• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN's Peer Schneider: "the NX is a complete reboot for Nintendo"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speely

Banned
Is anyone else getting tired of all these "rumor and speculation" topics regarding the NX?

Nintendo has yet to even show anything regarding the system - it just gets really tiresome to keep seeing topics about it.

Nah, I find them fun and amusing. Plus, it's interesting (for me) to see what peoples' takes on the rumors are and then compare that to the final product, for almost any launch. I also genuinely like watching people have hype meltdowns. It's soothing to me.

Anth0ny

I'm thinking they're gonna drop the price on 3DS when NX drops.

$99 for 2DS, $149 for N3DS, $199 and $249 for NX (2 SKUs), Wii U left the same and forgotten.

Is anyone else getting tired of all these "rumor and speculation" topics regarding the NX?

Nintendo has yet to even show anything regarding the system - it just gets really tiresome to keep seeing topics about it.
They're harmless.
It's better than complete silence.
And you hold the power to not let them bother you.

When people say the Wii (or any Nintendo system) had no appeal to """core gamers""" what they really mean is a carefully cultivated audience of teenage-to-thirty-something middle class straight men who like to engage in toxic masculine power fantasies with high production values. The divide between core and casual gamers to begin with is just nerd elitism crafted by a bunch of insecure young men who were angry that that Nintendo let a bunch of women, children and old people into "their" space. So they needed a way to declare themselves different; superior. So they're "core" which means they're ~real gamers.~

Yeah, I can't really disagree with any of this.

aBarreras

When people say the Wii (or any Nintendo system) had no appeal to """core gamers""" what they really mean is a carefully cultivated audience of teenage-to-thirty-something middle class straight men who like to engage in toxic masculine power fantasies with high production values. The divide between core and casual gamers to begin with is just nerd elitism crafted by a bunch of insecure young men who were angry that that Nintendo let a bunch of women, children and old people into "their" space. So they needed a way to declare themselves different; superior. So they're "core" which means they're ~real gamers.~

In my own anecdotal experience, a lot women prefer Nintendo platforms like the Wii and 3DS, myself included. The Wii was also plenty liked even by gaming enthusiasts whose tastes differed from the mainstream aforementioned power fantasies- people who preferred traditional/retro/arcade type of experiences, and those who liked colorful, niche Japanese games. And yes, Nintendo fans still count as enthusiasts or "core gamers" if you prefer.

Interestingly, slightly related, the most popular platform with women is mobile, which is also the least "real" gaming platform according to "core gamers."

I SAY GODDAMN, so freaking true

gafneo

Banned
You're getting duped into paying to use your existing internet connection on consoles and you're making a list?

Perhaps while we speak about battery issues we can ask Kotaku to do a battery test-off between the 3ds (or even Wii u pad) and the dualshock 4. You can listen to their report on your headphones through a proprietary adapter on your new 900 dollar Apple devices - a clear benefit to their consumers.

The DS4 battery is crap too. I'm not talking about paying more for online, but if that's what it takes to get essential features, then why not? Also the Wii U had a built in mic and they chose to ignore it's use for online gaming. Maybe a parental control issue, but is something that costs them big in the end.

Anth0ny

In my own anecdotal experience, a lot women prefer Nintendo platforms like the Wii and 3DS, myself included. The Wii was also plenty liked even by gaming enthusiasts whose tastes differed from the mainstream aforementioned power fantasies- people who preferred traditional/retro/arcade type of experiences, and those who liked colorful, niche Japanese games. And yes, Nintendo fans still count as enthusiasts or "core gamers" if you prefer.

Interestingly, slightly related, the most popular platform with women is mobile, which is also the least "real" gaming platform according to "core gamers."

Orrrrrr they just didn't go after the 18-34 male demo as hard as the completion. Which is true.

And the 18-34 male demo is the loudest on the Internet, in the playground at school... They'd have you believe the Wii was garbage and Nintendo has no idea what they're doing, when in reality their money is just as good to Nintendo as the silent majority that actually bought wiis.

Clefargle

Yup, and this attitude extends into discussions about Nintendos future in hardware. Many, many GAF members have posted graphs showing nintendos supposed decline into irrelevance in the console space. Whenever anyone points out the DS/Wii era as an outlier, they get dogpiled by claims that that generation: "was a fluke", "doesn't count", "lightning in a bottle", etc.

gafneo

Banned
And if they half assed the reveal im sure you and others would be complaining.

They did half ass the reveal because they chose to delay it too many times.They passed on E3, sure, Gamescom, why? Their own direct, hell no, and TGS, OK now what other opportunity is there left?

Speely

Banned
And if they half assed the reveal im sure you and others would be complaining.

Pretty much. I have a (strangely) good feeling about how the reveal will be handled. Recently, Nintendo has been pretty smart in regard to marketing, what with the Olympics thing and the way they made a big splash at the Apple conference. If they nail the reveal in a way that capitalizes on that and lets consumers know exactly what the NX is, we will be on track for a healthy release. (Perhaps an overly-optimistic outlook, but not outside of the realm of possibility by any means.)

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
I'm thinking they're gonna drop the price on 3DS when NX drops.

$99 for 2DS, $149 for N3DS, $199 and $249 for NX (2 SKUs), Wii U left the same and forgotten.

A price drop for some models seems very likely to me, but I believe your idea of the 3DS's current pricing is off. If we're talking about US pricing, 2DS is already $80 with Mario Kart 7, n3DS is $150 with Super Mario 3D Land, and n3DS XL is $200 without a bundled game.

By the time NX launches, I think 2DS will be the same, n3DS could be down to $120, and n3DS XL would be at $150. At minimum, I think n3DS XL must hit $180 (receiving the same price drop as n3DS did earlier this year), potentially with a bundled game as well.

The DS4 battery is crap too. I'm not talking about paying more for online, but if that's what it takes to get essential features, then why not? Also the Wii U had a built in mic and they chose to ignore it's use for online gaming. Maybe a parental control issue, but is something that costs them big in the end.

Yes, Steam and Origin PC prove that paying twice to use your internet connection is required for a good online experience.

ThisGuy

Why do some people believe the Nx will drop for 200-249?

Im expecting 299. The gimmick of being a home console that is a portable is very appealing.

gafneo

Banned
Yes, Steam and Origin PC prove that paying twice to use your internet connection is required for a good online experience.

lol, I don't think I played on Steam's online since Half Life 2 deathmatch came out. If it can be free, that's better for the customer.

aBarreras

Im expecting 299. The gimmick of being a home console that is a portable is very appealing.

don't listen to this guy! :p

i hope it is on the cheaper end, because with the situation on the dollar here in mexico, it will be expensive as shiiiiiiiit,

also nintendo loves to add nintendo tax on mexico, the freaking wii u is as expensive as a ps4

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

Because a year or so ago, a rumor randomly popped up that Nintendo was targeting a mass market pricepoint for impulse buyers. Something really cheap compared to the other systems on the market. Then, nothing.

All of a sudden, the leaks come out, and MCV hears the exact same thing. "Much cheaper than expected."

Where there is smoke, there is fire.

As for the system, here's why I think they may target $199:

**Rumors of insanely good deal with Nvidia for CPU
**Unique controller input patent which makes controllers need hardly any internals, driving down cost
**No disc drive, reducing cost of hardware
**Pascal CPU is much better than Tegra X1 for heat distribution, reducing size and cooling needed in the system

Every rumor right now is pointing at a system that could surprise everyone with a low price. People on here will say, "If it isn't as powerful as PS4, it's dead in the water." I don't believe that at all. If this thing somehow releases at $199, all bets are off.

fossi8

Someone needs to take advantage of the growing market of tablets and mobile, still there are billion$ around consoles market, Nintendo is approaching both with the NX. If they are positioning this hybrid innboth markets they will print money for sure and dont forget the mobile incursion, theme licensed parks, Nintendo ia going to a different direction than powerful machines.

Mithos

Every rumor right now is pointing at a system that could surprise everyone with a low price. People on here will say, "If it isn't as powerful as PS4, it's dead in the water." I don't believe that at all. If this thing somehow releases at $199, all bets are off.

Indeed, it has to be cheaper then Xbox One / PS4 since its going to be less powerful, or they are going to loose a lot of buyers, because not everyone is looking for their next portable system, some of us are looking for something to hook up to our TV's.

It need to be competitive, either with powerful hardware or a really good price, lower then its competitors.

They did half ass the reveal because they chose to delay it too many times.They passed on E3, sure, Gamescom, why? Their own direct, hell no, and TGS, OK now what other opportunity is there left?

Their own fucking event like Sony and Microsoft do for their hardware?

It will have all the same coverage as if they revealed it at a show.

This weight people put on tradeshows is ridiculous. The media/press cycle doesn't stop between them.

ALL THAT MATTERS is that the software and features are ready and in a presentable state to wow people. The timing of that doesn't matter. The hundred million dollar marketing campaign won't start until a few weeks before launch anyway

Paracelsus

Price is the last thing NX is gonna have to worry about. First of all they have to consider the fact the dedicated portable market is on life support in the west, all the more for a console that doesn't have smartphone capabilities like the PSV should totally have had. If the thing is 200 but doesn't work as a phone it could output to 8k and it'd still have problems to sell anywhere but Japan (sounds like their dream, play on the go and keep going at home without wasting any of your 6 tatami.

gafneo

Banned
Yeah, I see 299$ as well.
Whatever you hope for, add at least 50$.

$350 is probably just for 1 unit. The NX is said to have a powerful console at a later date. If they directly compete with power, it will be priced slightly lower for the main console. $200 is what they have been charging for handheld, but I can't see them dropping New 3DS by that much because that thing just came out. The handheld is either a new controller for Wii U, or some expensive life changing smart device.

The nX console should probably launch in November with a lower price than Scorpio but with a worth while horse power.

This weight people put on tradeshows is ridiculous. The media/press cycle doesn't stop between them.

While i disagree with your tone, I share your sentiment. Skipping trade shows is definitely the right movie in my opinion. All eyes will be on Nintendo when they decide to finally unviel this thing which is likely why they have waited so long to do so. Scorpio is announced as is Neo and the new iphone hardware suite.

I'm not sure if it will, but I think it sort of has to be $250 with the slim and xbox one at 299.

If they are aiming for being more of a hybrid/secondary system than it needs to be priced more competitively.

The 300/350 price point did not work for the WiiU

rardk64

Nintendo is taking too long to announce this thing.

I keep wanting to say this (and I do say it), but then I also think "just do it when you're ready, Nintendo. It has to be great."

But I don't know...I've been so conditioned to expect delays lately that it's hard for me to accept that it will release in March. That said, I think with all the talk, they can't push it past March. Can they?

$350 is probably just for 1 unit. The NX is said to have a powerful console at a later date. If they directly compete with power, it will be priced slightly lower for the main console. $200 is what they have been charging for handheld, but I can't see them dropping New 3DS by that much because that thing just came out. The handheld is either a new controller for Wii U, or some expensive life changing smart device.

The nX console should probably launch in November with a lower price than Scorpio but with a worth while horse power.

No offense dude but only like two people are championing an NX console. I wouldnt place my bets on there being one. Doing so is setting yourself up for disappointment.

Taker666

To some perhaps...and even then, only if the price is right. If it's designed primarily to appeal to the handheld market it has to be sub $200 to gain traction (3DS proved that)...if it's to appeal to the home console owners then it has to be cheaper than XboxOne and PS4 if the hardware is weaker.

The consumer who wants both devices is a niche market..most would rather have one or the other.

I keep wanting to say this (and I do say it), but then I also think "just do it when you're ready, Nintendo. It has to be great."

But I don't know...I've been so conditioned to expect delays lately that it's hard for me to accept that it will release in March. That said, I think with all the talk, they can't push it past March. Can they?

They can't afford to be absent from the console space for basically another entire year. It HAS to come out in March.

Arguably they are already pushing it not releasing it this Holiday.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Just a heads up, the Paralympic closing ceremony is happening right now. Can we expect anything Nintendo-related for the Japan handover tonight?

Yeah, I'm expecting 299. The price of the Wii U will make it seem much more appealing, hopefully.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

ALL THAT MATTERS is that the software and features are ready and in a presentable state to wow people. The timing of that doesn't matter. The hundred million dollar marketing campaign won't start until a few weeks before launch anyway

Sure... there is only one HW maker driving in the highway and wondering why everyone else is insane and going the wrong way against the right flow of traffic...

Name me the major Consumer Electronics makers that skip major trade shows for HW announcements or do not have their own mega events for HW and/or software announcements for developers.

gafneo

Banned

The main thing for me is that when I can rely on events, I can plan what to buy a head of schedule. No one knows where and when this Nintendo announcement will drop, so people are blowing money on PS4 Pro, Xbox1 S, PSVR, Iphones, Apple Watches, you name it. By March, who is going to know what amount of money will be in their bank?

They can't afford to be absent from the console space for basically another entire year. It HAS to come out in March.

Dont agree. This holiday will be packed with ps4, xbox and iphone shoppers.

Come march, peoples wallets will have recovered, no devices from competitors will be releasing and tax returns (at least in the US) should be going out.

ggx2ac

What am I reading?...

Some Fan-fiction?

Alll aboard!!!

3iys6.jpg

;_; desolc daerht siht teg annog os mi

Why are they driving into the sun?

Hilarion

Pretty much this. I'm basically the guy described in that bolded part there, and while I didn't have a Wii while it was living, I've played a ton of Wii games this past year on the Wii U, from Sakura Wars V to Okami to No More Heroes I + II to Trauma Center to both Galaxy games to Kirby Return to Dreamland to Sin and Punishment Star Successor to Punchout and I have had a total blast. The Wii's back catalog is stunningly compelling and full of really niche titles that would struggle to find a place on any platform today.

I feel people are quick to dismiss software not aimed at "core" people as worse software by default. I challenge anyone to play Cooking Mama or a good Harvest Moon game or one of the Brain Age titles and not discover that they're delightful. I keep seeing people on this very site refer to games like Brain Age or Nintendogs as "trash" when they're some of the best software Nintendo has made in the 21st century. No one ever tries to actually explain what made Nintendogs "bad" because the stance that it's "bad" is borderline indefensible. It's just not for you.

Calm Mind

I would give you my member status if I could.

Malakai

If the NX takes off like the Wii/DS did, I'm wondering what lame excuses third party publishers are going to come up with to not to make games for it and/or load it up to the brim with shovel-ware with poor marketing and advertising. Or are they going to sabotage the platform like they did the 3DS(which won't happen due Nintendo purportedly having an epic launch lineup for the first year)

You read correctly. My belief is that Nintendo is going to stick it out.

So youre choosing to believe one rumor as opposed to the dozen or so from outlets such as Eurogamer, IGN, and the Wallstreet Journal?

One rumor that no one else has corroborated on?

Can I at least ask why you believe these things other than your own willful insistence?

udivision

You read correctly. My belief is that Nintendo is going to stick it out.

You really shouldn't do this to yourself.

If the NX takes off like the Wii/DS did, I'm wondering what lame excuses third party publishers are going to come up with to not to make games for it and/or load it up to the brim with solve-ware with poor marketing and advertising. Or are they going to sabotage the platform like they did the 3DS(which won't happen due Nintendo purportedly having an epic launch lineup for the first year)

They've basically already been saying that Nintendo fans don't buy their games.

rardk64

I agree. That's what keeps me excited for March, and a hopefully soon (October?) reveal. I just need to know what this thing is, and ideally what kinds of games it will have at launch. I know they're holding things back for NX, so they have GOT to have some launch games ready to show with the console reveal.

I agree. That's what keeps me excited for March, and a hopefully soon (October?) reveal. I just need to know what this thing is, and ideally what kinds of games it will have at launch. I know they're holding things back for NX, so they have GOT to have some launch games ready to show with the console reveal.

Having a robust launch is one reason Nintendo has offically posited for the delay

gafneo

Banned
If the NX takes off like the Wii/DS did, I'm wondering what lame excuses third party publishers are going to come up with to not to make games for it and/or load it up to the brim with solve-ware with poor marketing and advertising. Or are they going to sabotage the platform like they did the 3DS(which won't happen due Nintendo purportedly having an epic launch lineup for the first year)

Third party can't say anything because they are already making stuff tailored to both the core and casual. The casual already thought the 360 and Kinect was a Wii 2.0. Wii U was like the same exact thing to that. Nintendo will have the casual market fulfilled, while the core minorities will have their power house games that appease third parties who already exist on other consoles. If the pendulum where to swing on one side longer than the other, its a mistake that will force them to choose sides.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom