• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm playing Nintendo Switch tomorrow at PAX, what unanswered questions do you have?

//ARCANUM

No they weren't. They had it connected to TVs with the dock but towards the end of the demo, the booth worker lets you switch from joycon to portable mode. Only Splatoon was on TV only with the Pro controller.

Well we were both wrong then lol! I was able to play Splatoon in handheld mode :p

//ARCANUM

Thanks for your impressions!

I'm wondering, since I use glass screen protectors on my mobile devices regardless, how snug is the Switch dock when you dock the tablet in?

A glass screen protector wouldn't cause it to get lodged in the dock, would it?

It's pretty darn snug. But I imagine if they come out with a screen protector designed for it, that it would fit in the dock.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
The joycons not connected to the grip can still be used as a controller as though it's connected to the grip right? I really enjoyed the chuckmote grip back then so maybe the separated joycons would give that feel, and I was worried that the Switch wouldn't have that function since every time they showed the joycons separated from the grip, they're treated more as separate, two different controllers.

Orbis

The joycons not connected to the grip can still be used as a controller as though it's connected to the grip right? I really enjoyed the chuckmote grip back then so maybe the separated joycons would give that feel, and I was worried that the Switch wouldn't have that function since every time they showed the joycons separated from the grip, they're treated more as separate, two different controllers.
I believe we saw that configuration in the original Switch trailer (I think there was a guy on a plane using it in tabletop mode). They certainly don't mention it much but perhaps they want to keep the marketing simple. I don't think the standard grip actively does anything so I don't see why it wouldn't work as a split single controller in docked mode or otherwise.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I believe we saw that configuration in the original Switch trailer (I think there was a guy on a plane using it in tabletop mode). They certainly don't mention it much but perhaps they want to keep the marketing simple. I don't think the standard grip actively does anything so I don't see why it wouldn't work as a split single controller in docked mode or otherwise.

I thought the sliding areas of the joycons had some plates telling it's "connected", meaning they're acting as a singular controller? But if it's shown, then yay.

Sorry if this has been asked and answered, but can you tell me a little about that right stick? As someone who didn't like the feel of the Vita, the positioning of that stick worries me. Was it uncomfortable to reach down and use? Could you imagine, say, playing an FPS using it?

Thanks.

Just got back from celebrating PAX South with some people. Got to try Zelda yesterday morning and this morning was Arms, Bomberman, and Splatoon 2.

My initial impressions briefly are that the joycon grip feels uncomfortable, the sticks feel short like a Vita stick (maybe a bit loose or not tight). Triggers feel pretty good, HD rumble isn't as defined or "innovative" as I was hoping? Basically the same as Vive's controllers (at least with Arms). It's not a feature I will particularly remember after playing but it feels good during gameplay I think. Overall I prefer the Gamepad or Wii U Pro because of comfort and sturdy tall parallel sticks.

The joycons themselves feel pretty good and small in the hands. The Switch has a truly impressive glass screen and as a handheld it definitely has that premium feel. Neon colors sold me once I saw them in person.

Ok I need to sleep, I'll check in a little later.

I'm looking forward to play Zelda on my TV using the separate Joycons. Hope it just feels like the Wii-mote and Nunchuk controlling Mario in Super Mario Galaxy.

Honestly, imo that was the best control set-up
ever.

heringer

I'm looking forward to play Zelda on my TV using the separate Joycons. Hope it just feels like the Wii-mote and Nunchuk controlling Mario in Super Mario Galaxy.

Honestly, imo that was the best control set-up
ever.

Indeed; Though I doubt they will be as confortable, to be honest. JoyCons are too small. Wiimote and nunchuk had the perfect size.

heringer

I will say the lack of a dpad is very, very disappointing. The Pro isn't a solution since I want to play 2D games in handheld mode.

I hope they eventually release a joycon with a real dpad.

edit: oops, double post, sorry.

Chessr

The neon joy-con bundle are reversed from the neon joy-con that come with the system, so you buying the joy-con separately gives you a complete red and a complete blue set.

I see :D

Here in Denmark we can only buy a mixed set :)
But yes you are rigjt. They are reversed ;D did not see that lol :)

Thanks for updating me :)

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
I didn't want to wait in line too long so I ended up playing snipper clips with my buddy in the back, where they were demoing the units for an airplane or bus setting.

The switch is much, much smaller than I was thinking, and has really sold me on the portability of this thing. I got to play with the joycon on it's side and the analogs do feel pretty similar to vita analogs in terms of their range. Seems like investing in a pro controller is necessary for longer play sessions. The buttons are also preeety tiny.

Even though I only heard about snipper clips a day before, its a pretty charming game that would be great for sour of the moment, pick up and play gameplay with friends.

Overall, I went from not buying one until it has more games, to wanting one day 1. Will skip out on zelda for wii u and just pick up the switch port when I can.

Do the analogue sticks have the iconic octo-guide ring used in the N64, GameCube and Wii, or are they like the Wii U's? I'm hoping for the former...wasn't a fan of the removal last gen.

Felt like it was done because of the FPS market, but it's not like Wii U (or Switch...) will be leaders in that segment. Splatoon only has aiming along the X-Axis, the rest is handled by gyro.

I will say the lack of a dpad is very, very disappointing. The Pro isn't a solution since I want to play 2D games in handheld mode.

I'd take an octo-ring analogue as well. I used the GameCube (and N64) analogue sticks even in menu navigation - the octo-guiderings made them great at cardinal directions instead of the sloppy mess that is the Wii U stick was. Had to switch to the D-Pad for that stuff much like I do on Xbox or PlayStation.

Blurry15

I got to try it out as well this weekend. I have pretty big hands but the Joycons felt pretty comfortable to me. I personally enjoyed the feeling of the buttons and tried using the d-buttons during Bomberman and at least for that game specifically I preferred using the d-buttons as opposed to the joy-stick. It felt pretty good. As responsive as the face buttons so it worked perfectly for Bomberman.

Zelda breath of the wild was fun but the control scheme felt very different from old Zeldas which took some getting used to. Still it was very enjoyable regardless. I personally enjoyed messing around and trying to do silly things in the game like pushing a log down a slope and jumping on the log to try to run on it. I failed miserably but it was fun regardless. The fighting kinda felt like a Simple dark souls which lead to me constantly trying to do a side roll to dodge but no dice. Not sure if you can roll in the game but I didn't try to hard to figure it out (I died trying to roll lol)

Arms is way more fun than it appears. Something I enjoyed is that you can do constant dashes and jumps you just have to time it to the end of that actions animation it seemed like. Stages, also, play a big roll in gameplay since there was one stage where my opponent was at the top of a set of stairs and I was at the bottom which gave the opponent the benefit of higher ground which made jumps less useful so dashing to avoid hits was more reliable. I can personally see this being a game that a lot of people will enjoy.

Aside from the games at the Nintendo booth I also tried out Has been Heroes and though I had trouble playing it early on it seems like a very fun game to kill hours of time to. I did try it on the Switch using a pro controller which I thought was also very comfortable especially for the traditional controller feel. The gameplay isn't typical to what other games use. It's kinda like plants vs zombies in that there are enemies coming at you on rows but instead of putting things out in tower defense fashion you attack with a character and when that character moves forward with an attack you can switch lanes with another character to assist in the attack. That being said you can only switch lanes when a character moved forward to attack leaving some empty space to move in to. This game can be a little difficult to get used to the gameplay but once you get it its pretty fun.

Over all I looked forward to getting the Switch day 1 and the games so far seem to be different but fun.

I got to try it out as well this weekend. I have pretty big hands but the Joycons felt pretty comfortable to me. I personally enjoyed the feeling of the buttons and tried using the d-buttons during Bomberman and at least for that game specifically I preferred using the d-buttons as opposed to the joy-stick. It felt pretty good. As responsive as the face buttons so it worked perfectly for Bomberman.

Zelda breath of the wild was fun but the control scheme felt very different from old Zeldas which took some getting used to. Still it was very enjoyable regardless. I personally enjoyed messing around and trying to do silly things in the game like pushing a log down a slope and jumping on the log to try to run on it. I failed miserably but it was fun regardless. The fighting kinda felt like a Simple dark souls which lead to me constantly trying to do a side roll to dodge but no dice. Not sure if you can roll in the game but I didn't try to hard to figure it out (I died trying to roll lol)

Arms is way more fun than it appears. Something I enjoyed is that you can do constant dashes and jumps you just have to time it to the end of that actions animation it seemed like. Stages, also, play a big roll in gameplay since there was one stage where my opponent was at the top of a set of stairs and I was at the bottom which gave the opponent the benefit of higher ground which made jumps less useful so dashing to avoid hits was more reliable. I can personally see this being a game that a lot of people will enjoy.

Aside from the games at the Nintendo booth I also tried out Has been Heroes and though I had trouble playing it early on it seems like a very fun game to kill hours of time to. I did try it on the Switch using a pro controller which I thought was also very comfortable especially for the traditional controller feel. The gameplay isn't typical to what other games use. It's kinda like plants vs zombies in that there are enemies coming at you on rows but instead of putting things out in tower defense fashion you attack with a character and when that character moves forward with an attack you can switch lanes with another character to assist in the attack. That being said you can only switch lanes when a character moved forward to attack leaving some empty space to move in to. This game can be a little difficult to get used to the gameplay but once you get it its pretty fun.

Over all I looked forward to getting the Switch day 1 and the games so far seem to be different but fun.

Thanks for the impressions! So you have fairly large hands and the Joycons felt comfortable, but which configurations did you use them in? Dual wielding, attached to the grip, attached to the Switch itself? Were any of those at all uncomfortable?

Crom

Thanks for the detailed impressions.

I saw some negatives about Has Been Heroes but I am giving it the benefit of the doubt because it seems like a tough game to play test for a few minutes and come back with a verdict either way.

I preordered it and took a chance at 19.99

Can't wait to get my hands on Arms and Zelda. Would be cool if Boxing Tape Little Mac was a secret character in Arms

RM8

edit: oops, double post, sorry.
This is literally the only thing I don't like about the Switch. No d-pad!? Seriously?

Malus

Indeed; Though I doubt they will be as confortable, to be honest. JoyCons are too small. Wiimote and nunchuk had the perfect size.

On the plus side they don't have a wire, as well as that funky Wii motion plus rubber grip thing.

Something's been on my mind lately, do gyro-aiming games work with the joycons separated? I'm not sure how you would go about controlling the gyro in that configuration.

Do the analogue sticks have the iconic octo-guide ring used in the N64, GameCube and Wii, or are they like the Wii U's? I'm hoping for the former...wasn't a fan of the removal last gen.

Felt like it was done because of the FPS market, but it's not like Wii U (or Switch...) will be leaders in that segment. Splatoon only has aiming along the X-Axis, the rest is handled by gyro.

I'd take an octo-ring analogue as well. I used the GameCube (and N64) analogue sticks even in menu navigation - the octo-guiderings made them great at cardinal directions instead of the sloppy mess that is the Wii U stick was. Had to switch to the D-Pad for that stuff much like I do on Xbox or PlayStation.

For the pro controller what is the gate on the sticks like? Similar to the Wii U pro or GameCube?

No octo-ring for the joycons. I can't say for the Pro because I didn't see it in any of the booths, but from the pictures it looks the same.

Also Malus, gyro aiming works well for each joycon and we didn't have to do any calibrating. I could aim the bow in Zelda with my right joycon gyro at my side (which was pretty amazing just standing there, felt like I was playing using my mind lol)

Malus

No octo-ring for the joycons. I can't say for the Pro because I didn't see it in any of the booths, but from the pictures it looks the same.

Also Malus, gyro aiming works well for each joycon and we didn't have to do any calibrating. I could aim the bow in Zelda with my right joycon gyro at my side (which was pretty amazing just standing there, felt like I was playing using my mind lol)

Ah thanks. I'm so used to using the wii u gamepad for gyro aiming, wonder if it'll feel natural playing Splatoon that way.

The neon joy-con bundle are reversed from the neon joy-con that come with the system, so you buying the joy-con separately gives you a complete red and a complete blue set.

Is this confirmed? It would make my decision between pro controller and joy-con bundle easier to make.

Rodolink

Oooh here's a question just poped up dunno if already answered, but how's the feel of the stick in the joy cons as a button press? (like the L3 and R3 on a regular XONE PS4)

Oooh here's a question just poped up dunno if already answered, but how's the feel of the stick in the joy cons as a button press? (like the L3 and R3 on a regular XONE PS4)
The clicks feel more "clicky" I guess? Maybe because the sticks themselves are much smaller, but it's not as much of a deep or hard click as the pro/ps4/one. I liked it though. Feels great if you think of them as handheld sticks.

Rodolink

The clicks feel more "clicky" I guess? Maybe because the sticks themselves are much smaller, but it's not as much of a deep or hard click as the pro/ps4/one. I liked it though. Feels great if you think of them as handheld sticks.

Good to hear, I imagine what you mean.

//ARCANUM

You can absolutely use this config. The joycon grip has no tech in it. Even the "lights" are just holes that let the joycon lights shine thru.

Blurry15

Thanks for the impressions! So you have fairly large hands and the Joycons felt comfortable, but which configurations did you use them in? Dual wielding, attached to the grip, attached to the Switch itself? Were any of those at all uncomfortable?

I used it connected to the console, on the grip, loose joycons, and the pro controller. Pro controller felt great. Like typical controllers but on the lighter side.

Joycons Connected to the console it was comfortable as well and was surprised at how light all of it was.

On the grip it was still very light and felt really good too especially while playing Zelda. Since the grips on the grip are pointing diagonally it felt like a regular controller.

Loose Joycons are perfect for Arms but feels a bit off for Zelda just because I was trying to run and jump but the run button is the bottom button and jump is the upper one so I felt like I needed to use Tekken fingers which is uncomfortable on anything other than a full controller or on grip/snapped on console.

Kinda worried about the audio now lol

Why don't they want anyone to hear?

Probably because it's a loud convention and trying to blast out the speakers in handheld mode wouldn't be good. If there had been audio problems beyond what we've heard already from journalist hands-on, we'd have heard of them by now.

Blurry15

Thanks for the detailed impressions.

I saw some negatives about Has Been Heroes but I am giving it the benefit of the doubt because it seems like a tough game to play test for a few minutes and come back with a verdict either way.

I preordered it and took a chance at 19.99

Can't wait to get my hands on Arms and Zelda. Would be cool if Boxing Tape Little Mac was a secret character in Arms

Has Been Heroes is kinda like Star Fox Zero I feel, where the mechanics of the gameplay are hard to master but once you do its a fun experience. The physical attacking seems bit slow after combos are done so you tend to have a heavy reliance on using spells between attack strings.

I'm definitely planning to get it.

ColEx

Is the Switch going to be Nintendo's only console? Are they going to release a dedicated handheld? Or will the Switch cover that seeing as its portable.

I used it connected to the console, on the grip, loose joycons, and the pro controller. Pro controller felt great. Like typical controllers but on the lighter side.

Joycons Connected to the console it was comfortable as well and was surprised at how light all of it was.

On the grip it was still very light and felt really good too especially while playing Zelda. Since the grips on the grip are pointing diagonally it felt like a regular controller.

Loose Joycons are perfect for Arms but feels a bit off for Zelda just because I was trying to run and jump but the run button is the bottom button and jump is the upper one so I felt like I needed to use Tekken fingers which is uncomfortable on anything other than a full controller or on grip/snapped on console.

Excellent, that's what I was hoping for, thank you. Good news for Zelda is that you can swap the jump button with the sprint button, so hopefully that's a bit easier to manage in that configuration. I'm gonna be playing this in bed a lot primarily, so the handheld mode being comfortable is so nice, especially after dealing with the OG 3DS.

Congratulations on being able to play this to everyone who's been able to. What are my chances of being able to order one of these at this time? I checked amazon and best buy but neither has it available.

Chû Totoro;229368351 said:
Is this confirmed? It would make my decision between pro controller and joy-con bundle easier to make.

The ones that come with the system have the red Joy-Con on the right; the ones that are sold separately have the red Joy-Con on the left.

Congratulations on being able to play this to everyone who's been able to. What are my chances of being able to order one of these at this time? I checked amazon and best buy but neither has it available.

You're going to have to hope for a restock or try your luck on launch day.

Is the Switch going to be Nintendo's only console? Are they going to release a dedicated handheld? Or will the Switch cover that seeing as its portable.

Assume for now that Switch is the only new platform we're getting for a while.

Blurry15

Excellent, that's what I was hoping for, thank you. Good news for Zelda is that you can swap the jump button with the sprint button, so hopefully that's a bit easier to manage in that configuration. I'm gonna be playing this in bed a lot primarily, so the handheld mode being comfortable is so nice, especially after dealing with the OG 3DS.

I am amazed at how light the entire system is especially compared to my 3DS XL. The Joycons themselves you could easily forget you are holding them they are so light. I saw in a Gaf post the other day that the entire system weighed roughly less than a pound which I couldn't believe until I tried it.

If the switch is a success, then Nintendo will have the Switch be the home console and the dedicated handheld which will be the best scenario. If the Switch doesn't do well and fails to improve, they will most likely create a new dedicated handheld.

I am amazed at how light the entire system is especially compared to my 3DS XL. The Joycons themselves you could easily forget you are holding them they are so light. I saw in a Gaf post the other day that the entire system weighed roughly less than a pound which I couldn't believe until I tried it.

This blows my mind. The bulky Wii U GamePad that doesn't even have a complete working game system inside it weighs more than that.

What buttons are jump and sprint in the default setup?

Dystify

Is there any general Switch thread or is this it until the launch.

General Switch threads are frowned upon by GAF mods. I guess this topic is quite good for impressions of the system until there's something newly announced. For hardware discussion/questions this topic is the most appropriate.

Top Bottom