• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm more sick of people complaining of "PC Culture" then PC Culture at this point

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonm1010

Banned
Against all my prior beliefs, the Internet made the world a worst place. People's reactions are more anti things than pro things. People being sick of things. People being against PC. People are against Hillary, against Trump, against religion, against atheists. If anything, I'm sick of people being sick of things. And then I feel sick with myself, because I'm doing it too.
I think this speaks to the emotional nature of humans in general.

We are much more prone to respond to things that poke our emotional responses then just our intellectual.

Everyone can explain how something makes them feel - whether the dress is black and blue or white and gold - not everyone can make an articulated case for what broken windows policy is and why it should end or what is the best detailed path to lower drug prices.

Condom

Against all my prior beliefs, the Internet made the world a worst place. People's reactions are more anti things than pro things. People being sick of things. People being against PC. People are against Hillary, against Trump, against religion, against atheists. If anything, I'm sick of people being sick of things. And then I feel sick with myself, because I'm doing it too.
You can always join my exclusively positive intranet if you want

RawNuts

I don't like all the hate that PC gamers keep getting.

kappa
bet this joke hasn't been made a thousand times

EmSeta

My main gripe with PC culture is that I think it's healthy to be exposed to uncomfortable ideas and language. I personally want to hear arguments from all sides before I make up my mind. I think making jokes and laughing at painful issues is ultimately healing and important. Today's echo chambers and opinion silos just drive people further apart.

KRod-57

Banned
GAF is usually very PC. Just look at the sombrero thread where non-Mexicans were getting offended more than actual Mexicans.
Gaffers get triggered if you use the term SJW even when the term is extremely relevant (Hawaiian bobble head girl)

I actually have a funny story about a comment I made online during the Olympics.. basically what happened is I compared a particular athlete to a superhero (more specifically a Cyborg), but the thing that got me in trouble was the Olympian I was admiring was a female athlete.. so I received a reply that insinuated that I was being sexist, because I apparently just couldn't accept the fact that a female athlete was that talented

I had also made comments comparing Michael Phelps to an Atlantean, but never received any complaints. It was a hell of a thing

Oddish1

My main gripe with PC culture is that I think it's healthy to be exposed to uncomfortable ideas and language. I personally want to hear arguments from all sides before I make up my mind. I think making jokes and laughing at painful issues is ultimately healing and important. Today's echo chambers and opinion silos just drive people further apart.

I think that PC culture on the whole is a good thing, because it is not, and should not be removing uncomfortable ideas, but about presenting those ideas in ways that are respectful and non-insulting. People take it too far to remove anything that might be controversial, but that's people for you.

People who use words like "sjw" and "triggered" unironically are unable to have an actual discussion. They use them like an impenetrable wall against arguments, degrading the person they talk to, devaluing their arguments as sheepish political correctness without bothering to actually listen to said arguments.

No surprise that the people using those terms usually subscribe to more extreme political point of views.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
People who use words like "sjw" and "triggered" unironically are unable to have an actual discussion. They use them like an impenetrable wall against arguments, degrading the person they talk to, devaluing their arguments as sheepish political correctness without bothering to actually listen to said arguments.

No surprise that the people using those terms usually subscribe to more extreme political point of views.

I spend far too much time on reddit to take terms like "SJW" and "PC culture" seriously.

All of this is true.

commedieu

Banned
It seems like code these days. To me, it seems like "why can't I say fucked up shit to people an have them agree?" "Oh that offends you? Fucking pc culture."

I mean were all growing up as a culture. It's not cool to do things you did in the past, with some things. But I feelpeople have had it their way for so long, they don't want to let go of their bubble world.

Monocle

Political correctness is ruining this country, I miss when I could openly disparage homosexuals, blacks, transgender people, women, etc. without anyone caring!!!!
PC culture makes it impossible to state my honest opinion that some people are disgusting and inferior without being called a bigot!

Seems pretty bigoted and intolerant to me! ;)

Nothing says "I'm a fucking manchild who's impervious to reason" like the unironic use of the term SJW.

I'm actually just sick of people not being able to see the world has more choices than two. Every debate on the internet falls into a "for or against" dick handling contest. It's why I quit posting in threads about any of the hot topics. The extreme left and right are pushing the people in the middle away from the topic, hilariously benefiting the current establishment regardless.

I'm really tired of the notion that people's sense of offence at trivialities entitles them to bully and shout down anybody they feel like taking their life's frustrations out on under the false guise of "justice." It's obnoxious, transparent and it needs to fade. People do need to get over themselves to a degree. Not every little thing you can project a slight onto is "part of the problem" and a tile in the mosaic of historical tragedy.

All that said? People who use the term "PC" are always worse. They're trying to insulate themselves from having to look at the real damage their views do.

20cent

Banned
It took me 2 to 3 minutes to understand what the title meant. It's than not then.

Comments about right-wing people and their safe space, on NeoGaf/Off-Topic, is very ironic.

Dalibor68

Banned
Comments about right-wing people and their safe space, on NeoGaf/Off-Topic, is very ironic.

Yep, people don't seem to detect irony well here around these parts. I guess once you dwell in your felt moral superiority for too long you lose perspective.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
Mmmm no.

Racist ideology can exist on either side and along any point of the political spectrum.

It has a bigger presence on the right but it's not exclusive
It's not. Therefore racist militants on the left. That wasn't my point.

It's that you cannot escape Right views from racism.

RJT

It was like that before the internet, too. You just couldn't hear it. The financial bar to publish and broadcast was such that you only heard things that were important or going to make someone a profit. Now you can hear and see everything, all the time. And everyone, including you and me, are contributing to the cacophony.

Trump, ISIS, nationalistic movements. They all use that amplification to gain power from the masses. You can say I'm being pessimistic, sure, maybe this is all just a phase.

The people who complain about Pc culture are blind as fuck and spend too much time on the Internet reading about the things that piss them off rather than actually experiencing them in real life. Fucked up things still happen all over the world,
The amount of people I see bitch about feminists without having a fucking clue what one is let alone actually having met is fucking ridiculous.

the only time pc culture can "go too far" is when you are literally not allowed to speak your opinions that are actual opinions and not hate speech and right now the only things that happens is that people get called out for being assholes and it not surprisingly pissed them off.

It's honestly the most annoying thing on the Internet right now

EmSeta

I spend far too much time on reddit to take terms like "SJW" and "PC culture" seriously.

Yeah, I don't like the term SJW, it tends to be used much too broadly by right wingers, and very often in cringeworthy situations.

But the phenomenon of branding any disagreeable speech as "hateful" is real, and there needs to be some way of combatting it.

It's not. Therefore racist militants on the left. That wasn't my point.

It's that you cannot escape Right views from racism.

I'm trying to agree with you but if we just agreed that racism has no fixed political leaning (that it can exist anywhere left or right) I feel a logical fallacy exists when it is said that you cannot escape it from right views...

Maybe if you have an example I'll understand your perspective better!

jem0208

It's funny how the people who complain the most about political correctness get triggered so easily, have their own safe spaces (4chan, MyPostingCareer, etc.), and subscribe to (white) identity politics.
In what world is 4Chan a safe space?

Audioboxer

Until free speech actually gets impeded on, all of the rambling about it, from any side is just noise.

Only tip I see as relevant to note is being on a private community/site and getting banned is not censoring of your freedom of speech. Nor is it if an individual blocks on you a platform. That is a gross misunderstanding of what freedom of speech is, and a learning curve for anyone who does get banned on a private site that has its own T&C. Some people can make genuine mistakes and get banned, but even then it is still not censoring of your freedom of speech.

As for people calling for opinions to be censored and shutdown because they don't like them, that is life. Welcome to navigating the messy world of being human and having to live alongside 7 billion other people. If you are on a community or social media platform and know you aren't breaking rules then who cares if someone is trying to shut you down? Either ignore them, engage civilly or block. At the very least expect blowback if you hold an unpopular belief, but again, that is life. You have to accept criticism when you make your views public. What no one needs to accept is threats or attempts to get them fired/doxed/hurt. All of that is largely illegal and you should face repercussions for such behaviour.

Dizzy

Banned
I actually have a funny story about a comment I made online during the Olympics.. basically what happened is I compared a particular athlete to a superhero (more specifically a Cyborg), but the thing that got me in trouble was the Olympian I was admiring was a female athlete.. so I received a reply that insinuated that I was being sexist, because I apparently just couldn't accept the fact that a female athlete was that talented

I had also made comments comparing Michael Phelps to an Atlantean, but never received any complaints. It was a hell of a thing
And I think that's why people are kind of tired of PC culture. Not because people disagree with the cause behind it, but because you get a small minority of people who try too hard to go on the attack like that. They perceive attacks where there are none. Sometimes it just feels like they're trying to score brownie points among their peers.

EmSeta

Until free speech actually gets impeded on, all of the rambling about it, from any side is just noise.

Only tip I see as relevant to note is being on a private community/site and getting banned is not censoring of your freedom of speech. Nor is it if an individual blocks on you a platform. That is a gross misunderstanding of what freedom of speech is, and a learning curve for anyone who does get banned on a private site that has its own T&C. Some people can make genuine mistakes and get banned, but even then it is still not censoring of your freedom of speech.

As for people calling for opinions to be censored and shutdown because they don't like them, that is life. Welcome to navigating the messy world of being human and having to live alongside 7 billion other people. If you are on a community or social media platform and know you aren't breaking rules then who cares if someone is trying to shut you down. Either ignore them, engage civilly or block.

No, it's not illegal to block someone from a forum, if that's the straw man you're tearing down.

But we can still talk about it as a problem. It furthers the creation of divisive opinion silos and echo chambers.

Audioboxer

No, it's not illegal to block someone from a forum, if that's the straw man you're tearing down.

But we can still talk about it as a problem. It furthers the creation of divisive opinion silos and echo chambers.

Nah, not that it is illegal, that it is censoring someones freedom of speech. That is what I said clearly above. Your freedom of speech is not being infringed on if you are banned on a forum or any other private site.

Like it or not as well NeoGAF has every right to purposely be an echo chamber if they wanted, as a private site, they can ban whoever they want for any reason they want. That doesn't happen though, I'm just saying it could and people could think it made the site a terrible place to go to, but it STILL wouldn't be an infringement on anyone's freedom of speech.

Being banned on GAF doesn't take away any of your civil rights, or your ability to carry on holding your beliefs in everyday life. It just means... you can't post on GAF?

People just need to mind their own god damn business and stop being dick heads in general.

If someone or something offends you and it's minor then get the fuck over it. If it's major and you feel marginalized for a legitimate and logical reason then you have a right to contest and object to that persons views. However don't start a bullshit tumblr campaign when someone shames you for pretending your a fucking owl.

Terrorblot

My favorite Firefox / Chrome add-on is the one that replaces the words "politically correct" with "treating people with kindness and respect".

In what world is 4Chan a safe space?

As a white person I always felt pretty darn safe posting on 4chan. At least that was until I developed some maturity and empathy. Then I wouldn't dare post on 4chan because that sort of behavior isn't accepted in their hive of bigotry and edginess.

Oppo

Nothing says "I'm a fucking manchild who's impervious to reason" like the unironic use of the term SJW.

I agree... but what would you call that outraged hula-girl uber passenger lady? not that she needs a label, buuuuut...

Audioboxer

I agree... but what would you call that outraged hula-girl uber passenger lady? not that she needs a label, buuuuut...

Not a very nice person? Someone incapable of behaving like we largely expect adults to in our complex and diverse public realm?

Or just a cheap shot, she's a bit of an asshole?

Unpleasant acts and general "nastiness" knows no gender/age/ethnicity boundaries. Individuals act as individuals and trying to take a case of someone acting like her and apply it to large chunks of people is what gets blowback. There's little need to run around trying to make up terminology for every individual who acts in a way we can frown upon, rather, just take them as individuals and call them out individually. Or just ignore them I guess. Life is too short to make it your mission to call out every shitty thing every shitty human being does. Rather largely focus on yourself and try your best to be as well rounded an individual as you can be.

RM8

Even if we create a label for such people, I bet the "omg PC culture!" crowd would start using it on people who say things like "man, maybe women should be respected more", "I don't think refugees are inherently bad people" or "maybe we shouldn't shoot black people". I'm guessing that's how SJW started? But really, as a fun experiment, post something like those things I wrote in the middle of a hot /r/worldnews thread and watch the results.

I feel like I don't see rampant Political Correcteness in my life. Maybe I don't pay enough attention. The only place where it seems to go overboard sometimes is online. People are generally assholes online. Everyone is at odds with each other all the time if their not in their echo chambers of online communities.
I don't know... Some people can't separate what the media and Internet say from what online says. "PC Culture" outside of these elements is pretty non-invasive. Maybe, it's just the way that I think, I don't have to censor myself when I speak, because I speak fairly inclusively, but I don't know how to measure this in public.

Though not really on topic, I found this interesting:
https://youtu.be/8LHdYTngNxk

Camjo-Z

It's funny how the people who complain the most about political correctness get triggered so easily, have their own safe spaces (4chan, MyPostingCareer, etc.), and subscribe to (white) identity politics.

Even as someone who generally likes to whine about PC stuff, I have to agree with this. Getting genuinely upset over trivial things is dumb across the board, which is why thin-skinned right wingers who crusade against political correctness for all the wrong reasons will always be vastly fucking worse than any "SJW".

Lmo911

You see more complaints of PC culture than actual PC culture because it's a defensive technique. It's a more complicated "I'm not racist, but..."

People prestage their conversations by saying it then they feel they don't have to defend themselves and if they do it's because of big scary PC SJWs. It's part of the larger persecution complex.

The easiest way to avoid complaints of PC is to subsribe to different communities. For example I post here and have done so since 2005 or so. While I love some aspects of OT (epic threads with Lionel for example) I basically avoid all political threads.

When I want my right wing fix I head to /r/The_Donald, Drudge Report, etc

Basically it feels like everywhere (both left and right communities) have become echo chambers and the only way to get a balanced view point is to jump from the hardcore left to the hardcore right discussion boards.

I actually don't know anymore where to find balanced discussion on the Internet. Does anyone know of good forums where left and right can discuss without mob jumpings?

I could see the position that echo chambers exist, but that is due in part to there being less valuable insight to glean from one side than the other.

I'll be honest, for some reason the whole OP I thought we were talking PC Culture as in PC Gamers or something, and was confused. It was the first reply that clued me in PC meant Political Correctness.

Wait wait wait wait wait.... OP was not talking about "PC gaming masterrace culture"!? OP was talking about "political correct" I assume? Lol my mind was blown.

In a meta twist, people complaining about people complaining about people being sjws are quickly outnumbering the two other categories on GAF

Seventy70

The "Are you OFFENDED!?!" thing is especially funny. Like, if you really don't care what others think, then you shouldn't care if they're offended. Yet, they seem to take offense to people being offended. I see this with comedians a lot. They say they don't care, but they come off as the ones that care the most. That phrase is usually brought up when they're upset that people don't agree with them.

Ron Mexico

I think a lot of people complain about a lot of things that aren't very important. I also think most of what we regard as outrage or controversy, is really just people having conversations about things. We live in a time where global broadcast and publication have become completely democratized, and so ubiquitous that we now publish and broadcast everything, from the most important to the the most trivial. And people are terrible at differentiating emotional states of other writers on the internet, so we often see a bunch of people talking about something and conflate it as a big deal, when it's really just a slow Monday and there's nothing else to talk about while we avoid work.

Completely agree here. We now live in a world where, like you said, exponentially more information is available to us. Since we've progressed so far in that regard, it highlights how there's not really a great way to capture tone, scope or otherwise designate what's more important, the wheat from the chaff so to speak. As a result, we end up in a situation where everything gets distilled into a "for" or "against" and there's pressure, whether real or implied, to make that binary choice, often times over things that are completely insignificant and really just something to talk about while avoiding work on a Monday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom