• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I told my girlfriend she had an imaginary friend..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cidd

Looks like you are about to have an imaginary girlfriend.

Haha wow.

well_done_sir.gif

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
While the OP did clearly fuck up by mocking her beliefs; his gf is denying him his religous freedom by trying to convert him and dragging him to church.

It's as if you dated a vegetarian and they would force their diet on you. Respecting peoples beliefs is cool and all, but fuck them when they start forcing them on other people against their will.

The OP should do the right thing, and dump her fanatic ass.

completely agree, nothing in my post that isn't a two a street. Respect is a two way street.

Monocle

All dualism is false. The traditional sense of God infers it/He/She as "other", and thus, dual. Every evocation of dualism is an affront to reality for such principles. Period. Dualism implies separate. Separate from what? The answer is always something from thought, and it's within thought that divisive concepts begin. Non-dualism is understanding all that naturally exists is parts of a whole, for it's all interconnected and interdependent, and there is nothing that anything can be cut off from. In an everyday sort of sense, most people don't grasp that understanding of reality. It goes against our collective common sense, but that has been rigged according to what we can understand from science. It would not be alarming to assume you might even think of yourself as a separate, isolated person, but in order for that to be so, you'd have to be you all the time.

<snip>
Just wanted to say I've been enjoying your contributions to this thread. I mean that sincerely.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Speaking factually about religion isn't mocking, though.

Edit: let me clarify. I mean factually as in "there is zero credible evidence for gods and the belief systems built to support the idea of their existence", moreso than "religious people are stupid".

but that's not actually what you said. You said along the lines of criticizing. Not "speaking factually." Which imo no one on either side can actually speak factually about religion and this existence of a higher being. Which is kind of the point, RE faith. Either you have faith, or you don't.

Again, it boils down to respect, as I posted earlier on this page. Respect from both people. Which is why its significantly harder for a believer and an non believer to comingle romantically, which is what we're actually talking about in this thread. Same scenario with a meat eater and a vegan/vegetarian.

Mariolee

All dualism is false. The traditional sense of God infers it/He/She as "other", and thus, dual. Every evocation of dualism is an affront to reality for such principles. Period. Dualism implies separate. Separate from what? The answer is always something from thought, and it's within thought that divisive concepts begin. Non-dualism is understanding all that naturally exists is parts of a whole, for it's all interconnected and interdependent, and there is nothing that anything can be cut off from. In an everyday sort of sense, most people don't grasp that understanding of reality. It goes against our collective common sense, but that has been rigged according to what we can understand from science. It would not be alarming to assume you might even think of yourself as a separate, isolated person, but in order for that to be so, you'd have to be you all the time.

There are countless experiential gimmicks that can be used to help someone have the first-person experience to see through the illusion, if one doesn't wish to simply say "neurology makes these claims, and that's that". I'll even give one: tell me who "I" am from your experience? By "I" I mean your self. It will surely be things projected on the organism, such as a name and various social roles of identity. Try and look for this "I" when looking or hearing, and you might see it's not there. There's no outsider to those experiences, and the ego is the illusion of an outsider.

Right and wrong should come from humanity, from understanding what is. Using morality is a fucking terrible line of justification, for that comes from conditioning, not understanding. Morals play the game of self, that image, and all of the good and bad evocations given therein. Most people can't even wrap their heads around the fact that in the natural sense, nothing is good nor bad, but it is the thought over what is that creates that, which in turn creates the conflict in our world. For the OP to be offended, that's caught in the problem of personalizing things. He is still playing the illusion of "me" as an image, as an isolated skin-encapsulated ego, and confusing that image with reality. This is what society gets wrong right out of the gate, so almost everyone within most societies has a factually false identity of themselves. It could be precisely why this post probably making sounds like psychobabble or New Age mysticism.

You are correct that it's not exclusive to religion, but religion and society, but much of this starts by religion and society tends to carry similar principles of thought. They're both clearly wrong on this topic, though.

If you think God is "what there is", the manifestation of all ground of being, you don't need to use the word God. God is creator of creating, Big Papa, something other than you. All of that is stupid thinking based on poor concepts. If you claim God to be some "innate intelligence" allowing all of this to manifest, the word still infers a creator behind it. Instead, we have a reality that merely happens of itself, and all that can be explained is what we can figure out in the happenings.

To explain this cosmos, there appear to be three large models at play.

- Ceramic: This infers the cosmos was made, like a potter makes a pot. This is laughable for we cannot find nor prove a potter, so we can only conceptualize one. This falls into a great problem called "God of the gaps" for this potter is continued to be eroded from plausibility as we study more of the cosmos.

- Mechanical: This is usually taken as a direct antithesis to to the Ceramic model. This infers all that exists is flukes and parts. This also promotes dualism in a way that fails to match the world, and all this accomplishes is getting rid of Big Boss.

- Organic: The best way to describe this model would be to say what happens occurs of itself. It's not made by a potter, nor a fluke, but grown on processes that have some innate properties that allow manifestation of various forms in this universe. This model is the most applicable to science without any game of retrofitting, and the only one that proposes non-dualism, making it the only likely candidate we have if we're going to have any serious conversation on this universe.

Most people still believe in the Ceramic model, and this is a great issue, for that is continued to be enforced over reality, which assures issues regarding compatibility.

Thank you for this post! I actually learned a lot from this and hopefully will be able to respond once I learn a bit more for it. I will admit due to my lack of studies in the subject of dualism I cannot provide an apt response but once I do I'll PM you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom