R927614&manufacture=Club3D&promoid=1068

The 265 is faster as it's clocked higher than the 7850.

As for that, umm, TPU do this which might help http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/R9_270_Direct_Cu_II_OC/26.html

This has been incredibly helpful, thank you very much. The R9 270 is looking very attractive indeed.

One last question: If I should choose to pay less, say around 120 - is there any reason why I should go for the 260X instead of the 265? I know that Bonaire is a much newer GPU with lots of additional features, so does the performance gap justify going for an older but faster chip?

riflen

This has been incredibly helpful, thank you very much. The R9 270 is looking very attractive indeed.

One last question: If I should choose to pay less, say around 120 - is there any reason why I should go for the 260X instead of the 265? I know that Bonaire is a much newer GPU with lots of additional features, so does the performance gap justify going for an older but faster chip?

If you're interested in Adaptive Sync functionality that's in the long-term pipeline, then the 260X is the better choice. AMD have said Adaptive Sync will only be supported on R9 290/290X and R7 260/260X cards.

kharma45

I'd stick to the 265. I'd favour raw performance over something like True Audio.

$130 can also get you a 7870 or a 270 but it depends on how you view Powercolor. Would be far from my first choice but the cards themselves are good value

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

elfinke

My PC resides in the living room, on a hardwood floor, under a small table, right next to the main couch.

Within it is an i5 2500 on an AsRock H61M-S, Sapphire"]1gb 6950[/URL] (flashed to 6970), Antec Neo 520C in a smelly old mid-ATX size iCute case (with too many 80mm fans!) I was given when I was rocking 2x7800GTs and an Athlon x2 of some sort - it's a shit case.

If I wanted to transplant this to a very quiet new case, what would be recommended? From the ~OP I've sussed out the following - will my ageing gear fit OK? Even though I've picked small cases here, I'm not married to this form factor if there is a better option in a size up (like the Silverstone TJ08-E or FD R4, I guess).

• BitFenix Phenom M Micro
  • Node 304
  • CM Elite 120 Advanced

Also, I'm guessing all of those cases are future-proof, in that when I make an inevitable DC+nVidia 800 series (or R9) upgrade I can move all my gear into one of them? Last, are the 'new' range of GPU's, like the 270x's, any quieter than the 6950 under load? I'd be happy to throw $300 at this upgrade to gain a few FPS and bunch of quiet midnight gaming.

Thanks.

Faith

I have a 60hz monitor and overclocked it today for the first time:

pzxcq8xu.png

76Hz is maximum, everything higher doesn't work. And it's so smooth! Are there any negative side effects?

panzone

Nvidia Control Panel -> Change resolution -> Create custom resolutions (if you have a Nvidia GPU)

I have an AMD 6970, but I have found a way. Unfortunately it seems that my monitor can' t go higher than 70 hz (from 60). It' s better than nothing, thank you.

Item Box

Thanks for that link, I would have probably went and bought this before I looked in this thread.

I've been looking into plunking some actual cash down this time to get a worthy upgrade from my 7790(I swear I am the only person alive with this card). But I also want something that will be sufficient for a couple of years. I'm not going to be playing anything higher than 1920x1080 either, so is this good?

G.Newell

Finally gonna ask Gaf's collective wisdom.

Your Current Specs: 2500k/4gb RAM/Radeon 6850/1TB hardrive.
Budget:£1300 UK
Main Use:
Gaming - 5
Emulation:5
Streaming games in HD: 3
3D/Model work:1
General Usage:3
Monitor Resolution: 1080p but i will upgrade in the future.
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Looking to play games at 1080p and above, at 60fps.
got watchdogs but haven't played it yet.
When will you build?: Want to start by the end of june, Just recently bought a Sapphire AMD R9 290 TRI-X OC Graphics Card deal off amazon.

Wont be reusing parts other than peripherals like my monitor, keyboard and mouse etc... since for my current PC i'm going to give to my brother.

Been waiting for that devils canyon though the reviews haven't been amazing so far. would that still be the cpu to go for, for me?

kennah

You're not going to see much of an upgrade on the cpu side of things...

Buy your brother a devils canyon Pentium and upgrade yourself to 8 gigs of nicer ram.

kharma45

Finally gonna ask Gaf's collective wisdom.

Your Current Specs: 2500k/4gb RAM/Radeon 6850/1TB hardrive.
Budget:£1300 UK
Main Use:
Gaming - 5
Emulation:5
Streaming games in HD: 3
3D/Model work:1
General Usage:3
Monitor Resolution: 1080p but i will upgrade in the future.
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Looking to play games at 1080p and above, at 60fps.
got watchdogs but haven't played it yet.
When will you build?: Want to start by the end of june, Just recently bought a Sapphire AMD R9 290 TRI-X OC Graphics Card deal off amazon.

Wont be reusing parts other than peripherals like my monitor, keyboard and mouse etc... since for my current PC i'm going to give to my brother.

Been waiting for that devils canyon though the reviews haven't been amazing so far. would that still be the cpu to go for, for me?

I'd still wait for DC.

Build wise, here's a mATX one

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£163.00 @ Amazon UK)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£25.45 @ Scan.co.uk)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£80.00 @ Ebuyer)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£40.31 @ Amazon UK)
Other: CoolerMaster Silencio 352 Black Matt Edition USB3 MicroATX Mini-ITX Case (£44.78)
Other: G.Skill 8GB (2x 4GB) Dual Channel Ares Series Memory Kit (DDR3 2133, 11-11-11-30, 1.6v, Intel XMP Extreme Memory Profile Ready) (£55.99)
Other: Crucial CT256MX100SSD1 256GB MX100 SATA 2.5 Inch 7mm SSD Includes 9.5mm Adapter (£74.81)
Other: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W BN182 Modular 80+ Bronze 12cm Quiet Fan Braided Cables SLi/Xfire (£57.16)
Other: Windows 8 from reddit r/softwareswap (£10.15)
Total: £551.65
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-12 14:05 BST+0100)

and ATX

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£163.00 @ Amazon UK)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£25.45 @ Scan.co.uk)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£106.76 @ Scan.co.uk)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£40.31 @ Amazon UK)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case (£79.53 @ Amazon UK)
Other: G.Skill 8GB (2x 4GB) Dual Channel Ares Series Memory Kit (DDR3 2133, 11-11-11-30, 1.6v, Intel XMP Extreme Memory Profile Ready) (£55.99)
Other: Crucial CT256MX100SSD1 256GB MX100 SATA 2.5 Inch 7mm SSD Includes 9.5mm Adapter (£74.81)
Other: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W BN182 Modular 80+ Bronze 12cm Quiet Fan Braided Cables SLi/Xfire (£57.16)
Other: Windows 8 from reddit r/softwareswap (£10.15)
Total: £613.16
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-12 14:06 BST+0100)

And not even half your budget used! You could do stuff like upgrade the PSU (say a Gold one and fully modular), go to an i7 (you'll get little to no boost in most games that are around), bigger SSD if you wanted.

Smokey

What's wrong with Skylake's K series? Isn't it enough that the Extreme series are already so far behind, now the Ks are drifting more, too? :( I had my hopes set on Skylake-E being my next upgrade, does late 2016/early 2017 now sound about right or are they just synchronizing the Ks with the the -Es, or something?

Keep in mind this stuff changes all the time. A new roadmap could be leaked next month showing something completely different. But yeah for now...it sounds like Skylake K procs are going to be pretty far out. Don't even want to think about the -E.

Thanks! That's one reason I post about it. I don't do it to brag or anything. Some people like seeing high end components and impressions from stuff that isn't really mainstream. Or from regular users and not reviewers. Not into WC at the moment. However due to the number of extra parts I have, a backup rig is coming together. I just need a cheap GPU and some RAM. I plan to play around with WC on that system versus my main.

Hazaro said:
It's also a heck of a lot cheaper than a lot of other hobbies and everything is resalable without massive loss if you rotate enough.

Very true.

What is the sweet spot for reselling time wise? I just built my first PC and I'm already addicted. Bought a Galaxy gtx 780 HOF edition. I'd also like to flip it when the new stuff comes out. How much value (percentage) should I expect to loose from msrp. Also, do u switch between AMD and Nvidia?

I've found the best time to sell GPUs is right before the new generation of cards launch. After that you'll still most likely be able to sell it, however naturally your pricing will be up against newer material and the value will be lower. I usually try and get 75%-80% of what I paid for the card. Worked out pretty well so far.

I'm just Nvidia for now. I like their software ecosystem and they're what I've always used. I did contemplate getting an AMD 295x2 before going with the Three Headed Titan Monster, but that's as far as I've gotten with switching teams.

Pachimari

Hmm, so in the earlier thread, I were referred to Reddit to buy my Windows 7 OS and I did just that. But now my Windows 7 tells me, that my product key is not a genuine one.

Have I been scammed?

Hmm, so in the earlier thread, I were referred to Reddit to buy my Windows 7 OS and I did just that. But now my Windows 7 tells me, that my product key is not a genuine one.

Have I been scammed?

That subreddit has a list of sellers who are "confirmed". Did you buy from one of them or was it someone random? Gotta be careful.

Pachimari

How can I see if he is confirmed? It is this user (don't even know if I should share his profile) but there seemed to be many who were thanking him.

I have had my Windows installed for 2 months with no problem. It just now happened to tell me, that it was not genuine and removed my wallpaper and gave me a watermark in the corner reminding me it's not genuine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom