• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN First: No Man's Sky 21 Minute Gameplay Demo

Bethell

"I flew away from the planet, and if I go back everything will be regenerated" - so any changes you make to planets, anything you kill, mine, etc. is impermanent. Expected, but still a bummer.

Otherwise everything would be destroyed and considered a waste of time to search around

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I've been thinking about those interiors and what I said about there possibly being apartments we can rent. Then resources also become a way of staying comfortably on a planet while you explore. It also adds another layer to the befriending system if they make it cheaper based on your standing with which ever race owned the building.

Inviusx

The other thing that bugs me is that this planet was -165 degree celsius yet still had weird dragon/dinosaur creatures walking around. I know that I should suspend my disbelief because it's a game but it just looks like the planet seeding doesn't take climate into effect when it generates the fauna. Just looks silly to be honest.

To me the gameplay loop on the planet surface doesn't look any different from that of any other survival game out there (and is missing building or base building) and the shooting still looks bad.

The space stuff is going to have to carry this game for me if I play it

I can't relate to people getting excited about procedural generation, it's been done over and over in the past and has never produced interesting or fun content.

Quantum253

The other thing that bugs me is that this planet was -165 degree celsius yet still had weird dragon/dinosaur creatures walking around. I know that I should suspend my disbelief because it's a game but it just looks like the planet seeding doesn't take climate into effect when it generates the fauna. Just looks silly to be honest.

I thought the same thing. What got me though was when Sean mentioned, prior to attacking the trade vessel, that the moon had "water and islands and you can see a continent." Now if the planet was far enough away from the sun to be -165C, how could the moon support liquid water on the surface? I'm all for it, but that stood out to me.

I thought the same thing. What got me though was when Sean mentioned, prior to attacking the trade vessel, that the moon had "water and islands and you can see a continent." Now if the planet was far enough away from the sun to be -165C, how could the moon support liquid water on the surface? I'm all for it, but that stood out to me.
There are a lot of ways to scientifically justify that. Thicker atmosphere, younger moon with hot core, etc. The best justification though is 'who cares'?

Mivey

I can't relate to people getting excited about procedural generation, it's been done over and over in the past and has never produced interesting or fun content.
Therefore, it can never produce something interesting?
Even if I'd agreed with your premise (and I absolutely don't, but whatever, different strokes), your conclusion makes no sense. Judge the game, by itself, not your preconceptions. But the hype of this thing is getting on my nerve, even though I'm looking forward toward it.

gschmidl

To me the gameplay loop on the planet surface doesn't look any different from that of any other survival game out there (and is missing building or base building) and the shooting still looks bad.

Yeah, this was my reaction, too -- this video significantly reduced my interest in the game.

This is science fantasy folks, not science fiction. Can we just accept that please and not dissect it in a real world way.

Exactly! I still don't understand why people come to a video games and films that does not take place in reality and tack on real world expectations.

For some of the elements that people are disappointed by, I can understand the feeling but it doesn't detract from my hype for the game. It doesn't look that different from what has been shown before and from what I expected. As an sci-fi / fantasy fan, I'm excited for NMS to drop :)

The sleeping part kind of confused me. Don't see how the game can be a shared universe. What would an observer watching that planet have seen when Sean took his nap?

Hyped as fuck though.

Bold One

its really sad that 99% of these planets will never be visited, though I suspect there will be some hardcore lunatics who will compete for most planets visited.

Game keeps looking better with every new video. I've finally pulled the trigger and pre ordered on PSN seeing as I think I'll play this all generation long.

The possibilities of what to do in this are just mind blogging, though I'm leaning more towards explorer/protector role.

Every time Sean pulls up the galactic map, my jaw hits the floor at the scope of this game. It's unreal!

KeRaSh

I love that you can actually find underground caves.

The video is 60 fps which would indicate that it is running on a PC but the way grass and rocks popped in lead me to believe this was running on PS4...

Juicy Bob

Just the idea of a galaxy this big is mind-blowing to me.

The idea of the planets all being as large scale as they are and explorable is mind-blowing to me.

The fact that they have transitions from space to planet is mind-blowing to me.

The idea that everything is there to be explored and that I will be able to play the game and discover planets and see things that no one else will ever see is mind-blowing to me.

I can't wait

rainz

Sean nails it every single time he presents this game.. So good...

Have really enjoyed seeing him gradually present things since the beginning, the flow of info so far whilst trying not to give too much away, not an easy task. The team must be so keen to see this thing released by now hah..Can't freaking wait.

redfirm

Banned

Maybe its not water. maybe its something else?

FiraB

Banned
I love that you can actually find underground caves.

The video is 60 fps which would indicate that it is running on a PC but the way grass and rocks popped in lead me to believe this was running on PS4...
Game is 60fps on PS4, its one of the things they're always aimed for.

KeRaSh

That's great. Makes PSVR support quite likely. I think Sony will announce this at E3. It could huge if PSVR launches with VR support for No Man's Sky .

That would actually be on the level of a Wipeout VR announcement for me. The character in NMS moves pretty slowly. Maybe that's a deliberate choice to reduce potential motion sickness? *putsontinfoilhat*

HunRevan

I am a bit concerned about one thing. Whenever he goes into a system the planets look so close to each other. Like in every videos so far...

Huggers

I can't work out what I think of this game. Obviously it's sense of scale has always been incredible. We're seeing more and more of the mechanics of the gameplay now and I can't really tell whether it's for me or not. I feel like I might need more focus on what to do. Need to play it, I'll be buying it day one regardless

barit

It looks so awesome!

And that was PC footage right? Cuz if it was PS4 I'm really impressed with the smooth 60FPS the game has

WITHE1982

Looks pretty sweet so far. Think I'm going to jump on this day 1 (or not long after).

I'm hoping it's an easy game to pick-up and play in short bursts as I'm a bit time constrained and the universe is a big ass place.

Has it been confirmed that we can have more than one ship? I'd like a chance to create a vessel solely for exploring, one for trading and a gunship for being a space-dick.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I can't work out what I think of this game. Obviously it's sense of scale has always been incredible. We're seeing more and more of the mechanics of the gameplay now and I can't really tell whether it's for me or not. I feel like I might need more focus on what to do. Need to play it, I'll be buying it day one regardless

If you've ever played outside of the narrative of games like The Witcher 3, GTA or Farcry, you'll have a better idea of how this game is meant to feel. Thank of it as an interstellar version of Don't Starve but with far more sophisticated interactions and technology.

Dommel

I am a bit concerned about one thing. Whenever he goes into a system the planets look so close to each other. Like in every videos so far...

That's for demo purposes, he explained in an interview with Giant Bomb that in the game planets can be much further away from each other (iirc 15+ minutes of space flight).

Even moreso when you look down – that dot in the center of the image is the size of the demo area. It's insane. In fact, let's figure out how insane.

Let's say the world is roughly about 1300 pixels in diameter in this image. So assuming my math is right, the surface area of the world (A = 4 π r^2) would be 5,309,292 pixels. If we say the reticle dot that represents the land demo has an area of about 6 pixels, then the demo area we saw is only about 0.00011% of this world's surface.

lTkcw6K.jpg

Unfortunately this doesnt really mean much, as the entire surface of the planet is a single climate and probably also the same X number of creatures. So while such a huge planet looks nice, there doesnt seem to be too much reason to want to fully explore it. Which is as intended, as HG actively wants you to go to different planets to see new climates and plants and people and such, instead of staying on one planet all the time.

It looks so awesome!

And that was PC footage right? Cuz if it was PS4 I'm really impressed with the smooth 60FPS the game has
It looks like PC. It's the same game we saw in the other videos but with much better AA and a smooth frame rate.

In the menus you could see R1/L1/options button prompts, but I don't think that is running on a PS4.

No need to be concerned. All the planets ARE closer together, at least a lot closer than they would be in "reality". No way to get those huge moon skyboxes otherwise. There will be farther away planets as well, but huge moons and planets looming on the horizon will likely be the rule, more than the exception.

As some have pointed out, this is firmly in the science fantasy realm. It's evoking the mid century sci fi book cover aesthetic, rather than trying to be something like Elite: Dangerous.

Does anybody have info on penalties for dying in the game? I remember reading that you would lose resourses and maybe even your ship, but here it seems like there is basically no penalty.

Game is 60fps on PS4, its one of the things they're always aimed for.

I knew that was the original aim but never really knew if they hit 60fps or changed to 30fps. Good news if that's the case though and a pretty good sign it will get PS-VR support later on too.

E92 M3

There are still a lot of things that bother me.

• Police robots spawning from nowhere when you attack stuff
  • Calls itself a survival game, yet when you die the only consequence is respawning
  • Combat looks very bad even if it isn't the focus. A bit too arcade

Granted these are probably minor faults but still a bit annoying, just like the "pop in" and inevitable boredom you'll face exploring mostly empty planets. It boils down to what you want from a game: perfectly crafted, engaging worlds and experiences or mathematical, countless content that feels and looks artificial since it's procedural. I think Hello Games should have made some more stuff that is "static" in nature, maybe it's in the game though, I'm talking dungeons maybe, or a big alien that literally eats worlds, or pirates that actively kill everyone in a galaxy, etc. I have this feeling that No Man's Sky won't live up to the high expectations of it being "endless." We'll see soon enough.

My favorite aspect of Minecraft was exploration. This takes it up a million notches. It'll definitely be endless.

Inviusx

"I flew away from the planet, and if I go back everything will be regenerated" - so any changes you make to planets, anything you kill, mine, etc. is impermanent. Expected, but still a bummer.

This is another thing that annoys me. I understand that the whole point of the game is to travel and explore but that lack of persistence is troubling. Say I choose to mine underground and find something cool or unique like a large underground mineral deposit or a massive cave system, If I leave the planet then all of that progress is wiped.

They keep saying that we shouldn't get too attached to the planets and should be drawn to keep travelling around but if the planets are so static and restrictive then what is the draw to continue travelling and exploring? It's like a snake eating its tail.

That quote really killed my hype. I get the impression this game is all scale with no substance.

Mivey

That quote really killed my hype. I get the impression this game is all scale with no substance.
That is what you get for having a complete universe, they are also pushing procedural generation to a point where we haver seen it before, even the Elite games don't have such complex systems such as whole ecologies.
In turn you also pay something for that, but it would be weird to expect not pay something for it. There is no such thing as a free lunch.

I never wanted more from this game than for it to be an awesome tech demo. Not necessarily willing to pay 60$ for it, but I will definitely get it at some point.

This is another thing that annoys me. I understand that the whole point of the game is to travel and explore but that lack of persistence is troubling. Say I choose to mine underground and find something cool or unique like a large underground mineral deposit or a massive cave system, If I leave the planet then all of that progress is wiped.

They keep saying that we shouldn't get too attached to the planets and should be drawn to keep travelling around but if the planets are so static and restrictive then what is the draw to continue travelling and exploring? It's like a snake eating its tail.

That's not the case. I can't prove it but in one interview (maybe the previous IGN first) i could have sworn he said thing you do to a planet will remain but are only visible to you and not other players if another player ever discovers your holes in the ground etc. It's stored locally i believe he said. (someone correct me if wrong)

soqquatto

oh come on, "troubling". this is known since months. you either accept this or don't. it can't be "troubling". you're not losing your sleep over this.

it's not. you hop onto a planet, you find whatever you need, you look if that particular stop in your journey can be used to gain new information/technology/resources, you move on to a new planet, until the centre of the galaxy. this is the main flow for the game and it has been known as well for months. stop projecting things on this game: it's not going to be either minecraft or space engineers. if you want those, get'em, this will scratch a different itch.

KORNdoggy

i look at it the same way i look at, say, mobs in MMO's. the "content" needs to "respawn" to keep you playing. if you could ultimately clear an area on your own, it doesn't seem fair that the guy who happens across your planet doesn't get anything for being there. plus persistence in a game this vast must be far too much data to handle. we're talking real world sized planets and it remembering a small hole you dug years ago. ultimately you'll probably never find a favorite planet you want to settle down on. lol. it wants you to keep pushing forward. and seeing new generated planets.

E92 M3

That's not true, everything gets regenerated exactly how you left it down to the rock.

That's not true, everything gets regenerated exactly how you left it down to the rock.

I've heard opposite. I've heard that only things like blowing up space stations and major things like that will stay in the persistent universe or whatever you call it. But things like blowing up holes in the ground get wiped off the memory.

I assume this is the PC version right? Due to the fact that it runs on 60 fps in that video.

He plays with a Playstation 4 controller and their are PS button prompts, I think its just a better running new build, unless someone knows different?

You would think Sony will be pushing for improvements so they can announce NMS VR.

Top Bottom