• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Important new Pokemon announcement coming on Jan 8 [Up: Hyped By NA Twitter]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nilaul

Map of first three generations:

wSoDO.png

There's still plenty of room left!

I thought the pokemon world is a parallel version of our world?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
It's probably those 2ch rumors a forum member in serebii picked up.

And yeah All four regions are somewhat based in a single continent whereas Unova is definitely based on a farther continent. Hilariously enough one could argue Lucario (thus Riolu) originated from that region.

Of course, we could always do a xros over.

29158772cxfpb.png

Because the word for "digital" in Japanese is "digital." There's nothing to be translated.

I don't believe that rumour, but I think the faker meant "localized" rather than translated. For example, the Japanese's Evil-type is localized as our Dark-type.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I don't believe that rumour, but I think the faker meant "localized" rather than translated. For example, the Japanese's Evil-type is localized as our Dark-type.

Perhaps, but that's because it's using a very different word. "Aku" being translated as "Dark" is fine and not inaccurate at all.

The word "Digital" in Japanese is literally "de-ji-ta-ru," and comes from English.

backlot

Elaborate rumors have already begun!

The bolded should be enough for anyone who knows some Japanese to know this whole thing is bullshit.

Oh boy. Hopefully Porygon becomes normal/digital so he can get a double fighting weakness!

Boss Doggie

Perhaps, but that's because it's using a very different word. "Aku" being translated as "Dark" is fine and not inaccurate at all.

Should've been a "Rogue" type rather than Dark, since Evil is a bit too one-sided in the name.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Should've been a "Rogue" type rather than Dark, since Evil is a bit too one-sided in the name.

Honestly, I think "Dark" is a good localization of it. Especially when you look at all of the Pokémon that belong to the Dark type.

Boss Doggie

Honestly, I think "Dark" is a good localization of it. Especially when you look at all of the Pokémon that belong to the Dark type.

Most of which fit the "rogue" archetype. Dark here just means underhanded, pragmatic fighting which is the reverse of the "honorable" fighting type.

watershed

Banned
If NA is pumping this up then it must be big news. I'm ready for Pokemon 3ds. It will be my first true go at the pokemon series.

Map of first three generations:

wSoDO.png

There's still plenty of room left!
You do realise that map is the totally unofficial creation of a fansite, right? The one official one we have seen, from the Japanese Movie 10 booklet (http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/File:RegionsMoviesMap.jpg), shows maps of each region but doesn't imply the actual location of each region in respect to the others.

The geography of the first four regions fits various parts of Japan to the point where we can make reasonable assumptions of how they fit together (see http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pokémon_world_in_relation_to_the_real_world), while Unova is meant as an approximation of the New York Metropolitan area.

This is just speculation, but will Gamefreak ever revisit the Sinjoh Ruins and the unnamed northern (of Johto) region? The fleeting visit in HeartGold and Soul Silver did give an interesting backstory that suggested there was much more to the region, but nothing has been mentioned in-game or otherwise since. Looking to the composed regional map of the first three generations, there is definitely room for another region north of Johto. Regardless of its fanmade status, I'm sure map artwork for Johto and Kanto indicated there was land mass north of the two regions.

Honestly I want another non-Japan-based region. Europe seems to be popular in Japan.

A European location could provide for interesting and varied routes/landmarks. I hope the power of the 3DS allows Gamefreak to truly flesh out the new region and create something creatively strong. Exploring new regions and encountering new Pokemon are what I look forward to most in every generation. I'm honestly excited for the possibilities of Gen VI, provided Gamefreak take advantage of the 3DS.

Foffy

Banned
It's probably those 2ch rumors a forum member in serebii picked up.

And yeah All four regions are somewhat based in a single continent whereas Unova is definitely based on a farther continent. Hilariously enough one could argue Lucario (thus Riolu) originated from that region.

Of course, we could always do a xros over.

29158772cxfpb.png

I always wondered why people want that. Is that because both aired at similar times internationally? Isn't Digimon an anime series first and foremost?

Pokemon MOBA might get me back into the series. It is such a good fit so of course Nintendo will never make it happen.

Knowing Nintendo they'll independently come up with the same idea and make a cool game dissimilar enough to DOTA that nerds on the internet will attempt to exclude the game every time they try to define what a MOBA is.

Also you guys are getting a Fire/Fighting starter, and you'll like it.

IHaveIce

Banned
I always wondered why people want that. Is that because both aired at similar times internationally? Isn't Digimon an anime series first and foremost?

Nope Digimon also has its origins in small tamagotchi like games, if I remember correctly.

But yeah, no crossover. Digimon games were most of the time shit, but their anime (at least the first two seasons) was good, while Pokemon has good games, but an awful really awful anime

Oshawott Luke is now my favourite ever thing.
But yeah, no crossover. Digimon games were most of the time shit, but their anime (at least the first two seasons) was good, while Pokemon has good games, but an awful really awful anime
I love the Pokemon anime, then and now. It's a real weakness.

Darryl

Banned

People don't want it because they know it'd be an awesome game, it more than likely wouldn't. The ways the monsters evolve makes them incompatible except if they went for the MOBA-style game. They just want it because the two series were often perceived as rivals and it's a leftover child fantasy.

Nope Digimon also has its origins in small tamagotchi like games, if I remember correctly.

I thought the Pokemon anime was glorious as a kid. I've been watching it recently and I still enjoy it a lot. I remember one of the worst migraines that I've ever had in my life occurred when I was a kid and I watched the Digimon English world premiere. Such a boring disappointment. It did have an actual plot with evolving characters, though. I'll give it that.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Most of which fit the "rogue" archetype. Dark here just means underhanded, pragmatic fighting which is the reverse of the "honorable" fighting type.

Ehh... I dunno. I feel that "rogue" would get into the same problems as "evil" where certain connotations inherent to the word become attributed despite not being present in the source. I think "dark" does a good job in being just about as general in its meaning as the Japanese.

Pachimari

I'm re-watching the anime season 1 right now and it's awesome! Nothing's awful about.. Besides that Team Rocket moto every single time.

fates

I'm re-watching the anime season 1 right now and it's awesome! Nothing's awful about.. Besides that Team Rocket moto every single time.

Ash was a lovable idiot back then. They really sucked the soul out of him around midway in the gen 3 series.

Delio

I wish Ash was back to how he was during the the battle frontier arc. He seemed at another level from most other trainers at that point and even qualified to be a Frontier brain.

Boss Doggie

Digimon is Tamagotchi altered for boys (since Tamagotchi was a hit for girls).

Real talk - only good Digimon games were the ones emulating the Digivice (World and World RE:Digitize) and the DS games.

And hell no, most of the Digimon anime are good... save for season 2 :p

Ehh... I dunno. I feel that "rogue" would get into the same problems as "evil" where certain connotations inherent to the word become attributes despite not being present in the source. I think "dark" does a good job in being just about as general in its meaning as the Japanese.

Eh I guess we agree to disagree.

Ash was a lovable idiot back then. They really sucked the soul out of him around midway in the gen 3 series.

Hilariously enough he was his prime in the Gen 4 series (he started to be an actual useful trainer) but somehow in BW he turned into shit.

I wish Ash was back to how he was during the the battle frontier arc. He seemed at another level from most other trainers at that point and even qualified to be a Frontier brain.

Yeah, in Hoenn and Sinnoh he was beasting.

But yeah Pokemon anime in general feels run of the mill.

Boss Doggie

The one thing Pkmn needs is the HM system to be overhauled or removed outright.

Turn HM moves into TMs and turn their services into items. Same thing with field TMs like Flash. I'm glad BW got rid of Rock Smash.

The one thing Pkmn needs is the HM system to be overhauled or removed outright.
HMs are already at their lowest in terms of impact on the main story, with Cut being required once in BW's maingame (although Waterfall + Surf are pretty helpful/required for Victory Road in BW2).

I say their next goal should be to merge them with TMs, because TMs are now infinite use, and there are quite a few that are useable in the environment already (Headbutt, Flash, etc.) - there's practically no difference between them and TMs, aside from them not being eraseable. Of course, this would require that they construct the overworld map in such a way that it becomes impossible to get stuck if you trade away your only Surfer or something.

Trey

Turn HM moves into TMs and turn their services into items. Same thing with field TMs like Flash. I'm glad BW got rid of Rock Smash.

I feel that certain types of Pkmn should just be able to do specific types of out-of-battle actions. Gyarados is a powerful sea serpent; why do I need to get a badge and then ram an orange disc up its ass before I can ride on its back?

HMs are poor progression gates, are a chore to use and are mostly useless in battle.

Boss Doggie

HMs are already at their lowest in terms of impact on the main story, with Cut being required once in BW's maingame (although Waterfall + Surf are pretty helpful/required for Victory Road in BW2).

I say their next goal should be to merge them with TMs, because TMs are now infinite use, and there are quite a few that are useable in the environment already (Headbutt, Flash, etc.) - there's practically no difference between them and TMs, aside from them not being eraseable. Of course, this would require that they construct the overworld map in such a way that it becomes impossible to get stuck if you trade away your only Surfer or something.

I never really understood the "you might get stuck" reasoning though. I mean, HMs are infinite use right? Surely you can simply re-teach the HM move if you're stuck. However this means removing the use of HMs without the HM item itself.

I feel that certain types of Pkmn should just be able to do specific types of out-of-battle actions. Gyarados is a powerful sea serpent; why do I need to get a badge and then ram an orange disc up its ass before I can ride on its back?

HMs are poor progression gates, are a chore to use and are mostly useless in battle.

Thankfully they've been slowly removing it lately.

With that said that would still be a hindrance, the one you propose. What if I don't have any flying mon in my main team? :p

Berordn

This is just speculation, but will Gamefreak ever revisit the Sinjoh Ruins and the unnamed northern (of Johto) region? The fleeting visit in HeartGold and Soul Silver did give an interesting backstory that suggested there was much more to the region, but nothing has been mentioned in-game or otherwise since.

Sinnoh
Johto

The implication I got was that it was just a mixing ground for the two region's cultures.

It's kinda bad that people simply think Gamefreak wouldnt put out a 3Ds game yet.

Despite B2/W2 on DS being a purely pragmatic choice, people keep acting like they've shunned the 3DS or something. I don't get it.

They're largely optional now, aside from netting you a few goodies around Unova in B2/W2. You don't even need a badge anymore, just the HM.

IrishNinja

..... The Nintendo Wii-U, DS/3DS player will be announced.
Now you can use the TV as the top screen and your tablet as the bottom, thus increasing your PocketMonster experience tenfold.

now go change your pant you hype induced lunatics.

missed out on the GC GBA player, but i'd be all over this!

I never really understood the "you might get stuck" reasoning though. I mean, HMs are infinite use right? Surely you can simply re-teach the HM move if you're stuck. However this means removing the use of HMs without the HM item itself.
I think there was an example of such a contrived situation on Bulbapedia:

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Meister

(check the Trivia situation)

Though I wouldn't be sure how one could get stuck, since trading away your only Surfer would probably be on you if it happened...

Boss Doggie

Huh? Where was this referenced? I find it incredibly fascinating.

Just checking out the facts.

Riolu is only given to you in Gen IV via egg (and in a safari zone in HG/SS). You can only find wild Riolu in BW2 (a forest path in the new routes not found in BW). One could argue that the Riolu are native to that area.

Other stuff that add some nice touches in BW2 include the reason as to why you have non-Gen V Pokemon being around in BW2. It is stated in BW that the Poketransfer was wonky, come BW2 where the Poketransfer did break, causing mons from other regions to be invasive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom