• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 2. Read OP, your 2500K will run Witcher 3. MX100s! 970!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smokey

When you're that high up, it's really hard for me to argue outside of Corsair because they offer those sweet sweet single braided cables in a variety of colors. When you're already dropping that kind of cash on the GPUs that require that sort of PSU, it seems like enthusiast territory has long been entered, and single braided cables are something that people with those setups enjoy.

But yeah, those new G2s are great.

EVGA offers them too. In blue, red, black, and white. You have to buy the whole set though which I believe is $70. Their site is down so I can't link.

Smokey.....I'm gonna trust you.

They're quality. I have the 1300w version. Others here have the 850w. They have been reviewing really well.

yatesl

Can anyone explain what's going on with my Outlook 2010?

iBRdSra1QVDDc.png

Overtime it just creeps up to over 90% and destroys my system. As you can see, I don't really have any add-ins running. I send/receives every couple of minutes, but I've had it like that in the past and it's not done this.

mkenyon

Banned
EVGA offers them too. In blue, red, black, and white. You have to buy the whole set though which I believe is $70. Their site is down so I can't link.
But Corsair has green and gunmetal grey, which are objectively the best.

Seriously though, I didn't know that. I'll be sure to add it in the "Smokey Level" column.

kiyomi

Sure, go for it.

I'd say the big upside to DC is that you don't even have to touch BIOS in order to get it running at 4.2 GHz 24/7. If that's not really a concern, then jump on it.

Yeah I have no problem going into the BIOS and overclocking and stuff, talking about the i5 here btw. Can't stretch to the i7.

Next question is, do I go for the Maximus VII Gene or the Z97M-Plus w/a Xonar DGX? I'm not really sure what features from the Gene I'd really use other than the niceties of having the sound card and more power phases. I'd save £40 on the M-Plus as well.

What do I do, GAF.

maneil99

Use a program to extract you windows key. (it will be a windows 8 key even though you are running 8.1)

Download thee windows 8 installer. (not the 8.1 installer)

Make the installation media with your windows 8 key and the windows 8 installer.
Select a clean install.

He wants to directly install 8.1 not 8

maneil99

Okay I love having a clean PC. And knowing there are possible driver issues with 8 vs 8.1 I went crazy. And like many of you may have found out its impossible to clean install windows 8.1 without a 8.1 key. Or is it?

Here is my guide on how to clean install windows 8.1

You will need to have windows 8 downloaded and 8.1 installed ( It may be possible to do this without 8.1 installed but I did not try)

First here is how to get a 8.1 Iso from the Microsoft store ( Credits to http://winsupersite.com/windows-8/windows-81-tip-download-windows-81-iso-windows-8-product-key)

"In a web browser, navigate to Microsoft's Upgrade Windows (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/upgrade-product-key-only) with only a product key page. Then, click the light blue Install Windows 8 button. Windows 8 Setup will run. Input your Windows 8 product key when prompted and Setup will tell you which version of the Windows 8 Setup ISO it will download. (This is based on the PC you're currently using If you start Setup from a 64-bit version of Windows, you will download a 64-bit ISO, for example.) After the download begins, close Setup.

Now, return to that Upgrade Windows with only a product key page. This time, click the light blue Install Windows 8.1 button. Windows Setup will run, as before, but you won't be prompted for your product key. Instead, the Setup ISO will download automatically!"

Back to my words

After this locate the iso, extract it and go to sources. Copy the install.esd or .wim file, some may get one or the other, doesn't matter. Paste it to a folder like C:Windowsinstall

Open Command prompt as an admin and type this in

reagentc.exe /setosimage /path C:\Windowsinstall /target c:\Windows /Index 1

Now go to 'Update and Recovery' in Metro ( Go to PC Settings ) and either pick Refresh or Delete Everything. Normally if you upgraded from 8 - 8.1 this would say either missing files insert media or it would work but revert you to 8.0. Doing this makes it use the 8.1 install file. It will NOT ask you from a 8.1 key, it will automaticlly use the 8.0 key you were already using and should work without a hitch.

Let me know of issues.

Keep in mind this is just a few weeks after 8.1 came out, if there is a better way to go straight to 8.1 with a 8 key let me know

LilJoka

Yeah I would prefer 8.1, but as I mentioned I only have a key for 8. I appreciate the help from you all though. It was more frustrating than I anticipated when I went through it a few weeks ago.

Its really silly MS wont allow 8 keys to activate 8.1....

I think there is one other easier method

Download Win 8.1 ISO
Install using the generic keys
Activate with 8.0 key once you reach desktop.

Dr.Acula

Banned
I got a response from EVGA-JacobF on why reference cards don't come with high-flow brackets. I'll post his response just in case anyone is curious.

Me:
"I've been wondering for years now - why don't reference cooled videocards come with high-flow brackets by default? I remember that eventually EVGA started shipped the GTX 580's with them, however, nowadays the 780's, Titans, etc... still come with the restrictive styled brackets. It doesn't seem like the high-flow brackets would cost much more if at all to manufacture, so I was just wondering if there's a particular reason for this."

Him:
"Sometimes it can be a bit complicated because if the card is a 100% reference design, (assembled by NVIDIA) we cannot change the bracket. If the card eventually allows us to build it ourselves (like the case on the 580) we can put the high flow bracket on from the factory level."

That just raises further questions!

Why is nVidia not using the high-flow brackets?

thespot84

Can anyone explain what's going on with my Outlook 2010?

Overtime it just creeps up to over 90% and destroys my system. As you can see, I don't really have any add-ins running. I send/receives every couple of minutes, but I've had it like that in the past and it's not done this.

using exchange? I'd start by disabling add-ins one at a time and see if it goes away.

mkenyon

Banned
First run through:

57I93B6.png

The cases there are both the best buys for XL-ATX compatibility (MSI XPower being rec'd). The motherboards are chosen for having PLX chips to multiply PCI-E lanes for 3-Way X-Fire/SLI. The H100i is chosen over the H110 or H105 for compatibility and the fact that 120mm fans in the aftermarket are way better than 140mm fans.

Yeah I have no problem going into the BIOS and overclocking and stuff, talking about the i5 here btw. Can't stretch to the i7.

Next question is, do I go for the Maximus VII Gene or the Z97M-Plus w/a Xonar DGX? I'm not really sure what features from the Gene I'd really use other than the niceties of having the sound card and more power phases. I'd save £40 on the M-Plus as well.

What do I do, GAF.
Dedicated sounds cards are always better. If you don't know if you will take advantage of the features on the Gene, don't go for it.

SHADES

Subbed! I can't tell you guys enough just how much I've appreciated part 1 and the knowledge I've gained from you guys, it's been an absolute pleasure to swat up and one of my daily go to reads, keep up the good work guys.

maneil99

First run through:

57I93B6.png

The cases there are both the best buys for XL-ATX compatibility (MSI XPower being rec'd). The motherboards are chosen for having PLX chips to multiply PCI-E lanes for 3-Way X-Fire/SLI. The H100i is chosen over the H110 or H105 for compatibility and the fact that 120mm fans in the aftermarket are way better than 140mm fans.

Dedicated sounds cards are always better. If you don't know if you will take advantage of the features on the Gene, don't go for it.

You forgot Titan Blacks

BTW I have a Gene V, it has a built in sound card, how do I know if I am using it?

In a lot of games i've noticing a stuttering, but looking at my system usage my processor and GPU is not maxing their use. In watchdogs i guess its because unoptimization of the game, since alot of people been noticing that, in battlefield hardline in max settings i get around 80 fps and a lot of stuttering when driving arround.

Since i have only 4gb of ddr 3 1333mhz ram i guess thats what causing this issue, but i tought ask you guys what is the most sensible upgrade i can do to my system, since i just bought a new video card and money is short. My system specs are:

I5 4670K @3.4 /Stock Cooler
Kingston Value 2x2GB DDR3 1333mhz ram
gtx 770 4gb
OCZ 600w stealthxstream
Gigabyte GA-B85M-D3PH
2x 1 TB Samsung 7200RPM SATA 3

And a SSD is really a good investiment? i guess for the stuttering problem it would be, but i am not certain, since it dont make a huge diference for some games...
I would like to overclock my proc. too, i guess ram is important for that?

Thanks!

mkenyon

Banned
You forgot Titan Blacks
As much as I love Smokey, I can't recommend those to anyone when 6GB 780s and 4GB 290s exist.

*edit*

On your edit: It is working if you have sound :p
In a lot of games i've noticing a stuttering, but looking at my system usage my processor and GPU is not maxing their use. In watchdogs i guess its because unoptimization of the game, since alot of people been noticing that, in battlefield hardline in max settings i get around 80 fps and a lot of stuttering when driving arround.

Since i have only 4gb of ddr 3 1333mhz ram i guess thats what causing this issue, but i tought ask you guys what is the most sensible upgrade i can do to my system, since i just bought a new video card and money is short. My system specs are:

I5 4670K @3.4 /Stock Cooler
Kingston Value 2x2GB DDR3 1333mhz ram
gtx 770 4gb
OCZ 600w stealthxstream
Gigabyte GA-B85M-D3PH
2x 1 TB Samsung 7200RPM SATA 3

And a SSD is really a good investiment? i guess for the stuttering problem it would be, but i am not certain, since it dont make a huge diference for some games...
I would like to overclock my proc. too, i guess ram is important for that?

Thanks!
As a general rule, deducing performance issues through usage numbers is going to lead you down an inaccurate and problem-ridden path. Avoid that.

1) Overclock your processor. This is going to be a huge increase in smoothness and avoiding really low lows.

2) Yeah, time to upgrade to 8GB.

3) SSD will make zero difference in games outside of loading times, but makes using the PC an instant experience. It is one of those transformative experiences where going back feels terrible.

So, I built my PC about a year and a half ago, but I've never had it sit on the floor by my desk. How safe is it on the floor? I have a carpeted floor with a cat, so should I keep it on my desk or is it safe to have it on the floor?

maneil99

So, I built my PC about a year and a half ago, but I've never had it sit on the floor by my desk. How safe is it on the floor? I have a carpeted floor with a cat, so should I keep it on my desk or is it safe to have it on the floor?

Not a big deal, just clean it out a little more often.

sal0713

Neo Member
So i bought a Corsair H80i. Didn't think it was that big, had to remove one of my window fans for the case to be able to close. I was wondering how accurate are the temp from corsair link?

10417590_523848694387395_4531662740549395847_n.jpg

As much as I love Smokey, I can't recommend those to anyone when 6GB 780s and 4GB 290s exist.

*edit*

On your edit: It is working if you have sound :p

As a general rule, deducing performance issues through usage numbers is going to lead you down an inaccurate and problem-ridden path. Avoid that.

1) Overclock your processor. This is going to be a huge increase in smoothness and avoiding really low lows.

2) Yeah, time to upgrade to 8GB.

3) SSD will make zero difference in games outside of loading times, but makes using the PC an instant experience. It is one of those transformative experiences where going back feels terrible.

Thanks for the reply!
So shortage of ram can cause stutterings? I guess the best upgrade right now is 2x4gb ram and a cooler for the proc. to do a good overclock.

I will try to hold back on SSD for a while, since i am one of those people who like to store everything and keep all my games instaled. i would hate to have some games loading fast and others slow... =P

mkenyon

Banned
Thanks for the reply!
So shortage of ram can cause stutterings? I guess the best upgrade right now is 2x4gb ram and a cooler for the proc. to do a good overclock.
Yeah, running out of memory can do that. For the time being, just set the core multiplier on your proc to 39, which should be fine with the stock heatsink. That'll give you a nice boost.

Daria

I was just going to start an AMD build but then the G3258 came along. The end result is pretty simple, I just would like to keep the funds down.

The plan I have so far is the G3258 and ASRock Z97 (Gaf favorite?). The only thing that's boggling me down is the GPU only because of the cost.

Your Current Specs: N/A
Budget: Prefer ≤$450 but no more than $525ish.
Main Use: Gaming and Netflix.
Monitor Resolution: Got a monitor. Dat 1080p. Might swap between that and a TV though.
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Fallout 3 modded and max, Ori and the Blind Forrest, CS:GO, Skyrim.
When will you build?: Next 3 months
Will you be overclocking?: Yes

mkenyon

Banned
I was just going to start an AMD build but then the G3258 came along. The end result is pretty simple, I just would like to keep the funds down.

The plan I have so far is the G3258 and ASRock Z97 (Gaf favorite?). The only thing that's boggling me down is the GPU only because of the cost.

Budget: Prefer ≤$450 but no more than $525ish.
Main Use: Gaming and Netflix.
Monitor Resolution: Got a monitor. Dat 1080p. Might swap between that and a TV though.
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Fallout 3 modded and max, Ori and the Blind Forrest, CS:GO, Skyrim.
When will you build?: Next 3 months
Will you be overclocking?: Yes
You'll love that proc, perfect for your needs.

For a video card, since you're looking to build within 3 months, just keep an eye on the B/S/T thread as there will be good deals popping up. As long as it's EVGA, MSI, ASUS, or Gigabyte, the warranty transfers.

Celcius

°Temp. member
So shortage of ram can cause stutterings?

Just to elaborate on this: Yes. If your system doesn't have enough ram to perform the task at hand then it has to resort to paging. This is when the system has to swap out memory with the hard disk so that it has enough room to fit everything. A hard drive or ssd is much slower than your system ram and also the data has to travel further when going to/from a drive.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paging

You could PM AndyBNV. He works for Nvidia

Thanks, I'll send him a pm and see if we can get to the bottom of this one. :)
edit: PM sent.

I think reality is starting to hurt when it comes to the expectations of DEvil's Canyon. Kyle Bennet over at the [H]ardOCP forums posted this:

"I just talked to another ODM on this....

"2 among about 70 pcs of I7-4790K can achieve 5GHz on air and water"

I asked for more clarification on what "air and water" means exactly, but surely this further supports the conclusions I reached in our article."

That is about a 5% chance to reach 5GHz, this coupled with Intel touting 5GHz on air? I am disappoint.

So holding off until Skylake looking like an option for anyone else yet? if a Z97 can only futureproof me for another 5-7% bump in performance with Broadwell's microarchitechture shrink down the line, Skylake is looking like a more reasonable choice here.

Mystic654

Maybe someone here who is expert at hard drives can help me, I'm a little lost when it comes to these things. Could someone help me clear some things up for me.

I'm looking into buying Avermedia ExtremeCap U3 with my new PC. However one thing gave me pause.

One of the requirements is a Raid 0 drive.

I currently have installed is: 2TB 7200 RPM Sata Hard Drive.

My question would be could I use the capture device at it's fullest without Raid 0 or should I look for something else?

Okay, finally gonna post this FOR ME:

Budget: $1600, US
Main Use: Rate 1-5. 5 being Highest:
Gaming - 5
Emulation (PS2/Wii) - 5
Streaming games in HD - 3
3D/Model work (and what program) - 5 (at this point, ArcGIS and AutoCAD)
General Usage (Word, Web, 1080p playback) - 3.
Monitor Resolution: 1080p, looking to upgrade to 1440p
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: 60FPS is a must; most graphically demanding currently-released game I'll be playing is probably going to be Watch_Dogs so let's use that as a baseline.
Looking to reuse any parts?: 2TB pre-Seagate Samsung HDD I need to clone data from, W8.1 Pro key, and an Asus VH242H monitor.
When will you build?: Very end of August
Will you be overclocking?: Heck yeah.
Got a Micro Center near you?: Yep.

Daingurse

If the 2500k can run Witcher 3, then I should be more than comfortable with my 980x. Think I'll be on this 1366 rig till the damn wheels fall off. Just waiting on dat Maxwell so I can upgrade from my 2GB 670.

I'd recommend what they call a CPU Roller. I know, stupid name. Helps lift it off the floor enough to keep dust/lint out. Has worked well for me:

Like this one on Amazon.

SSJLuffy

Is it possible to build a really good rig for 500 bucks? I'm on a pretty tight budget at the moment and can always improve it later on. I'm looking for something that could play games with PS4 graphics with no problem, but it's fine if I gotta turn some settings down.

Edit: Or should I just hold out until I can shelve out some more cash? Which will be a long time.

Smokey

Is it possible to build a really good rig for 500 bucks? I'm on a pretty tight budget at the moment and can always improve it later on. I'm looking for something that could play games with PS4 graphics with no problem, but it's fine if I gotta turn some settings down.

Edit: Or should I just hold out until I can shelve out some more cash? Which will be a long time.

Read the OP.

There are two builds around that price..

Lime

Just got a used 290 with triple fan cooling for $260. It will tide me over until next year with Witcher 3 and its fur tech, but my 6950 needs a rest after 3 years of solid service.

Meanwhile, I'm still on my unlocked Phenom II X3 720 BE @ 3,2 ghz. How much will my CPU be a bottleneck for my GPU? And will the 8-core Haswell-E be affordable for mainstream consumers akin to a regular i7 4970k?

Smokey

And will the 8-core Haswell-E be affordable for mainstream consumers akin to a regular i7 4970k?

It is not geared towards the same type of consumer. the 8-core part is rumored to be the 5960x, Intel's Extreme Edition processor, which will retail for $1,000. On top of that Haswell-E will use a new chipset (X99) and be the first consumer platform where DDR4 is used.

So no...it is geared towards a different consumer than the standard consumer chips.

mkenyon

Banned
If i buy the BenQ XL2411Z or the Asus one will it be good to also use my ps4 with it?
Yes, moreso with the XL2411Z.
If the 2500k can run Witcher 3, then I should be more than comfortable with my 980x. Think I'll be on this 1366 rig till the damn wheels fall off. Just waiting on dat Maxwell so I can upgrade from my 2GB 670.
Probably, yeah. The big thing about 2500Ks is the clockspeed though. That huge IPC helps overcome a lot of obstacles. But, IIRC, the 980x is only about 5% slower clock for clock.
Just got a used 290 with triple fan cooling for $260. It will tide me over until next year with Witcher 3 and its fur tech, but my 6950 needs a rest after 3 years of solid service.

Meanwhile, I'm still on my unlocked Phenom II X3 720 BE @ 3,2 ghz. How much will my CPU be a bottleneck for my GPU? And will the 8-core Haswell-E be affordable for mainstream consumers akin to a regular i7 4970k?
Your proc was a bottleneck for your 6950. Though this isn't totally accurate, it paints a more clear picture: The CPU is responsible for the highest highs and the lowest lows, the GPU is responsible for the average.

You'll notice less stuttering with a new processor.

The 8C/16T Haswell-E will be either ~$550 or $1000, like the 4930K/4960K Ivy-E. -E designates "enthusiast", which has all sorts of other things that most gamers don't use. Quad channel memory, 42 PCI-E lanes (compared to 16 with the "consumer" socket 1155/1150).

There will be a 6C/12T variant that will be around the same price as the 4790K, just like we currently have the 4820K Ivy-E.
Okay, finally gonna post this FOR ME:
The Enthusiast build from the OP pretty much fits exactly what you're looking for.
How long until consumer 8 core intel CPUs

Smoky pls
They've been cancelled, along with Maxwell. I heard rumors it's Australia's fault.

Hi guys. Have a question about PSUs

So I'm getting the following parts:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor )
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Video Card: Radeon R9 290 4GB Video Card
Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: XFX TS 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer

+1 SSD
+1 HDD

Now, will the XFX 550W PSU be enough to run that or do I need something larger? If I need something bigger, is the EVGA SuperNOVA 750W a decent PSU?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom