• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Important new Pokemon announcement coming on Jan 8 [Up: Hyped By NA Twitter]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yea, the announcement being hyped in NA as well probably means it's something significant. I'm going to go with a mainline Pokemon announcement. I don't remember them doing any of this for Rumble Blast or Mystery Dungeon...

Anth0ny

Pokemon Black/White 3 for DS.

Why release for 3DS? The DS install base is waaaaaaaaaaaaay bigger. Game Freak don't care.

Nasley

Neo Member
vaukd.png
Officially hyped now.

I still gotta play Black 2.

This is gonna sell a lot of 3DS' methinks (assuming it's 6th gen).

bounchfx

If it's a 3DS game and it looks and plays exactly like every single other handheld pokemon ever then fuck you nintendo.

However. If it's a Wii U game and it looks and plays exactly the same as well? Then we are OVER. Give me a full 3d world!

That being said I am tentatively anticipating whatever this announcement is.

Oh wow, this may be something.

But since when do they announce new games before teasing new Pokemon? You would think the new movies would have a new one if a game announcement was close.

---

If this on the 3DS and they go full 3D I hope they nail the art design, make it slightly stylistic so they can capture the charm of the art style of the old games. 3D Pokemon games have usually looked a little off.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
iipRjVtZCTDlr.jpg

There's only three region names you can spell with the letters presented.

Hoenn
Orre
Sinnoh

Since its much to soon for a return to Sinnoh I claim Gen III to be confirmed!

NeonZ

If it's a 3DS game and it looks and plays exactly like every single other handheld pokemon ever then fuck you nintendo.

They'll be basically crippling the 3DS in the West if the next Pokemon looks just like the DS games. It'll never be a significant system seller like that.

You mention "looks and plays" there though, but, even if they do make a complete 3d world, they aren't going to dump the basic turn based combat and stats. And I don't think they need to do that.

Kokonoe

Banned
They'll be basically crippling the 3DS in the West if the next Pokemon looks just like the DS games. It'll never be a significant system seller like that. You mention "looks and plays" there though, but, even if they do make a complete 3d world, they aren't going to dump the basic turn based combat and stats. And I don't think they need to do that.

People will buy Pokemon regardless. You know how many people posted in the NeoGAF BW2 thread that they felt bad about skipping it so they purchased it so they wouldn't feel 'wrong' or 'weird'?

They could release something awful and it'd still sell, it's Pokemon.

I still think they shouldn't go full 3D yet. They should wait one more handheld generation until they can achieve Ni No Kuni graphics on their handheld. The combination of sprites and 3D like on Black/White 2 is more than enough.

NeonZ

People will buy Pokemon regardless. You know how many people posted in the NeoGAF BW2 thread that they felt bad about skipping it so they purchased it so they wouldn't feel 'wrong' or 'weird'?

They could release something awful and it'd still sell, it's Pokemon.

No, they wouldn't. Like NSMB2 and U have shown, not even Mario has that kind of power.

Black and White 1/2 are for an established console and had an audience already there, coming after Diamond and Pearl. To convince people to buy a new console for the new game, they'll need a significant and easily perceptible leap.

No, they wouldn't. Like NSMB2 and U have shown, not even Mario has that kind of power.

Black and White 1/2 are for an established console and had an audience already there, coming after Diamond and Pearl. To convince people to buy a new console for the new game, they'll need a significant and easily perceptible leap.

Of course there will be one significant leap. Or are you from the same group of people that thinks Gen I, Gen III and Gen IV weren't big leaps?

fates

I still think they shouldn't go full 3D yet. They should wait one more handheld generation until they can achieve Ni No Kuni graphics on their handheld. The combination of sprites and 3D like on Black/White 2 is more than enough.

Additionally, sprites can become a lot more defined too. Disgaea 4 sprites, for instance.

I'd prefer if Pokemon stuck to sprites.

clemenx

Banned
I'd be surprised if they go straight to GEN VI for the 3DS I have to think this is a Gen III Remake.

Either way. Hype as fuck. Pokemon never disappoints.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
I still haven't play any of the ds games. I'm not ready at all!
Well you're not gonna have long to make up for lost time now that its a yearly series in the west ~_~

2009: Platinum
2010: Heart Gold / Soul Silver
2011: Black / White
2012: Black 2 / White 2
2013: ???

Partition

Banned
Handheld.

Console Pokémon games aren't huge selelrs. They perform well enough.

Well to be fair there has never really been a huge Pokemon console game, if they made a good attempt at it and put a full blown game on consoles I would imagine it would still sell just as well.

NeonZ

Of course there will be one significant leap. Or are you from the same group of people that thinks Gen I, Gen III and Gen IV weren't big leaps?

I think they were significant leaps(although Gen III kind of hurt itself by being perceived as a step backwards from Gen II in some aspects), but those were also all accompained by improved hardware which allowed actual colors, more defined and less abstract sprites and animations. The improvement there was obvious even if the series kept the same presentation style due to how basic everything was in the beginning. I don't think the same would work this time though.

If the 3DS game looks just like Black and White but with higher resolution sprites and better overworld models, it won't be enough. They have to change the presentation style this time to achieve the same kind of noticeable progression that past gens had, especially if they want to convince people to transition to the 3DS.

upandaway

Oh wow this got really serious.

This is scaring me, I'm not ready for a new mainline. If it releases this year in English I'm so screwed.

I think they were significant leaps(although Gen III kind of hurt itself by being perceived as a step backwards from Gen II in some aspects), but those were also all accompained by improved hardware which allowed actual colors, more defined and less abstract sprites and animations. The improvement there was obvious even if the series kept the same presentation style. I don't think the same would work this time though.

If the 3DS game looks just like Black and White but with higher resolution sprites and better overworld models, it won't be enough. They have to change the presentation style this time to achieve the same kind of noticeable progression that past gens had, especially if they want to convince people to transition to the 3DS.

I say we wait and see what GameFreak is capable of achieving with their first 3DS Pokemon. I think they are able to make a great looking Pokemon that looks much better than Black & White without making it 3D.

Kacho

Not a chance in hell that it would be, BUT if this was for the Wii U imagine the craziness that would ensue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom