• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In case you forgot, Sony's refund policy is still unacceptable

You can get a refund for a game, and repurchase the same game at any time. I'm thinking the rep incorrectly stated that the content they already purchased would not be accessible to them and was taken to mean that the game itself would be forever locked off, which is incorrect.

I wouldn't be surprise if the answer from the rep was misunderstood. He probably just said if you get a refund you won't be able to play the game again, meaning you won't unless you repurchased the game again. The gamer just didn't or couldn't put it together. If so dumbass.

ViciousDS

Banned
He says he was told that he was eligible for a refund, but if he did get one, he'd never be able to play No Man's Sky again.

well.......yes, until he rebuys it lol

they take the license away.....seems pretty standard

I think it was a miscommunication issue

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
The dumb shoe analogy and "gun to my head" line reduce my sympathy for this individual greatly.

Buying something without knowing what it is also reduces my sympathy greatly.

Nonetheless, digital refund policies need to be a standard thing. Until they are, no one should buy digital, and for fuck's sake no one should pre-order digital. I hope none of these guys in the story did.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
The dumb shoe analogy and "gun to my head" line reduce my sympathy for this individual greatly.

Buying something without knowing what it is also reduces my sympathy greatly.

Nonetheless, digital refund policies need to be a standard thing. Until they are, no one should buy digital, and for fuck's sake no one should pre-order digital. I hope none of these guys in the story did.

Redbox or Gamefly strategy suggestion possibly.

Afrodium

Banned
Last I checked you can't even refund digital preorders. Even if the product you haven't yet received is a month away you can't get your money back.

At least digital preorders are completely pointless.

fernoca

I wish all companies followed Valve's example. Steam's refund policy is incredible and it provides peace of mind that you won't get stuck with a bad game or a bad port.
This keeps been mentioned and while great, it took years for Valve to implement such policy (in 2015, Steam launched in 2003). PSN lauched in 2006, so maybe by 2018. :p

Not that is an excuse for others, but considering how even changing usernames have proven to be a hazzle on Sony's end; it seems that it could take years also in this case. Hopefully, it won't.

Roscoe182

Let me set it straight me and Blastiel both asked 2 different reps, if we took the refund we will never be able to play the game again even if we buy the game on disc.he said this was correct its sony's policy.

Curufinwe

MS at least gives you a courtesy refund. Used it myself recently. With Sony you better pray to any god you can muster hoping to get one. If any of these companies want digital to really take off on consoles, they need a better digital refund policy.

Steam took off long before they started doing refunds.

Last I checked you can't even refund digital preorders. Even if the product you haven't yet received is a month away you can't get your money back.

At least digital preorders are completely pointless.

Not true. I got a full refund for Watch_Dogs 2 last month. Literally just logged onto the online chat, asked for a refund and received it within the next week. Took less than 10 minutes.

DryvBy

As someone who did their prison sentence as a CSR, I can say that that rep just made that up. Is there documentation on this or is this common?

And people still want to shove some sort of "Why aren't you digital-only yet?" thread on every gaming site weekly..

SRTtoZ

Why is this just a Sony thing? I refunded DA:I GOTY on Xbox One and was told they were doing a one time good faith refund, which was fine by me. Then I returned Firewatch on PS4 and was told the same thing and got my money back. Why do I keep seeing people say Sony's refund policy is bad when it's really most digital storefronts?

fernoca

Let me set it straight me and Blastiel both asked 2 different reps, if we took the refund we will never be able to play the game again even if we buy the game on disc.he said this was correct its sony's policy.
It would be interesting if someone could try and check to see if this is something new. Granted, it may take a few days, since revoked licenses are sometimes not instant.

A few people, myself included have gotten refunds and were able to purchase the same games again.

When a refund is placed, the license is revoked. There's no special flags around one been revoked for a refund, another for mistake.

I've been in two situations of revoked licences: one for a refund and another after a mistake on their end. In both cases I was able to buy the game again.

Not been able to even use the disc doesn't make sense either, since the way it is handled in PS4 are different. Is why when you buy a digital copy of a disc you already had installed, you need to delete installed data and download everything again. The PS4 doesn't recognize installed games as the same as a digital copy (unlike on Xbox One).

Yeah I'm kinda not looking forward to this possibly happening to me.

But I don't buy digital on PS4 so I'll tell them to go ahead and nuke my account lol.

Edit: nvm apparently still not safe lololol

kennyamr

I wouldn't be surprise if the answer from the rep was misunderstood. He probably just said if you get a refund you won't be able to play the game again, meaning you won't unless you repurchased the game again. The gamer just didn't or couldn't put it together. If so dumbass.

SRTtoZ

Not true. I got a full refund for Watch_Dogs 2 last month. Literally just logged onto the online chat, asked for a refund and received it within the next week. Took less than 10 minutes.

Same but with Firewatch. I'm in the US btw. Just logged onto chat and told them the performance of Firewatch was shit, I want a refund. 10 minutes later it was done.

It's a bit like, if I went into Footlocker and bought a pair of trainers, took them home, found there's a big rip somewhere I hadn't spotted, took them back and they said, you can have a refund, but you can never wear trainers again. It just seems ridiculous."

More like you can never buy those specific trainers at Footlocker ever again.

Still we know this isnt true you can buy it again right so its a misunderstanding on the customers part or a poorly trained rep

Afrodium

Banned
Same but with Firewatch. I'm in the US btw. Just logged onto chat and told them the performance of Firewatch was shit, I want a refund. 10 minutes later it was done.

Nice! Glad to hear they've improved on this because it was a ridiculous policy.

I've gotten two refunds from them. Tried to get a third on NMS but they wouldn't budget.

Then again, it's like that for most console storefronts.

I've attempted to get refunds from Sony for pre-ordered games and they refused. We're talking about games that haven't been released or even pre-loaded. It's ridiculous.

autoduelist

The rep was just saying he couldn't play the version he got refunded. It's just confusing grammar for the obvious fact that once it's refunded, he can no longer play it... unless he buys it again.

DeviantBoi

MS at least gives you a courtesy refund. Used it myself recently. With Sony you better pray to any god you can muster hoping to get one. If any of these companies want digital to really take off on consoles, they need a better digital refund policy.

I had a courtesy refund from Sony this year for The Witness.

The game was unplayable for me because it made me physically ill to play it.

cooldawn

This generation of console games solely followed a PC structure and now all games seemed to have issues prior to release...just because they are connected. It's not acceptable. So, why just blame a platform holder?

The other thing is if you get motion-sickness why play games? I don't know anyone who would actively seek out a hobby if it makes them ill.

Apathy

This seems like yellow game journalism. Clearly the Rep meant you couldn't play that copy anymore. Besides if you want to get a refund why would you care if you couldn't get it again. Get y your money and move along. Still seems like Eurogamer is being daft on purpose to push a story

I must be a very lucky guy. Never had any trouble with refund with Sony Costumers Service.

Always quick, always helpful.

Bought at least 10 games for PS Vita with the wrong price (digital games were announced at 35,99 or 34,99, they charged 39,99 and refund every time the full money, some games worked after without buying again, off course bought them again with the right price, except for the Playstation All Stars Battle Royale that was terrible ¬¬, got Persona 4 Golden instead and LOVED IT S2).

The most recent refund was with Driveclub. They refunded the game after the launch fiasco, took 5 days and the money was in my digital wallet.

Eventually bought the game again at the retail after 3-4 months with a discount and don't have regrets. S2 Driveclub S2 Evolution.

But interesting, after I refunded the Driveclub Digital copy, the Playstation Store always showed the game as Unnavailable. Maybe that's the case.

renzollo

Banned
Yeah, Sony's policy sucks. Is Microsoft's any different?

My only experience with Microsoft is that I purchased Halo 5 using the wrong microsoft account (one that was not tied to my XBone). When I called them up and asked them to transfer it they offered to refund it almost immediately so that I could repurchase on the correct account. Obviously they had no way of forcing me to repurchase it once it was refunded. This was probably an uncommon situation though?

renzollo

Banned
This sounds like a threat.

I was told the same thing when I got a refund for a digital purchase of the Guild Wars 2 expansion. The explanation was something like my primary account was linked to that expansion license now and so, once I voided that expansion license, I could never link a new expansion license to that particular account. All I could think was "man, your technology and information infrastructure sure does suck"

Tjamato88

I've got two refunds from sony no problem. I don't want to defend them but that has been my experience.

Yeah I've gotten a refund from US PSN before. I bought the PS3 version of The Evil Within and meant to buy The Evil Within for PS4. They credited my PSN account and then I rebought the correct version.

stop buying digital games? at least those who're cheaper in retail, i don't get it people?

Ugh, let's not let this be the takeaway here.

Yeah I've gotten a refund from US PSN before. I bought the PS3 version of The Evil Within and meant to buy The Evil Within for PS4. They credited my PSN account and then I rebought the correct version.

Your scenario is a bit different from the one mentioned in the OP. Sony's policy states that digital games you haven't played yet are eligible for a refund. However, there seems to be some confusion as to whether or not getting a refund on a digital game you have played will permanently revoke your license.

Qaloon

I recently sold my PS4, so I wanted to cancel my pre-order for Rise of Iron. Given that the DLC didn't even release for weeks, refunding should be straight up right? Noooo.

I couldn't cancel my pre-order anywhere online or through the console, so I had to call customer service. I explained my situation, and the rep said they would process my refund (after much waiting), but called this a "one-time exception." Huh. Anyways, I waited for the amount to be posted back to my debit card given that I had actually paid real cash from my bank account.

Nope. They put that shit to my PSN wallet and there practically is no way of repatriating the funds to my bank account. This thread actually reminded me of this and now I have to go whip up a storm after work to get my money back.

Hostile_18

Banned
It is absolutely terrible.

I fought tooth and nail with them over getting a refund for "7 Days to die" as the software had terrible bugs/glitches and was generally unfinished. They denied it (wanted me to do the leg work of confirming with the developers). I asked to speak to a supervisor and was told they would be in touch within 3 days... its been about a month.

Completely unacceptable way to treat loyal consumers and had this been any other business I'd of taken my custom elsewhere. Certainly lost a lot of goodwill for the brand.

DryvBy

Pretty much everyone's refund policy is as anti consumer as laws allow.

We need our laws updated.

Problem is companies have stupid policies like this because of the few who totally take advantage of returns. Back in the 80s and really early 90s, people bought games, beat them and returned them.

Want to experience how bad consumers can be? Work at a store in returns.

Bluenoser

Shitty journalism indeed. Long ass article like that to highlight that a CSR made a mistake?

And the worst part is 90% of people who visit this thread will read neither the article, or the posts within, just the topic, and make shitty comments.

Like this one:

B-b-b-b-b-but Sony cares about gamers?

Top Bottom