• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN First: No Man's Sky 21 Minute Gameplay Demo

The sleeping part kind of confused me. Don't see how the game can be a shared universe. What would an observer watching that planet have seen when Sean took his nap?

Hyped as fuck though.

Hahah, didn't occur to me but it's a very good point.

An observer (i.e. another player) would most probably need to go through a similar transition screen, skipping time just as you did while sleeping, but only if he's inside the same star system and is thrown inside the same "lobby" you're in.

I think it's safe to guess that star systems are like hubs, specific pocket universes where the passage of time is only important to you and, in the very rare case, a few other players that happened to be in the same lobby as you.

This might create problems for, say, NPC trading ships that are actually traveling between star systems, because that would create a discrepancy between what is happening in the neighboring star system (in terms of economy, if an NPC trader ship has delivered its cargo or not etc.). It might not have to though, if the game does simulations in the entire neighboring sector of star systems based specifically on your own "internal clock". In other words, the game might not have a "galactic standard time" but more like an illogical local time based on the player's actions, like every star system or at least a cluster of star systems share exist in a special time bubble.

It's an interesting thing to see how they've gone about doing this, and it kind of reinforces what they've been saying all along, that it really isn't a multiplayer game. The multiplayer interactions with a few other players that might end up in your "nearby space" lobby would be like phantoms from other dimensions, peering into your own, very much like the phantoms in Dark Souls, but with even less agency.

SomTervo

Oh, some solid gameplay eh? Gonna check it out later today

Why in the world did u put ground vehicles and that other part behind spoiler tags? ��

Some people want to go in blind and, if it's true, Hello Games certainly don't want people knowing that information (yet).

Large scale changes like blowing up stations are saved automatically.

Discovering and naming planets and creatures is only saved to the cloud when you go to special "uplink" points on planets. They showed that in a video around a year ago.

If you die before uplinking your discoveries are not saved to the cloud and other players will not know about them.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
That would actually be on the level of a Wipeout VR announcement for me. The character in NMS moves pretty slowly. Maybe that's a deliberate choice to reduce potential motion sickness? *putsontinfoilhat*

and you can move around the planet on a jetpack, possibly avoiding the need to walk which can have issues with nausea..

bosseye

Can't make up my mind about this. I'll definitely buy it as I really want to experience it, but there is this niggling part of my brain that has yet to be convinced it will grab me long term. Hopefully I'm wrong.

SomTervo

Sean has stated that large things, like killing an entire species would be saved for everyone. That's one of the very first things anyone ever knew about NMS.

So, if you kill all the blue birds on Terra X, then nobody will have blue birds on Terra X. I don't think we have any solid info about smaller changes though, other than they won't be shared. That leaves the possibility that they will be saved locally or not saved at all.

Edit: This is from Reddit Q&A from 6 days ago:

So all planets exist at the same time then? That must be an impossible to maintain server.

Not really, as it’s procedural, a planet or system only exists when you’re there, and the furthest things you can view are there only at the lowest level of detail. The stars you see are real stars, and the planets real planets, but they’re not taking up much space. If you can’t see anything at all, it’s not even generated.

Think of it like generating the world in Minecraft, as you walk, you generate more of the world – and things get pretty taxing after a while, because Minecraft is saving a lot of this information.

No Man’s Sky however throws this information in the trash when it’s not needed – the planet is simply regenerated from the same seed, if you will, when you return.
How does it handle your information?

Anything you do is saved forever to your machine, that bird you killed, that terrain you destroyed, that blueprint you found, etc. but for everyone else, that planet is as untouched as the day you found it.

Really clarifies it. Thanks for digging this up.

bounchfx

More fun math. Based on my calculation that the demo area comprised about 0.00011% of the world's surface area, and going by the video that it took Sean 15 minutes until he left for space, how long would it take Sean to explore every bit of the world? Surely exploration time will vary from area to area, but let's use that as a very simple estimate.

Well Sean explored an area of 6 pixels in 15 minutes, so that gives us an exploration rate of 2.5 minutes per pixel. It seems crazy, but since that world's surface area has 5,309,292 pixels, it would take Sean roughly 13,273,230 minutes to explore the entirety of that world.

Or 221,221 hours.
Or 9,218 days.
Or about 25 years.
To explore one world.

this is super amazing but at the same time it means nothing if the planets are the same all the way around. there is essentially zero reason to explore more of a planet if there is no diversity within it. as others have said, the idea is to travel between worlds to get variety, but at the same time it seems like a waste to have all that space but no compelling reason to explore it for more than the first impression and general resources. I'm excited to see how I feel actually playing it but I can't help but feel like I'd be much more interested if the planets had different biomes that you could find by flying around the world looking for them - the sense of discovery would be far greater because you aren't quite sure what a world will hold. NMS does have caves and shit though which is neat.

basically what I'm saying is, as impressive as the scale is, if it's all the same then the scale means nothing outside of being able to see the planet as a whole when you fly away from it (which is incredible in its own right)

SomTervo

Unfortunately this doesnt really mean much, as the entire surface of the planet is a single climate and probably also the same X number of creatures. So while such a huge planet looks nice, there doesnt seem to be too much reason to want to fully explore it. Which is as intended, as HG actively wants you to go to different planets to see new climates and plants and people and such, instead of staying on one planet all the time.

Not entirely the case. There are monoliths, buildings, portals and resources on planets, too- which are each procedural and unique. It would be well worth your time exploring any life-supporting planet.

Remember that only 10% of planets will be life-habitable.

this is super amazing but at the same time it means nothing if the planets are the same all the way around. there is essentially zero reason to explore more of a planet if there is no diversity within it. as others have said, the idea is to travel between worlds to get variety, but at the same time it seems like a waste to have all that space but no compelling reason to explore it for more than the first impression and general resources. I'm excited to see how I feel actually playing it but I can't help but feel like I'd be much more interested if the planets had different biomes that you could find by flying around the world looking for them - the sense of discovery would be far greater because you aren't quite sure what a world will hold. NMS does have caves and shit though which is neat.

basically what I'm saying is, as impressive as the scale is, if it's all the same then the scale means nothing outside of being able to see the planet as a whole when you fly away from it (which is incredible in its own right)

At least the planets will have day/night cycles which impact on the life forms which come out. You could fly to the dark side of the planet to catalogue more animal/plant life. You could delve into the ocean to explore the sea-life.

There are also dynamic storms and weather events to mix it up a bit.

(But yes, disappointing that planets are all one biome.)

SomTervo

I've been thinking about those interiors and what I said about there possibly being apartments we can rent. Then resources also become a way of staying comfortably on a planet while you explore. It also adds another layer to the befriending system if they make it cheaper based on your standing with which ever race owned the building.

There was a fairly dubious info-dump in the last week or two which stated that:

1. You can purchase housing units and place them on planets. Can be used as temporary bases, or more permanent 'homes'. They are modular and can be build in different ways.

2. You can also purchase larger ship models and live on these as your home; nomad style.

3. (Very dubious) You can live with other aliens or other players on your home - and larger frigate ships need two pilots.

All of the above is dubious, apparently 'leaked' info

The only thing that worries me is that we have seen literally zero gameplay featuring a different player. They said that in itself is a rarity but most people are confused because of that one segment. As someone mentioned, the sleeping thing was odd in that regard. If it works like Minecraft where time progresses as all players sleep at the same time, then sure...

But let's say you're on a planet, exploring stuff, doing your thing and (as low chance as it is), another player comes to the system and lands on the same planet or space station. Will you be able to see each other at all? And if yes, how does the "small changes won't be shown to other players" work? Like, if I drill open a cave, by Sean's words, that won't be something other players see when they visit the planet on their own.

Yet, if I did that while we were on the same planet, at the same time, will it work then? Or if he arrives literally 5 minutes after I drill it? It would be funny if I dig through a wall and can see the outside when I turn around, yet the player I can clearly see standing outside can't see me because he sees only a wall :D

E92 M3

I've heard opposite. I've heard that only things like blowing up space stations and major things like that will stay in the persistent universe or whatever you call it. But things like blowing up holes in the ground get wiped off the memory.

You're mixing mechanics. That was in reference to what other people see on their server. Big events are saved for everyone, small ones are local.

You're right, although the main thing adding to that diversity will be the various random points of interest scattered throughout the planet. So I'm expecting that we'll actually hop around with our spaceship throughout the planet more than only walking around on foot while exploring. You ping the planet scanner from orbit, find a couple of points of interest (and these could even be ancient temples, portals to other planets, more exotic stuff like that), you land nearby, explore these points, go back to you ship, fly to a different part of the planet, ping, repeat. Looking at it this way, it's much more about seeing what these temporarily unknown points of interest are and if they're useful to you. Sometimes they'll be large caches of minerals, other times they'll be useless pieces of junk. It's supposed to create that rouge-like/lite gameplay loop of being presented with a procedural set of circumstances and then encouraging you to discover what they are and gain some benefits from them if possible. The "encouraging" part will be the most important thing for the devs to pull off.

