• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm more sick of people complaining of "PC Culture" then PC Culture at this point

Status
Not open for further replies.
latest

6gfdlPr.jpg

I'm actually just sick of people not being able to see the world has more choices than two. Every debate on the internet falls into a "for or against" dick handling contest. It's why I quit posting in threads about any of the hot topics. The extreme left and right are pushing the people in the middle away from the topic, hilariously benefiting the current establishment regardless.

Absolutely this, more frustrating these days is how the phrase "both sides" has turned into such a meme against the middle now it gets used where it doesn't apply. Christ this thread is filling up with strawmen at breakneck speed here.

RM8

Absolutely this, more frustrating these days is how the phrase "both sides" has turned into such a meme against the middle now it gets used where it doesn't apply. Christ this thread is filling up with strawmen at breakneck speed here.
I think "both sides" is a meme for good reason. It's often used to imply you're so above "both sides", and that your position is automatically better. Also because it's a terrible stance to adopt in so many issues. What would even be the "middle ground" in this case?

..but then I hear other people apply the anti-PC argument to politics... and I'm just thinking "uhh.. shouldn't politics of all things be politically correct?"

It's one thing to say a joke shouldn't have to be politically correct, it's another to say a political platform shouldn't have to be politically correct.

PC in politics in 2002-2003 is how we end up in an unjustified war.

Even if we create a label for such people, I bet the "omg PC culture!" crowd would start using it on people who say things like "man, maybe women should be respected more", "I don't think refugees are inherently bad people" or "maybe we shouldn't shoot black people". I'm guessing that's how SJW started? But really, as a fun experiment, post something like those things I wrote in the middle of a hot /r/worldnews thread and watch the results.
You're right. This is the cycle that already happened. SJW used to be reserved for people like that Hula woman then it devolved into being used as a blanket statement for anyone who wants a change someone else doesn't. Like most terms the internet took something clever and useful and ran it into the ground until it had no meaning anymore.

People spout off with nonsense and then derided for it. And that derision causes the "other side" to deride them for it! In other news, a UC Berkeley study confirms that water is wet! More at 11.

It really doesn't matter if people are derided for good reason, they'll strike back, anyway.

Robaperas

They sure are annoying, what bothers me more though is that everyone is either offended or outraged, even if no one said those words, you just can't be annoyed, bothered, bummed out, angry, etc, so those words lost any meaning or weight, like an overused swear/curse word.

They sure are annoying, what bothers me more though is that everyone is either offended or outraged, even if no one said those words, you just can't be annoyed, bothered, bummed out, angry, etc, so those words lost any meaning or weight, like an overused swear/curse word.
Truth.

Pendas

Banned
I hate people that complain about shit, period. PC culture is just the current fad that rustles every ones jimmies.

Audioboxer

When you said it like that it makes sense in such simple terms.

So many people's dials seem to go from 0 to 10 in an instant. Rather than maybe 0 to 4/5/6. Of course not everyone though, but I think that's a pretty visual way to represent the extremities sometimes seen.

Also there is the glaring fact some people appear to be at dial 10 on a messageboard when in reality they are sitting sipping tea, eating a sandwich and having an otherwise jolly time at home. Text on a messageboard/social site only tells a small part of the overall picture, and often when you read the text of someone else you might conjure up your visual imagery of them sitting furious at their keyboard. When in reality, they aren't. So much human emotion is lost in response via non-visual/audio technology. Bring back the good old days of face to face debates. Not 140 characters on Twitter, or carefully produced and edited YouTube videos.

Dem millennials and their short attention spans and cravings for "manufactured drama".

jem0208

For racists, from PC police or anyone with decency.
There’s nothing stopping “pc police” from going on 4Chan and posting whatever they’d like.

4Chan is nothing like a safe space, it’s just a collection of arseholes so nobody else wants to post there. I’m sure 4Chan people would love for “sjws” to start posting there, they’d probably find it entertaining.

4Tran

As it turns out, the people who are sensitive enough to constantly complain about PC culture tend to be very thin-skinned themselves. And to make them even more unlikable, this group is also characterized by a lack of empathy.

I hate people that complain about shit, period. PC culture is just the current fad that rustles every ones jimmies.
Just current? People have been complaining about political correctness for decades now.

There’s nothing stopping “pc police” from going on 4Chan and posting whatever they’d like.

4Chan is nothing like a safe space, it’s just a collection of arseholes so nobody else wants to post there. I’m sure 4Chan people would love for “sjws” to start posting there, they’d probably find it entertaining.

Or to put it more bluntly, 4Chan is a safe space for people wish to engage in certain behavior, where existing members aggressively police their borders to ensure that newcomers either conform to accepted norms for that community or else be driven away.

Seriously, specifically on GAF at times, I've read more mindless drivel from people complaining about "PC Culture" than annoyances actually spawned from "PC Culture". I'm of the mind that "PC Culture" in some cases stifles discussion and healthy dialogue. It isn't exactly a two-sided issue considering the nebulous definition of "PC Culture," but that doesn't really matter the when the only complaint of PC Culture is the strawman-esque arguement of "people need to stop being coddled." As someone who went to an fairly liberal college(I graduated a year ago), this obsession with "PC Culture" baffles me considering PC Culture was a non-issue for me or anyone I knew.

Let me just leave this to anyone who feels compelled to complain about "PC Culture":
Considering the concepts of safe-spaces, trigger warnings, etc. are mostly used within insular communities, I doubt this shit affects your physical, day-to-day life. So I don't need your constant option on something that has probably never affected your life or any community you're involved with. Thanks, and have a good day.

Ask yourself if PC culture is really a new thing, or are you buying into it just because the media makes a big deal out of a single guy being offended by a insensitively colored pop tart?
Is it possible, that just maybe people have always offended, and just thanks to social media, the empowerment of the individual is such that everyone, even a singular individual can spread their sensibilities. Like yourself. Being offended and outraged over people being offended and outraged.

Secondly, as others have said, I don't think what you think PC culture is, is what other think is PC culture. Labels and warnings are not new, just because they get a new name. Insensitivity and asking people to not be so sensitive are not new ideas.
Is it possible that maybe this perception of anti-PC outrage really just represents a logical counter ripple effect in this time of social progress? In the larger picture throughout history- Is it possible that other social movement and periods that went through changes, also had resistance to them, due to the fact that humans inadvertently have a fear and dislike for the things they don't understand?

To me, PC culture is being outraged over small things that stifle discussion. That's the definition I've understood. I get that your definition is rooted in what I would call hate crime and racism. If we cannot even degree on a definition on what it means, what the hell are we even discussing? Are we discussing being offended over Amy Schumer saying a thing in a comedy club, or are we talking about spreading hate? There is a difference there, and depending on who you are and what vacuums you engage in, you might have a very different experience from someone else.
You act like your anecdotal liberal college experience is what we should all take at face value. if you didn't saw any problems with it, then obviously there is no problem. I know you didn't mean that, but my knees were jerking from the way you worded it.

Dr.Acula

Banned

I read WAY too many comments before I figured out this wasn't about the "PC Master Race" vs. "Console Wars."

I even was starting to formulate a response before I realised what people were talking about.

4Tran

It's just in peoples faces now actually with the internet and social media.
Then they've just not been paying attention. Anti-political correctness has been all over newspapers, magazines, talk radio, and cable news for forever now. Basically since it became out of favor to use derogatory terms in public.

Ucchedavāda;215876812 said:
Or to put it more bluntly, 4Chan is a safe space for people wish to engage in certain behavior, where existing members aggressively police their borders to ensure that newcomers either conform to accepted norms for that community or else be driven away.

The same could be said of all places, all communities. Even this one.

They're called "rules." Most places in 4chan are alright to lurk in, alright to talk and share. Then you have places where wholesome people don't go. Most had to learn for themselves why.

E92 M3

I was just thinking, would a show like Married with Children ever exist in today's climate? And that was a legendary production loved by all pretty much.

Bronx-Man

Banned
"PC culture" is just the politically correct term for "Why won't these goddamn minorities let me say whatever dumb shit that pops up in my head about them?"

Gun Animal

"PC culture" is just the politically correct term for "Why won't these goddamn minorities let me say whatever dumb shit that pops up in my head about them?"
it's somewhere inbetween that and "why can you get fired for making a joke about dongles?"

Tripon

They snipe at each other but it's because they find it fun. Nobody on /pol/ is organizing Twitter harassment campaigns against each other.
Because organizating such campaigns are against the rules and get you banned.

4chan hasn't tolerated stuff like that for near a decade at this point.

it's somewhere inbetween that and "why can you get fired for making a joke about dongles?"

Ahh yes the incident where one guy wasn't fired. The other got a new job quickly and Adria Richards who also got fired hasn't found a new job since and got ddos and was harassed ad nauseum for months

I agree. I never saw much wrong with PC culture. It's a good thing to be polite and respectful when talking about things!

I don't think PC is a barrier to legitimate discussion unless it's applied to an extreme degree. You can still have topics about difficult issues you're just supposed to be polite and considering about it, and I think that's fine.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Going off what Besada posted, people in general complain and spread negativity about way too many trivial things. It's ironic that many of the people protesting "PC" and "outrage culture" are members of groups that are predicated on harassment, outrage farming, trolling, shaming, and finding things online to act angry about. We see the effect that online culture everywhere, seeping into everything. Otherwise reasonable and intelligent sounding people who mindlessly repeat whatever WTF IS THIS SHIT casual outrage over something channish culture once said you should go around bitching about every time you see it.

It's almost as if those people, who have spent the last decade or more using the internet as their dumping ground for needless negativity and hostility, are furious at the very prospect of an organized movement to highlight and shame them.

Tripon

Ahh yes the incident where one guy wasn't fired. The other got a new job quickly and Adria Richards who also got fires hasn't found a new job since and got ddos and was harassed ad nauseum for months
Adria Richards got fired because she became more known for that incident than being an evangelist for her company.

bionic77

Some white men are very sensitive to the loss of any right they have, even the right to shit on minorities and women.

Those same people don't seem to do much for other people when they are fighting for the same rights they enjoy...

It's funny how the people who complain the most about political correctness get triggered so easily, have their own safe spaces (4chan, MyPostingCareer, etc.), and subscribe to (white) identity politics.

I always get the most hilarious reactions when I address these people complaining about "political correctness" in politically incorrect ways.

It's not something you can 100% do on GAF, but on Twitter and in real life it is quite the satisfying experience.

Adria Richards got fired because she became more known for that incident than being an evangelist for her company.

I'm just pointing out that in the end she suffered 10 fold more than either guy and suffered excessively so for months and years after

Choomp

Banned
Me too, 100 percent. I agree that there are some people who kind of pick and choose stuff to get offended by and do it just for the sake of it, but going out of your way to offend people just for the sake of that on the other hand isn't much better. The fact of the matter is people genuinely get offended and trying to find a middle ground between being able to make a fair share of questionable jokes and still trying not to piss people off is tough.

lazygecko

I'll be honest, for some reason the whole OP I thought we were talking PC Culture as in PC Gamers or something, and was confused. It was the first reply that clued me in PC meant Political Correctness.

It's funny cause we've had precisely the same grievances on GAF with way more people complaining over "PC gaming master race" attitudes than people using the term sincerely.

Bronx-Man

Banned
To be honest, seeing hardcore alt-righters/white nationalists get "triggered" by everything Colin Kaepernick does is goddamn hilarious.

Tripon

I'm just pointing out that in the end she suffered 10 fold more than either guy and suffered excessively so for months and years after

Because she thought it was more important to put two people in her place than advocate what she was paid to do.

There's ways to discuss and tell event organizers about inappropriate situations. This isn't even that Richards didn't know about the proper procedure for this. She was working in a public facing position for her company at the time. She chose to not do that so she could make a public display to shame two people who she didn't know and it blew up in her face.

Those two guys didn't attempt to be a public story, she did.

Because she thought it was more important to put two people in her place than advocate what she was paid to do.

There's ways to discuss and tell event organizers about inappropriate situations. This isn't even that Richards didn't know about the proper procedure for this. She was working in a public facing position for her company at the time. She chose to not do that so she could make a public display to shame two people who she didn't know and it blew up in her face.

Those two guys didn't attempt to be a public story, she did.

Ok.... and you think that makes everything that happened to her ok?

Dddos attacks, twitter harassment, death threats....

Tripon

Ok.... and you think that makes everything that happened to her ok?

Dddos attacks, twitter harassment, death threats....

Where did I say that?

Can I ask you why you seem to think the two guys seem to need the same amount of harassment she suffered?

I didn't know about any of that, your first post just mentioned that she hasn't found employment since.
Edit: Sorry, you did include that info. Guess I just wanted to focus on the unemployment part.

Gun Animal

I have no issue with Adria getting fired so...

That being said being homophobic and actively participating in denying rights to gay folk (he supported prop 8) and being Adria Richards aren't very comparable

sorry, wasn't making a comparison at all. wanted to know your take on it.

What's the statutory limit on Homophobia? (compare to formerly anti-gay-marriage Democrats)

Red Frost

Banned
I'm sick of both. Criticism or wanting things to be more inclusive isn't "PC gone mad". Similarly, telling someone to relax because they go crazy over a racy joke doesn't make said person a klan member.

Where did I say that?

Can I ask you why you seem to think the two guys seem to need the same amount of harassment she suffered?

I didn't know about any of that, your first post just mentioned that she hasn't found employment since.
Edit: Sorry, you did include that info. Guess I just wanted to focus on the unemployment part.

I don't.

Neither deserve harassment.

Only Adria got it was my point

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom