• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN's Peer Schneider: "the NX is a complete reboot for Nintendo"

Status
Not open for further replies.

gafneo

Banned
Yes, because you want a handheld that last 3 minutes in your hands and that costs 999 $, just like the latest iPad you already bought just to play Infinity Blade and Candy Crush Saga.

Be realistic for one second : Nintendo won't make another console that costs more than the Wii U, witch is still asking too much regarding of the PS4 and X1 !

The Slim nX would be real. They can build a mid tier at any moment. Who said the handheld was a guarantee? Could just be a streaming service for the 3DS.

orioto

Good Art™
That wasn't my point, but I'll easily concede that since I didn't explain it... like, at all!

What I meant was that Nintendo with the Wii successfully made a lot of its franchises more casual-friendly, yet keeping the core appeal.

Let's not keep pretending the Wii kept any sort of core appeal... It damaged Nintendo's core image for good. Its sales died quicker than any other consoles. Third parties stopped doing anything on it (despite the amazing success). The Wii was anti core by its simple name, and philosophy. That's the way it was such a huge success.

Now people love to pretend, based on its numbers alone that it was a such a popular gaming console. That's a lie. The wii was actually rejected by gamers pretty quickly.

You can't have both.

system11

please get rid of TV-out port, it is just a cost and nobody want it (GameCube's DVI port anyone?).
NX is an Hybrid in the sense it can play Nintento iOS/(Android being a second choice) mobile games and Nintendo handheld games, and those are two different buckets, if Nintendo can take full advantage of each very uniqueness.

What?

Lack of TV port is why I don't own portables. They have cool games but fuck portable gaming and tiny screens.

Lutherian

The Slim nX would be real. They can build a mid tier at any moment. Who said the handheld was a guarantee? Could just be a streaming service for the 3DS.

No, it won't. We all know that the NX is a new Amstrad CPC that plays Commodore 64 games in monochrome.

bryanee

please get rid of TV-out port, it is just a cost and nobody want it (GameCube's DVI port anyone?).
NX is an Hybrid in the sense it can play Nintento iOS/(Android being a second choice) mobile games and Nintendo handheld games, and those are two different buckets, if Nintendo can take full advantage of each very uniqueness.

Speak for yourself. No TV-out = no buy.

gafneo

Banned
No, it won't. We all know that the NX is a new Amstrad CPC that plays Commodore 64 games in monochrome.

Thats what the NES classic was for. Nintendo is branching prices. Want Wii U for $300? No, lets sell a $200 New 3DS along side a $200 console hybrid and handheld system and see if no one notices.

At that point the simpler they could do to not make anyone angry, is to have a great portable, and the option to play it with a classic controller when plugged on a tv.

Having that whole detachable controller thing WILL come with concessions, less good ergonomics etc.. You don't design a thing that can do everything in every situation without severe concessions here and there... A detachable, then transformable IR pad thingy, beyond being an unmarketable 90's mess, won't give you the ergonomics WiiU owners or non portable players would like.. So what do you have in the end ?

We know nothing anyway. I'm just worried cause Nintendo has been guilty of one main thing that caused them to know several failures, and it's pretty simple: Wanting to do all the things at the same time.

Aim at a defined target and design the perfect product for them. If you want the perfect device that please the monster hunter fan and the soccer mom, you're gonna fail.
I'm not sure how the natural evolution of the wiimote is an unmarketable 90's mess and I doubt they will be the only controllers you can use. I will admit they may not be ergonomical but we don't know if those sketches look like the final product.

We know Nintendo is aiming for the "blue ocean" market so wanting to do all the things at the same time is not going to be a problem. That doesn't mean it can't be a decent product for hardcore gamers as it should have great support from Nintendo and those that supported the 3DS and Vita plus major sellers like COD and sport sims aren't out of the question.

please get rid of TV-out port, it is just a cost and nobody want it (GameCube's DVI port anyone?)

While for almost every user it'll go unused, like the PSP's TV Out solution, GC GBA adapter, PSTV, and various Android/iOS TV out solutions, you're talking to NeoGAF where there is a microcosm of people who would love the feature.

Let's not keep pretending the Wii kept any sort of core appeal... It damaged Nintendo's core image for good. Its sales died quicker than any other consoles. Third parties stopped doing anything on it (despite the amazing success). The Wii was anti core by its simple name, and philosophy. That's the way it was such a huge success.

Now people love to pretend, based on its numbers alone that it was a such a popular gaming console. That's a lie. The wii was actually rejected by gamers pretty quickly.

You can't have both.

It has a 9 tie ratio. Like other popular gaming consoles. You might also want to check the types of games that Nintendo has produced since its inception and continues to do so to this day.

What?

Lack of TV port is why I don't own portables. They have cool games but fuck portable gaming and tiny screens.

I am really glad i dont feel the way you do. Many of the best gaming experiences ive had have been on tiny portable screens. Probably 50/50 split really

Headphones go a long way to keeping me immersed in handheld experiences.

Koren

A certain kind of "gamer", definitively. "Gamers" in general doesn't really make sense.

I still think the usual definition of "gamer" is awful, in any case.

And this "core" isn't the main target of makers, anyway. That not the core that sold NES, PSOne or PS2... At best, you try to please those to get good mouth.

Yes, original DS was awesome, still i think NX really has the potential to reach it, not talking sales wise but for variety and quality of games, since being both next home and handheld Nintendo console they'll be all in into it, its line up could really be historical, of course it'll also have to sell well

DS was amazing because of 3rd party support, which already saw quite a break on 3DS.

maxcriden

Re-reading this part:
"-Detachable controllers are low budget. Very cheap (like the Wii nunchuck). Peer has heard they're using IR and it's not your main way of controlling the game (a "travel controller"). Speculates they could make cheap controllers that attach to the system.
-Peer thinks the 720p resolution for the screen is "very credible" and "very highly likely"."

I think that a standalone gamepad could be the main controller with nx being on the dock while the detachable controller is a maybe optional controller that lets you play the nx like a handheld while travelling.

When you say a standalone gamepad, do you mean like a Wii U GamePad or just a regular controller? Thanks.

Turrican3

Let's not keep pretending the Wii kept any sort of core appeal... It damaged Nintendo's core image for good.
I guess it depends on the definition of ”core” gamer.

Having the Wii actively rejected by both a certain audience and the publishers that go after that same audience to me does NOT mean it wasn't a core gamer's heaven.

It was a hugely innovative platform. It has arguably some of the finest Nintendo output ever and some of the best games of all time as well. Frankly speaking, I don't think we should accept GAF's take on this platform as gospel (I understand it's not exactly loved to death here)

You might want to look again at why the DS took off. Though not sure why I'm even attempting to engage that bait.

I'm rather unsure why you wouldn't even read such a small post fully. 3DS game variety is way below DS, because many 3rd parties even left Nintendo handhelds and/or stopped experimenting, so a library as good as DS isn't a safe bet. I didn't quote a sales post.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I know I've said it a ton on GAF already, but the Wii has easily the most underappreciated gaming library ever. It's phenomenal, both quality and variety.
Most underappreciated library ever is the Vita by a mile. But I somewhat agree with the sentiment. Wii probably has my favourite library on a Nintendo system. Rivalled only by DS. With that said I don't think it's library came anywhere close to touching PS3 or 360.

ggx2ac

You can't have both.

This is funny. Its sales "died" quicker than the other consoles because it already hit the saturation point quicker and got 101 million sales worldwide.

Look at PS3 and Xbox 360, they still haven't even got close to 100 million, they're still somewhere around 80-90 million. Microsoft has stopped production of the Xbox 360 and I'm still waiting for the same to be announced for PS3 so that maybe we can finally have a thread declaring Wii as winning last gen because too many people were so adamant that the gen wasn't over and that PS3 would catch up on sales overtaking the Wii.

"The Wii is anti core...", Don't be stupid. There is no such thing as hardcore or casual, those are marketing buzzwords. Sony and Microsoft used those buzzwords to get people to buy a PS3/Xbox 360 and it's not surprising to see that it worked. You don't see statisticians define demographics by whether they are hardcore or casual, no, they use age, gender, not some stupid buzzwords.

"The wii was actually rejected by gamers pretty quickly."

*Sigh* So I guess those... What was it? 900 million software sales that the Wii made over its lifespan didn't mean anything? Don't make me laugh.

Edit: Oh, another fact. Nintendo didn't do much in the rejuvenation cycle of the Wii. They released a "slim" version that didn't look much different and got rid of GCN BC.

Microsoft/Sony on the other hand put in a lot for the rejuvenation cycle which was why last gen went on for 8+ years, they had to recuperate the billion dollar losses they made by doing anything to get people to buy a 360/PS3 which included making the Kinect and the PS Move. Talk about irony with regards to hardcore/casual gamers.

I'm rather unsure why you wouldn't even read such a small post fully. 3DS game variety is way below DS, because many 3rd parties even left Nintendo handhelds and/or stopped experimenting. I didn't quote a sales post.

That post was still a valid response. Western third parties are putting out far less software and software variety period on the traditional market. Even on consoles they want to support. That's never going to change while the mid end of the market has all but vanished in the traditional market.

Those developers have either been swallowed into the franchise farm machines or they're in the greener pastures of producing smaller games on mobile and pc

MacTag

Banned
DS was amazing because of 3rd party support, which already saw quite a break on 3DS.
I'd take the 3rd party 3DS lineup over DS any day. It added things like Monster Hunter, Bravely Default and Sega 3D Classics while still holding on to things like Dragon Quest, Etrian Odyssey and Layton.

The only thing I really miss from DS is Castlevania, but then that's really an industry wide loss.

Lutherian

I wish SquareEnix supported the GC, the Wii and Wii U like they supported the GBA, DS and 3DS. Are you guys insane ? Didn't you see what the 3DS got and will get in a few months ? Bravely Default, KH 3D, Theatrhythm Final Fantasy, Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call, FF: Explorers (even if it's a very bad game), Bravely Second, DraQue VII, DraQue VIII, DraQue XI in Japan.

Did Atlus supported the GC, Wii and Wii U ? Nope. But darn ! SMT IV, Persona Q, Etrian Odyssey 4, 5, 1, 2... wow !

It need to sell. If the system don't, they won't support it. Nintendo handhelds sell a lot (3DS didn't at start because of a nomber of problems, like the price for starter).

Oh, and do I need to talk about Capcom ? Let's see... RE: Commando, RE: Revelations, SSF IV, MH3U, MH4U, MHG, MHStories... and for the Wii U ? Oh, MH3U and see ya.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I agree with this. Believe it or not I didn't give a shit about the first party lineup on DS. I can count the amount of Nintendo games I cared about on DS on one hand. But that third party lineup? That's what made the system great. Very odd for a Nintendo platform. That went away with the 3DS.

You can't have both.
I feel like for many gamers, Nintendo was essentially dead and out of the competition for most of the Wii's life, and the Wii U was an extension of a brand they hated. So that's about 10 years of no Nintendo, a generation of gamers who matured to Xbox/PS while Nintendo was left behind.

They needed that Wii HD.

You can't have both.

Core vs casual is just a bunch of arbitrary, exclusionary bull. They weren't even considered things before the Wii and DS.

I hope they show Aonumas new IP when they reveal the NX. They probably won't, but it could be Shiek related and they want to tie it in altogether

"sure, lo zaffo, we will get rid of half of this device's reason for existence. Sounds real smart"

You can't have both.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 and Donkey Kong Country Returns. Loved by grandmas the world over.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 and Donkey Kong Country Returns. Loved by grandmas the world over.

I think New Super Mario Bros. Wii would be a better example there honestly, considering that's the game that sold to the "mainstream" crowd, and thus far more likely to be "loved by grandmas". Compare its 30 million units sold to Galaxy 2's 7 million units and you'll see what I mean.

I think New Super Mario Bros. Wii would be a better example there honestly, considering that's the game that sold to the "mainstream" crowd, and thus far more likely to be "loved by grandmas". Compare its 30 million units sold to Galaxy 2's 7 million units and you'll see what I mean.

I guess I should start using the ol' /s more often.

BY2K

Membero Americo
You know that no matter what Nintendo does at the announcement of the NX, people will still say it sucks, right?

Doomed, behind the times, all that stuff?

It's not gonna be all fun.

javadoze

Two weeks left in September.

Hurry up Nintendo

You can't hurry the calendar. We wait patiently for October.

1012_frozen-last-breath.jpg

You know that no matter what Nintendo does at the announcement of the NX, people will still say it sucks, right?

Is it gonna be a powerful device with awesome games and awesome nintendo games? All signs point to yes.

This is coming from a gamer who had the ps4pro pre-ordered day one. I was the first pre-order at my gamestop.

Nightbird

At this point i just want the reveal to happen so the speculation can stop.

I'm sick of it by now.

yes, i could just not visit the threads, but considering how some of them explode, it always seems like new info is revealed in them

Core vs casual is just a bunch of arbitrary, exclusionary bull. They weren't even considered things before the Wii and DS.

I don't even remember there being a Japan vs Western debate before last gen either.

A game was a game. You liked it or you didn't.

It didn't matter what country it came from. It was never really part of the equation.

gafneo

Banned
I was just watching Steve Jobs talk about how working on new tech had to benefit the customers first and foremost, rather than just be a new idea.

What do customers care about that we are not getting from Nintendo?

Competitive online features or comparing advances made by competitors

Normal release dates and announcements

comfortable and attractive handhelds

limited button mapping

The worst battery life in all products

No 1st party universal charging solutions

most software not taking advantage of innovative controls

thinking of how to sell a third party developers game

thinking Starfox made sense to control in the Andross stage where I had to look at the bottom screen to see openings while trying not to crash at the same time in looking at the top screen's fixed cam 2d view.

I was just watching Steve Jobs talk about how working on new tech had to benefit the customers first and foremost, rather than just be a new idea.

What do customers care about that we are not getting from Nintendo?

Competitive online features or comparing advances made by competitors

Normal release dates and announcements

comfortable and attractive handhelds

limited button mapping

The worst battery life in all products

No 1st party universal charging solutions

most software not taking advantage of innovative controls

thinking of how to sell a third party developers game

thinking Starfox made sense to control in the Andross stage where I had to look at the bottom screen to see openings while trying not to crash at the same time in looking at the top screen's fixed cam 2d view.

You're getting duped into paying to use your existing internet connection on consoles and you're making a list?

Perhaps while we speak about battery issues we can ask Kotaku to do a battery test-off between the 3ds (or even Wii u pad) and the dualshock 4. You can listen to their report on your headphones through a proprietary adapter on your new 900 dollar Apple devices - a clear benefit to their consumers.

Is anyone else getting tired of all these "rumor and speculation" topics regarding the NX?

Nintendo has yet to even show anything regarding the system - it just gets really tiresome to keep seeing topics about it.

FZZ

Banned

Idk I've warmed up to the idea of a hybrid, mainly because of Breath of the Wild mind you but still

If it looks slick and the games they show are dope that's all I'll need

Wii U disappointed me a lot fam, 3DS outside of the first few years didn't hold up that well either for me. NX can legitimately satisfy all my gaming needs, that's pretty exciting imo.

Twiforce

When people say the Wii (or any Nintendo system) had no appeal to """core gamers""" what they really mean is a carefully cultivated audience of teenage-to-thirty-something middle class straight men who like to engage in toxic masculine power fantasies with high production values. The divide between core and casual gamers to begin with is just nerd elitism crafted by a bunch of insecure young men who were angry that that Nintendo let a bunch of women, children and old people into "their" space. So they needed a way to declare themselves different; superior. So they're "core" which means they're ~real gamers.~

In my own anecdotal experience, a lot women prefer Nintendo platforms like the Wii and 3DS, myself included. The Wii was also plenty liked even by gaming enthusiasts whose tastes differed from the mainstream aforementioned power fantasies- people who preferred traditional/retro/arcade type of experiences, and those who liked colorful, niche Japanese games. And yes, Nintendo fans still count as enthusiasts or "core gamers" if you prefer.

Interestingly, slightly related, the most popular platform with women is mobile, which is also the least "real" gaming platform according to "core gamers."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom