• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Important new Pokemon announcement coming on Jan 8 [Up: Hyped By NA Twitter]

Status
Not open for further replies.

injurai

Banned
If you are just a really casual player, you really don't need to worry about IVs and EVs. Fusion doesn't really happen...just for one Pokémon. Think of berries like extra status healing items.

barries are probably the one mechanic in the game I loathe, so I just ignore that they exist.

Berordn

You don't need catch up EXP for Crystal...you still have trainer rematches.

Except you have no control over it, most of them aren't until late, late, late game, and their teams never break the 30s.

barries are probably the one mechanic in the game I loathe, so I just ignore that they exist.

Gen V simplified them to the point where they barely exist anyway. I can't say I really miss them.

They aren't late late game...as soon as you find them, just find when they like to do rematches and then have at it. It's not like the Elite Four is super high leveled.

250px-barry.png

Pachimari

Truth. *highfives*

Don't worry; the game does a good job of teaching you everything you need to know. Just sit back and enjoy the best Gen in the series :)

PS: EVs have been in every game, and IVs aren't new to BW2 nor are they essential for the main game.

If you are just a really casual player, you really don't need to worry about IVs and EVs. Fusion doesn't really happen...just for one Pokémon. Think of berries like extra status healing items.

Don't be overwhelmed. Pokemon has always been a highly approachable series, and Black 2 and White 2 are no exception. The systems have evolved and become more complex over time but they've always been kept at arm's length (often to the chagrin of more dedicated players, even).
Thanks guys. I did really LOVE B/W1 so it shouldn't be that hard getting into it again.
So berries are just for healing Pokemon instead of going to a Pokecenter?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Berries are pretty basic and you can pretty much know what they do in their description. Some for healing, some are for giving boosts, etc. Generally I never use them as held items.

Abilities and nature are also like that. Natures add 10% more to a certain stat while reducing another by 10% too, although some natures are neutral. You can check what the nature does by looking up at the Pokemon's stats - red stat means it's buffed by the nature and blue stat means it's reduced by the nature. It's pretty ignorable in-game as it's mostly for competitive purposes. Abilities however come in different flavors and each Pokemon have different abilities with different functions.

You don't really need to worry about IV/EV in Pokemon unless you play competitively, although EVs are something worth noting, especially when they're much, much more flexible in BW2 and can help you in-game.

Effort Values (EVs) are "stat exps" you gain after gaining exp from a certain pokemon (e.g. rattata has 1 speed EV). For every 4 EVs you gain 1 stat point (so 4 speed EVs = +1 Speed). Each stat can only gain up to 255 EVs (although 252 is the more ideal one since remember, 4 EVs = 1 stat and you'd have 3 spare EVs left unused if you go 255), and up to 510 EVs in total. This allows you to pretty much give some neat statistical upgrades to Pokemon who technically are not good at them (for instance you can make Nidoking a powerful special attacker by maxxing out its SAtk EVs). Also, as I said, you gain them after gaining exp from certain pokemon, so they don't have to deal the final blow - simply giving them exp share should be enough.

Vitamins (carbos, etc.) give 10 EV for the specific stat they mention but can only raise up to 100 EVs total. Wings give 1 EV for the specific stat they mention without the 100 EV limit. Some berries and even NPC services in Join Avenue reduces EVs to help you set them up properly. Some held items even boost EV gain.

Why I mention this for BW/BW2? Because back then, stat changes from gaining EVs were only visible after leveling up - that is why rare candies were looked down back then unless you maxxed out the EVs. You're out of luck when you reach level 100 and had not properly trained. Now in BW/BW2, stat changes from EVs already take effect the moment you get them rather than via level up, so you can pretty much see how very easy it is. There's no limit even when you get to lv. 100 as well, so now you can properly retrain Arceus (who is also always level 100 with EV spread evenly to all stats).

Don't be overwhelmed. Pokemon has always been a highly approachable series, and Black 2 and White 2 are no exception. The systems have evolved and become more complex over time but they've always been kept at arm's length (often to the chagrin of more dedicated players, even).

Huh? I disagree - a lot of competitive players like the new, eased up features.

Pachimari

Wait, if I no longer have B/W1, I cant't get my Pokemons into B/W2? So I'll lose my Victini =;(

I'll read the above post about berries now.

zroid

Banned
Huh? I disagree - a lot of competitive players like the new, eased up features.

Sorry, should have been clearer. I was more referring to how certain "hardcore" aspects of the game like EVs/IVs and breeding are never in-your-face, perhaps to a fault. It makes the game more approachable for casuals but can be frustrating for dedicated players.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I really hate how the EV/IV system is so hidden. All that stuff should be explained in the game.

Yeah, although EVs are now a bit known via Bianca and IVs are now a bit more known via NPCs and stuff. Still, hard numbers are better.

Wait, if I no longer have B/W1, I cant't get my Pokemons into B/W2? So I'll lose my Victini =;(

I'll read the above post about berries now.

You can easily transfer them by self trade.

Sorry, should have been clearer. I was more referring to how certain "hardcore" aspects of the game like EVs/IVs and breeding are never in-your-face, perhaps to a fault. It makes the game more approachable for casuals but can be frustrating for dedicated players.

Huh? I pretty much think smogon likes those since they're now easier to use... or rather, less frustrating. You can now dictate abilities and such to pass down for instance.

So, how many hours until this is getting announced?

I'm really hoping for a huge 3D overhaul. I can't really play Pokemon any more even though the games are still good. Just too samey for me.

fates

What's kinda amusing is if it really does turn out to be Gen 6 with full 3d, everyone's going to be clamoring for RBY remakes again.

me too

Bullza2o

So, how many hours until this is getting announced?

I'm really hoping for a huge 3D overhaul. I can't really play Pokemon any more even though the games are still good. Just too samey for me.
Same here. I know BW and BW2 are good but I just can't get myself to continue playing the game compared to the DP and before.

AniHawk

i wonder if they'll start doing sequels instead of third games, and in addition to remakes and generations. a sequel to red/blue/green would be huge.

Ezalc

What's kinda amusing is if it really does turn out to be Gen 6 with full 3d, everyone's going to be clamoring for RBY remakes again.

me too

I want a 3rd gen remake. The contests were awesome and Flannery is in it. Also known as the second hottest gym leader, behind blonde Elesa.

CorvoSol

I'm totally feeling this. Make a massive map. Make the world so large and create a new tournament that brings the gym trainers from all 3 of the regions to one giant event at the end of the game.

Doesn't B2/W2 have this tournament? It's the one feature that's really got me thinking about buying it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom