• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Important new Pokemon announcement coming on Jan 8 [Up: Hyped By NA Twitter]

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it's not Pokemon on a non-handheld console I'll be sad. I don't like playing any games on handhelds. If there was just some way for me to play on a console I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

If it's not Pokemon on a non-handheld console I'll be sad. I don't like playing any games on handhelds. If there was just some way for me to play on a console I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

648px-Super-Game-Boy-US.jpg

Trey

With that said that would still be a hindrance, the one you propose. What if I don't have any flying mon in my main team? :p

Not any more of a hindrance in this respect than before, since your flying options were relegated to those 'Mon who could learn fly.

In my proposal, a move slot wouldn't be compromised just for the contrived utility.

They're largely optional now, aside from netting you a few goodies around Unova in B2/W2. You don't even need a badge anymore, just the HM.

Yeah, HMs' reduced role was among my favorite BW2 quality of life improvements.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Not any more of a hindrance in this respect than before, since your flying options were relegated to those 'Mon who could learn fly.

In my proposal, a move slot wouldn't be compromised just for the contrived utility.

With the item idea I have in mind, it allows you to use field utilities without the need to change your team!

With that said it probably would be silly. I can't think of a portable item that can fly you.

The anti-HM brigade are the reason Unova was basically just an oval that you cycled around. Ya'll killed the sense of adventure and any need for team management within the single player.

Berordn

The anti-HM brigade are the reason Unova was basically just an oval that you cycled around. Ya'll killed the sense of adventure and any need for team management within the single player.

You can have the same effect by gating the areas with key items and special events. Not having to sacrifice a moveslot doesn't make the game any less of an adventure.

Unova being an oval with nothing in it is just poor design, which they mostly remedied in version 2.

Trey

lol at the notion of dragging an HM slave around being considered "team management".

Introduce more interesting level designs, Game Freak. Provide more immersion with the game world. The best cases of both criteria are the BW2 gyms, which are HM free.

With the item idea I have in mind, it allows you to use field utilities without the need to change your team!

With that said it probably would be silly. I can't think of a portable item that can fly you.

I thought about that too, but I figured it was more interesting to interact with the game world directly through your Pokemon rather than turning your player character into inspector gadget.

ferr

My guess is it's either a full scale Pokemon MMO with 10,000 new pokemon or it's some sort of facebook social game where you guess the pokemon.

Berordn

But there was lots in Unova.

It's the best designed region by far.

Linear does not mean bad.

There was lots of small things hidden to the sides, but it was relatively barren. Once you picked up whatever TM was hiding off-screen you didn't really ever go back. Black 2 and White 2 remedied that by a ton, making most of the old caves into new optional dungeons hidden off-route or accessible only by optional uses of HMs, adding a lot off of the main routes in the cities, a whole bunch of small secret areas that exist solely to be there like the abandoned streets in Castelia connected to the sewers.

I've got nothing against linearity, all the Pokemon games are. But Unova was pretty boring in Black and White.

Oersted

My guess is it's either a full scale Pokemon F2P (pay for every evolution and for the ability to own more than 6 pokemon) or it's some sort of facebook social game where you guess the pokemon.

Fixed. Expect next gen though.

There was lots of small things hidden to the sides, but it was relatively barren. Once you picked up whatever TM was hiding off-screen you didn't really ever go back.

Holy crap once you complete an area in a game you move on!?

And here I thought progress was a myth!

I don't even know what you're saying. My complaint was that there was nothing to do in most of Unova in B/W. You're... agreeing?

No what you said is "Once you get the stuff in an area you move on."

The mere fact that there's stuff to get implies there's "stuff to do."

Unless you have procedural generated content a single player game is going to run out of stuff to do.

So, no, I'm disagreeing.

Berordn

No what you said is "Once you get the stuff in an area you move on."

The mere fact that there's stuff to get implies there's "stuff to do."

Unless you have procedural generated content a single player game is going to run out of stuff to do.

So, no, I'm disagreeing.

In B2/W2, I've just beat the Elite 4. There's incentive for me to go back to pretty much every location in the game to make use of new HMs, to discover new Pokemon that are now visible to me with the national dex, and to take many of the challenges in the game again because of new competitors and new areas that've been unlocked.

In B/W, it was essentially one and done in each city outside of a couple events in Castelia and the daily events in Nimbasa. There was Looker's post-game quest and the western side of Unova unlocked, but there wasn't much additional content beyond two dungeons and and more trainer battles.

B2/W2 has a gigantic amount of postgame content that rivals HG/SS and continues to encourage exploration. B/W didn't.

upandaway

Haha I just remembered this guy

LgM3w.jpg

kS9Hw.jpg

Fw4Az.jpg

Unova in BW2 had so many suspicious construction and expansion sites, but on the other hand it's really too late for another gen5 game on the DS..

Pachimari

Encourage me to get Black 2. I LOVED Black 1 and White 1 but only got to play it for about 9 hours. What are the differences? Continuation in story? Older Pokèmon available from the start? The new movie-like mini game stuff?

Neiteio

If it's another DS game, I suggest we all fly to Japan and personally rub our genitals in the dev teams' face, in protest.

Berordn

Encourage me to get Black 2. I LOVED Black 1 and White 1 but only got to play it for about 9 hours. What are the differences? Continuation in story? Older Pokèmon available from the start? The new movie-like mini game stuff?

Unova gets quite an overhaul, at least half of the region is completely new, and most of the rest of it gets a pretty significant overhaul. There's been a lot of construction in the two years between the first and second games, so the route through the region is different, there a couple new gym leaders, a LOT of new dungeons, and the Pokemon selection is much, much more diverse and contains a lot that were previously exclusive to the post-game or weren't catch-able in the region at all.

The story's lighter than Black and White's and falls back on most of the typical Pokémon tropes that the previous games averted, but is still a continuation of the story and features a lot of returning characters. It also features two new Kyurem formes, if you're into that sort of thing.

There's the new Pokestar Studios which is similar to the contests in that they feature a new way to "battle," where you have to stick to a scenario and try to get a high-rated and high-grossing movie. There's also the Pokemon World Tournament which is a lot like the Battle Frontier of yesteryear but features every single gym leader in the series to date, and a bunch of the champions.

Mechanically, there's not much different. There's a few moveset changes and a couple new tutors, but it plays like Black and White did.

If it's another DS game, I suggest we all fly to Japan and personally rub our genitals in the dev teams' face, in protest.

Sure thing, right after I buy it. I'm probably crazy and in the minority here, but after seeing everything they changed in B2/W2 and with the sequel hooks they left, I'm actually kind of curious about what a follow-up would be like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom