• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Important new Pokemon announcement coming on Jan 8 [Up: Hyped By NA Twitter]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
I'm going to laugh so hard if it is B&W3 on DS, new cartoon series, happy meal toys or something like that.
I wouldn't laugh at that part! Its high time they put ol' Ashy-boy down and maybe try to emulate the games stories. Problem is... they are so super dependant Pikachu an to a lesser extent boring old Team Rocket. >.<;

Sandfox

This isn't going to be about a card/video game tournament because they already hold those every year without a big announcement like this unless they've decided to improve it by a wide margin which I wouldn't exactly complain about.

This could either be:
-New pokemon reveal(which would symbolize that we are getting a new game soon since there aren't any more movies to show them off in)
-new Wii U game of some sort
-New spinoff game for the 3DS
-Mainline game

As for the sprites, I'm not sure if I want them because I'm convinced that Gamefreak would have to sacrifice something to put that many models on one cart.

Ultima_5

Announcement is same time with japan and NA? Is that means this unknown game will be a global release?

Not necessarily. They could just announce the existence of the game and let things come out staggered like they normally do for Pokemon

Neiteio

They keep releasing shit on the DS because it has such a massive install base, but that's in part due to Pokemon, so if they want to grow the 3DS user base, they should release one there sooner rather than later.

hunnies28

This isn't going to be about a card/video game tournament because they already hold those every year without a big announcement like this unless they've decided to improve it by a wide margin which I wouldn't exactly complain about.

This could either be:
-New pokemon reveal(which would symbolize that we are getting a new game soon since there aren't any more movies to show them off in)
-new Wii U game of some sort
-New spinoff game for the 3DS
-Mainline game

As for the sprites, I'm not sure if I want them because I'm convinced that Gamefreak would have to sacrifice something to put that many models on one cart.

How big is the full Pokedex app? I know this can't account for every model in said game , but on the other side, all pokemon data can't be more than 4 GB right? Right?

Edit:
They keep releasing shit on the DS because it has such a massive install base, but that's in part due to Pokemon, so if they want to grow the 3DS user base, they should release one there sooner rather than later.

Is Gamefreak / Pokemon Company really that independent or is Nintendo able to call shots and demand that game to be on 3DS ? ( To increase 3DS install base)

BD1

Banned
Didn't Nintendo patent a game concept recently that was a massively multiplayer online game that allowed for users to interact but not affect the single players experience? I always thought that would make a great idea for a Pokemon game.

It would essentially be the single player Pokemon experience we know now, except the world is always connected. Instead of random battles while you traverse the world map, you get thrown into an online multiplayer match. Gyms would double as match making lobbies if you're just in the mood to battle. You could create custom Teams to add friends, track stats, trade Pokemon and share various collectables.

Why hasn't this happened?

EDIT

Here is a Joystiq article about Nintendo's patent for a Massively Single-Playing Online Game

Sandfox

How big is the full Pokedex app? I know this can't account for every model in said game , but on the other side, all pokemon data can't be more than 4 GB right? Right?

I don't know how big the app is but they would have to have 750+ models and then you have to double that for shiny pokemon. When you factor in all of the human models as well and the environments I think that is a crap ton and they would have to make sacrifices that I don't think are worth it.

Is Gamefreak / Pokemon Company really that independent or is Nintendo able to call shots and demand that game to be on 3DS ? ( To increase 3DS install base)

I imagine that, even if in theory Nintendo is in total control, they're content to let Gamefreak have free reign since they make so much money.

I don't know how big the app is but they would have to have 750+ models and then you have to double that for shiny pokemon. When you factor in all of the human models as well and the environments I think that is a crap ton and they would have to make sacrifices that I don't think are worth it.
You wouldn't really double for shinies though - you'd just color the models differently. Plus, they've been doing the environments in 3D since Gen 4, so I have no real worries they'll be able to pull off 3D.
Game Freak/TPCi is fairly independent - they have their own schedules for these games. 2-3 years after 3DS launches is just time enough for G6 to appear on there.

Berordn

Gamefreak remains fully independent and pretty much calls the shots on the mainline games. The Pokémon Company is majority owned by Nintendo and handles licensing, advertising and basically maintains control of the brand so neither company has to focus too much on that stuff.

Nintendo can probably "encourage" Gamefreak to make games for certain platforms, and let them release B2/W2 while they were fiddling around with Gen VI ideas.

Qurupeke

Well, that's the reason there should be a new Generation now, without a National Dex. The national dex should come with an update.

BD1

Banned

I imagine that, even if in theory Nintendo is in total control, they're content to let Gamefreak have free reign since they make so much money.

As I understand it, Pokemon Company has free reign to market the IP as they see fit. They are 100% in control of licensing, movies & television and consumer marketing like the iOS apps. It was established by the three owners.

The games are different b/c Nintendo, GameFreak and Creatures are co-owners of the IP and make the decisions about game development. The rub is that Creatures is a wholly owned subsidiary of Nintendo, so they have the majority say.

Overall, I'd say its a pretty healthy relationship though.

hunnies28

App seems to be 400 MB in size. If I remember correctly, this app has voice over for Pokédex entries.

I still think they can fit in a 4GB cart without compromising content. But that's just me.

Berordn

Plus, they've been doing the environments in 3D since Gen 4, so I have no real worries they'll be able to pull off 3D.

The 3D events that they do include in the games are pretty impressive for the platform too. Ho-Oh/Lugia's intro in HG/SS was pretty nice looking for DS 3D. Same with the Reshiram/Zekrom and Kyurem showdown in B2/W2.

Well, that's the reason there should be a new Generation now, without a National Dex. The national dex should come with an update.

Update how? They might as well just include it all with the game since the models would be finished and it'd keep you from having to update to just play with friends.

Qurupeke

Update how? They might as well just include it all with the game since the models would be finished and it'd keep you from having to update to just play with friends.

Well, I guess it will be possible to have free DLC. But yeah, all the Pokemon from Gen 1-gen 5 have a 3D model so I guess that would be pointless. But I tend to believe that the future for the series is free DLC. Imagine been able to download Pokemon that you can't get otherwise. Like the wifi events, but without knowing the Pokemon prior that, because it won't be on the cartridge. It was kind of disappointing to know about pokemon like Arceus or Genesect, when they weren't official.

Well, there *might* be less of a chance of knowing the entire dex the second the games come out, due to 3DS binaries holding solid so far against decryption. If the situation remains the same towards September, then this'll turn out to be more of a mysterious gen than G3-5.

Although, I suppose one could just buy one of those huge guides day 1 and leaf through it...

Didn't Nintendo patent a game concept recently that was a massively multiplayer online game that allowed for users to interact but not affect the single players experience? I always thought that would make a great idea for a Pokemon game.

It would essentially be the single player Pokemon experience we know now, except the world is always connected. Instead of random battles while you traverse the world map, you get thrown into an online multiplayer match. Gyms would double as match making lobbies if you're just in the mood to battle. You could create custom Teams to add friends, track stats, trade Pokemon and share various collectables.

Why hasn't this happened?

EDIT

Here is a Joystiq article about Nintendo's patent for a Massively Single-Playing Online Game

I always assumed this is related to the Nintendo Land Plaza in some way

Neiteio

Maybe it's Pokemon Snap U, with Panorama View-style gameplay but in real-time, using the WiiU GamePad as the viewfinder to track and shoot Pokemon?
Fairly certain a Pokemon higher-up said they're not doing anything related to Snap.

shaowebb

I just want another Pokemon with a new region of pokemon. The thrill only really exists for me in finding new pokemon I haven't caught before in games I collected the whole Pokedex in before.

There are a lot of great ideas in this thread but the announcement will not be any of them. :(

It'll probably be something like Pokepark 3 or Pokemon Ranger 3DS.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Make a Wii U and 3DS version that sync up = moneytree

My god

qxRMo.gif

One more point in favour of why this is likely to be an announcement of mainline games....

The Pokémon anime in Japan has already reached the League, and that'll be over soon. We know they're going to follow that up with a story arc based around N (and presumably Team Plasma). While we don't know how long that arc will be, it would seem difficult to draw that out for too long. There's not really a lot left in B2W2 to develop into another story arc, besides maybe the World Tournament, and that's arguably already been done with the anime's "Junior World Cup" anyway. Barring the creation of an anime original region (which they've avoided since the end of Gen I), something totally unexpected (visiting regions from spin-off games like Colosseum), or the anime being brought to a close (highly unlikely), they're going to need a new game region to go to.

I'm putting my bet on this being Gen 6 for the 3DS. PokeDota would be hysterical though (the Pokémon actually fit the Dota/LoL mold quite well; four abilities and a passive)

Andrefpvs

One more point in favour of why this is likely to be an announcement of mainline games....

The Pokémon anime in Japan has already reached the League, and that'll be over soon. We know they're going to follow that up with a story arc based around N (and presumably Team Plasma). While we don't know how long that arc will be, it would seem difficult to draw that out for too long. There's not really a lot left in B2W2 to develop into another story arc, besides maybe the World Tournament, and that's arguably already been done with the anime's "Junior World Cup" anyway. Barring the creation of an anime original region (which they've avoided since the end of Gen I), something totally unexpected (visiting regions from spin-off games like Colosseum), or the anime being brought to a close (highly unlikely), they're going to need a new game region to go to.

Man, I love that you're on GAF now.

I also think it's going to be a new mainline game, but don't underestimate the filler-making ability of the anime guys. They could go back to freaking Kanto once again if they feel like it.

But yeah, not likely. It's Gen 6.

They could always go back to Kanto again for a bit. Misty must be lonely! But yeah, it's a new game. Must be.

Oh, and your site is absolutely amazing. So much information, it's a godsend.

That and;
-The second team, usually in charge of the remakes, made BW2, instead of the main team.
- There's no Pokemon to reveal for the second half of this year's movie title, short of a new Forme of something.
- Two undisclosed Pokemon were mentioned in merchandise advertising for the new movie.
- GF were, allegedly, one of the first developers to receive 3DS development kits and hired some 3D artists early in 2011.
- GF is unlikely to 'waste' the reveal of their 3D engine on remakes of Ruby & Sapphire.

If this isn't the announcement of the 6th Gen games, it will almost certainly be the announcement of the first 6th Gen Pokemon.

I wonder what form the announcement will take place in if it ends up being G6 related:

- Box legendaries + "Fall 2013" (JP side)/ "Fall 2014" (US side)
- 5 minute animated story trailer
- 2 minute mixed gameplay/animated trailer
- 3 random early-game pokes
- 30 second teaser of KAKUSEI flashing randomly on the screen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom