• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In case you forgot, Sony's refund policy is still unacceptable

Blastiel spoke with a PlayStation customer support rep called Noah to ask for a refund. He says he was told that he was eligible for a refund, but if he did get one, he'd never be able to play No Man's Sky again.

"It's a bit like, if I went into Footlocker and bought a pair of trainers, took them home, found there's a big rip somewhere I hadn't spotted, took them back and they said, you can have a refund, but you can never wear trainers again. It just seems ridiculous."

More at the link.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-08-19-no-mans-sky-refund-sony

STEaMkb

You forgot the part where Sony said the rep gave incorrect advice:

Players are entitled to receive refunds in line with the published refund policy on PlayStation.com.

In instances where players receive a refund, they will of course be able to re-purchase the game at later date and play.

Isnt there a legal requirement in some places now which was 99% of the reason Steam added it?

How are the consoles getting off the hook?

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
you can have a refund, but you can never wear trainers again.

Poor analogy. they arent saying you cant play GAMES again. Just not that particular shoe.

Why would you want to buy the same shoe that was so uncomfortable when you first bought that you had to return it.

Sony customer service is fucking pathetic but the guy got a refund. move on.

joe2187

Banned
Uhh....I've gotten a refund before and I still see the option to purchase on the game I refunded....so...what is this even talking about?

You forgot the part where Sony said the rep gave incorrect advice:

So there's no complaint here and their refunds are industry standard? Oh, ok.

Steam is certainly generous in the refunds policy but I don't expect that from Sony or Microsoft. Pc games can have fundamental incompatibilities or be broken in ways that console games rarely are. And when they are like that afro samurai 2 game, refunds can be given.

So if you refund a game and then buy it physically you still can't play it?

Sounds like bullshit. What if you are playing offline/on someone elses account?

If not, Sony's feet need to be held to the fire over this. That's incredibly anti-consumer.

Edit: I can kinda understand digitally though. PSN is built on sticks and glue. Wouldn't surprise me if rebuying a digital game after a refund threw up all manner of database errors.

ironcreed

Banned
I tried to get a refund yesterday, but was denied because they saw that the game was 18% complete. I told them the truth in how it crashed constantly, but no dice. It was worth a shot, I guess.

Meh. People from Europe have it much better than other countries in this regard. Be grateful.

If you change your mind about a purchase made from the PlayStation®Store, you can request a refund to your PSN wallet within 14 days from the date of transaction, provided that you have not started downloading or streaming your purchase.

Pre-Orders

You may cancel a pre-order of digital content at any time before the release date. If the release date has passed, you can still change your mind and request a refund up to 14 days after payment was taken for the pre-order, provided that you have not started downloading or streaming the content to your device.

Jawmuncher

MS at least gives you a courtesy refund. Used it myself recently. With Sony you better pray to any god you can muster hoping to get one. If any of these companies want digital to really take off on consoles, they need a better digital refund policy.

Edit for posterity's sake. This isn't evidence that PSN was designed poorly (even though it is designed poorly), but rather just a case of shitty support reps. I wonder if the rep in this case was poorly trained or just felt like lying. If it was the latter, I would be furious. I've worked customer service for quite some time and it just takes a bit of humility to admit when you don't know something.

At least folks in the EU get the option to request a refund. If you use PSN in the U.S. all purchases are final "except where required by law".

Isnt there a legal requirement in some places now which was 99% of the reason Steam added it?

How are the consoles getting off the hook?

With steam its more to do with allowing early access games and indie games from anyone with unity installed. That means potential for really broken or crashing games that people might want a refund for.

Elandyll

Banned
The article quotes the answer from Sony that the rep was wrong, you can still re-buy the game afterwards.

If this is a widespread answer it should be investigated though, because if all the reps give the same wrong answer it sounds like coaching for pressure on the consumer...

The article quotes the answer from Sony that the rep was wrong, you can still re-buy the game afterwards.

If this is a widespread answer it should be investigated though, because if all the reps give the same wrong answer it sounds like coaching for pressure on the consumer...

These reps are often outsourced and reading from a manual or policy site.. probably just a misunderstanding of the policy. Happens all the time on phone service.

OmegaFax

Sony's refund policy is very YMMV depending on which representative you get and what your asking to refund.

I didn't have any trouble getting a refund for No Man's Sky last week. I told the chat rep that the game crashed repeatedly and I wanted a refund. It took about 20 minutes and the funds were returned to my PSN Wallet by the end of the conversation.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
both sony/microsoft need to match steams refund policy.

i want to go all digital. well i am mostly with the odd physical disc here and there but i don't buy anything digitally on PS4 unless i'm 100% sure i know what i'm getting into because i know if i don't like it then tough sony has the money now. with steam, i don't abuse the refund policy, but i don't worry as much about making a purchase. i know if something does go wrong then i can get a refund.

Brandwin

Not defending the crappy policy, but I got a refund on NMS after chatting with a rep in like 5 minutes. I was suprised how quick they were to refund it, hardly any questions asked, other than what issue and did I trouble shoot.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Poor analogy. they arent saying you cant play GAMES again. Just not that particular shoe.

Why would you want to buy the same shoe that was so uncomfortable when you first bought that you had to return it.

Sony customer service is fucking pathetic but the guy got a refund. move on.

Thats a terrible defense. That player might reconsider purchasing it again if the developers patched the game and making it better afterward.

fernoca

The article seems to make it clear that getting a refund for a digital game you've already played means they'll delete your content license and essentially block you from ever having it again.

Based on their rules, this seems like it has something to do with how content licenses are registered to your account once you start playing vs before you start playing. Have any of you purchased a digital game, started playing said game, asked for a refund and then bought it again at a later date? That's the scenario here.
Yeah, did for one of the Dynasty Warrior games on PS4.

Other people have posted examples too.

So as noted in the same article, the original rep gave incorrect information. You can purchase the same game after a refund.

Players are entitled to receive refunds in line with the published refund policy on PlayStation.com.
In instances where players receive a refund, they will of course be able to re-purchase the game at later date and play.

Kyuur

I was able to get a refund for NMS after playing for an hour or two; called the rep, they explained that this would be a one-time-thing only for customer loyalty purposes (I've never refunded before) and that they would only refund it to my PS wallet.

Worked out for me, but I do wish they had a better policy ala Steam. Even if they just allowed 1 no-questions-asked refund a year instead of over the lifetime of your account I would be okay I think.

Logash

idk about stopping you from playing games ever again but I once asked for my friend because my friends girl's brother spent a ton of money on in game purchases. We were offered a choice to get only part of his money back and the account gets banned or nothing. We ended up getting the money from her Dad so it never got that far but man is that annoying

Yeah, did for one of the Dynasty Warrior games on PS4.

Other people have posted examples too.

So as noted in the same article, the original rep gave incorrect information. You can purchase the same game after a refund.

Well thank fuck you called me out on that. I got to a certain point in the article and thought I hit the spam-filled bottom. Edited my original post to reflect my lack of reading skills, this was just a shitty support rep.

I wish all companies followed Valve's example. Steam's refund policy is incredible and it provides peace of mind that you won't get stuck with a bad game or a bad port.

MastAndo

To play devil's advocate, it would be more like saying you can never buy that particular pair of trainers again.

Kinyou

I wish all companies followed Valve's example. Steam's refund policy is incredible and it provides peace of mind that you won't get stuck with a bad game or a bad port.
Yeah, it's crazy how easy it is to refund a game. Afaik are there no issues as long as you didn't play it for more than two hours. Plenty of time to figure out if the game runs well

Z_Y

MS at least gives you a courtesy refund. Used it myself recently. With Sony you better pray to any god you can muster hoping to get one. If any of these companies want digital to really take off on consoles, they need a better digital refund policy.

Got a courtesy refund from Sony for No Man's Sky by just telling them the game was falsely advertised. Did it through chat. The rep was super nice. It appears I could still purchase it f I wanted it though.

I've done it a few times from MS but every time it was due to some 360 digital licensing glitch or something. In those cases, I had to use the refunded money to rebuy the broken content though. I've never requested a refund because I just didn't like the game.

It may come down to the mood of the rep you're dealing with and how nice you are to them. I don't know. I wish it was more black and white than "ALL SALES ARE FINAL....but here is your money back just this one time..."

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
You can get a refund for a game, and repurchase the same game at any time. I'm thinking the rep incorrectly stated that the content they already purchased would not be accessible to them and was taken to mean that the game itself would be forever locked off, which is incorrect.

I've always had refunds (to my PSN wallet) issued with no problems at all.
For example, once I bought Guilty Gear Xrd for PS3 by mistake. Another when the game I bought went earlier for sale than scheduled on PSN and would not run properly. I then used the credit to buy the game again.

Top Bottom