Kind of like how Enter the Gungeon works, to make a more recent example (as well as many other rouge-like/lites). Those dungeons really look very samey, and are like four of them(?), yet you can spend an unhealthy amount of time playing that game due to how different the circumstances can get due to your character, gear, loot drops, room layouts, bosses and the various hidden "quests" you can do. Just replace floors, dungeons and rooms with a universe, galaxies and planets.

So yeah, the scale of the universe, star systems and the planets themselves add to the experience, but you could pull off something similar with much smaller planets in a smaller universe, it just wouldn't feel quite the same. And since it's one biome per planet (aka one dungeon theme per floor), it encourages you even more to not spend too much time on a single planet, it's just that sort of game they're making. Not to mention that having various biomes per planet would probably greatly complicate their development, so they've made compromises.

One day we'll probably have a lot more complex procedural planets with much more detail in future games, can't wait for it. :)

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
There was a fairly dubious info-dump in the last week or two which stated that:

1. You can purchase housing units and place them on planets. Can be used as temporary bases, or more permanent 'homes'. They are modular and can be build in different ways.

2. You can also purchase larger ship models and live on these as your home; nomad style.

3. (Very dubious) You can live with other aliens or other players on your home - and larger frigate ships need two pilots.

All of the above is dubious, apparently 'leaked' info

That third option is making me doubt all of this but I wouldn't rule it out simply because it seems an obvious expansion of what we're already been shown. If it's a damned good idea and it's possible to add then why not?

I also love the little details: when he goes inside buildings or in the cave system, you can see in the bottom left corner a pop up clock representing the current time and what I believe is the sunset time.

The only thing that worries me is that we have seen literally zero gameplay featuring a different player. They said that in itself is a rarity but most people are confused because of that one segment. As someone mentioned, the sleeping thing was odd in that regard. If it works like Minecraft where time progresses as all players sleep at the same time, then sure...

But let's say you're on a planet, exploring stuff, doing your thing and (as low chance as it is), another player comes to the system and lands on the same planet or space station. Will you be able to see each other at all? And if yes, how does the "small changes won't be shown to other players" work? Like, if I drill open a cave, by Sean's words, that won't be something other players see when they visit the planet on their own.

Yet, if I did that while we were on the same planet, at the same time, will it work then? Or if he arrives literally 5 minutes after I drill it? It would be funny if I dig through a wall and can see the outside when I turn around, yet the player I can clearly see standing outside can't see me because he sees only a wall :D

It's definitely something that's not exactly clear, and it could lead to all sorts of weird shenanigans, seeing players clip through the floor (because they're entering a cave you're not seeing) or maybe even hover in mid air (because you've destroyed a piece of land he was standing on) etc.

It might just turn out that way in the end (since it's rare to run into a player, they'll just chalk it up to not being so important) but my biggest problem is that it might lead to some really glitchy situations, and that's not really something that should be left unresolved.

I am guessing they will most probably sync the majority of the interactions between players that share the local online lobby (i.e. two players in the same star system or planet). I think Sean's mentioned before something about seeing other player's ships but not realizing they're players, but also something about attacking those ships, looting their cargo etc. (because, if you can't actually shoot another player's ship, then you'll immediately know it is in fact a player ship and not an NPC), might be wrong. With this logic, I'd imagine the two players will sync their actions, will see each other drilling holes into the ground and entering the same caves, but I wouldn't be surprised if there'll be a very noticeable lag between Player 1 blowing a hole on the ground and Player 2 actually seeing said hole, even to the point of having two players spelunking around be a very tedious experience. It doesn't necessarily have to be so, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Machina

Banned
That certainly looks quite amazing. I hope we do have a good reason to spend hours on one planet, and that experience can be replicated in the other systems while remaining fresh, without potentially seeing the same procedurally generated "thing" twice.

Fedele

L090lvT.gif.96b1c1f076ec1fda9909cb40edfc11a1.gif

SO HYPED, the possibilities are amazing! Sad I couldn't get a Limited Edition but will be day 0 for sure. This will probably be my first game-related PTO.

The universe will be made of space-dicks.

Astrates

No Man's Sky |OT| Don't be a space dick

This looks far more exciting and deep than I'd originally thought. I've been excited since the reveal, but skeptical. This just 100% sold me.

Surely we need to use the Ballad of Serenity to do it

No Man's Sky |OT| Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

There's a few interviews out and about that Sean advises you will not run into other people. You will only know by discovering animals/planets they've named or by seeing their impact on a planet.

I'll see if I can find any interviews once I'm home.

Handy Fake

Surely we need to use the Ballad of Serenity to do it

No Man's Sky |OT| Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

There's a few interviews out and about that Sean advises you will not run into other people. You will only know by discovering animals/planets they've named or by seeing their impact on a planet.

I'll see if I can find any interviews once I'm home.

I'm hoping for some choice Hitchhiker's death quotes:

The regular early morning yell of horror was the sound of Arthur Dent waking up and suddenly remembering where he was.

Good video overall. I've been critical off and on of this whole project but I'm coming around to the systems and even just wandering with no hope of seeing everything. On the one hand the completionist in me wants to die just thinking about the concept, but embracing this as something theoretically always fresh as seems the intent of the devs is more appealing.

Really the only hangup I see is whether the "lore" and trading will be enough to keep me interested, or whether there's too much samey-ness such that after you've seen about 100 different planets you've seen almost all the different monster bodytypes or terrain. Hopefully what he mentioned about each planet having its own combination of factors and rules will be good enough.

You're going to find it difficult moving from planet to planet if you're not searching for blueprints to upgrade your ship and suit, or at least finding specific rare resources to trade.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
but I can't help but feel like I'd be much more interested if the planets had different biomes that you could find by flying around the world looking for them
I suppose Hello Games wasn't able to include different biomes. That's a damn shame. It was on my top list of things I wanted from the game.

I suppose Hello Games wasn't able to include different biomes. That's a damn shame. It was on my top list of things I wanted from the game.

Well, their goal is to get you to move from planet to planet in order to see different environments. Heck, even in our solar system, every planet (other than earth) seems to just have one biome!

BigDug13

They said it was their intent NOT to have a player wandering around one planet for hours and hours. Different biomes would keep a player on one planet longer when the game is really meant to fly to numerous planets and explore. It's not that they couldn't introduce more biomes, they made the conscious choice not to.

They also mentioned how science fiction usually portrays planet visitation as single biome.

This game isn't based on reality. It's based on trying to bring a science fiction universe into a game.

Tigress

They said it was their intent NOT to have a player wandering around one planet for hours and hours. Different biomes would keep a player on one planet longer when the game is really meant to fly to numerous planets and explore. It's not that they couldn't introduce more biomes, they made the conscious choice not to.

They also mentioned how science fiction usually portrays planet visitation as single biome.

This game isn't based on reality. It's based on trying to bring a science fiction universe into a game.

Doesn't mean we have to agree with them (and I'm not worried about realism at all here). I honestly think it was a bad decision (if it was indeed just cause he wanted to encourage people to explore and not secretly cause it just was infeasable to try to get the procedural generation not to get really wonky by adding more factors).

I mean I'm going to want to explore anyways to see what planets are out there but making a planet just one biome seems like it is the biggest argument on why planets will get boring to explore. It just seems like it will make a planet seem bland. It won't really encourage you to explore if everytime you explore it's just more blandness.

Planets with different biomes are way more interesting and more interesting to find out about and discover. And honestly the only reason it never bugs me in science fiction is I think I've always just assumed teh area you see is one part of the planet, not the whole. Not like a game where I can explore where I want and it will become obvious it is the whole planet.

I'm still excited about the game (I have the special edition pre ordered) but that really is the big that that has me worried a little bit that I will get bored. And I think it is more likely to have the opposite effect (planets are boring to explore cause they are all the same all over and after a while no reason to go find another one cause it will be another one that is all the same all over).

Handy Fake

Doesn't mean we have to agree with them (and I'm not worried about realism at all here). I honestly think it was a bad decision (if it was indeed just cause he wanted to encourage people to explore and not secretly cause it just was infeasable to try to get the procedural generation not to get really wonky by adding more factors).

I mean I'm going to want to explore anyways to see what planets are out there but making a planet just one biome seems like it is the biggest argument on why planets will get boring to explore. It just seems like it will make a planet seem bland. It won't really encourage you to explore if everytime you explore it's just more blandness.

Planets with different biomes are way more interesting and more interesting to find out about and discover. And honestly the only reason it never bugs me in science fiction is I think I've always just assumed teh area you see is one part of the planet, not the whole. Not like a game where I can explore where I want and it will become obvious it is the whole planet.

I'm still excited about the game (I have the special edition pre ordered) but that really is the big that that has me worried a little bit that I will get bored. And I think it is more likely to have the opposite effect (planets are boring to explore cause they are all the same all over and after a while no reason to go find another one cause it will be another one that is all the same all over).

It just expands the idea of exploration. You're essentially discovering different biomes on a planetary scale instead of a geographic scale.

Par Score

Well, their goal is to get you to move from planet to planet in order to see different environments. Heck, even in our solar system, every planet (other than earth) seems to just have one biome!

Not even almost true.

Mercury has an astoundingly hot day side, a shudderingly cold night side, and rather chilly poles. There are icy areas and evidence of volcanic activity.

Pluto has heavily cratered areas, shockingly flat plains, and some of the weirdest mountain ranges in the solar system. There are glaciers, cryovolcanos, and enough out-gassing to sustain an atmosphere thicker than that found on Mars.

I'm not arguing for realism (although I would be vastly more interested in this game if it was attempting realism), but you can't use realism as an argument against diverse biomes, even for "dead" worlds.

pompidu

Thinking of some good OT names. Using some scifi space quotes and stuff I think of.

No Man's Sky |OT| In space, no one can see your gameplay.

No Man's Sky |OT| There is more planets in this game than atoms in the universe

No Man's Sky |OT| The sky is the limit only for those who aren't afraid to fly

No Man's Sky |OT| Everywhere I go, I'm the first

SomTervo

Realism wouldn't be fun.

99.9999% of planets would be empty, eh?

In No Man's Sky only 90% of the planets are empty.

(10% of them will have life. They up this ratio during demos.)

Pluto has heavily cratered areas, shockingly flat plains, and some of the weirdest mountain ranges in the solar system. There are glaciers, cryovolcanos, and enough out-gassing to sustain an atmosphere thicker than that found on Mars.

It's a pity that there is only one biome per planet - however:

A. The landscape is procedurally generated; so it's entirely possible to get huge flat plains and then cratered areas, like Pluto. There are also a lot of different weather events (a blizzard passes by in this demo). One journalist reported finding a planet that was covered 100% in a thick, volatile storm which damaged him so much he had to quickly hide in a cave. He could barely see 15 feet in front of him. It was all pitch black.

B. The closer you get to the center of the galaxy, the more NMS's procedural generation algorithm loses its mind. The laws of physics - e.g. landmasses, gravity and weather systems - begin to break. You'll get planets that are increasingly unsettling and surreal. Weird landscapes, floating islands, potentially inside-out places or oddly shaped planets.

As an aside, the same goes for animal life. Closer to the center of the galaxy = more fucked up, bizarre animal and plant life. Their example was like an elephant-sized creature getting melded with the animation model of a dog or a cat. In theory that can go all the way to worms, birds, etc.

The lead artist said things get pretty disturbing near the center of the galaxy.

Tigress

It just expands the idea of exploration. You're essentially discovering different biomes on a planetary scale instead of a geographic scale.

But you're missing my point. Having the planet all be one thing makes the planets boring and less interesting to go see. It's not even that I am complaining there aren't different biomes and I want to explore different biomes. I realize you change planets to do that. But I want to visit interesting planets and I just think a planet that is just one biome is bland. It's not even that I want to go visit all the biomes in the planet. I'd probably just visit a few areas. But when it's all the same thing it just makes for a boring planet.

SomTervo

But you're missing my point. Having the planet all be one thing makes the planets boring and less interesting to go see. It's not even that I am complaining there aren't different biomes and I want to explore different biomes. I realize you change planets to do that. But I want to visit interesting planets and I just think a planet that is just one biome is bland. It's not even that I want to go visit all the biomes in the planet. I'd probably just visit a few areas. But when it's all the same thing it just makes for a boring planet.

The single biome thing is disappointing, but note this info (from my post right above yours):

The closer you get to the center of the galaxy, the more NMS's procedural generation algorithm loses its mind. The laws of physics - e.g. landmasses, gravity and weather systems - begin to break. You'll get planets that are increasingly unsettling and surreal. Weird landscapes, floating islands, potentially inside-out places or oddly shaped planets.

As an aside, the same goes for animal life. Closer to the center of the galaxy = more fucked up, bizarre animal and plant life. Their example was like an elephant-sized creature getting melded with the animation model of a dog or a cat. In theory that can go all the way to worms, birds, etc.

The lead artist said things get pretty disturbing near the center of the galaxy.

SomTervo

It's kind of awesome that basically no matter how many planets they show us pre-release, odds are no one else will ever see them.

Let's just hope the same goes for animal life!

I think there are many more 'sci fi' animal types we havent seen yet. Already saw weird flying kite-like creatures and giant worms back in some trailers.

The potential is pretty huge.

My rule on what to expect for my exploration of NMS is simple : Find a planet boring? skip to the next one. I, at least, need to stay there 15 min, explore a little, naming things, verify if I can craft something out of the material I can find, but in the end... if I find the biome boring, I'll just take my ship and... go on another better, interesting planet.

I'm pretty sure you can find something to do, even if the planet is boring, you just need to know when to stop and pass to the next one, I guess.

Top Bottom